Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Total Fan

Episode Discussion: 13.15 "Dying is Easy" {February 8, 2007}

From NBC.com:

Quote:
Dying is Easy...
2/8/07 10/9c
Abby and Sam try to treat an obnoxious comedian who suffers from mysterious symptoms while Neela gets to scrub in on her first kidney donor surgery. TV14
and NBCUMV:

Quote:
LAST COMIC STANDING-- FREDDY RODRIGUEZ GUEST STARS-- Abby (Maura Tierney) and Sam (Linda Cardellini) try and treat an obnoxious, aspiring comedian (guest star Freddy Rodriguez) with mysterious symptoms. Pratt (Mekhi Phifer) finds himself in hot water as he gets questioned about the death of a patient. Meanwhile, Neela (Parminder Nagra) is thrilled when Dr. Dubenko (Leland Orser) allows her to scrub in on a kidney donor surgery. Goran Visnjic, Shane West, Scott Grimes and John Stamos also star.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Part-Time Fan

I really want to see this ep, can't wait till Thursday
Old 02-07-2007, 05:08 PM
New Fan

Can't Wait!!

I’m a complete Luby but I’m looking forward to seeing the entire episode. Despite what some people think, I like Uncle Jesse. I thought his scenes with that Stephanie look-alike were nice (sorry I don’t pay too much attention to that storyline so I don’t know that little girls name).

I doubt people actually have a problem with Uncle Jesse. They just can’t stand him because his character is portrayed like a man whore. That, and he’s preventing “Reela” from happening. Hell, if anyone was in Lubys way, I’d hate their guts too.

*wishful thinking* but that last scene with L/A, it looks like Luka stands Abby up off the couch and is ready to go down on bended knees to propose...

Or he's telling her to get her lazy "couch tomato" butt off the sofa and make him some dinner.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BIGmamMA* (View Post)
I doubt people actually have a problem with Uncle Jesse. They just can’t stand him because his character is portrayed like a man whore. That, and he’s preventing “Reela” from happening.
Sorry, but I do have a problem with Gates. And it's not just because I ship Roomies. Gates is scum, IMO. He's an emotional manipulator and an emotional (and very likely physical, with the way he tossed Meg up against that wall) abuser. He has no respect for his superiors, he had no respect for the fact that Neela was in a relationship when he met her last season, and no respect for the fact that she'd just buried her husband 2 weeks before he started actively pursuing her this season. He took $100,000 from the widow of his supposed best friend with a young child to put himself through med school and then emotionally abused her to the point where she was driven to commit suicide. And in addition may have slept with said widow while she was still married to said best friend, resulting in the birth of said young child.

Sorry, but I'm getting a more than a little sick of the attitude that people who ship Roomies, don't have a valid reason for hating Gates, but people who don't ship them do, or the implication that if Gates weren't 'in the way' of Ray and Neela getting together, people wouldn't hate him. Aside from the fact that I can't stand Stamos and don't see any chemistry between Neela and Gates at all, there is nothing about his character that is even remotely likable, IMO. And I would feel that way no matter who they were trying to set him up with.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:15 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Can't Wait!!

I’m a complete Luby but I’m looking forward to seeing the entire episode. Despite what some people think, I like Uncle Jesse. I thought his scenes with that Stephanie look-alike were nice (sorry I don’t pay too much attention to that storyline so I don’t know that little girls name).

I doubt people actually have a problem with Uncle Jesse. They just can’t stand him because his character is portrayed like a man whore. That, and he’s preventing “Reela” from happening. Hell, if anyone was in Lubys way, I’d hate their guts too.

*wishful thinking* but that last scene with L/A, it looks like Luka stands Abby up off the couch and is ready to go down on bended knees to propose...

Or he's telling her to get her lazy "couch tomato" butt off the sofa and make him some dinner.
I think Abby will propose to Luka. I am hoping anyway - would be very cute!
Old 02-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Loyal Fan

Quite a few people don't like Gates for a number of reasons. I can't speak for everyone but I personally think both the character and the actor who portrays him are fairly scuzzy people.

