Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2020, 06:17 PM
Elite Fan

Me too!
Old 10-18-2020, 06:20 PM
Moderator Support Team

Do you think the show always intended to go this route with Ryan/George? Like was it always supposed to be viewed as a "bad thing"? Do you know what I mean?
Old 10-18-2020, 07:04 PM
Elite Fan

I think I know what you mean! I kind of want to say yes. I think I remember Kennedy saying somewhere that the writers weren't really "winging" anything with the show, they had a pretty clear direction from the start, so I feel like they probably knew where they wanted it to go and that they wanted it to look bad. Also they kind of want to show to have a feminist message, and I think George standing up for herself definitely goes along with that. What about you?
Old 10-18-2020, 07:21 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold-steps (View Post)
I think I know what you mean! I kind of want to say yes. I think I remember Kennedy saying somewhere that the writers weren't really "winging" anything with the show, they had a pretty clear direction from the start, so I feel like they probably knew where they wanted it to go and that they wanted it to look bad. Also they kind of want to show to have a feminist message, and I think George standing up for herself definitely goes along with that. What about you?
Well...IDK if I believe that they weren't "winging" it...because you can tell they changed the direction of some of the relationships and characters...

I think they implied the Ryan/George thing was "wrong"...BUT...because the show had a soapy vibe early on...it wasn't until certain revelations about Ryan's character and the evolution of the Nick/George relationship that they felt the need to really hammer how unhealthy it was home. They needed to address it especially if Ryan was going to be viewed more as a sympathetic character.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:23 PM
Elite Fan

Oh yeah I think they might have emphasized how bad it was than they originally planned. I don't think they originally planned George's rant scene and maybe just added it when they realized they needed to emphasize that.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:40 PM
Moderator Support Team

You have to remember that Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage (the people behind The OC and Gossip Girl) were heavily involved in the Pilot. They co-wrote it with the creator. The show had a VERY soapy vibe early on...even with some of the scares....and I wonder if the intention was to have it be like a scary Gossip Girl? But then after the show was picked up...another showrunner was brought in and it seems like she had a different take on some of the stuff that was originally set up and that included the George/Ryan stuff.

I mean...they HAD to address it regardless since he's Nancy's bio dad...but I wonder if they wanted it to be seen as more "soapy" and "scandalous" than unhealthy.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:18 PM
Elite Fan

Wait how did I not know that I knew about the different team, but not that it was also people who worked on the OC and GG....how soapy it was early on makes a lot more sense now.
Quote:
scary Gossip Girl
Yeah it seemed a little more like that at the beginning! And I think the George/Ryan thing might not have been as big a deal on a show that was supposed to be "scary Gossip Girl".
Old 10-18-2020, 08:28 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
And I think the George/Ryan thing might not have been as big a deal on a show that was supposed to be "scary Gossip Girl".
Oh that's mild compared to the stuff on Gossip Girl.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:18 AM
Elite Fan

I've actually never seen it. I've seen some clips and gifs and stuff though and yeah it looks messy.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:56 PM
Moderator Support Team

I would avoid it at all costs!
Old 10-19-2020, 04:35 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken crown (View Post)
Do you think the show always intended to go this route with Ryan/George? Like was it always supposed to be viewed as a "bad thing"? Do you know what I mean?
see i think they did the route to be drama and a secret to show they all have secrets that they want to hide from

Nancy : was her parents and the dress and saving that kid
Bess : being poor and from england
Ace: working with the cops
Nick : have goen to prison
George : was sleeping with an older man while in school
Old 10-19-2020, 05:19 PM
Moderator Support Team

Yeah...I guess...but the Ryan/George thing just seems extra soapy. Everything else wasn't nearly as bad IMHO.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I know right? Poor Ryan (in this sense...I still hated the whole Ryan/George thing).
Same here, that was probably my least favourite part of S1
Old 10-20-2020, 04:15 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Yeah...I guess...but the Ryan/George thing just seems extra soapy. Everything else wasn't nearly as bad IMHO.
Yep I agree with that im glad it didn't last long
Old 10-20-2020, 04:32 PM
Moderator Support Team

It just doesn't really go with the overall "feel" of the show now either.