Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2020, 08:34 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

I'll post my thoughts in a separate post...

Quote:
Ace is in an awesome souvenir shop shirt and I kind of love it
He's their best customer!

Quote:
(Side note did we find out what the Hudsons were paying him for and why it was from a shell company? I don't remember)
Yes, in episode 1x17, he says it was for "services rendered". So it seems like Carson went to the Hudsons and asked for his paycheck and I guess it was 50K?! And they used that money to flee to Europe.

Also, Carson being a hit man would have been the best twist ever.

Quote:
And now Nancy knows that Ace hacked the government but not why and she doesn't trust him....this was a rough episode for my shipper heart
I think she was just saying that because it's in her instincts to push people away when they don't "live up to her expectations". Even though Ace had a reallly good reason for not saying anything. AND...it's not like he really impeded their investigation. PLUS...Nancy keeps ALL sorts of secrets. Kinda ironic she's talking about trust when she doesn't trust ANYONE...especially in this episode. Also, interesting parallel...probably unintended...Nick dumps Nancy because of the trust issues...but Ace nearly gets killed trying to prove Nancy could trust him. Could just be my shipper googles..but...

Quote:
I'm super excited to read your thoughts Susan! I remember you calling this episode a reboot in the 1x06 thread last week. I can kind of see it-a lot of things shift this episode. But I'm sure you'll explain it better
I tried.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:38 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

