Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2018, 01:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

I mean nobody complains this much about movies like Saw why do they even have to take a statement like this?

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
Old 06-08-2018, 04:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I skip a lot of the hard scenes but I don't see how this show is different from other teen show like Riverdale

Last edited by fox24; 06-08-2018 at 04:24 AM
Old 06-08-2018, 04:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Suicide and rape are serious topics, there have been a lot of concerns about this show since the start, some of them less valid than others but dismissing those concerns with: then just don't watch is insensitive and superficial. Fiction doesn't exist in a vacuum, it affects people, especially younger audiences, with depicting certain topics comes a responsibility.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't think the suicide was glamorized plus a bunch of 13 year old did tell me last year that they felt the show tells you not to commit suicide when they asked me to play it. I told them no cause I don't want to lose my job it's not a show I feel is worth losing my job lol. Plus I do think 13 is to young.
However I do have issues Tyler that bullying and assault can lead to school shooting. Still I have trouble understanding how this show gets more controversy than serial killers and gang wars in Riverdale. I like Riverdale but still. Plus where was this controversy when Cheryl tried to drown in the ice.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

I don't watch Riverdale anymore but know about the Betty stripping scene for example because people brought it up and thought it was inappropriate on a teen show. As for the Cheryl scene, I found that scene highly inappropriate and then they left her on her own and went to a school party or sth. People have concerns about other shows too.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

exactly.. every show or movie deals with that kind of stuff.
so I don't really see the difference in what is more serious or not..

Tbh I can imagine why Tyler does that. I mean he got bullied for years.. and I also think that hannah's suicide had impact on him.. then het finally found a girl and friend and loses that in a very short amount of time.. he gets in touch with fireguns and then got send away and really feels better.. only to come back and get sexually assaulted by classmates which must be worst topping on all of the above.. he wants to get revenge and because he feels lonely and helpless and obviously has access this is the only way he sees.

I'm not saying he is right (God forbid) or that I would do the same.. but I can imagine that desperation leeds you to that

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
Old 06-08-2018, 05:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think this show gets more backlash whilst addressing the same topics as other shows, because the show is so real.
The show isn't (meant to be) set in a different world. It's meant to show as real.
I remember in season 1 they said they wanted to make it, because they felt it's important to highlight that this stuff happens. I don't wanna say like a warning, but I don't know a different word for it.
In my opinion, comparing this show to any other "fictional show" isn't really fair. I don't feel this show is meant to be taken as "fiction".
(If I'm saying something really weird in anyone's opinion here, just ask, I'm struggling with English words at the moment )

I am firmly in the camp of believing that this show does not glorify suicide/rape/other issues that come up. From my perspective, it really doesn't.

But, the show is Really graphic. Season 1 triggered me at points and had I known the ending would be that explicit, I probably wouldn't have watched it to begin with. For that same reason, I have stopped watching during episode 2 of this season, it's just triggering me like crazy due to my own past.
So I can understand parents feeling that this isn't a show they'd want their kids to watch (but again - not cause I think it's glorifying anything).
And taking personal experience into account, I feel like they could've handled this stuff better. (not talking about the show itself, but the way they're handling the "promotion stuff" now)
Old 06-08-2018, 09:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

IMO suicide was far more glamorized in literature like Romeo & Juliet. It made it seem romantic, two star crossed lovers take their life & yet it's been taught in schools for decades. They've made several movie adaptations.

The show DID take it into account the legitimate concerns when they added more warnings. They didn't just ignore it. I remember originally watching S1 of the show there weren't as many warnings as there are now. So they clearly listened to the concerns people had. They didn't just come out with just don't watch. There is a warning at the start of S2 from the cast. There are trigger warnings through out. There's a message at the end of each episode with a link to a website where people can find help. At what point are people going to be held accountable for their own choice to ignore the warnings? I don't really get what more people expect them to do.

It just bothers me when fiction is used as a scape goat for the horrors that exist in the world. It reminds me of how music or movies or video games get blamed for the school shootings in America instead of like you know guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Babble (View Post)
I mean nobody complains this much about movies like Saw why do they even have to take a statement like this?
OMG IKR. The Saw films are the worst. They literally are so graphic & show every gory detail and they made like 10 of those films.

Last edited by tragedy; 06-08-2018 at 01:19 PM
Old 06-08-2018, 08:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I do remember people saying they didn't like Betty stripping but there wasent this debate to cancel Riverdale cause of the stripping
Old 06-11-2018, 05:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

because of the stripping? Really? In which world do people live in?

Paula I totally get what you're saying with the show being more "real" than others.. still I never thought the show was glorifying anything.. and I think it's good to show to people what happenes in the world in our daily live so that people would start to think about their own actions.. no matter little they seem, how they can affect others in a huge way

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
Old 06-12-2018, 06:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes I agree Holly, I definitely wouldn't say they glorified it
And I think it was a good thing the show got conversation going
Old 06-12-2018, 05:17 PM
Moderator Support Team

Old 06-12-2018, 11:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

I listened to the soundtrack on Spotify the other day.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl under the floor (View Post)
Yes I agree Holly, I definitely wouldn't say they glorified it
And I think it was a good thing the show got conversation going
conversation is always good

I loved that Rollercoaster song from the dance

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
Old 06-13-2018, 04:03 PM
Moderator Support Team

Katherine Langford on Saying Goodbye to 13 Reasons Why and Hannah Baker
Closed Thread   Post New Thread