Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Master Fan

Character Spotlight: Haleh Adams (Recurring: Season 1 - Season 15)

From Wikipedia:

Haleh Adams, portrayed by Yvette Freeman, is a nurse in the ER of County General Hospital. She is one of only six characters to appear in every season. Although her appearances were quite limited in the 1997-1998 and 1998-1999 seasons, as Freeman was appearing in the sitcom Working, she was able to participate in the pilot episode. In the 2002 season she returned with a new appearance after losing 120 pounds, but has subsequently gained some of the weight back.

Haleh is a confident and skilled nurse who at times displays a motherly disposition to the staff. Not one to be taken for granted or put upon, Haleh stands up for herself; often making her point with a sharp sardonic wit. She has been Nurse manager two times over her 35 years at county; in 1997 when Carol Hathaway was home following a drug overdose and between 2000 and 2002. She has sung at both Christmas and Halloween parties in the ER. Haleh has been fired for short periods twice: during one episode in season 9 ("Finders Keepers"), she was fired for a few hours by late chief of emergency Robert Romano, but returned when Romano knew that nurses had lots of syndicates to protect them. In season 12, the new chief nurse Eve Peyton made Samantha Taggart fire her but she was later rehired. She was the only nurse, besides Abby, who was seen paying respects at Mark Greene's funeral.

A Few Clips:

1x24 Carter and Haleh grade Benton

6x21 Haleh and Lydia pick on Abby

9x5(?) Haleh tells Abby why she signed Chuny's petition

Have a favorite scene/line? Caps or clips? What did you like most/least about Haleh? Would ER have been the same place had she not been around, or had left during the show's run?
I love you but, I don't even know why
Old 06-25-2009, 03:07 AM
Elite Fan

OMG, I adore Haleh! She is the Queen of the ER, and while the show could have existed if she was never in it, it would not have held the same charm if she had ever left. Some of my favourite Haleh moments:

- When she sang a child to sleep while the ER was in absolute chaos during 'Blizzard'.
- In 'Old Times' when she talked about the PCP patient from Season 1 who smashed the windows of the trauma rooms while strapped to a gurney.
- Her sad reaction when Carol said she might go to med school. The camera barely caught it because the reaction occurred in a wide shot with lots of characters in frame, but Yvette played it brilliantly anyway. Unlike a lot of actors, she didn't need a close-up to commit to the scene.
- The scene in 9x5 which Avery linked to (where she tells Abby why she signed Chuny's position).

The thing I loved the most about Haleh was her unwavering loyalty and commitment to the nurses. But it was also responsible for my least favourite memory of Haleh which was, during the nurses' dispute with management over their contracts, Haleh accused Carol of leaking damaging information to give the nurses a disadvantage. I thought it was really low for Haleh to suspect Carol of all people, but it went to show how deep her loyalties ran.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:10 AM
Elite Fan

Damn, I didn't even know this was a double post!

Last edited by I'm Not Dead; 06-25-2009 at 09:01 AM
Old 06-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Elite Fan

Haleh.
Do you remember when he made Benton write down all of his orders because he had been nasty to her?
icon: Permanent_99
Old 06-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Master Fan

In a lot of ways, Haleh was the heart of ER. She kept the place running long after originals had left and their replacements had left and on and on. It's so true what she said to Abby about how doctors come and go, but the nurses remain. The show would have survived without her, but some of the most memorable quirky moments would have been sorely missed.

I loved loved loved when she and Carter graded Benton in Season 1. Soo funny. And Vale mentioned her making Benton write his own orders. hee! She never cut Benton any slack. He might have thought he was a surgeon god, but Haleh never let him pull that BS with her. She never took any crap from the doctors, and I respected her a lot for that.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Supreme Fan

I remember that scene, valeposh. I can't remember which episode, or I'd go hunt it up on youtube. It was fabulous.

Haleh has always been my favorite nurse. Her loyalty, her no nonsense attitude, the way she kept everyone in line... and her lines, oh my god. She has had some of the best lines in the show, I swear. I have a couple clips I want to make to post. I was going to do it today, but I got busy and didn't have time. I will try to get to them tomorrow, though, because they're just too good not to share.

If anyone else has clips, or caps or anything, feel free to post them.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:54 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I remember that scene, valeposh. I can't remember which episode, or I'd go hunt it up on youtube. It was fabulous.
YouTube - ER ''Emergency Room'' 1995 season 1 - Peter Benton v.s. Halleh "I'm not comfortable taking verbal orders."

I find it so sweet that Haleh kept all the name tags of the past doctors. It was a very sweet moment to see tags of Mark and Doug up there.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:33 AM
Master Fan

I loved Haleh on ER. She was always down to earth, the rock in the ER. My favorite scene with her is when she calms the little baby down when the ER was a total chaos! And she had a great voice, I loved her singing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeposh (View Post)
I find it so sweet that Haleh kept all the name tags of the past doctors. It was a very sweet moment to see tags of Mark and Doug up there.
Man, I remember crying like a baby when I first saw this! Sad how many charackters left the show! But I thik it's sweet too that Haleh kept all the tags on the wall!
Old 06-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Supreme Fan

Thank you for finding that clip! God, this woman rocked so hard. To this day, she's my favorite recurring character. The only one I love as much as her is Frank. I need to make those clips later if I can get Moviemaker to behave itself.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Master Fan

Yes, yes you do. I want to see the interns bounce one hee.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:16 AM
Master Fan

I found a cap I made with Haleh and Carol and the twins:

Old 06-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Elite Fan

Awww, cute. I don't remember the scene, gotta rewatch s6.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Total Fan

Great cap

Haleh was awesome, I love the original nurses

It was so sad when Sam was forced to fire her, but then great when she decided to rehire her behind the head-nurses back (I can't seem to remember her name...?)

Quote:
I find it so sweet that Haleh kept all the name tags of the past doctors
That was one of my favorite things ever I love the scenes where she takes Abby & Neela down there

Last edited by LukaAbbyLover; 06-29-2009 at 08:54 PM
Old 06-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Elite Fan

I love that even Maggie Doyle's name was up there. I loved her character, and it is incredible how long she was on the show (3 years) on a purely recurring basis.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Elite Fan

The second cap is . Love seeing all the names up there, Del Amico (loved her) and everyone else... even Malucci.
And there are some producers up there as well.