Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2018, 02:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinebrighterxx (View Post)
I agree it has potential, the pilot was very crammed & rush, but the potential is there for it to improve from the pilot & grow into a good show. But they also could keep up this cramming so we'll see

Unless I can't get into a pilot I do feel its better to give a show more of a chance since pilots don't show what a show will become, then there's also things they may alter for later on too

they did do enough to support that theory so could be . I'm on the fence about it & wouldn't be surprised if he had some connection to evil. It'd explain his 'mistake' about if demons knew that the witches had powers. Seemed a little suspicious that right after they get them & he tells them what they are that they then got attacked to me
Which is why they erred in making it like Piper/Phoebe/Paige. Half siblings to make the power of three. I assume they are half siblings. With the separated one being oldest. It requires too much of rush to put them together.

If it had been like Prue, Piper and Phoebe in the beginning. You could have a little tension but it wouldn't require so much cramming and needing to get to certain point by the end of the pilot when you already had to introduce so much...

I on theory give a show usually a the pilot and at least one additional show depending on the show unless the pilot turns me off. Because sometimes the pilot because by the nature of a pilot is rushed. The second episode usually has time on it's side. Characters start to get fleshed out.

It was way too quick. Unless the "whitelighter" is evil and there is someone else that comes in later like Leo did... So much was thrown in there when they could have taken their time. Let the girls get used to it.

Like Prue, Piper and Phoebe did.

I understand it needed it's own identity. But it was just too much, too soon.

Roswell has a huge test and I am already very doubtful but given that was a show only lasting three seasons. More fans or at least viewers are likely to give it a benefit of doubt. Unless you're hardcore like me... Charmed has too much of history. Roswell is testing fans by usually similar characters but changing relationships or redoing storylines... that is going to be problem!
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Old 10-16-2018, 02:10 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Yes it was too rushed forcing them together. That doesn't work for me, they should've made it 3 sisters no half siblings

'I understand it needed it's own identity. But it was just too much, too soon.' - this completely agree with

As for Roswell I'm not a hardcore fan of it but I'm not going to touch that one. It just feels wrong. Make your own alien/Roswell show like Charmed did . Doesn't sound like they have much originality at all. But of course they're based on a book series too so that's possibly where they can say they took names from

Quote:
Where Charmed at least has new character names and seeming to be making an attempt to modify things to not have 100% copy of even part of a copy
Oh they took things from the original, but it was minor things & more felt like Easter Eggs for the original fans who do watch? There are more obvious things like one of the sisters dating a cop where its clear that Niko is the new Andy, then there are less obvious things like the first vanquish had the sisters standing in the same way as the original sisters did in their first vanquish. Then there was the Melinda Warren page showing that this version of Charmed also started with that witch so there's a name they didn't change

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-16-2018, 02:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I do hope next few episodes and the first season or a part of it maybe dives into the fact that they were forced together too soon - fleshout the characters a bit

Yea that's the problem is that Roswell is|was a book series where no idea if the books were first or if the show was, actually think the books were first cause way back like almost 20 years ago when it was airing, did read the books but don't remember much

They could have done what Charmed has done instead of like you said no creativity majority of the same characters and already got a feel re-doing same storylines. So its why I probably wont touch it even if many of TVD|TO actors are within it

"Easter Eggs" can be a good thing
Old 10-16-2018, 02:37 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I'm pretty sure the books were first as I think the original show was based on them too? Can't remember though. I had never heard of the show before joining & I've only ever heard of the books in association with the show

Easter eggs can be good & work but repeating things is dangerous territory . They are changing things in Roswell to make the characters their own but we've already had a Max & Liz so we don't need new ones, ect. At least Charmed has done a new set of sisters, so already that's different. I wouldn't have touched it if they tried to give me a new Prue/Piper/Phoebe(/Paige). However if they tried to do a spinoff with the children but couldn't get the actors who played the children to sign on so we got new actors I would've given it a chance (in the original we see future versions of two of the children of the Charmed ones - including one who was in it for a whole season who is much loved)

