Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-01-2016, 08:23 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERussia (View Post)
It's not against rules?
I'm not actually sure, but I don't see why it wouldn't be permitted.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

ERussia, you can only change your username if: you're a moderator OR you have more than 100,000 posts, that's the rule. As for multiple accounts, I don't think that's allowed, but you should check with Jerry.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hey guys, hope you're all having a great Saturday Mine has been cool, I've been searching for ESL activities, such as scavenger hunts and fun indoor activities. That's technically work, but I woke up feeling like doing this, so

Anyway, I have a question to all of you native and non native English speakers: do you know of a good website or YouTube channel where I could find easy songs in English for kids? I teach 3rd, 4th and 5th graders, and I don't want something that is too difficult for them (like songs with long lyrics) or too easy (as in silly). Stephen recommended British Council, do you know any others?
Old 09-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hey guys, hope you're all having a great Saturday Mine has been cool, I've been searching for ESL activities, such as scavenger hunts and fun indoor activities. That's technically work, but I woke up feeling like doing this, so

Anyway, I have a question to all of you native and non native English speakers: do you know of a good website or YouTube channel where I could find easy songs in English for kids? I teach 3rd, 4th and 5th graders, and I don't want something that is too difficult for them (like songs with long lyrics) or too easy (as in silly). Stephen recommended British Council, do you know any others?
Old 09-04-2016, 03:21 AM
Ultimate Fan

I have no idea... sorry. I know Youtube channels to learn english but not songs
Old 09-04-2016, 05:00 AM
Elite Fan

I had a look for some more resources, but none that are free.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's okay, guys, I ended up finding more YouTube channels after a lot of searching, thanks anyway!
Old 09-06-2016, 08:07 AM
Addicted Fan

Hi guys!

Sorry for not posting for a while (again). The last month has been kind of crazy for me. My school started last week and before that I was working like crazy. I didn't have any vacation between working and school so I've been really tired.

I started my teacher studies now. It's exciting and sooo different (and more demanding!) than my previous studies. In my uni you do one year of only teacher studies if you're becoming a subject teacher, so this whole semester will be just those for me. This first week has been fun but exhausting. The rest of this week we will be in a school watching lectures and doing some group work relating to that. Should be fun.

This fall will be really busy for me, but I'll try to post whenever I have the energy.

How's everyone doing?
Old 09-06-2016, 01:45 PM
Master Fan

Hi all

I'm so so so so so soooooo sorry for not posting for a while too, I feel so miserable about it today I tweeted with Ainara and I really felt I should post here again. I miss coming here every day like it used to be before, but my life is so stressful right now...well, since I started nursing school. It's depressing...I feel depressed most of the time now because I'm so scared to fail the final exams...I really should go on writing my thesis, but I just don't find motivation in doing it. Right now I'm working at the ICU and I LOVE it so much there...I wish I could just stay there, work there, earn money again and not go back to another ward and then to another ward and so on an study after a 12,5 hour ship...it's nerve wrecking and I don't know how to do it. I really have no idea...

And then here I am watching ER and D/C scenes instead of doing something for school...isn't that sad? When I see Carol, I always think - man, I just want to bee such a good nurse as she was! - and then I think: well, you need to do something for school then...and then I think: who cares, still some time left for that can somebody shoot me pls? I wouldn't mind at all.

Yeah, that's me. Every time I come here I cry about my life, right? Sorry guys. I hope you're all okay and I hope you're not too mad at me. I think I should really try to come here more often. I really miss it. I miss being a part of it...somehow I feel like a stranger here already

Hope you're all okay
Old 09-07-2016, 04:50 PM
Elite Fan

Sandy, just take a massive from me. Miss you here, but you never need to feel bad about not posting.

Mirjami - Good luck with your teaching studies! I'm doing my training this year to teach in secondary schools after leaving my post at a college for students aged 16+. Hopefully we can swap horror stories.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh, if you want teaching horror stories, you sould've just asked me I have about a dozen every week.