Stamos for making sleazy comments in the press about his ex wife as well as female costars. Enough about that though, this is about Gates.

I most certainly am not a RoomieRray-Neela shipper but I find the character objectionable on many levels. Yes, he is a "manwhore" I find that disgusting. I find it a disgusting facet of Luka's past as well. There is nothing noble or charming about being emotionally manipulative or abusive to women and Gates was just that to Meg and who knows who else.

He has anger issues. Again, not charming. I don't care how angry you get it is never okay to grab a woman and shove her against a wall/window. Leads one to reasonablely speculate that Gates was physically as well as emotionally abusive to Meg.

He has major issues with authority. He is an intern. Low man on the totem pole. Not only does he lie and try to cover up his reading disability (a mature person would go to his superiors and okay the blue-tooth device he uses so that someone could quality control his notes and dictations), he also gives every one of his superiors a hard time. He's suposed to be former military, following the rank and file should be second nature to him.

He makes crude and off color remarks to his female coworkers, notibly Abby, Neela and Jane. NOT acceptable.

His appearance as unshaven and dirty does not lend an air of professionalism to his workplace. It's frankly a visual turn off. He looks like one of the homeless people they often treat as patients, not a physician on staff.

One or two of these traits and he might get a pass. All of them? Not a chance.

There is NOTHING to like about Gates.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:12 PM
New Fan

Well, when you put it that way…

No, seriously, like I said before, I don’t pay too much attention to that storyline but that scene with him and Stephanie (still didn’t get her name) was well acted out and it looked like he really cares for her so you can't help but get a flashback of lovable Uncle Jesse.

I will admit though, I’m being totally biased and ignorant because I use to be one of the millions of people who enjoyed watching him as “Uncle Jesse” on “Full House”.

I know exactly where you guys are coming from. I have a lot of reasons why I hated Carter and the way he treated Abby at times. I’m not a fan of emotional abuse and sexual harassment in any form and think crude remarks in the workplace (or anywhere for that matter) are totally unacceptable.

I can’t stand guys who think they’re “players” and act like “man whores” and I really hate it when shows pass that as being "charming" and as "guys being guys".

One of the main reasons I don’t even want to remember Lukas horny season 9 (& I’m a Luka fan) is the fact that they showed women as being "sex therapies" for men who need comfort and are on the rebound from a broken relationship and that's just not ok.

As for any John Stamos references, I'm not even gonna bother commenting on the actor that plays Gates because I don't know anything about him and could care less about his personal life. I don't read up on anybody's personal life and would rather just stick to enjoying the show.

I will end this debate though (if you don't mind) by saying it's not fair to hate an actor because of a character they portray on TV. If scripts were in their hands, I'm sure things would be a lot different.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Loyal Fan

I never said I hate the actor because of a character they portray, it just so happens that in this case the actor and the character are very much the types of people I find distasteful. I gave examples for both instances. Reading comprehension works wonders.

And before you go spouting off your likes and dislikes for a character, try paying attention to their storyline before declaring why other people don't like them. They have their reasons. Just because you liked "Uncle Jesse" doesn't mean Tony Gates is a good guy. They aren't one in the same just because the actor portrays them both.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
I will end this debate though (if you don't mind) by saying it's not fair to hate an actor because of a character they portray on TV. If scripts were in their hands, I'm sure things would be a lot different.
I don't hate the actor because of the character. I hate both because from the interviews I've read and seen, and the way the character is written, Stamos and Gates seem to be awfully similar in their personality types as far as certain topics (like sex) are concerned, and I find that crude, disgusting, and distasteful.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. Just please don't go presuming that all people who hate Gates do so because he's 'in the way' of Ray and Neela. Undoubtedly, that's true for some fans, but for many others (I myself fall into this group), there's just nothing about the character they like, and that's regardless of who he's paired with.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:17 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubenko_junkie (View Post)
I never said I hate the actor because of a character they portray, it just so happens that in this case the actor and the character are very much the types of people I find distasteful. I gave examples for both instances. Reading comprehension works wonders.