Quote:
I do hope next few episodes and the first season or a part of it maybe dives into the fact that they were forced together too soon - fleshout the characters a bit
Yes That's what I hope too. They had to do too much in their pilot but now they can relax as they've set the scene so can work on the other areas to really establish the characters & allow the show to find itself

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-16-2018, 05:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond insane (View Post)

Yea that's the problem is that Roswell is|was a book series where no idea if the books were first or if the show was, actually think the books were first cause way back like almost 20 years ago when it was airing, did read the books but don't remember much

They could have done what Charmed has done instead of like you said no creativity majority of the same characters and already got a feel re-doing same storylines. So its why I probably wont touch it even if many of TVD|TO actors are within it

"Easter Eggs" can be a good thing
Charmed in a way is doing it the right way. Even if it should have been a continuation. There are Easter eggs. A tie to the original show if explored. The Melinda Warren connection which goes to the first one, right?

They are doing with brand new characters. Although I do think they should be older than they appear to be right now... Piper, Phoebe and Pru all were distinct even in the pilot. You knew Pru was "the mother figure", Phoebe was the baby. Of course the mom was still alive until minutes into the pilot in this one.

Roswell. The book series came first. The first series was loosely based on the books. I never read the books except for one after the series started and the books changed their covers to show Jason and Shiri as Max and Liz.

The original series changed Liz's last name. The reboot is taking it back. They say they are more focused on the original book series, but they have completely changed except to keep the some of the names. And completely changing relationships for some of the core characters. So it's going to be a very big test to see if fans who know anything about the original show will bite. Those who only know the show since the show went off the air might. But hardcore might have a big problem.

Roswell should be a continuation with the same actors or continuation of the first series and their characters. Or at least make them younger, but in Roswell the characters are much older this time around. Around 28, which will change the dynamics.

At least Charmed tried to do Easter eggs but do their own show! The pilot showed promiise, but had a lot of flaws that the original series pilot didn't...
Old 10-16-2018, 06:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yea I was a hardcore but think best to take this into the Off Topic related to Roswell - been more and more itchying of a rewatch which would probably be the first one since it went off the air

I noticed that about the fact that the characters are gonna be older, Max is a sheriff? that had me interested. I noticed some familiar names casting wise when I checked from the large amount of Vampire Diaries related actors attached too it

Back to this pilot and show The pilot did have flaws even I noticed as a never seen the series moved way too fast - so hope it slows down

I felt that maybe they should have had the mother alive for say half the episode - get some dynamic feel of the mother and her daughters plus the daughters without witchy - than maybe had the cliffhanger that the mother died instead

Or would that not have had enough have a "punch" to interest people or was it not like it for the original

This and Legacies will be my first primarily witchcraft watching with how it has always been vampires for me but Legacies is a must plus had been seeing Tv Spots for this and decided why not
Old 10-16-2018, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKatherine (View Post)
..or maybe there is a reason why Harry orbs differently. Maybe he's not a white lighter at all. The spirit board did tell the girls not to trust Harry.
I think they did that just to end up doing the complete opposite.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:35 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Sarah - for the original the sister had been raised by their grandmother as their mother died when they were children. Not sure how far after Grams died the show started. We have Phoebe coming home from living in New York at the start of the ep which contributed to thenn gaining their powers as they had to be together with the book of shadows for it to happen. We learn later that Phoene left town after Grams died. So there is a minor similarity in that they had to be together to gain powers (& they were previously bound) but otherwise it was different. The original could focus more on their discovery of their powers & then defeating one demon. This one was dealing with too many pother things. While the original mother was killed by a demon that was dealt with later on while here it could continue for a few eps at the start?

