Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2019, 12:21 PM
Moderator Manager

Game Of Thrones 8x06 "The Iron Throne" Episode Discussion (19th May 2019)

Some reminders
- No spoilers for future episodes or discussions based on spoilers,
we have a Spoiler Board for a reason.
- Please respect each other's opinion and view.
- No bashing on actors or crew members.

SPOILER POLICY

Last edited by Si_Crazy; 05-20-2019 at 05:55 AM
Si_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the thread!
Old 05-19-2019, 03:48 PM
Moderator Manager

No problem

Hope it's a good end of the show
Old 05-19-2019, 04:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I hope so too. It'll be an end at least.

I love you icon, Si.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:18 PM
Moderator Manager

^ Yeah At this point I really just want to know how it ends

Thank you, Pia I wanted something to match my title for tonight
Old 05-19-2019, 04:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I didn't notice your title! I love it.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:32 PM
Moderator Manager

Thanks I was divided in between this one and "Winter is Coming" but as Paula (girl under the floor) said, always go for the funny one
Old 05-19-2019, 07:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Meh.

It was okay. I ran across a few of the leaks around a week ago. And even then a lot of the stuff could be predicted. It was nice enough though.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:33 PM
Moderator Manager

TFTNT Si!

I just finished watching the ep and I'm a mess. That Jon/Ghost scene killed me and made up for the non-interaction in ep 3.

Not sure what to feel about Bran being the ruler although that idea has come across my mind but I never entertained it. I do like that Tyrion is back to being smart and a Hand. He's really perfect as one.

I love the endings for Arya & Sansa. Hell yes, Sansa, hell yes.

Jon killing Dany was inevitable. When Jon was asking Dany to forgive Tyrion and make peace with everyone, I was really hoping she'd change her mind in that moment. She didn't and that really was the last straw for Jon. Drogon trying to wake Dany was so sad but him burning that Iron Throne was a "Hell yes!" moment for me.

I feel sad mostly because my favorite show has ended but also it's the ending I sort of wanted for Jon. I'm glad he's not ruling and he's really so much better off in the North and with Tormund & Ghost. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Lastly, that small council is BAMF: Bronn, Brienne, Davos & Sam? We all love them right?

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

L i N d $ @ y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:11 AM
Moderator Support Team

did you enjoy it over all???

i just watched it i secretly wish Jon became king but i guess what he got was more what he wanted in a way .

Arya & Sansa i love their ending both got a perfect justified ending

in many ways it all came back to episode one so that was nice.

I wish the Dany scene was longer her dying in the first 20 minutes was way to quick . but the dragon with her body was so sad
Old 05-20-2019, 06:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

hmm, not sure how I feel about this ending but I thought this was a really weak episode like it's been said this season kinda shoulda ended with the NK being defeated bc the rest wasn't very satisfying.

they kind of ruined Jon for me which is a shame Dany wasn't near as radical as some of her predecessors, this whole "mad queen" plot wasn't as convincing as they wanted it to be and I felt like Dany's death was such a betrayal. also I don't understand why Drogon didn't attack Jon I think he totally woulda ripped him in half the way we know these animals...

the council where all the lords decided that Bran should be king was kind of a lame scene as well with not much well-thought conversation. I don't really see the reasoning behind making Bran king, while I love the Starks it still felt strange. and like Yara said they owe a lot to Dany so everyone can just shut it

however it was nice that basically the Starks got to rule the land in the end. I really just wanted them to survive.

I'm glad that Sansa got to be queen of the north, she deserves it

The night watch is kinda weird that it still exists, I mean what is the point? but I suppose it brings a reason to the wild folks' lives. good thing Jon and Ghost finally had an actual scene bc that goodbye we'd seen a few weeks ago was too bad to be true

all in all, Idk. I bet it's hard to end such a phenomenon like this show, to actually give it a proper ending and I think they failed to do that. not sure what woulda been better but so many characters weren't themselves by the end it hurt. I'll probably ignore lots of things in my mind and pretend they never happened so I can move on happily

JoJoF92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Old 05-20-2019, 04:04 PM
Moderator Manager

I liked it! The show's quality has been bad for a couple of seasons now, and of course I have complaints about pacing, executions and follow through with the storylines, but I think overall the ending was fitting for the show. Not happy, not completely sad, kind of hopeful for a better world starting from scratch.