Like, last week, the horror story was that a student was making it impossible for me to teach cause he kept disturbing literally everyone in class. In the middle of that, one student, out of nowhere, started crying, like, desperately crying, I thought she was having a panic attack or something. So I went to her, and she told me her uncle had been arrested (most of them have parents and/or relatives in prison, mostly for drugs) and she felt guilty about it (she never told me why, but I imediately thought abuse, maybe), and while I was dealing with that, I asked another student to get the vice principal to talk to that other student, who was STILL cause trouble, and calling all the girls WHORES on top of everything. You know what happened?? She came into the classroom, yelling at ME becuase "THERE ARE CERTAIN SITUATION WHERE *YOU* HAVE TO BE THE AUTHORITY", while I calmly explained what was going on, instead of telling her to shove that attitude up her ass, like I wanted to do. I felt SO humilliated, I literally HAD to cry for a while after class. Even the students were appalled by her attitude and reassured me none of that was my fault. I swear, 99% of the time the problem of teaching kids is NOT the kids at all!

This week's horror story was yesterday. I was there, trying to do my job (TRYING is ALWAYS the key word) with the students who were interested, while the others were just there doing nothing, ignoring my existence. I'm 1000% done with that kind of student, so what I say is, you don't wanna do anything, fine, just don't disturb the ones who DO and me. Some of them do leave us alone, others don't, some do for a while and then don't, and once in a while I have to tell them off because they start yelling and running like they're at a park or something. Anyway, yesterday we got to that point where I had to stop and do that, and I aked a group of girls who literally didn't do ANYTHING AT ALL during the whole class what was so interesting over there that they couldn't participate in class for one minute, cause if it was so cool, I'd like to share with the rest of the class as well, and I said "come on I'm waiting, share with us" and one of students said, queitly, as if no one would notice "keep waiting". You know, when this kind of disrespect comes from a problematic student, I don't even care, because we're always somewhat prepared for those, you know they have no respect even for themselves, let alone a teacher they see once a week. But when it comes from someone like this girl, who I never had any problem with, it hurts. It hurts because it's disappointing. I ended up sending her outside, cause I didn't even wanna see her face anymore, or I would seriously call her a bunch of names or something. And I know that's awful, but seriously, I did NOT go to college, I did NOT study all these years, to have to deal with this kind of disrespect. And I sure as hell am NOT paid enough to accept that.

But, because that's not enough, I talked to my coordinator during break, about this issue. You know what she and the teachers who were nearby did?? They LAUGHED Because surely being disrespected by a student in front of all others isn't bad enough, you have to get that from your colleagues and superiors as well! I never felt so mocked, seriously, I came home and, again, I cried, because I thought, I must be really ridiculous, I mean, clearly I inspire no respect in some students, even supposedly good ones, and I've got zero support from my team. And I'm even more ridiculous to have thought any of them would listen and support me. Teachers can seriously be the WORST. You know moms who think they are better moms than all the other moms out there? I'm working at a place where literally every teacher thinks they're the best teacher and when you share problems like this they're all like "whaaaaaaaaaaaat that would NEVER happen to me, no way, *I* would never let that happen!" (as in, you're a moron who has no authority and it's your own fault you're going through this).

Tonight I started sending out resumes for next year, cause thank God my contract is almost done. I fear being unempolyed again, but at the same time, I SO do not wanna work at this place anymore
Old 09-08-2016, 06:10 AM
Master Fan

Awww thanks Stephen, sometimes a hug is all that I need

Oh Sis, that sounds so horrible! I wouldn't wanna be in your place and I really don't know what to say people can be so cruel, it's awful
Old 09-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Addicted Fan

Hi Sandy! Here's a from me too. Sorry to hear that you're so stressed. But you shouldn't feel bad about watching ER, sometimes you just need a break and some D/C love. And feel free to talk to us any time.

Quote:
Mirjami - Good luck with your teaching studies! I'm doing my training this year to teach in secondary schools after leaving my post at a college for students aged 16+. Hopefully we can swap horror stories.
Thanks! Yeah, I'll do my training in junior high and high school. Pretty sure there will be some horror stories. Although the schools where we do our training in are pretty good schools. In Finland we have these "normal schools", which are under national university administration. So they're schools to teach both kids and future teachers. So the kids are usually more easy to deal with than in an average school and they're used to trainee-teachers. So, maybe (hopefully) I won't have such terrible horror stories to tell as Ju!

Speaking of which, wow, Ju, that sounds so bad. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with all that every week!
Old 09-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Elite Fan

God, Ju. I can't believe what you have to put up with. The worst part of reading that was seeing how you had zero support from your team. Colleagues should ALWAYS hold each other up.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Master Fan

Yep, nothing worse than bad colleagues

Today I wrote two pages for my thesis *feeling strong*