1x07 REWATCH
  • PREVIOUSLY ON NANCY DREW...
  • So we're revisiting the Lucy Sable "urban legend"...creepy nursery rhyme.
  • "Denial. Small-town USA's biggest past time." Yeah a few characters are in definitely denial during this episode!
  • I love how she's bouncing ideas off Ace and Bess. And how Ace just casually starting putting two and two together. Nancy was impressed!
  • "Get your hands off my chest." Poor pissed-off George.
  • It's kinda funny how Nancy all of a sudden is bothered by Ace's cell phone ringing? I mean everyone gets calls? So maybe he got more calls earlier that day for her to notice? LOL.
  • Isn't it kinda of horrible how McGinnis is holding "the deal" over Ace's head? I mean...McGinnis is portrayed as pretty shady in beginning of the show. If he was giving Ace a break, why does it always feel like he's blackmailing him into stuff?
  • Nancy looks very, very intrigued. Like she wants to ~figure out the mystery that is Ace. Well...good luck girl. It's going to take a while! LOL.
  • Ugh Nick/Nancy. Although Nancy is kinda dumb here. Like is she really that clueless about what went down last episode with the coins and with Nick's issues with Owen?! Is she really that stupid?!?!
  • So...if Nick left early...did that mean he ran out of the back door or did he just like walk by Owen and Nancy flirting to go back to his place?
  • Also....MAJOR Nick/George vibes! She knows his COFFEE order (something Nancy would always bring him after their hookups). And we all know the way to Nick's heart is through his coffee.
  • Why are they still messing with these haunted coins? LIKE...has nobody watched a horror film before!?!?
  • Also, Nancy still mentioning Owen and just NOT realizing that it truly bothers Nick. He's not joking girl!
  • How did Nancy find the society pages from 2000? Were these listed on-line? Did she find the society page yearbook?
  • Oh poor George's mom! I wish George would take her mom a little more seriously, but I get that they have ~issues.
  • And yes that was pretty scary with the scary ghost things behind them!
  • Another Ace/Nancy/Bess scene...interesting...
  • How does Nancy know Owen is in Singapore on business? How long was she talking to him last night?!
  • Mr. Exposition strikes again! I love how Ace is just a fountain of info!
  • Strategically placed Carson scene!
  • Celia gave Ryan the money??!
  • Another Nick/Nancy scene. "Why does it feel like we're on different teams?" "Nancy, you're the one that never tells me anything." "That's not true. I just don't tell you everything." "Well, maybe that's why it feels like we're on different teams." He's got a point Nancy...
  • LOL...Nancy ain't giving anyone crap until she satisfies her OWN agenda. Holy crap. I love Nancy with my whole heart, but damn it's going to take a special person to completely get her. I won't mention who I think that person is...but you could probably guess what I'm thinking...
  • LOL Victoria tried to get herself arrested to hide from supernatural stuff?
  • Officer Rawley? NOPE.
  • "inhuman entities..."pure evil." Are they actually going to do demons one day? Or maybe lesser gods in the Greek-Roman Pantheon?
  • Nancy handing Ace the laptop and he just like KNOWS what she wants? Also, does that mean Ace is always working on her laptop?
  • "And if we do keep it open?" "Well, then we'd allow the darkest forces to come through." ~Foreshadowing much?!
  • "Really? You hacked into the Horseshoe Bay digital library?" "Sort of. I used my library card." Okay the moment after Alex Saxon delivers that line and Kennedy's looking at him, it looks like he's TRYING not to crack up...and a part of me wonders how many takes they had to do for that scene.
  • Awww Lucy. I love her dress! <3
  • I admit what Laura Tandy did was pretty funny and honestly I think Chief McGinnis deserves it. Also, Ace loves to run his hands through his hair when he's stressed.
  • Laura Tandy doesn't strike me as the type that knows when her car needs an oil change? Maybe the oil change light came on?!
  • Is Nick really going through all that information by himself?
  • The George/Nancy scenes are cute here. They make a good team.
  • I think it would be cute if we had more flashbacks to Nancy being Sea Queen...or Nancy having to do something with the Sea Queen thing in the present for some reason.
  • Wow...talk about a parallel. Ace is really annoyed at Laura...in the same way Nick was annoyed at Nancy in their earlier scene. "I'm bummed you don't trust me. Why not tell me about your publicity blitz?" "Because I thought you'd try and stop me." "We are on the same side, Laura."
  • I feel like Ace is with Laura now because he's lonely and because of nostalgia. And they probably have hot sex. I mean they just causally did it in the freezer! I hope George never found out?!?! LOL.
  • And cut to a Nancy/Nick scene. Interesting. BUT what's more interesting...Nick is dropping hard truths about Nancy's dad and the Hudsons!
  • "Why would they pay him all that money at once." Because he was leaving town quickly with an even bigger secret??!
  • Why does it seem like Nick is babying Nancy? It was really weird how he was holding like the tops of her hands??? Also...Nancy's favorite past time...changing the subject and/or fleeing during a difficult conversation.
  • "Ace?" "Mr. D?" LMFAO. OMG.
