Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2018, 08:45 PM
Absolute Fan

Cross-posting my review of the Pilot from another board:
Quote:
Finally had a chance to see the Pilot, and I'm already in love with the show, its world-building, and its characters.

I'm probably one of the few people out in the world who reveres SyFy's single-season BSG prequel Caprica, and Krypton very much reminds me of that show, albeit mashed up with Man of Steel. The show also reminds me of SyFy's Defiance, authors Frank Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson, and Brian Herbert's Dune, and author Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn: The Final Empire.

The fact that we've never really gotten a whole lot of information about the world and society of Krypton means that the writers/producers are basically working with a blank canvas, but I also like that David S. Goyer pulled in design elements and mythos-based concepts from Man of Steel, grounding the familiar and the unfamiliar together in a way that lets the series lean on its source material while simultaneously breaking new ground with stuff like the House of Vex and the Voice of Rao.

I also really like the time travel element of the series and the inclusion of Adam Strange, especially since he seems to have come back in time from a point BEFORE he gets transported from Earth to Rann, which opens a whole wealth of future storytelling possibilities.

The rest of the major characters are also really intriguing, especially Seg, Lyta, and Nyssa, who reminds me a little bit of the comics version of Talia al Ghul and Arrow's version of Nyssa al Ghul, which is deliciously appropriate.

Even the show's secondary antagonists, Daron-Vex and Jayna-Zod, are intriguing, and I can't wait to see what they do once the "Collector of Worlds", Brainiac, arrives.

Speaking of Brainiac, I don't think he's the threat from the future that Adam Strange mentioned at the end of the episode, even though that's the implication the writers were trying to send.

All in all, I though the Pilot was really well-done on almost every level, and can't wait to see how things progress.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
Old 04-14-2018, 01:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Laugh (View Post)
I'm checking now...I heard 10... 50 min episodes
Nice than I should be able to wait it out and binge afterward - pretty much been doing that for all shows, haven't been watching anything live
Old 04-14-2018, 09:39 AM
Master Fan

I finally watched episode 4. It was nice to see the action move on a lot more quickly with this episode.

-- I think was inevitable that the Voice of Rao would become infected with Brainiac. I wonder if he's disfigured like the Phantom of the Opera?

-- Are the House of Vex the good guys now because they want to overthrow the Voice?

-- Could not the earwig scene. Seriously, couldn't watch a version of that in the new Star Trek, had to cover my face with a pillow with Krypton's version of it. Going up the nose too. Gross!

-- #SaveLyta
Old 04-14-2018, 10:17 AM
Absolute Fan

My review of Episode 2, "House of El":
Quote:
This was a better episode than the Pilot, and went a long way towards endearing pretty much all of the main characters to us as an audience and delving into their own individual stories while also progressing the bigger narrative in the background.

Since Seg is our primary protagonist, it was only appropriate that the bulk of the episode centered on him and his motivations, and I liked that he spent most of the episode focused on using his impending elevation in status and rank to exact personal revenge, because it gave him an arc. I especially liked his interactions with his grandfather Val, Nyssa, and Lyta.

Speaking of Lyta, the show is very much setting her up as Seg's biggest ally in the fight to save Krypton, which also makes me think that she might end up becoming an official part of a restored House El, with the lineage of House Zod continuing in some other way. Seeing her speak out against the reckless and wholesale slaughter of the Rankless let us see who she is beyond just her complicated relationship with her mother, her cool-but-cordial interactions with Dev-Em, and her passionate affair with Seg, and also gave us a glimpse into how her mind works in terms of how she manipulates the system and puts herself into a position to make a stand for the things she believes in by challenging Quex-Ul to ritual combat.

And then we have Nyssa. In my review of the Pilot, I said she reminded me of the comics version of Talia al Ghul and the Arrowverse version of Nyssa al Ghul, and her actions in this episode only reinforced that idea. She's clearly manipulating Seg, but one also gets the feeling that she may also be manipulating her father, although to what specific ends we don't yet know.

Moving on from Nyssa, I want to ask a question: did anybody else get the feeling that Blake Ritchson is playing the Voice of Rao in an uncredited role? There's just something about the way that character slunk into the scene where Seg came in and refused to wear the sigil of House Vex and spoke for the very first time that reminded me of what little we saw of Brainiac in the Pilot, especially with the reveal at the end of the episode that Brainiac is already on Krypton in some fashion.

Like I said at the top of my review, I thought this episode was better than the Pilot, and can't wait to see what the personal fallout from its developments and revelations ends up geing, especially for Seg, Lyta, and Nyssa.

Last edited by DigificWriter; 04-14-2018 at 01:18 PM
Old 04-14-2018, 11:03 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for your reviews
Old 04-14-2018, 11:31 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond insane (View Post)
Thanks for your reviews
You're welcome.

As an aside, the show in its current form is clearly not part of the DCEU despite being created by David S. Goyer and utilizing mythology ideas from Man of Steel.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:42 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Weird so kinda like how Supergirl has mentioned stuff from SV mythology but am unsure if its been canonized to be within the SV "universe"
Old 04-14-2018, 11:48 AM
Absolute Fan

There was a point at which the show was going to be set in the DCEU, but that changed at some point in the development process, and now we have yet another Multiversal take on the Superman and DC mythology.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

OH interesting cause I thought it was meant to be set in DCEU don't understand why they didn't do the connection - are they going completely just DCEU with movies and not gonna do any shows
Old 04-14-2018, 12:19 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond insane (View Post)
OH interesting cause I thought it was meant to be set in DCEU don't understand why they didn't do the connection - are they going completely just DCEU with movies and not gonna do any shows
I'd also like to know what led them to divorce the series from the DCEU, but just for the sake of satisfying my own curiosity.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Our curiosity cause I knew it was meant too be married with DCEU verse and mythology
Old 04-14-2018, 01:23 PM
Absolute Fan

I have a hunch as to why the series' explicit connections to the DCEU were abandoned, but said hunch involves some Spoiler info that Geoff Johns dropped a while back.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

You can feel free but in spoiler tags if you wish to speak your mind even if it were to have spoilers - just do and under tags
Old 04-14-2018, 01:37 PM
Absolute Fan

Spoiler:
Old 04-14-2018, 02:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks I'm gonna bypass but others may read and respond
Closed Thread   Post New Thread