Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Total Fan

Episode Discussion: 13.20 "Lights Out" {April 26, 2007}

From NBC.com:

Quote:
ER- LIGHTS OUT 04/26/07 10/9c

A busy ER puts pressure on Kovac. Meanwhile, the tension between Gates and his father reaches a boiling point.
There is no summary on NBCUMV.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Loyal Fan

Well, here's the summary they posted over at NBC.com forums, which I think probably is what you are referring to with the NBCUMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD:
From NBC Universal Media Village

April 26th, 2007

ER --(10:01PM-11:00PM) --(TV-14)
"Lights Out"
TIME CRUNCH - STACY KEACH ("PRISON BREAK") AND ANNABELLA SCIORRA ("LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT") GUEST STAR-- A busy ER is putting the pressure on Kovac (Goran Visjnic) to take care of the overflow of cases prior to being shut down for renovations. A lonely Sam (Linda Cardellini) befriends a terminally ill photojournalist (guest star Annabella Sciorra) with a negative outlook. Pratt (Mekhi Phifer) gets a scare when his brother unexpectedly shows up in the ER. Meanwhile, the tension between Gates (John Stamos) and his father (guest star Stacy Keach) hits an ultimate boiling point. Maura Tierney, Shane West, Scott Grimes and Parminder Nagra also star.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Supreme Fan

Thanks for getting the thread up, hun. This week has been a little crazy. And GalaxyDuster, thanks for the NBCUMV summary.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Loyal Fan

1.5 hours... squee!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Loyal Fan

Let me just say before I give a critique of this episode that I think that Gates is a total creep and I do not understand TPTB's fascination with him. If anybody knows please explain it to me because it boggles my mind. He is the most dispicable character right up there with Romano in the history of the show. I thought I would be able to cut him a break because of his interaction with Sarah but I now realize that he has no redeeming value. The rift he has with his father does nothing for me emotionally. They are both creeps and losers. I wish TPTB would stop this insane exposition of this guy.

Now to the important stuff. I really liked this episode. It is without doubt the best one since we came back from the hiatus. I think it is great how they are really developing Sam's character. The story with her and the dying photographer is one of the most touching stories of the season. It is easy to see how both of them can relate to each other and I find their interaction very worthy.

Liked the storyline with Ray and the kid. Ray gave the kid great advice in the end and I think he can relate to it because of his relationship with Neela. I think that Ray is obviously great with kids, especially, troubled teen boys. It's just too bad that TPTB never explored this. I felt the storyline could have been a little bit longer and maybe should have started a little earlier in the episode instead of the middle. However, I thought it was pretty good.

It was great to see Morris hand it to Gates. Morris has really grown alot since he first came on the show and I think people are starting to take him more seriously even though he still has that crazy side to him. He has become one of my favorite characters on the show. The only weak spot in this episode was Luka(very rare I know). I just did not find his resignation believable. It just seemed to out of nowhere to me. Anyway, can't wait until next week.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Master Fan

I was actually shocked how it seemed katie actually did want more then sex with Ray. I know it was a corny line but when katie said "I put out my best" and then Ray's like "Oh yeah the sex was great".

I just started laughing so hard.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Part-Time Fan

That was a funny line slicknickshady

Err, i know it's a bit off-topic, but why are NBC promoting 'I Don't' as the season finale?! That's just to create more excitement/drama right, they haven't suddenly decided to not have 2 more episodes...just checking
Old 04-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Loyal Fan

They are promoting it as their May sweeps ep, it's an extra ten minutes and going up against a two-hour Grey's Anatomy episode and Shark's season finale. The ratings are going to kill them so they are trying to do what they can to salvage the fact that it's going to be a blood bath.

ETA: Thoughts on the Ep.

Luka is a horrible ER chief. Keeping things up to code and to meet ADA and JACHO standards are part of the job. You can't hack it, don't apply for the job. It was also grossly irresponsible to not warn the staff that there was a possibility of the ER being **** down. He needed to resign, the job does not suit him at all. Makes you wonder why he wanted it to begin with.

Morris was actually the best part of the episode for me. It was great to see Gates get smacked down and sent home. Loved that everyone backed Morris up and that he got no sympathy from anyone, even Neela. Did not love Gates going home and taking his anger out on his father. Drunk or not, he's an old man and there was no excuse for pummeling him in the street like that, and even worse, with Sarah watching. Scum.

Crenshaw's note to Neela cracked me up.

Sam's storyline was sad and depressing. There's not really much more to say about it.Wonder if she'll decide that nursing isn't for her any more.

Loved that Morris threatened to send Abby home and she tried to play the "I'm with the Chief" card and it blew up in her face. When she turned and looked at Luka, saw his expression and realized that he'd let Morris send her home was priceless. No Abby, you don't run the ER. You are still a resident.

Timmy makes the most out of his screen time. Lawn jockey, hee!

Luka? Did we leave our brain at home today? Why in the world would he assign Abby to the NICU for an indefinite amount of time. Idiot.

Poor Chaz. I hope this doesn't keep him from being an EMT. It would be nice to see Pratt and his brother bond over similar career paths.

I liked the last scene with Luka and Anspaugh but it felt like a conversation someone should have had with Luka months ago, what the job entailed and what it meant to be an administrator.

I can't even say anything about Ray's conversation with the violinist because the foreshadowing is just too twisted (and funny)

Over all, the episode was boring with random flashes of interest.

Last edited by dubenko_junkie; 04-27-2007 at 11:09 AM
Old 04-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Loyal Fan

Personally, I think ER is going to have GREAT ratings that night... IF NBC actually decides to like, you know, promote it (I know it's unlikely, but it *might* just happen...)

Would it kill them to take out a little ad space this week? People who stopped watching the show over 5 years ago might even come back to watch Luka and Abby's wedding... that's the kind of thing nobody who ever watched the show would want to miss... if they promote it right, they might really steal the ratings that night.

But, I digress. As usual.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Part-Time Fan

Haha, yep that it will be.....Thanks for clearing that up dubenko junkie, i was sure it was just something like that, but had to double check just in case

Well, quick thoughts on the episode:
The story with the return of the terminally ill photographer and sam was touching, and could well be a slight hint of a future exit arc for linda cardinelli later on in the next season, leaving to do something else, study or maybe stay on and become a nurse practioner or something. Sam's really grown on me the past couple of episodes (without alex by her side, and interesting storylines) so hope she doesn't end up going.
Awww ray, when he was talking to the violinist, he had such a sweet, loving tone in his voice when talking about being patient to 'get a girl' - i want u to get the girl too ray! Although i don't agree it was right for him to just not bother contacting katey and not telling her he didn't want to see her anymore instead of simply ignoring/avoiding her, I can't say i felt sorry for her to be honest. It's not like, IMO, their relationship has been presented more than a sexual fling, rather than a boyfriend/girlfriend full-on couple. He could've (and should've) handled it bit better tho.
Did not enjoy the gates vs father fight. And just when they were ever so slowly turning the tables (well, kind of, haha) on his character, he goes back to being a twat again. Wish they wouldn't give him as much screen-time. I can't see myself warming to that character for quite a good while (if ever).
As for Morris, the guy continues to crack me up. Also loved that he stood up to gates and didn't back down (altho u could tell he was a little worried about what luka would think on the matter hehe) LOVED the looks on everyones faces in that scene with Abby/Morris/Luka, tee hee
Re: neela, I thought they'd make it more obvious neela was trying to speak to gates cos she wanted to break up with him, which IMO, i thought that's what she was vaguely trying to getting round to do. But that wasn't made clear in any shape or form, so people who haven't been following the roomie pairing for years will think she's still leading them both on or that she doesn't have feelings for ray. Some might argue that she should have told him sooner than leaving it this long anyway, but hey, the girls got suitors lined up around the block, give her a chance Lol
And luka resigned as chief, quite matter-of-factly, no drama, and walks down the aisle as the lights go out, a fitting end. Awww, but he'll be back for a few episodes, i have no doubts on that (now i just wish the other person i do have doubts on would make some kind of announcement!)
Old 04-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Loyal Fan

ER had a little over 9 million viewers last night, Shark had 14...add into that the fact that people will watch the entire 2 hour Grey's episode and not only is Shark going to get lower numbers but ER most likely will too.

People don't tend to watch 50 minutes of a show them turn on something else for the next hour and ten minutes.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Loyal Fan

You're right, the ratings have been holding in the 9 million range, but I still have a feeling this wedding is going to draw more. It's struck some sort of vibe in me, I know it's going to be special to a lot of people. I hope it will at least garner 10 million to watch it...

@ angelfirestar*, regarding last night's ep, I know that we have been seeing Ray and Katey presented as nothing more than a lonely sort of hook up thing for Ray, but I don't think we've necessarily seen evidence of that for Katey. She's always trying to find out if he and Neela are into each other, and I don't think she would care if she was just trying to have a short fling with him. As I said elsewhere, they spent Christmas together... any girl in her right mind is going to wrap romantic fantasies around a man who spends a holiday with her, in my opinion. That's just the kind of stupid thing we do.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubenko_junkie (View Post)
They are promoting it as their May sweeps ep, it's an extra ten minutes and going up against a two-hour Grey's Anatomy episode and Shark's season finale. The ratings are going to kill them so they are trying to do what they can to salvage the fact that it's going to be a blood bath.
I am sad for the poor wedding ep and that it has ended up against those shows... would have been better to delay it a week, even if that meant having the series finale outside of sweeps... I do not share GalaxyDuster's optimism on this front! Must keep repeating *Idonotcareaboutratings, Idonotcareaboutratings*. I forget - does recording/TIVO get included in the ratings?

As for the eppy, I have not seen much of it as yet... I think the only reason Luka took the chief job was to stop Clemente getting it - once Clemente had gone away, there can't have been that much to motivate Luka to keep it I guess. He tried, he realised it wasn't for him, he bowed out.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Liana* (View Post)
I am sad for the poor wedding ep and that it has ended up against those shows... would have been better to delay it a week, even if that meant having the series finale outside of sweeps... I do not share GalaxyDuster's optimism on this front! Must keep repeating *Idonotcareaboutratings, Idonotcareaboutratings*. I forget - does recording/TIVO get included in the ratings?

As for the eppy, I have not seen much of it as yet... I think the only reason Luka took the chief job was to stop Clemente getting it - once Clemente had gone away, there can't have been that much to motivate Luka to keep it I guess. He tried, he realised it wasn't for him, he bowed out.
Ratings are calculated based on Neilson families. If you don't have a Neilson box in your household, what you watch doesn't mean a thing as far as the network is concerned.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubenko_junkie (View Post)
Ratings are calculated based on Neilson families. If you don't have a Neilson box in your household, what you watch doesn't mean a thing as far as the network is concerned.
I know that; I just remember hearing something once about the possibility of including TIVO recordings in the ratings.