So starting with Tyrion, Peter gave a stunning performance in the scene that he finds Jaime and Cersei's body I felt his pain, and I think that as much as he knew that it had happened, in that moment he was hit with the harsh reality that they both (his family) were gone. I always like the Lannisters' dynamics and after that emotional goodbye between him and Jaime, it was heartbreaking to see Tyrion crying.
I LOVE that he actually stood up to Daenerys by taking that Hand pin and throwing it away. He did commit treason, but at the same time so did she, she was his hope for a better world and she had said she wouldn't destroy cities and promised a better world. In that moment I was truly worried about him, I thought that was it and he would die.
His conversation with Jon is exactly what was needed to show that Daenerys wasn't bad to her bones, she just wasn't a hero. I think the show works greatly as an Origin of a villain because she had good intentions and she thought she was right, the problem was that with time the more powerful she got, the more she thought that only her wishes/decisions were right. It's a clear demonstration that power can corrupt. So I don't think she just went mad, I think she just felt superior than everybody else, hence me loving Tyrion's speech about everybody praising her the more she killed people she saw as threats/evil (I think that we only felt that way because we only saw things on her side, and never really got to know more about who were the people she was killing) and that giving her the sense of being right.
I did hate the part where he said he loved her... I mean where did that came from?! I never got that vibe out of him, more like admiration for her So in the end we can conclude that everyone on Dany's side loved her?! Jorah, Daario, Jon, Tyrion... they should've kept her not being this women that everybody falls for.

Emilia Clarke did an amazing job! And it was fitting that she didn't felt like she had done anything wrong, in her mind she was justifiable which is better than having her regretting her decision. I don't ship Jon/Dany, but their scene was amazing, for a moment I actually thought they would be able to work things out, and then her surprise look after Jon stabbed her and his reaction I felt sorry for them both.
I was a bit disappointed that there was no battle... the whole season was promising to have major battles and what we got was a battle in the dark where everything was so chaotic (and dark) that it was just a mess, then a battle that was just a massacre, and to defeat Daenery who were supposed to be the biggest thread we got nothing...

Drogon's pain and trying to wake Daenery was also so sad I thought he would kill Jon right there, but I guess he felt Jon was a Targaryen and also I think he could sense that Daenerys had changed since they got there, so him melting the Iron Throne was awesome! I've been wanting that since the beginning.

Now Jon... I am a bit disappointed that his whole heritage didn't serve for anything other than to cause relationship drama between him and Daenerys... for a guy that always struggled with the fact he was a bastard, I wanted to see more of him dealing with finding out that not only he wasn't a bastard, he just happened to be the son of two powerful housenames, even if he didn't want the throne.
I really love his ending, because that's what I was expecting for him, not true happiness with the woman he loved, not being in the throne, because let's face it Jon would be an awful king, he doesn't know politics, he has his heart probably in the right place and inspire trust, but he's easily manipulated so him not getting the throne was a good thing, he actually ended up being a leader of the Free Folk, which is where he probably felt most comfortable with throughout the whole series. And also and most importantly to me, he reunited with Ghost and his buddy Tormund
The reunion with Ghost was my everything!! Favorite part of the episode, and made up for their goodbye scene in 8x04
I have to say that it was very unbelievable that after he killed Daenerys, both the Unsullied and the Dothraki just decide to keep him as prisoner instead of killing him right there They were all so loyal to Daenerys that I just don't see how they would spare Jon's life and agree to have a bunch of strangers decide on his punishment.

Grey Worm going to Naath was a great ending for him... following the plans that he and Missandei had I hope he can find peace there and also help protect her people.
I do wonder how the Dothraki are going to adapt to the new reality of not being allowed to raid and kill people at will in Westeros.

Bran as the new king was a surprise for me! I did not see that coming, and I liked how it was a democracy like Sam suggested (poor guy, had the right idea but apparently to the wrong crowd) but it was as close to it as one would get since he can't have children and it was decided that the next king would be chosen like that from now on instead of just passed on by birthright.

