Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 PM
New Fan

Does anyone LIKE Brenner?

Hi. I'm new on here & I just read all kinds of negative stuff about Brenner/Neela. Sure, I prefer Ray/Neela too, but is Brenner THAT BAD????? Does anyone out there like him at all? Sure he was an arrogant creep in a few episodes, but he cleaned up his act (as soon as Neela admitted that she wanted him) so why hold grudges?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:35 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by malka22 (View Post)
Hi. I'm new on here & I just read all kinds of negative stuff about Brenner/Neela. Sure, I prefer Ray/Neela too, but is Brenner THAT BAD????? Does anyone out there like him at all? Sure he was an arrogant creep in a few episodes, but he cleaned up his act (as soon as Neela admitted that she wanted him) so why hold grudges?
I like Brenner..ALOT. Too bad he gets bashed so much but I think it's mainly from the fact that he and Neela are together.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 PM
New Fan

Neela with Brenner or Gallant?

So what's wrong with Brenner & Neela being together? Is it only because she's not with Ray, who obviously most people like better than Brenner?

I have another question: Neela/Brenner or Neela/Gallant??????

Personally, I vote Neela/Brenner. Anyone else care to vote?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:54 AM
Master Fan

I think it's because those who are Ray/Neela fans will hate whoever Neela is dating if it isn't Ray.

The same thing happened back when there were Carby/Luby wars. Carby fans hated Luka and Luby fans hated Carter. This happens with every fandom of all TV shows I believe.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Elite Fan

I don't know what to make of Brenner. I don't hate him, that's for sure. All I can say is that David Lyons seems like a very nice guy, so I hope he hasn't read half the negativity online about Brenner. I would hate for him to take it personally.

Quote:
This happens with every fandom of all TV shows I believe.
I agree. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are.

I think what makes the Brenner hate so strong is that he has changed beyond recognition from his first appearance last season. I remember Season 14 ending and thinking, "What an aggravating character. I can't stand this guy!" Now, if last night's episode was the first ER episode I ever saw, I would probably think he was a really good guy. It is mindboggling how much he has changed in a year. So if someone is both a fan of continuity in character development, and a fan of Ray and Neela together, then Brenner isn't going to stand a chance.

I remember that I didn't like Ray at the start of Season 11. I didn't like Pratt at the end of Season 8/during Season 9. I sure as hell didn't like Luka in Season 9 either. But what made me like all three of these characters by the time they left the show is that they simply grew up, got their acts together, and made positive steps in their lives.

Brenner hasn't gotten over his demons. He hasn't really grown up or put the stuff, which made him so unlikeable at first, behind him either. He has simply buried it and I think it is going to have to resurface before I can make my mind up about the character.

One thing I can't get behind is all the Neela hate/anger I see from some people all over the Web. She bugged me in Season 10 for being such a bookworm, but Neela became a favourite of mine towards the end of Season 11/beginning of Season 12. Parminder is such a talented actress that I can buy into any choice Neela makes. Having said that, I watched Parminder on British television for years before ER, so maybe I'm a little biased in pro-Neela.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Absolute Fan

Youve got some strong points there irishghost.

First of all, if any of the Brenner hate gets to David, hed probably know its about his character, and not him.

I have to admit, I hated season14th, no not really, I didnt hate it, I just cant recall what happened in it.

I barely remmeber some stuffs, aislated, from episodes. But nothing more.

I do remember what a big dumb Brenner was, and like you said, I didnt see him growing up and becoming who he suppossedly is now.

Its like a Lana Lang situation, if anyone watches SV will know what Im talking about.

I even have to say, that despite Banfield being a tough at the beggining, you could see the reasons behind it, and how Morris was able to crack her a bit. Shes still tough, but not rude or over the top.

Even Gates, I cant believe Im saying this, had some growing up to do ever since season 13, cause his appearance before cant even count.

He had to face Megs death, taking care of Sarah, thinking she could be his daughter, then getting into Sam, winning Alexs trust. And then he blew it all, thats true, but he learned something, and from last nights episode, you can tell Sam knows it.

But Brenner... he arrived being the chiefs boss, and getting his job for it.
He went after Neela, and not sure what happened, but they slept together in the 14season finale. She said in the first epi of the 15th that she didnt want anything else.

He slept with the med student then, and treat her like crap after. Next day, he woke up, and was a new man, acting nice around her.