And before you go spouting off your likes and dislikes for a character, try paying attention to their storyline before declaring why other people don't like them. They have their reasons. Just because you liked "Uncle Jesse" doesn't mean Tony Gates is a good guy. They aren't one in the same just because the actor portrays them both.
"Reading comprehension works wonders."

Nice. So now you're gonna take personal attacks because I don't have a problem with a character you clearly can't stand?!

I believe I already openly admitted to being biased and ignorant on my short opinion of the character. I also don’t remember defending Gates to any extent except for when I said I enjoyed a scene with him. I also respected why you guys don't like that character and I didn’t intentionally “spout off” on my likes and dislikes and definitely didn’t think I was going to be prosecuted. I simply said I’m looking forward to seeing that storyline (possibly meaning I’m going to be paying more attention something I've already said I haven't been doing).

Different people are going to watch their favorite shows all with diverse opinions and views. Just because they aren’t equivalent to what you think, doesn't give you the right to judge or harass anybody and go out on a rampage. We’re all here for the same purpose, and that’s to talk about our favorite show and respect people who have different observations from our own.

"They aren't one in the same just because the actor portrays them both."

Thanks for clearing that up because I was getting a little worried about why they haven't shown DJ or Danny yet.

I do believe I’m quite aware of the distinction and my comments about not being interested in the actors that play the characters, clarifies that.

Quote:
please don't go presuming that all people who hate Gates do so because he's 'in the way' of Ray and Neela.
You're right, I did do that but it was completely unintentional and I do apologize for that. I wasn't expecting to be cross-examined or else I wouldn't have bothered with the damn comments in the first place.

Last edited by *BIGmamMA*; 02-07-2007 at 08:32 PM
Old 02-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Loyal Fan

Considering that you refer to one of the characters on ER as Stephanie and the other as Uncle Jesse, I thought you needed the clarification.

And that wasn't a personal attack, you are the one who spouted off what people do and don't believe then tried to put words in my mouth about "hating" a character because of the actor. I never used the word hate nor did I say I disliked Gates because of Stamos.

If you had read what I said correctly the first time you would not have responded in such a way. Therefore, yes, reading comprehension works wonders. You did indeed say that fans of Neela/Ray have issues with Gates because he is "in the way" you were corrected. As for being crossed examined, you shouldn't make general comments based on assumptions and expect people to not respond when you are in fact, incorrect. Not on a public board such as this.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Supreme Fan

*ding ding!* Okay, ladies, back to your corners, please, and let's agree to disagree.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Loyal Fan

Yes ma'am
Old 02-07-2007, 09:16 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAbbyLuver (View Post)
let's agree to disagree.~Ash
I’m not gonna argue with that.

Quote:
I think Abby will propose to Luka. I am hoping anyway - would be very cute!
Yep! I’m almost 99.5% sure they’ll have Abby either propose or agree to sign those papers and make it legit.

Don’t worry, I’m not spoiled but it’ll make more sense to have her bring it up this time. We already know how Luka feels about it and the poor guy already tried more then once but was unsuccessful. We just haven’t heard anything from Abby yet.

I think the writers would want to show that both characters are onboard and feel the same about each another and it isn’t about compromise or doing the right thing just because they have Joe; although that was made clear in “If not now”. I think that episode and those discussions were solely to assure us that it wasn’t about the baby, but the fact that they actually want to be together regardless.

I’m not even sure there’s going to be a proposal and I would laugh if the “valentine moment” is Luka simply giving Abby some jewelry or something to make up for Christmas.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Total Fan

Let's also try to keep the character-bashing to a minimum. If you don't like someone, that's fine, but we're trying to be positive on this board.