Love that Sansa got to be Queen In The North, she deserved it (and this coming from someone that didn't like her at all), she proved she is a good ruler for a small people (I definitely didn't want her to be queen of the seven kingdoms), and kept true to her word that she wanted to North to be independent. It would suck if she just kept saying that while Daenerys was the Queen and as soon as one of her brothers (whether it was Jon or Bran) took the position she bend the knee. It was a bit sad that she did managed to become officially in charge of Winterfell, but in a way ended up by herself.

Arya's ending was my favorite! I've always wanted her to go on adventures, and that line of hers wanting to sail west of Westeros was always something I could see her doing It fits her, I couldn't imagine her living in Winterfell just doing nothing under Sansa's command, or being in Westeros participating in politics or even with Gendry being a lady... she has always been a free spirit and I'm glad that the character was kept like that till the end. BTW i would totally watch a spin off of Arya's adventures

This was a sort of happy ending for all Starks and I couldn't be happier because of it. After following their trajectory all these years, I like that they've all made it in the end.

I was so happy to see Brienne being in charge of the King's guard and having made Pod a knight I was a bit disappointed that she wasn't neither with Arya nor Sansa as she had promised to guard them, but I like that she's living her dream. And very high of her to fill in Jaime's story, even if it's her duty now to fill those pages, I like how she preserved his memory in a dignifying way. She was too good for him.

Davos being part of the small council also made me happy! He is loyal and smart! He thinks of the greater good without being too naive

And Sam is the grandmaester He also deserved that.

I was surprised to see Bronn being part of the council Maybe it was for comic relief, but yeah I didn't care about him... it was nice that he finally got his castle and title.
And we'll never get to hear the joke about Tyrion's going to a brothel with a jackass and a honeycomb

The show was never really about one character, it was more about the realm and how people deal with power and consequences, so I'm satisfied, not the best ending, but definitely not the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
in many ways it all came back to episode one so that was nice.
I LOVE that! how it ended in a scene that was very similar to how it began It really felt like they tied up all the loose ends (even if it was done in a rushed way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoF92 (View Post)
The night watch is kinda weird that it still exists, I mean what is the point? but I suppose it brings a reason to the wild folks' lives. good thing Jon and Ghost finally had an actual scene bc that goodbye we'd seen a few weeks ago was too bad to be true
I like the explanation that Tyrion gave as to why there still exists the Night's Watch, even though there is no more wildling or Night King threats, it's a place for people that have no purpose and/or have committed crimes to go... sort of like a prison to reform or punish people.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoF92 (View Post)
also I don't understand why Drogon didn't attack Jon I think he totally woulda ripped him in half the way we know these animals...
I assumed it was Jon's Targaryen blood that kept him from doing anything. I assumed it was the reason the dragons took to him in the first place.

Si, I agree Peter was amazing. He held the finale together, IMO. Glad Drogon destroyed the throne. And I liked seeing Samwell suggesting democracy, even if it didn't take. Maybe later on.

And I felt like the show reached a logical conclusion for the most part.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:32 PM
Moderator Manager

Petra, I love your icon. I'm so happy Sansa is made QITN. Season 6 me would be incredulous with this comment. LOL.

I've been pretty lukewarm with eps since ep 4. For me, the show ended when the NK was defeated. Like from ep 3, we can just flash forward to Jon with the Free Folk and it would still make sense.

I agree that the one thing I'm really disappointed over is Jon's true heritage because in the end it meant nothing. It just caused him pain and confusion. What was the point in telling him? He was better off not knowing.

And another thing that puzzled me is Bran's appointment as the ruler of the 6 Kingdoms. But in a political sense, Bran & Sansa ruling "together" makes the Starks the ruling family of Westeros now so I'm just trying to see it that way because I don't understand why Bran is the ruler but I guess he's the next best thing? I dunno. It should be Tyrion, imo, but as a Lannister, that won't sit well with everyone.

OMG yes, Pod is a knight right? I noticed his armor! I'm so proud of him! Bronn being part of the small council for me was because they have nothing to do with the character so it's like "Let's just put him in the council because the fans love him." Hooo boy.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

L i N d $ @ y is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread