Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2019, 04:08 AM
Dedicated Fan

Hey, this is the first time posting here. I don't know when to use spoiler tags so please let me know if I should.

I understand her not reading the redflags, it shows one of her traits which is being a bit selfabsorbed, too lost in her own world that she does not pay attention to what is going on around her etc. It is not just Joe, afterall she has no idea about Peach either. BUT the curtain thing I will never understand

Someone over at Penn's board pointed it was explained in the book, and I have read some parts. Still doesn't justify her not using one.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

The no blinds thing is weird. I wouldn't be in a place with no blinds or curtains.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Police (View Post)
New York is a huge city though, I would have been like: Quite the coincidence, you were there at the right place and time, huh?
Yeah exactly my thought. I literally close my curtains most of the time so the fact that he could just watch her, is creepy. She never ever even looked out her window. I didn't like the fact that she was desired by so much people, not just Joe but by Peach and that professor that came onto her. It all seemed a bit too overkill
Old 01-17-2019, 12:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Beck is a pretty girl, I don't think it's farfetched to assume she'd have admirers, plus, being wanted by Joe and the professor isn't a compliment. Joe is a stalker psycho who was just looking for an easy target, and the professor was clearly a creep who was using his power to abuse his studdents. Peach might not have been as bad as the others but she was pretty abusive as well so all in all, it's not like Beck had great people lining up to be with her.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I dont mean it was a compliment, just seemed like it was everyone pining for her. Beck, like Joe, had many flaws too, so it was good to see the whole side of it, she wasn't a perfect model girl.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serein (View Post)
Hey, this is the first time posting here. I don't know when to use spoiler tags so please let me know if I should.

I understand her not reading the redflags, it shows one of her traits which is being a bit selfabsorbed, too lost in her own world that she does not pay attention to what is going on around her etc. It is not just Joe, afterall she has no idea about Peach either. BUT the curtain thing I will never understand

Someone over at Penn's board pointed it was explained in the book, and I have read some parts. Still doesn't justify her not using one.
Hey, welcome to the board! We usually use spoiler tags for about 2 weeks after the release on Netflix, so you don't have worry about that anymore.

And yeah, she missed a lot of the stuff going on because she was pretty self-absorbed.

How is the blind thing explained in the book?

Quote:
She never ever even looked out her window. I didn't like the fact that she was desired by so much people, not just Joe but by Peach and that professor that came onto her. It all seemed a bit too overkill
IKR? It's not like Joe was trying to hide, he was there in plain view and she never noticed him standing outside or attending the same bars, etc. Beck wasn't that interesting but it's pretty safe to assume most of them were attracted to her bc she's pretty and as Ana mentioned, they were all crappy.

Speaking of the professor, I was so relieved they didn't have her hook up with him. When she closed the door, I was like: no, don't go there. And then I was like: Go Beck!

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:14 PM
Dedicated Fan

I haven't read the book myself, so maybe someone who has can also confirm this, but I read that Joe refers to it a few times.

a- her building is not on a welltrafficked street.
b- she hates living in her small flat because she grew up in a big house with a huge back and front yard so she feels the need to leave the windows wide open.
c- she doesn't want to be alone with herself, if she were to close them she would block herself out the world and wouldn't know what to do with herself.
d- it shows her deluded sense of privacy in real life as well as on social media, sort of like a reflection/metaphor for how not only Beck but people in general today treat privacy on the internet/social media.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the explanation. I do defend Beck a lot because there are some parts that I relate to. Plus I think she has a strong side and she's a good friend

Yeah I understand why she had those admirers and it's not like any of them were a catch but yeah the no curtain thing was weird

Joe likes her because he seee her as a damsel in distress that he can fix and Peach because she's someone she likes to control.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

Pretty much. She also had a relationship with her therapist. She had heaps of daddy issues and her taste in men wasn't great either.

I like show Beck more than book Beck. But I dislike Beck overall.

Last edited by ☆ a million stars ☆; 01-18-2019 at 12:39 AM
Old 01-18-2019, 02:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

For anyone who’s interested, I’ve created a campaign for the show, feel free to join here.

YOU (Netflix)
10 | I C O N S

Old 01-18-2019, 03:29 AM
Dedicated Fan

I find that I dislike Beck more and more each episode but I like that she is such a flawed character. I wouldn’t have wanted her to be this perfect sunshine Barbie that everyone falls for. It makes dynamics and the show more interesting.

She definitely has issues, in a way that makes her more real. Any millennial can relate to her struggle with finding a stable job/pursuing dream career, searching for validation, acceptance and love.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

Definitely. Nobody's perfect. We all have issues. I dunno. I found her character annoying..
Old 01-18-2019, 05:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I still like her maybe because I haven't seen her with her therapist I am on episode 7 I think it's because of her issues and I do relate to her

I think book beck might be a little spoiled for not liking her apartment cause it's a nice one. I like that she at least hasn't done on the show
Old 01-18-2019, 11:00 AM
Moderator Support Team

from ask ausiello
Spoiler:
Old 01-18-2019, 01:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks