Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2019, 04:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't know. I got the impression that in the OT Han outgrew smuggling, so I don't see him backsliding like that. I see it as more likely that he'd be working for the Resistance. In general I see the Force Awakens take on the character (bad parent, went back to smuggling, broke up from Leia) as something of an insult to the character. I think the writers saw him as something less than he'd become by the end of ROTJ.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:56 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
bad parent, went back to smuggling, broke up from Leia
I think that's oversimplifying it.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think the film oversimplified it.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I don't think so, they gave us the dialogue with Han/Leia to explain why their lives turned out the way they did. Han wasn't a bad father, he was a father who didn't know how to handle a son with the force going to the dark side (mostly Luke's fault there), also the break up with Leia was due to the situation with Ben takings it toll on their relationship, which all led to him going back to smuggling. I don't like it but I think they explained it well. For a movie with very little focus on our original 3, that part of the storyline got a good amount of focus.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't think it was done well and I think your interpretation of it can only come with looking at Han in a charitable way. People who are less charitable will see what I described. Like new viewers.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by a new hope (View Post)
I don't think so, they gave us the dialogue with Han/Leia to explain why their lives turned out the way they did. Han wasn't a bad father, he was a father who didn't know how to handle a son with the force going to the dark side (mostly Luke's fault there), also the break up with Leia was due to the situation with Ben takings it toll on their relationship, which all led to him going back to smuggling. I don't like it but I think they explained it well. For a movie with very little focus on our original 3, that part of the storyline got a good amount of focus.
Han wasn't portrayed as a bad parent or judged for going back to smuggling for that matter. There are many parents who can't handle their children going down the wrong path, they feel like they failed them and weren't able to protect them. They feel guilty and sometimes regress, doesn't mean they are bad parents or people, it just means they are human.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

It looked pretty damining to me, the way it was portrayed.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:03 AM
Fan Forum Legend

To me there was nothing but compassion for Han and Leia in that storyline. If anyone got a raw deal being portrayed around Ben it was Luke in TLJ.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

Han and Leia were never judged by the narrative, we know they tried everything to help Ben.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I wouldn't assume otherwise
Old 01-19-2019, 07:37 AM
Fan Forum Legend

They are our heroes after all
Old 01-19-2019, 04:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

To me it looked like Han was pretty throughly shafted by the story. Bad dad, ran out on Leia, went back to smuggling of all things. It was a pretty far fall from what the end of ROTJ led us to expect. I would have preferred if the new films had been set a century or more after ROTJ, after the trio had lived out their happily ever after and died after long lives. I didn't like the new films messing up what ROTJ left us with. I had no need to see the original trio back in their original roles, because I knew it wouldn't be done right, and it wasn't. In that sense it was like Indy 4, which was disappointing, or Bladerunner 2049, which sidelined Harrison. As a general rule, I don't think you can drop a story and successfully come back back to it decades later.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:13 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
As a general rule, I don't think you can drop a story and successfully come back back to it decades later.
I'm really thankful we got to see the trio one last time as their characters and all the behind the scenes stuff we got between them made me happy, I can understand what you're saying but I think it's worth it even if you dislike the story, if you can put the script aside and focus on the epicness of Mark, Carrie and Harrison together again
Old 01-20-2019, 08:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

I wish we got to see more of them, both individually and together but the franchise is for a new generation, so they obviously focused more on the new characters.

Han and Leia still loved their son and didn't give up on him. Leia said she knew there was still light in him and Han attempted to talk to his humanity.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Well gonna need to take time to the recent cause loads of discussion