Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2018, 04:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yep, but him focusing on Cal itself is not the problem, yet she seems to resent him for doing it. She'd probably resent him if he hadn't either, he can't win.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 11-28-2018, 04:32 PM
Elite Fan

There’s something also with the “my son” and “my daughter” while talking to Ben while he uses “our” for both of them. I just cannot tell if it is just narcissism or something else.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I guess we have to wait and see, but it's happened way too much to be anything but intentional on the writers part.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 11-28-2018, 05:07 PM
Elite Fan

That is the wonderful thing about fiction. Anything can happen and little clues are scattered in foreshadowing throughout.

I also feel like there is something more with the callings related to the Stones than the other passengers. And it has to do with Cal and their relation to him.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I think Cal is the key, so as biological relatives Michaela and Ben might have a stronger connection than the other passengers too. It'll be interesting to see where they're going with this.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 11-28-2018, 05:37 PM
Elite Fan

And being a biological relative of Cal’s might also explain why Grace is the only non passenger to find out about the callings that as not died or almost died. That too has to be significant. Even that main baddie from Singularity died in that explosion.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It probably is I think there probably is something in the people that find out dying. Not to say they all will, but it's significant that a number of them are.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 11-28-2018, 09:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieLeigh (View Post)
I think Cal is the key, so as biological relatives Michaela and Ben might have a stronger connection than the other passengers too. It'll be interesting to see where they're going with this.
I so agree with you here!
Old 11-30-2018, 09:01 AM
New Fan

I can't get this out of my head since I hate this Ben/Grace situation so much ----I deleted my DVR, what was that scene with Danny and then Ben comes to say something in the preview section at the very end (preview for Jan)?
Old 11-30-2018, 09:13 AM
Elite Fan

Danny was in the dining room between Grace and Olive having some discussion. Ben comes in and says “I am not dead anymore. I am right here. “

You can see the promo in the spoiler thread

http://www.fanforum.com/95773689-post64.html
Old 11-30-2018, 09:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for that! I watched it again just now and Ben is not giving up on his wife. What worries me though is he says "I will not let my family be collateral damage". But he can't stay away from Cal especially and he can't stop the callings...This poor guy is in a spot!
Old 12-01-2018, 06:36 AM
Elite Fan

He is!! And of course he is not giving up on his family, including his wife. I think Danny might be there about Olive. The phrasing of I am not dead anymore I am right here sounds like something to tie back to the conversation Ben and Grace had about parenting Olive in 4. And it would be the one thing to really set Ben off. Being left out of his daughter’s parenting

Last edited by Austenphile; 12-01-2018 at 09:40 AM
Old 12-01-2018, 09:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm going to chime in with a bit of a differing opinion here but ... I think Grace is in the right.

Disclaimer: I'm really enjoying the show but I don't have the time or inclination for rewatches so everything is as I remember it ... please correct me if anything I say is wrong.

Ben has been hiding so much from her.

He didn't tell her about the calling until Cal was hospitalized and they had to make a life or death decision about his treatment. The motive for getting his job was a lie, where he's been going and what he's been doing almost daily is a lie. In Grace's defense, she mourned him and suffered through a terrible bout of depression. She built a new life and then she gave up that life and was really trying but Ben was keeping so many things from her.

Don't get me wrong ... I get WHY Ben is hiding it. She has shut down his discussions about the calling and some of his theories regarding Cal but every time they talk about it he has only told her when he had no other way to explain his actions. Basically, it was the wrong time. In the Pilot I was interested why they had Ben be the one to advise Michaela to stay quiet and he was the one who resisted helping others and drawing attention ... that's who he was ... now he HAS changed and he's not explaining any of this to his wife. I think he's actually becoming a better person but from her perspective he's just lying. Ben is also staying quiet because he's a little concerned about the whole "people that are told about the calling die" thing but Michaela is actually telling Jared about her concerns so I think Ben choosing to keep that secret is just a character flaw ...

I cannot even imagine planning a surprise BBQ and then not only does he vanish and stop answering calls but some authorities show up saying he was fired yesterday and they need to collect his ID card? I would be LIVID if my husband kept something like that from me and then I find out that he let my son who I have been mourning be in a life or death situation.

Obviously the Danny stuff is in the back of our minds and I'm sure we haven't seen the full story there ... but I think the show was smart to not include him in the last couple episodes. To really try and separate that storyline from Grace's trajectory with her marriage. I'm glad they did that. Still think there's more story there but I'm not trusting Danny so I hope she doesn't pick up where she left off with him.

Anyway, I see what you guys are saying but I also sympathize with Grace and think that she's justified in the way she feels.

The person who is having both parents not even consider her at the moment is Olive. Her overhearing them not even discuss her in their fight was heartbreaking.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Elite Fan

I am going to agree with you about her being justified in being mad at Ben. And everything else you said was spot on. We were with him and know his thought patterns and reasons so it is easier to sympathize with him. But she had every reason to be furious. I thought some of her actions during the fight were low. But that is how real people argue with their spouse unfortunately. I was angry watching it the first time. But after a rewatch I can see her side. Both are wrong and both are right.

The problem with Grace getting sympathy from viewers though is that Danny is involved still in their lives. So people get the impression she is rejecting Ben for Danny. And that she has been looking the past two weeks for an excuse to get Ben out of the house to make way for Danny guilt free. It is not my interpretation. She is legitimately mad that Ben was lying to her, and their son was in danger. But I did have to wonder when I saw Danny at their house in the promo if maybe those people claiming that she just wanted to get rid of Ben were not correct. Time will tell if Danny is back as a romantic partner for Grace or because right now he is the only person Olive feels values her. Either way it is sticky and Grace likely will have a rough road with the audience as long as Danny is around.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Both are wrong and both are right.
Very much so.

Maybe it's just because we've seen so little of him but I feel like Danny might be involved in all of this somehow. The more we see of Olive the more it makes sense how she gravitates to him. I think we were speculating before that he was using Olive to get close to Grace but I have this theory that maybe it has nothing to do with Grace ... he might be jut trying to stay close to the family so he has access to Cal and Ben in a roundabout way.

I also totally forgot to mention that I agree on the weirdness of Lourdes not being at the hospital. Little lines like "she's out of town for work and is on her way home" or even "she stepped out to get a cup of coffee" would go a long way. Also agree that why can't Ben and Cal and Michaela live with their dad? These are little things that I so wish the writers would think of.