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-16-2018, 08:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh thanks for the little tidbit about the original - I like the similarity of them having to be together for their powers to come the having too all agree plus the activation was cool taking on that Ice Demon

Yea I think the pilot had too much the demon dog and the demon within that guy that Maggie (right? The youngest) kissed - that storyline wasn't necessary truthfully

IDK where I would have wrote the pilot differently but keeping the last one made sense plus the stuff with Harry - I would have just taken the other demon stuff out

I just would have maybe had the mother not die right at the beginning but at the same time that all did work where maybe flashbacks could be provided instead of just a phone video ...

Maybe instead of the demon stuff of the dog etc had more character building

So I just hope some character development and dynamic building not just full speed all types of witchy where don't mind but I like build of characters and relationships and especially mythology build
Old 10-16-2018, 09:03 PM
Elite Fan

I just watch this. I dunno. I feel like it could be better. So I’ll give it a few episodes and hope they iron out the kind.

Some of the humour was forced or clunky feeling. I dunno. The whole pilot felt liked a rushed set up. I wish they would have taken more time with it. I also kind of wish the sisters were a little older. It almost feels to teenish to me.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:57 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Quote:
the having too all agree plus the activation was cool
that was original to this show There was no accepting for the original ones, they just had to deal with it as there was no changing things

Quote:
the demon dog and the demon within that guy that Maggie (right? The youngest) kissed - that storyline wasn't necessary truthfully
(Yes Maggie) Exactly. That wasn't needed - they could've worked it so that the ice demon attacked Maggie & they just went after it . But I guess that takes away some of the science aspect they wanted to show with Macy trying to find a scientific explanation for things

As for the mother I think she's just a throw-away character. Needed to set the scene that she had to die to bring them to the point where they are at & to give them their powers (despite the fact that the spell she was doing would've given them their powers too). Otherwise not necessary or important to the story - Maggie & Mel just also needed to connect with Macy so she was also used for that with the video on the phone. Also killing her leaves more questions like why she gave Macy up. Macy would've been able to ask her if they kept her around longer. So it would've provided a completely different atmosphere in the episode to have her around still. She could've explained the magic stuff or even gone after the ice demon herself to protect her kids. I presume they were taking from the original where the 3 sisters had to find it all out on their own so that's why she died early on. They just showed us that to show what happened before instead of just telling us

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-17-2018, 06:32 AM
Absolute Fan

The pilot follows the "hero's journey" archetype cycle pretty much to the letter, but what makes it feel 'rushed' is that the sisters don't have any real 'processing time' between getting 'the call' and being 'forced onto the path', which could've been fixed by omitting the demon dog and having Brian be the one to attack Maggie, which would've let them push the scene back slightly and given the girls a little more 'decision time' and a little more of a chance to bond as sisters.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
Old 10-17-2018, 06:59 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Think that's my thing too no development time
Old 10-17-2018, 07:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I forced to much of the "me too", feminist stuff on the pilot. The original series had plenty of kick ass females already. But pilot tried to hard to put into today's era. You can be much more subtle and show these are strong women who will stand up to any kind of authority.

The pilot lacked building of the characters. I know they had to get the sisters together, and bonding but they could have left some of the action to future.

Of course Episode 2 and beyond is definite species than a pilot. So there is room to grow, expand or maneuver around. But it was so quick.

Heck the superhero shows didn't do much building in their pilots. Almost like they rushed too much into the pilot, to make it different and yet similar with "Easter eggs" if you knew the original series.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:17 PM
Graphics Team Manager

They did too much in such a small window of time . Some of their easter eggs weren't even from the pilot of the original show. There was a lot they could've toned down or cut out to build more in other areas. But its a pilot which is also very much a test so we'll see what happens after this

Quote:
I forced to much of the "me too", feminist stuff on the pilot. The original series had plenty of kick ass females already. But pilot tried to hard to put into today's era. You can be much more subtle and show these are strong women who will stand up to any kind of authority.
Yeah that's the part which kept getting to me. I hope that gets toned down as you can be a strong woman, ect. without having to say it every five seconds. I get it, there's some evil people/guys out there, don't need it shoved down my throat for an entire episode . But it also related to the ice demon guy so maybe that was part of why there was so much "me too" bits?

Chelle » join GTmy art