Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Total Fan

Episode Discussion: 13.22 "Sea Change" {May 10, 2007}

From NBCUMV:

Quote:
A CHANGE WILL DO YOU GOOD-STANLEY TUCCI GUEST-STARS -- Kovac (Goran Visnjic) and Abby (Maura Tierney) get used to their new roles as husband and wife while Hope (Busy Phillips) and Morris (Scott Grimes) enjoy the honeymoon suite. Pratt (Mekhi Phifer) hopes to change his womanizing ways as he tries to win over a new woman. Meanwhile, there's a new doctor (guest star Stanley Tucci, "The Devil Wears Prada") in the E.R. -- and he means business. Parminder Nagra and Linda Cardellini also star.
I'm really looking forward to seeing Stanley Tucci!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Dedicated Fan

So so episode. It wasn't as interesting as last weeks episode. Another episode of TPTB trying to make us like Gates after his awful behavior of last week. I had a tremendous amount of respect for Morris being the only one to call him out on it.

Katey really proved to me what an immature brat she is and has no business at all being a doctor. She was acting like the 10th grader she accused Ray of being, first by acting like did when she first told Sam she didn't want Ray to treat her and then with Neela trying to save the patient's life in the ICU. If she can't keep her presonal feelings for Neela out of trying to save a patient's life than she needs to try something else instead of being a doctor because she won't make a very good one. One other thing, who in the world wears high heeled shoes in a hospital when you are going to be walking around all day. I work on a register in retail and if I wore high heels like that, after eight hours my feet would be killing me.

Luka and Abby were very cute in this episode as were Hope and Morris. I hope Pratt really does change his ways because him and Betina actually have pretty good chemistry.

The best part of the episode was Stanly Tucci, I have a feeling he is going to shape the ER up and certain arrogant interns are going to have a harsh dose of reality.

All in all not one of ER's best episdoe in my honest opinion.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Loyal Fan

Pretty casual episode. Not great but not bad either. No real defining storyline that stuck out. Archie and Hope are really becoming the great couple of ER. Their relationship is so unique yet perfect. Why does Neela care anymore about how Gates acts? Just ignore him. Gates only soft spot seems to be Sarah. I hope he can build on that to make him a better person. I wish Abby had the day off so we could see more of her and Luka interacting post-wedding. Stanley Tucci is a riot. I can't wait to see him as the new ER chief.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Loyal Fan

I thought this episode was very well named. VERY WELL. I felt that the tides were shifting for every single character on the show.

For some reason, this episode really riveted me. The interaction between the characters was solid and I loved it. Luka and Abby and the bikini? OMG I almost rolled out of my chair.

Hope and Morris -- how cute. And how sweet was it later when Hope admitted that it wasn't just a fling to her. The look on her face -- and Morris' face -- you could see love brewing there, I think. Let's hope this continues next season.

Neela and Gates -- I didn't like that interaction. Neela seemed to want Gates to be interested in her, and it was like a complete 180 degree turn from her feeling toward him in "I Don't", when all she wanted to do was get rid of him. I hope that didn't mean anything. I thought it was hilarious that Mae Lee had come on to Abby and Crenshaw at the wedding, as well. I wonder if she hooked up with Dubenko at the wedding, lol.

Kevin Moretti - LOVED. No other word. I am in love with the new cheif. Hail to the king, baby. Just hail.

Neela -- I KNEW she would go into the apartment. I knew it the moment I saw her knocking on his door in the promo. The dead fish were really creepy, though. You could tell she was freaked out.

Katey -- Did anyone else catch the "emergency" call that she received after she was snippy at Neela? I bet it was Ray.

Ray -- OMFG that promo was wild. I am about to jump out of my skin, waiting for next Thursday. "I trusted you!" OMFG!!!! Cannot wait to see the finale. And yet, I will also be sad that it's over for the season. I am way too drawn into this story.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Part-Time Fan

So, they closed down the whole ER for a new paint job and new admit desk? The place looked like a major construction site when Ray went in there before the wedding in "I Don't"! Why'd they tip over the lockers in order to paint!? (Or did they get a new locker room out of the deal too?)
Old 05-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Loyal Fan

They did more than just install sockets and paint, they redid the wiring which includes poking holes in the walls hence the repaint. you can also see Sam using a swipe card to get into drug lock up.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Dedicated Fan

I found this episode rather boring. Loved loved loved Luka and Abby, ofc, but yeah - I wish Abby had the day off so we could've seen them interacting more as a married couple. That would've been fantastic. The scene in the beginning with the bikini was too too good. (Luka + no shirt = fantastic drool-worthy scenes) Also at the end, before the dreaded phone call which can only be bad news... "Joe, go to bed! Now!" :ROFL:

Other than that, it seemed like a filler episode. Not really necessary. I can understand it as introducing us to Tucci, but it seemed a bit drawn out and didn't really go anywhere. I think they could've skipped it and went to the season finale. Although I'm glad they didn't cuz I cherish those Luby scenes.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Loyal Fan

Really? See, I felt this was a very moving character episode. Everyone had a parallell, a deep story to follow.

You had Abby and the woman who was afraid that after so many years with her partner, she had changed for the worse and there was nothing she could do about it. You could tell that Abby was afraid that this could happen between her and Luka. She's worried about her beautiful marriage and the potential it has to fail (as all relationships do). It was very profound.

Then you had the parallell of Triangle 2.0 - The woman and her husband and her "work husband". I thought that was very symbolic for Neela and Katey and Ray and Gates. Neela's line "Sometimes things... change" - was definitely meant to go to a deeper level than just the medical story we were watching.

You could also see parallells for Betina and Pratt (with Abby's story, with the woman and the accident). Did anyone else catch Pratt's line about "seeing the light"? What did Parminder say in her interview about Neela "Seeing the light"... and last week, Ray seemed to "See the light".

I thought there were so many deep stories tonight. Moretti and his speech about salvaging the dregs of what they saved in surgery was very deep as well, I thought. I was really pulled into this episode tonight.

I am also looking forward to seeing who Luka was talking to on the phone in Croatian in such an urgent tone of voice. Clearly, this was a day of change for everyone.

And can anyone else say "Goodbye!" to Mae Lee faster than Neela did? Because I know I won't miss her!!!

I liked Crenshaw in this ep, too. I am liking him more and more, in fact.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyDuster (View Post)
Really? See, I felt this was a very moving character episode. Everyone had a parallell, a deep story to follow.
Well... not everyone. I would've liked if they'd at least shown us what happened to Ray tonight.

I'm sorry, it was just a so-so episode for me. I guess the wedding was so good.. I haven't come down from that luby high yet. The Luka/Abby scenes tonight were quite fantastic, I needed more. I wanted to see them interacting more as a married couple.

I also admit to getting sick halfway through the episode (got a nasty infection going on) so I did miss about ten minutes. Umm.. I think I missed the discussion between Neela and Gates (argument?). What happened there?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie76 (View Post)
I also admit to getting sick halfway through the episode (got a nasty infection going on) so I did miss about ten minutes. Umm.. I think I missed the discussion between Neela and Gates (argument?). What happened there?
Aww! I hope you feel better soon!

What you missed was RIDICULOUS (in my opinion)... Neela was called down for a consult, Gates rattled off the case to her, and then he started to walk away and she got upset... they went outside and she started flipping out because he seemed "normal" and not upset. Like she wanted him to be upset that she had dumped him. He accused her of being a narcissist and wanting drama (and quite frankly, in that moment, I'm ashamed to admit I sort of agreed with him). She flipped out even more and said she didn't want drama or attention. Then later she asked Dubenko if he thought she was a narcissist, and he said all surgeons are, to an extent. I'm not sure what that whole little story/interaction was about. I hope Neela isn't really worried about Gates pining over her. I don't want the writers to make her into a narcissistic black widow who expects everyone to pine over her, that's for sure...
Old 05-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyDuster (View Post)
Aww! I hope you feel better soon!

What you missed was RIDICULOUS (in my opinion)... Neela was called down for a consult, Gates rattled off the case to her, and then he started to walk away and she got upset... they went outside and she started flipping out because he seemed "normal" and not upset. Like she wanted him to be upset that she had dumped him. He accused her of being a narcissist and wanting drama (and quite frankly, in that moment, I'm ashamed to admit I sort of agreed with him). She flipped out even more and said she didn't want drama or attention. Then later she asked Dubenko if he thought she was a narcissist, and he said all surgeons are, to an extent. I'm not sure what that whole little story/interaction was about. I hope Neela isn't really worried about Gates pining over her. I don't want the writers to make her into a narcissistic black widow who expects everyone to pine over her, that's for sure...
Thanks! Taking an antibiotic and working on the getting better part.

Ok, that does sound ridiculous. Not sure what Neela expected there. Gates doesn't strike me as the kinda guy who would lose sleep over a break-up. Maybe it will help her see that he really was just wasting her time.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Loyal Fan

I enjoyed most of the episode. The throw away references to antics we missed at the wedding were funny. Sam and Larry being played for laughs was nice too.

Luka's taste in swim wear is appalling. That is not a swimsuit I could ever possibly see Abby in. For one it was cut so low she'd be showing off her lovely c-section scar.

Moretti made an impression as he went about feeling out the ER, I liked how he twigged to Pratt and rode him hard but not without reason all episode and then we see him at the conclusion telling Anspaugh that he'd changed his mind about the position. He's sick of seeing everyone die in the ICU and wants to be where he can make a difference, the ER.

The constant references to the lapsed time between the wedding and now, as well as Ray missing were set ups for the finale and much needed I think. I didn't care for the woman with 'two husbands' and if any scenes dragged it was the one with them all in the ICU together.

Abby's patient was relevant and very telling. A lot of much-needed revelations for Abby. Some of them seemingly confirmation of all her fears about getting married again in the first place. Last year she told Luka she didn't think everyone could or should be together forever. Now she has Lucien accusing her of being a romantic because she refused to believe that after 15 years a couple could simply start hating each other.

Speaking of Lucien, that elevator scene with Neela and Mae Lee was deliciously awkward. For all three of them.

Farewell, Mae Lee, you little freak--to paraphrase Crenshaw.

I didn't care for the Neela/Gates argument but I did like that she went from there to her conversation with Dubenko where she asked him his opinion about her narcissism. Her line about men being impossible too.

I also like that while Morris was obviously preoccupied with Hope all episode, he still had a very obvious axe to grind with Gates. He is so not ready to let things drop there. Morris has his number and it's about time someone does.

Bleah Sarah and Gates. The little girl is fantastic, I just don't care about Gates.

The ending with Luka and Joe was cute. Football. But my allergies are acting up really bad tonight. I kept sneezing so I missed some dialog. Does anyone know what Luka was saying on the telephone?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubenko_junkie (View Post)
Luka's taste in swim wear is appalling. That is not a swimsuit I could ever possibly see Abby in. For one it was cut so low she'd be showing off her lovely c-section scar.
You will note, however, that she did not say no. Sounds like she planned on putting it on to me. She is his wife, and I'm sure she'd do things on her honeymoon for her hubby none of us could ever see Abby doing.

I'd be interested in knowing what Luka was saying on the phone as well.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie76 (View Post)
You will note, however, that she did not say no. Sounds like she planned on putting it on to me. She is his wife, and I'm sure she'd do things on her honeymoon for her hubby none of us could ever see Abby doing.
I think it was a snafoo on the wardrobe department's part. Another bikini and I'd totally buy that she'd put it on for him. That one? Abby is not a belly dancer, honeymoon or not.

I half expected her to continue her rant a la the paternalistic shtick from the wedding.

icon by iconillusion, text by Cranky Recaps
Old 05-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubenko_junkie (View Post)

The ending with Luka and Joe was cute. Football. But my allergies are acting up really bad tonight. I kept sneezing so I missed some dialog. Does anyone know what Luka was saying on the telephone?
Unless anyone here speaks Croatian, I don't think we can tell you what he was saying, LOL.

As for the swimsuit -- I have to disagree with the majority tonight. I thought it was hot. But you're right, it would have shown off her C-Section scar.

I find myself thinking back to the beach-bimbo-barbies from "Photographs and Memories" talking about looking perfect on spring break to Abby and Sam...