Only to try and get Neela back. When she was obviously with someone else and not interested.

Since that wasnt enough, he went to her place, without invitation, and she kicked him out.

Then, he shows at work and sleeps with a blond girl.

Some time later, not sure why, Neela thinks she likes Brenner at some level, enough to sleep with him. But, the relation must stay in the shadows... and we never know what happened with blondie.

Yesterday, he invited her to Italy for Valentines...

Can you see how many problems are there with this?

-Hes a total stalker.
-He hasnt grown up a bit, he cant even see that Neelas just not interested!
-And I dont know where his story is gonna go, but I cant see myself liking him a bit.

I dont know whats wrong with the TPTB, but the whole dinamic they use for Brenners character, quite similar to the same they used in the past, about him arriving as a bit of an idiot, and then getting into some grown man, isnt working.

Not only he hasnt evolved, but that way of dealing with characters is lame and lamer every day. Its been done, may have worked, but they need to make people like characters or hate them.

Not to hate them and then try to change our minds with some amazingly not real make over!
Not only we wont buy it, but the whole trying to make us like him, even if they have to get him into our throats for it, will only made us hate him harder.

Yes, hes in the Roomies way, and thats not a good place to be... look what happened with Michael [LOL Totally joking, I loved Mike.]

So yes, he'll get some hate from those who want to see Neela with Ray, just because he's in the way.

BUT, his whole character doesnt help to make him tolerable while we wait for Reela to happen.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:01 PM
New Fan

You know? I fully understand people’s dislike towards Brenner on the ‘Reela’ scale. Yes, when characters get in the way of a fandom, there is bound to be backlash. I hated Tony Gates (and still kind of harbor something against him) because of S13. With Gates and Neela, I felt like there was no build up…just a bunch of steaminess with nicknames and weird looks.

I feel like Simon and Neela do have chemistry (and you all are free to disagree with me). And if there were no Ray in the picture, I would love for Simon and Neela to be together.
I find that in their case, Simon and Neela, there was a build up. (Nothing to the extent of the Roomie-ship, of course). Yes, it was short and yes it kind of came from left field. But there was definite attention given to their budding friendship in every episode of the season (minus Heal Thyself, I think), showing the importance that the writers wanted to give. It’s kind of text-book romantic comedy writing – starting out in an ‘awkward shag’ (which in and of itself shows an attraction) to a sort of love/hate relationship on the woman’s side, turning into friendship (while the man continues to lightly pursue), turning into a relationship (where the woman finally relents).

All of that being said, I do think that Simon’s character has genuine feelings for Neela. They came about quickly (but sometimes those things happen), yes, but they’re there. And the intensity of his feelings? Well, he's liked her longer than she's liked him, i believe. He's had more time to consider her with romantic value, thus making him more invested. Sadly, relationships are hardly ever 50-50. I think he’s genuinely trying to be a good companion to her, trying to do things for her that he thinks she’ll like. Prime example: promising a trip to Venice. I don’t think that’s stalkerish. I think it’s sweet, a little much, but i think he's not looking at his relationship with Neela as a fling (like many of us fans are) and therefore, sees no problem with a trip. It's a definite reflection to what David was quoted saying “Simon’s doing everything he can to let Neela know he’s right for her.”

Romantically speaking, sometimes it takes a love interest to change someone. Mix that with the reminders of horrific experiences in the past for him and the environment that they work in, Simon was sure to come to humanity some time or another. TPTB chose to do it then and in that way. I think there are still things haunting him and they will come to fruition later on, I’m sure. But as of right now, I believe that he really cares for her the way he knows how. Unfortunately for him, although she seems to care about him a good bit, it is quite apparent that he is more into it than she is.
To be truthful I'm sure that the writers have things up their sleeves. There’s a reason why they’re doing this love-triangle sort of thing. I’m sure that they wouldn’t disrespect the support that roomie-fans have given over the years by allowing Neela to not be endgame with her Ray.

Last edited by Belle08; 02-20-2009 at 12:07 PM
Old 02-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Elite Fan

I watch Smallville, so I get the Lana reference. She had about 40 different personalities in 8 seasons. From waitress to witch, to a Luthor, to a super woman? Makes my head hurt.

With Brenner, it comes down to sloppy writing and not enough time to make the character legit. Brenner got brought in as a sterotypical villain who the audience was supposed to hate. Now he's Mr "I wanna go to Venice, treat you like a queen, be your one and only, and make you mine after 5 seconds of dating". The two don't really fit together, so he is never going to be well-received by most of the audience.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Master Fan

Irishghost said something key in his first post in this thread that he has changed so much...since hhe first episode.

You can't make a 180 change like that so quick...you just can't. that's why i believe he is going to fall deep in coming episodes. something is just so phony about him. I don't believe he's changed at all since the first time he appeared on screen. He is still a villian who we are supposed to hate.

Also...any actor who takes people hating the character they play personally is a pretty sad individual. I doubt David Lyons would take it personally a lot of people dislike his character.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Elite Fan

All I mean about David Lyons is that he might think fans have a problem with his portrayal of Brenner and that's not the case. It's the writers who people have a problem with.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Dedicated Fan

ITA with everything you said Belle !

Quote:
He is still a villian who we are supposed to hate.
i'm sorry but how is he a villain lol...and i dont think we're supposed to hate any of the main characters. everyone has a different opinion - even characters crenshaw and romano (who were rude and aggravating with few redeeming qualities) had loyal fans lol.

i think its weird how some people are annoyed that he said he liked neela then slept with other people. was he supposed to hold out for something that might've never happened? and its not like we see him witha different girl every night - that may have been the case in his first ever appearence but it certainly isnt now
Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Elite Fan

In yet ANOTHER character change, Brenner is seen beating on a car in the promo for next week's episode while Neela looks with a "WTF?" look:

So we can now add "insane" to his list of attributes.

But seriously - what the hell brings about this flip-out?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:52 PM
New Fan

Ohh thanks, EdsBlueEyes, and you are too true in regards to him being with another girl when neela shot him down.

if nothing else, bravo to David Lyons for portraying every emotion that the writers have thrown at him so convincingly that it makes us question it.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Elite Fan

Fair point. I really disliked Brenner last season, but I almost believe his sincerity in recent episodes. David is doing a good job. I wonder if he knows the outcome for Brenner, or if he is only being told, "This week, you're a good guy. Next week your bad. The week after that, we'll go straight back to good."
Old 02-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishghost (View Post)
I watch Smallville, so I get the Lana reference. She had about 40 different personalities in 8 seasons. From waitress to witch, to a Luthor, to a super woman? Makes my head hurt.

With Brenner, it comes down to sloppy writing and not enough time to make the character legit. Brenner got brought in as a sterotypical villain who the audience was supposed to hate. Now he's Mr "I wanna go to Venice, treat you like a queen, be your one and only, and make you mine after 5 seconds of dating". The two don't really fit together, so he is never going to be well-received by most of the audience.
Yeah, but also, in my comparison with Lana, I was talking about her newest and final arc.

They expected the fans to believe her character had changed after 7 months, when she hadnt done that in 7 years.

Same Brenner, were suppost to believe hes changed ever since he showed up, because now he doesnt treat bad the med student...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdsBlueEyes (View Post)
i'm sorry but how is he a villain lol...and i dont think we're supposed to hate any of the main characters. everyone has a different opinion - even characters crenshaw and romano (who were rude and aggravating with few redeeming qualities) had loyal fans lol.

i think its weird how some people are annoyed that he said he liked neela then slept with other people. was he supposed to hold out for something that might've never happened? and its not like we see him witha different girl every night - that may have been the case in his first ever appearence but it certainly isnt now
I think some characters are introduced to be hated. Even if they arent the Lex Luthor type, theres always a bad guy in shows, because if there werent, theyll be all the same.

I dont think of Brenner as a villain, but hes no Mark Green for instance.

Hell never be the doctor everyone else would look up to, and cry about. Remember how terrible was Romanos death, and how Lizzie was the only one who seemed touched by it.

And I only mentioned the blond he slept with, not for being annoyed or wanting him to give Neela an explanation about it. I wish he wasnt with Neela, so whatever happens with them, I hope isnt something that would happen in a long term relation, which a "who the blond girl was and why isnt anymore" talk would mean.

I only brought up that girl back, cause Neela saw him with her, but most importantly, we did.

So, since there was no on camera closure for it, we should assume he stopped sleeping with her without even informing her?

That all of a sudden that story was dropped for the sake of more Roomies fans angst?

Not only they introduce new characters too close to the end, but they give poor closure to their storylines...