  • OMG poor Ace's face when he thinks he might have just gotten played by Laura.
  • Another Nick/Nancy scene. *SIGH* I admit when I rewatch this episode...I always skip this scene.
  • "You know you can talk to me about anything right?" "Of course." NOPE. Man, Nancy is just LYING to his face. This is hard to watch (for more than one reason it seems!!)
  • "Somebody there?" WHY DID YOU ASK THAT NICK?!!?
  • I admit this part is pretty freaky!!!
  • "Would you know if you were sleeping with a murderer?" Poor Ace!
  • Ryan managed to keep up with a social media account for a decade? LMFAO.
  • John Sander <3
  • "Something Lucy touched the day she died." I know someone...something.
  • Joshua Dodd is Lucy's half-brother. Interesting. "We're not hear to out you." Not yet at least.
  • A developer offered Lucy's mom a lot of money for their house? But the house is still there and all crappy?"
  • "This belonged to my mom." YEAH IT DID.
  • "You can trust her." "I do." NOPE.
  • Bess really doesn't have a plot in this episode. She's just kinda there. She actually has the early-Ace role. LOL.
  • I actually really liked this McGinnis/Nancy scene even though he was trying to manipulate her.
  • ACE/NANCY!! One of my favorite scenes of the season!! I think this is when the writers realized there was something there. "It's not like that." You can tell Ace really didn't want to tell Nancy (or anyone) about his past, but he opens up to her anyway. "A year ago, McGinnis caught me hacking into a government computer system, which is a federal offense." "Why would you..." Nancy looks pretty shocked here. She was not expecting to hear Ace was basically being blackmailed into working for McGinnis. "I can't go to jail." *looks* This storyline has such potential to be SO juicy. They can literally go in any direction.
  • Also, the way Ace looked at Nancy when he asked her if he could make it up to her. <3 <3 <3
  • "How am I supposed to trust anything you say?" Didn't McGinnis literally tell you the same thing about Laura in the previous scene? Nancy wants to feel in control of the situation and that's why she pushes Ace away...and this comes back to bite her in the end...when he gets in the car with Laura.
  • Ted is SO cute! <3 Love how she's hanging in the salt circle!!
  • This is a very creepy and awesome seance scene! I'm missing Ace though...but I get it's for plot reasons!!
  • "Hold the beacon over the coins." It's not the necklace she's holding onto....
  • "Are you haunting me because of what I found in the attic?" The look on Nick's face after he founds out she's hiding more stuff from him...I have to say...I feel for the guy. And then the coins melted and couldn't be used as proof about the Hudsons' dirty dealings.
  • The Nick/Nancy break-up scene!! FINALLY! Nick did the right thing for his own sanity. And the writers did the right thing for MY SANITY.
  • "I had no idea that was going to happen." "I know, but even if you did, nothing was gonna stop you." 100% CORRECT NICK.
  • "Nick, I wanna be with you." No...you really don't Nancy. And Nick got the message loud and clear.
  • Also, interesting parallel with Nick. In the pilot, he was the one who pushed Nancy to say they were together and now he's the one dumping her due to a lack of trust. It shouldn't have to be THAT hard to be with someone. It should feel easy and natural.
  • "I can't do it anymore, Nancy." I still don't feel any romantic chemistry with them.
  • "I do not envy Victoria. Imagine having to see things no one ever wants to see. It must be so lonely." ~FORESHADOWING?!!?
  • Ace going UNDERCOVER to try to prove something to Nancy. That's the only reason he was even in the car.
  • Love this coda song! I can't find it though.
  • And Ace STILL texted Nancy even though she was mad at him. I just love that.
  • How did Carson get into John Sanders's lab to steal the evidence?!
  • Also, super creepy Ted was hanging with the inhuman entity LOL.
  • I thought it was an interesting choice they didn't show the accident...just the aftermath. And where was Nick going exactly?! He lives right next door the The Claw?!!
  • "Living in denial...instead of facing the truth." Basically the entire theme of Season 1!!!!
  • "Did you kill Lucy Sable?"
  • Bottom Line: This episode basically served as a soft reboot for the show. Instead of playing up the Nick/Nancy/Owen love triangle further, the show pivoted and broke Nick/Nancy up while Owen wasn't even in the episode. Nick/George was also hinted at a bit in this episode as well. The show started focusing on widening the supernatural mythology of the show beyond ghosts, and finally gave some answers about Ace which only kicked off a new mystery with a new piece of his backstory. Also, we saw Ace/Nancy have their first meaningful one-on-one scene and it was glorious. This marked the true beginning for their relationship (separate from the group) and it was obvious that the writers liked what they saw in this episode (and 1x10) and they started giving them more and more scenes. Also, it's important to note that McGinnis is a much different character after this episode. He's much more of an ally...probably because they were bringing in a new antagonist soon. All in all, a show-correcting episode.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:28 PM
Elite Fan

