Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-19-2004, 02:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

EP DISCUSSION: "'Makemba" 10.10 {December 23rd, 2004} - RERUN

NBCMV:

Quote:
CHRISTMAS IN THE CONGO HAS CARTER FINDING LOVE AND HOPE; THANDIE NEWTON GUEST-STARS -- On Christmas Eve, a chilled emergency room staff do their best to observe the holiday while a crusading Dr. Carter (Noah Wyle) does the same half a world away in a run-down Congolese medical clinic as recent flashbacks reveal his clashes with Makemba (guest star Thandie Newton, "Mission: Impossible 2"), a beautiful native AIDS worker over the meager resources -- and they slowly fall in love. As Carter re-adjusts to the heat, filth and dangers of the region, he keeps in touch with his Chicago friends and embarks on a personal mission to save a pregnant mother who is dying of AIDS, he is confronted by anti-Americanism from his French comrades. Even so, Carter is determined to bring the joy and love of Christmas to the local children of Kisingani. Laura Innes, Goran Visnjic, Maura Tierney, Sherry Stringfield, Sharif Atkins, Mekhi Phifer, Parminder Nagra and Linda Cardellini also star. Emmy Award-winning series executive producer John Wells wrote the episode.
I know there are a lot of people around here that think it's the worst Christmas episode ever, but I love it. C/K in their sweet, worryless beginning, Carter working happily in the Congo... No complains from here.
me too.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Addicted Fan

Oh, so THAT was why NBC had this on the front page - I thought they had screwed up their agendas a bit...

I don't remember so much of this ep, but anything with the Congo is good in my book I do remember the scene at the bar/whatever with C/K, Angelique (squee!) and... Charles, was he there? Hmm, loved that scene, especially Angelique's "We get it, we all GET it!"

The world is not black-and-white. Nothing is simple.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, they put the promo pictures from it on the first page of Photography as well...

Hee, I loved that scene! Carter's "I voted for the other guy" was nice as well. But my favourite has to be the scene where Kem tells Carter she's pregnant.

Damn, I need to bust my tape [TAPE!! I love Dee] of it and watch.
me too.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mely
Yeah, they put the promo pictures from it on the first page of Photography as well...

Hee, I loved that scene! Carter's "I voted for the other guy" was nice as well. But my favourite has to be the scene where Kem tells Carter she's pregnant.

Damn, I need to bust my tape [TAPE!! I love Dee] of it and watch.
Oh, I didn't get that far - I was just there to check if they had put Soulful in the links, which they, alas, hadn't done. Big surprise

Oh, "the other guy" indeed Carter got my vote there

Hmm, where the heck are my limited stock of S10 tapes...?

Old 12-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Didn't put Wry Smile either, if it's any consulation

Yeah, mine too - and then he annoyed me a little and I couldn't understand why Kem fell for him, but that's another thing.
me too.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Didn't put Wry Smile either, if it's any consulation

Yeah, mine too - and then he annoyed me a little and I couldn't understand why Kem fell for him, but that's another thing.
I don't think they've updated that thing since S8 or so, either Smells like it to me

Yup - her problem alltogether

Old 12-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't think they did either.

Aw, but she did get a nice relationship out of him, afterall.
me too.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
I don't think they did either.

Aw, but she did get a nice relationship out of him, afterall.
Nope - the fact that The Lounge seems to be the newest site there... not a good sign

Yup, she did. I always liked the way she came home from work and they had a very normal couple-y discussion before she told him - it made you realize Africa isn't all Mai Mai and wars...
BTW, did geo project on an African country. Guess which one I chose, ::cough:: - I almost understand the politics now, but shees!

Old 12-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Is The Lounge even working still? I haven't been there in ages. The site I miss most, though? ER Daily. All the news, and presented so nicely.

I liked it, too - like you said, it made the Congo seem more normal than the image you get in the media. The politics there... scary to get into, I'd imagine - the little we get hear is more than enough to complicate me.
me too.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:11 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Is The Lounge even working still? I haven't been there in ages. The site I miss most, though? ER Daily. All the news, and presented so nicely.

I liked it, too - like you said, it made the Congo seem more normal than the image you get in the media. The politics there... scary to get into, I'd imagine - the little we get hear is more than enough to complicate me.
I think it is - I was there not so long ago. It's not as up-to-date anymore though, it seems...

That they are! Geez, it took a great deal of whining at African names and border regulations and whatnot before I understood what the deal is... Apparently there was a civil war in 1998-2003, and then "peace" and a new war on the way now... Poor souls
I didn't run into any Mai Mai though, so I wonder where TPTB got that from? I think I ran a Google search on the name once, and ending up at some French website for the Liberation of The Congo,. but...

Old 12-19-2004, 05:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't think they made up the Mai Mai, there's deifnitely a rebels group in the Congo... maybe they go by another name as well?
me too.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
I don't think they made up the Mai Mai, there's deifnitely a rebels group in the Congo... maybe they go by another name as well?
Yeah, they probably have different names - I doubt they made them up Most rebel groups seem to have names like People' Republic Army or something - Mai Mai could be a local lanuage for the same thing.

Old 12-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Apperntly Mai Mai is the name - "A subsequent report said the battles have been fought between a "unit" of Mai-Mai militia (tribal militia forces) and Congolese troops that were once part of the Congolese Rally for Democracy rebel group." {from here}
me too.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Apperntly Mai Mai is the name - "A subsequent report said the battles have been fought between a "unit" of Mai-Mai militia (tribal militia forces) and Congolese troops that were once part of the Congolese Rally for Democracy rebel group." {from here}
Oooh! Goodie - or, well... define good