Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2016, 04:31 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Moderator of ...
Graphics Team
SKAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Babble (View Post)
Is it just me, or are the pictures not in the right scale?
No, it's not just you. I was thinking the same. I'm not sure if it's because of the picture quality but the first Divergent banner seems a bit off and people seem a bit stretched almost.

And in the second one, they're all the same size which would be fine for a band if you were placing them on one line in your head but for a tv show or franchise always try to start at a point and make characters smallers as you go further away from that point.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sorry guys I've been so busy the past few days. Thank you for your comments. I did not notice that "boxy" effect and I had that issue previously with some of the celebrity banners I attempted.

I will keep your criticisms in mind when working on the next one!

Thanks again!

Out of curiosity are there any major when it comes to tv show banners? And what are the top three things to focus on when making a tv show banner?
Old 01-21-2016, 06:33 PM
Graphics Team
Moderator Support Team

Well... I wouldn't say past the usual no no's about not using too dark colours and not checking the blending, what you need to keep in mind the most about a tv show banner is that you can't always include the whole cast so you need to think about who's important, who's current etc. I mean is is possible to fit in ~15 characters with creative placements (like Twilight has) but sometimes you just need to cut back and maybe include just the most important and loved people across the seasons like ER has.

We also try to avoid tv show banners with just 2 people, as it leaves a lot of empty space. It can work beautifully (like Elementary) but usually we don't do it but instead try to add a few supporting characters. So usually the most difficult part is figuring out which people to include in the banner to make it current and inclusive.

The colours are usually inspired from what the show looks or feels like and quite often you can get background inspiration from the show itself, maybe the title sequence or anywhere. And as for text, if possible we try to use the show's logo itself but sometimes it's just not an option, so then just try to match a font to the graphic itself.

At first it can feel scary trying to fit more than the standard 3 of a celebrity graphic into a tv show one but just play with the sizing of the characters, try out a different combos of placement. It's usually adviced to have the main people close to the centre and biggest and then go smaller on both sides but honestly, just resize and play with it and you'll learn to see what looks good in no time
Old 01-21-2016, 07:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks so much Kate, that helps a lot.

So most of the time it is preferred that the background is textures but are there any specific cases where an image can work better?
Old 01-21-2016, 08:00 PM
Graphics Team
Moderator Support Team

Well, if there's anything very specific to a show you can try including it in the background (like the NYC skyline in SaTC), or on the front (like the Tardis on Doctor Who) but usually the background is less prominent on a tv show graphic as the characters often fill most of the space. You're of course welcome to use any elements from the show on the background if you find they work and blend well with the rest of the graphic

A thing that was already probably mentioned but is worth saying again is that very rarely do we use a group shot of a tv show, but try to use individual photos of the cast instead. Using a group shot as it is is usually only a last resort if a show has very little usable material/ everything is very low quality.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT:

I tried my hand at a TV Show banner, these are a lot more difficult then they look!

Last edited by Mi||iê Måë; 01-23-2016 at 02:19 PM
Old 01-23-2016, 03:13 PM
Elite Fan

Yes they are, especially when there are lots of characters (or very few). That is really good though. Is it your second try?

There are some placement issues which I would change; the blonde on the right should be on the other side since she is facing the other way (you can have more characters on one side so no need to swap anyone), and I would move the second guy in from the left a little bit over away from the smallest guy (it is a guy right?) so he is not covering the face as much.

Some of the skintones do not match. Unless you get pictures from the same photoshoot (and even then it does not always work) television shows can be a lot harder to match. Sometimes you cannot get them to match completely you just need to get them as close as possible.

There still appears to be that 'issue' Holly and Mel picked up on with your last one as the pictures appear a little distorted. Are you resizing the pictures from the corners only and never the sides? Maybe it is just his face but the main guy appears too skinny to me, and then the blonde also looks a little distorted but it does not help that she is facing the wrong way.

Did you use the logo or the show font? What you have done looks good, I am just wondering. Why is there a red box after the show name?
Old 01-23-2016, 03:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah I find matching the skin tone's a lot more difficult with more people!

It might seem distorted because I had trouble finding some hi-res photos to work with.

Tried searching deviant art, imgur and even photo bucket, outside of google that is and the wiki page,

I honestly don't know why there is a box after the show name, but it's part of the logo.

Criminal Minds Logo Search

I chose the second image and then changed the colours.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:38 PM
Elite Fan

When looking for pictures I would try to find galleries for the show or celebrity as they usually have the best quality pictures. Often boards will be able to provide you with some help finding some as they have more knowledge of their topic and sites which exist (or they will have affiliates which are galleries which saves you from having to look for any). I would avoid pretty much all of what you said you looked at (DeviantArt can sometimes have some good pictures I believe, and Google Images I feel is more of a last resort to try find usable pictures if all else fails). If I am looking for the pictures then I Google 'Show Name Gallery' and see what comes up. Sometimes I get a result, other times I do not. Trying it with Criminal Minds I got this site and looking at the most recent seasons I find that these are the most recent photoshoots the site has for the show and it even has folders telling you about the picture quality which is amazing. Unfortunately the HQ ones are only group pictures and we avoid those but hopefully the 'better quality' ones are still good quality to use (and looking at them they appear to be). If a show does not have a gallery or good gallery I check the SpoilerTV Gallery (and sometimes I end up using both even if I do find a gallery).

It is part of the logo then.. that is strange. I would leave that part of it off as it looks odd. People familiar with the show may know what it is but it looks strange and sometimes symbols like that need to be left off. I have a feeling it might be a part of the logo to make 'minds' closer to the size of 'criminal' when it is under it, but I am just guessing .
Old 01-23-2016, 03:44 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Moderator of ...
Graphics Team
SKAM

Quote:
It is part of the logo then.. that is strange. I would leave that part of it off as it looks odd. People familiar with the show may know what it is but it looks strange and sometimes symbols like that need to be left off. I have a feeling it might be a part of the logo to make 'minds' closer to the size of 'criminal' when it is under it, but I am just guessing .
It's also weird, I imagine even for the fans because it's not the actual colour it's supposed to be so the connection to the logo gets lost there.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Elite Fan

That is a good point too. The colour changes are good though as they match the background and are easier on the eyes than the red in the logo. You could keep the white and either make the red darker or lighter to soften it (or change it to the shade you used in your background).
Old 01-23-2016, 04:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the tips guys! I will keep that in mind. I think I will attempt another Criminal minds banner later using your tips and links provided! Thanks again!
Old 01-23-2016, 05:39 PM
Elite Fan

Good luck with it and you are welcome .
Old 01-23-2016, 05:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

So I took another stab at it, and chose to remove Aisha Tyler's character from the banner as she is not in the opening credits and for the past three seasons, we've seen three actresses come and go on the show.

The ones in the banner are the staples of the show.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:58 PM
Elite Fan

I do not know character names so this will be hard to describe but I would make sure everyone who is facing the right is on the right side and everyone who is facing the left is on the left side. That would probably mean swapping every character to the other side but mainly the guy on the right of the lead with the woman on his left and the blonde with the other person on the left. But I would put the three on the right side on the left and the two on the left side on the right. That way they will all be looking out instead of looking in. I really hope that makes sense. I still feel that the main character's face is too skinny and distorted a little but maybe it is just his face.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top