Love your comments!

Quote:
Yes, in episode 1x17, he says it was for "services rendered". So it seems like Carson went to the Hudsons and asked for his paycheck and I guess it was 50K?! And they used that money to flee to Europe.
Oh thanks! I knew it wasn't anything shady (like him actually being a hit man ) but I couldn't remember what.
Quote:
Kinda ironic she's talking about trust when she doesn't trust ANYONE...especially in this episode. Also, interesting parallel...probably unintended...Nick dumps Nancy because of the trust issues...but Ace nearly gets killed trying to prove Nancy could trust him. Could just be my shipper googles..but...
Yeah it's definitely her tendency to push people away and not trust easily. And I hadn't thought of that before, but when you look at it that way it's a very interesting parallel. *puts shipper goggles on*

Quote:
Isn't it kinda of horrible how McGinnis is holding "the deal" over Ace's head? I mean...McGinnis is portrayed as pretty shady in beginning of the show. If he was giving Ace a break, why does it always feel like he's blackmailing him into stuff?
Yeah it definitely seems like blackmail to me. Also if it's been like a year since Ace got caught I feel like that's kind of a long time for the deal to go on?

Quote:
LOL...Nancy ain't giving anyone crap until she satisfies her OWN agenda. Holy crap. I love Nancy with my whole heart, but damn it's going to take a special person to completely get her. I won't mention who I think that person is...but you could probably guess what I'm thinking...
Yeah a very special person.

Quote:
"inhuman entities..."pure evil." Are they actually going to do demons one day? Or maybe lesser gods in the Greek-Roman Pantheon?
Oooo I'd never thought about the lesser gods thing before but that could be a really cool way to go! I assumed they were referring to demons but I guess they never said. I'm excited to see what the writers do in the future. They're so many things relating to the occult they they could incorporate if they wanted to.
Quote:
It's not the necklace she's holding onto...
Yeah they were definitely dropping hints about something between Lucy and Nancy!
gold-steps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:06 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

Thanks!! I loved your thoughts too!!!

Quote:
Also if it's been like a year since Ace got caught I feel like that's kind of a long time for the deal to go on?
You're right. I mean how long was this going to go on for? I mean...he's basically blackmailing him, but then in 1x08 he's all about Ace. Spare me.

Quote:
Oooo I'd never thought about the lesser gods thing before but that could be a really cool way to go! I assumed they were referring to demons but I guess they never said. I'm excited to see what the writers do in the future. They're so many things relating to the occult they they could incorporate if they wanted to.
It would be really easy to expand the supernatural stuff by saying that HB is a supernatural nexus/hellmouth. Plus, we don't know what the conclusion of the Aglaeca arc is going to bring. Maybe something happens that "unleashes" something else.

Also, Sabrina just did the Greek god Pan...so in the same way I could see ND leaning a bit on the Greek-Roman gods too since a bunch of antiquities sunk on the Bonny Scott. Not to mention those Roman burial coins that became a big plot point. They were called the "Coins of Charon". Charon was the ferryman who brought the dead to the Underworld. Here's a cool guide on lesser Greek gods. Did you know Iris was the goddess of rainbows?

I could totally see the show doing Morpheus aka the God of Sleep or Alastor aka the god of blood feuds. There's just so many directions they can go in.

ETA: Also, Eris aka the god of strife and discord and the entity behind the Trojan War would be AMAZING.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:35 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
a bunch of antiquities sunk on the Bonny Scott. Not to mention those Roman burial coins that became a big plot point.
Oooo I didn't even think about that but it totally fits! And with all of the fighting the god of discord or the god of blood feuds (especially if they get deeper into the feud between the Hudsons and the Marvins) could be so awesome.

That chart you linked is so cool! I was obsessed with the Percy Jackson books when I was younger (they send messages through Iris a lot in the books which is where I first learned about it!) and I took an elective on mythology in college so I'm kind of familiar with it but I don't recognize many of those names.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:19 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

I love mythology too! In college, I was only a few credits shy of a Classical Studies minor, but I ran out of time. I also read the original 5-book Percy Jackson series years ago.

I'm just trying to think of something cool and different for the show to use since pretty much every supernatural show does very similar things.

I mentioned this before, but I would love it if they took a page out of Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. In fact, I think you would really enjoy that book too! There's a cool heroine, ghosts, and it takes place at Yale (which is one of the remaining supernatural nexuses in the world in the book). There's also a pretty creepy mystery and a slow-burn ship.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:49 PM
Elite Fan

Mythology is definitely super interesting! And yeah it would be really cool if the writers did something different and unique and set the show apart a little bit.

Oh Ninth House was on my to read list for a while! I had a library hold for the ebook for what seemed like a very long time but I finally got it and I read it a couple weeks ago! It was awesome! The mystery is so good and the supernatural stuff was great! I'm excited for the next book.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:58 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

Yay!! I'm so glad you read it. What did you think about the ending?? right!?!?!?

I can't wait for Book 2! And Amazon is supposed to be adapting the books into a TV show.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:05 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah I was not expecting it! I got really sucked in as I read the last few chapters and stayed up too late to finish so I was reading at like 1 am and yeah this was pretty much reaction

Hopefully the Amazon show lives up!
Old 08-03-2020, 08:20 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

At first I was confused about the timeline, but once I figured it out...the last like 1/3 of the book was SUPER CRAZY!!
Old 08-05-2020, 08:30 AM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

Thanks to everyone who participated in Week 7 of the Board Re-watch! Even if you just lurked and read our posts, that's still awesome (although I'd personally love it if you de-lurked)!!

BTW, you can always post your comments even if you miss the official rewatch week.

Onto Episode 8!!
Old 08-07-2020, 08:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ok, so I FINALLY watched the episode and I wanted to post a few thoughts.

Okay, so the Nick/Nancy breakup. Watching it this time around I couldn't help but really sympathize with Nick. He really gave it his all and he FINALLY reached his point of no return. You can tell it was hard for him but it was physically and emotionally painful to be with someone who refuses to open up to you and CANNOT trust you. Breaking up with Nancy was the best move he could ever make for himself and for Nancy.

Nancy acted sad, but I think it was more .. guilt. She liked Nick, but not enough to trust him and while she knew you can't build a real relationship with only one foot in the door, she kept pushing it in the back of her mind, because it was easier to be with him half-heartedly then have to be alone again and focus on how much she misses her Mom, etc.

It's interesting to think about Owen not being in this episode. You're 100% Susan, that it was like a soft reboot of the show. It's like the 'triangle' was just deleted from existence before it ever really had a chance to begin. For whatever reason they decided to go in a different direction, I'm happy. I'm not sure what the show would be like if they had stayed on that path.

I also loved the Ace/Nancy one on one scene! I loved how he told her the truth about the situation with McGinnis. You can definitely notice the chemistry. I think the writers picked up on it for sure.

Also.. what a way to end the episode.. Ace getting in the acceident and Nancy's "Did you kill Lucy Sable?" to Carson. I feel like things are really starting to pick up now!!! If I'm pretending I watched this for the first time.. I'd definitely want to jump right into the next episode.
I know better
But I still feel you all around icon
fall like stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:09 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

Quote:
Nancy acted sad, but I think it was more .. guilt. She liked Nick, but not enough to trust him and while she knew you can't build a real relationship with only one foot in the door, she kept pushing it in the back of her mind, because it was easier to be with him hardheartedly then have to be alone again and focus on how much she misses her Mom, etc.
This is utter perfection. I never really knew how to describe what I was thinking 100% and THIS IS IT!!

And Nancy doesn't even seem that upset afterwards either. The only reason she even waits a couple of weeks before pouncing on Owen is because Carson gets arrested.

To each their own, but maybe Nancy should...IDK...take it slow with someone before getting physical and standoffish?

Quote:
I'm not sure what the show would be like if they had stayed on that path.

But seriously, it would probably end up being Nick/Nancy anyway. Owen would probably turn out to be super shady or something.

Quote:
I also loved the Ace/Nancy one on one scene!

Quote:
It's like the 'triangle' was just deleted from existence before it ever really had a chance to begin.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:59 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

Rewatching the ending of 1x07 when Nick/Nancy finally break up...it's just like Nick realizes Nancy's never going to be ready to open up to him and that she will never put his needs above hers (like with the burial coins he wanted to use to take the Hudsons down). She just couldn't trust him on the level he wanted her too. She wasn't ready and I don't think she ever would be with him. Like it's sad, but honestly it just shows how they're 100% NOT right for each other. And that's okay. They are better off as friends.

I feel like 1x07 is really the episode where they shift many of the storylines in a new direction for good. Because after 1x06, the show still could have gone in any direction...but instead they were already hinting at romantic Nick/George with the coffee scene and highlighting Nancy and Ace's excellent chemistry.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:56 PM
Addicted Fan

I never noticed Laura was the first to call Ace's hair soft. I forgot Lucy's brother was Nick's boss. Did Alex shot something else or happened in his personal life? Because a car crash is something TPTB would write to remove an actor for a bit. Nick and Nancy finally break up and the series is automatically more enjoyable. Why did Ace hack into Government files?
Muffy_Simba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread