Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-18-2003, 07:10 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Galaxia21:
<STRONG>Angus, RoA and Varsity Blues</STRONG>
Aw, come on, there has to be one you like best among those three. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2003, 02:32 PM
Extreme Fan

hehehe, i've been afraid of replying to this thread beause i'm still torn. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

"Varsity Blues" is so much fun. It's one of those movies I can watch over and over cuz it's funny, it's sexy, it's exciting, it's sweet and moving, and I get a rush every time. I think it has the rewatchability-value of a movie like "Back to the Future." [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] (i remember reading someone actually put that exact comparison in a review of VB on amazon.com, and I was like "Huh! I thought it was just me who thought that!! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] " )

And I think "the rules of attraction" is awesome. In my humble opinion, it's just so perversely brilliant. The absolute darkness in it, the twisted funniness of it, the crazed energy of it, the beautifully haunting moments like the suicide scene that I think is permanently etched in my memory (i still can't really comfortably listen to "without you"). Not to mention the fact that James' performance in it is just knock-me-down-kick-me-in-the-stomach jaw-droppingly great.

I love them both for TOTALLY different reasons. And I know I can't possibly convincingly say that I'm trying not to be biased [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] , but these two movies are on my list of all-time favorites, not just favorite james movies. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Hehehe, and "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" just has to get an honorable mention though, cuz I'm a HUGE kevin smith fan, and I've been one since way before DC! And I just found it incredibly ironic that he would hire, OF ALL PEOPLE, James to play such an awesome cameo. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Such an utterly bizarre coincidence. one of my best friends and i would always talk about his favorite gal Eliza Dushku, my favorite guy, James, and one of our mutual favorite directors, Kevin Smith... imagine our complete shock when we found out that all three of them were gonna be in "jay and silent bob strike back" together. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Seriously, what are the chances?? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Loyal Fan

The Rules of Atrraction is my favourite
Old 06-21-2003, 03:19 PM
Loyal Fan

I hated Rules of Attraction, I thought it was just a string of purposely perverse and arrogent scenes and characters--I didn't see the 'brilliance' Avery raved about. And Texas Rangers was boring. But James was good in both.

I l-o-v-e Varsity Blues, I used to sneakily hire it out every few months and my sister would be like, 'oh Anne, not AGAIN!"
Old 06-21-2003, 03:30 PM
Dedicated Fan

I have to agree with Anne. I didn't see the brilliance behind Rules of Attraction...but I still bought it. I thought Texas Rangers was the most boring movie I've ever seen...yup and I still bought it.

Now Varsity Blues...my all time favorite movie.

Its funny because just last night a group of my sisters friends spent the night and what movie did they pick out of the tons of DVD's I've got? Yup...Varsity Blues baby. Then they moved on the Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. I promise I had nothing to do with the selection for movie night.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:45 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*~Andrea~*~:
I promise I had nothing to do with the selection for movie night.
Not even a little? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Rules of Attraction was definitely bound to disgust, offend and repel some people. I think that means it accomplished what it set out to do. Heh.
Old 06-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I still can not decide. I think I'm gonna have to see RoA again before I can decide.
Old 06-22-2003, 04:58 PM
Loyal Fan

My Fav is Varsity Blues I just love it.
It's just one of those movies you could
watch everyday and not get sick of it.
ROA was a little strange but It showed that
James can be more than nice Guy Dawson
He Can be A Pig [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Babs
Old 06-23-2003, 01:38 AM
Extreme Fan

Stela- I definitely agree with that, and I can kinda see why people wouldn't like it. I just know I'm just one of those odd people that totally loved it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And I swear, it's not just my James bias! Seriously! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I personally really like Bret Easton Ellis' sardonic style, and I apparently love movies that make me feel like i've just gotten the crap beaten out of me... like "welcome to the dollhouse" and "requiem for a dream." Apparently i can be a bit of a masochist. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
It's just one of those movies you could
watch everyday and not get sick of it.
Yep, I think I actually know this from experience. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

And STILL, every time I see that Charlie's Angels 2 commercial where they play the song "thunderstruck," i have to fight off this huge urge to pop my Varsity Blues tape into the VCR. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2003, 10:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

RoA...no question.

I love Varsity Blues, though.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:33 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by CreekFreak:
RoA...no question.
Now that's what I call a firm decision. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 12:41 AM
Master Fan

RoA, RoA and RoA..... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2003, 09:20 AM
Absolute Fan

Cool. A lot more RoA fans around than I thought. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I guess his best loved movies are Varsity Blues and RoA, with J&SBSB bringing up the rear.

What, no Angus fans out there? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 03:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

ok I've reached a compromise with myself. My fave James movie saw at the cinema is RoA. My fave jamesy film I saw when I bought the video is VB.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Fan

Varsity Blues. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I think the Texas accent got me.