Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2017, 12:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

1x01: "Tape 1, Side A - Justin Foley" Episode Discussion Thread

1x01: tape 1, side a
episode discussion thread

"Hey, it’s Hannah. Hannah Baker. That’s right. Don’t adjust your… whatever device you’re hearing this on. It’s me, live and in stereo.
No return engagements, no encore, and this time, absolutely no requests. Get a snack. Settle in. Because I’m about to tell you the story of my life.
More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to this tape you’re one of the reasons why.
I’m not saying which tape brings you into the story. But fear not, if you received this lovely little box, your name will pop up. I promise."

x

Tape subject: Justin Foley, for spreading a racy picture of Hannah along with a sexual rumor about their encounter.

Clay Jensen finds a box filled with audio cassette tapes anonymously dropped on his front doorstep. He plays the first one in his dad's boombox and realizes it is his recently deceased classmate Hannah Baker who is talking, before accidentally dropping it and breaking the play button when scared by his mother. On his friend Tony's Walkman, which he stole, Clay listens to the first tape, in which Hannah relates the experiences that led to her suicide. She starts by sharing the story of her first kiss, which was with Justin Foley, who spread a salacious rumor that began her downward spiral. Clay is revealed, through numerous short flashbacks, to have been in love with Hannah and to have worked with her as cinema attendants.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for starting the thread!
♩♪♫
.¸.•*´¨¤ ¤¨´*•.¸.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

These were my thoughts on episode 1 at the time I first watched... (i brought them over form the tv thread)

I watched episode 1, it was really good, definitely intrigued me. I love that she left tapes for certain people. Definitely interested on what she says on them and how she died.... She killed herself right? Since on the tape she said she could no longer say "I am" this or whatever.

I am gonna try to watch an episode a night.

Justin and Bryce gave me gay vibes. They were so flirty with each other.

I felt so bad for Hannah after that photo went around. I wish that Clay had been there for her more and been a friend to her instead of getting mad at her. No wonder she was depressed.

It sort of reminded me of the John Green book looking for Alaska, just in the tone of it.

I love the use of cassette tapes.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Matt Czuchry

I will wait with posting my thoughts till I started my re-watch marathon. It's time.
{9/27 08 & 5/11 15}
Old 06-06-2017, 08:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

cant wait to hear them!
Old 06-07-2017, 05:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This show drew me in from the first minute I was watching it. I think it is so good they addressed all these issues on this show.

I loved Hannah immediately and I was very interested in her story. I loved that they used cassette tapes but because they are so "old" I was wondering if the show occurred in the present time or if it was in the 90's.

I am going to re-watch it soon so then I will be able to address the things I forgot.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Justin & Hannah were super cute in the beginning. I felt like he genuinely liked her. I shipped it briefly before he ruined it.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

i agree, its such a bummer he allowed the photo to be released because before that i thought they were cute too.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Matt Czuchry

Finally rewatched the first episode. Was interesting to see how everyone acted now that I know that they are on the tapes and even the reasons for why they are on them. Especially Courtney made me roll my eyes a lot.

Quote:
I felt so bad for Hannah after that photo went around. I wish that Clay had been there for her more and been a friend to her instead of getting mad at her. No wonder she was depressed
I was hoping for that too, instead he got pissed because he was jealous. Considering the party was where everything started, it makes me sad that he was not able to support her after the photo went around school.

Quote:
Justin & Hannah were super cute in the beginning. I felt like he genuinely liked her. I shipped it briefly before he ruined it.
I definitely think he did like her but from the moment his friends found out, being cool was more important to him to do anything to stop it.
{9/27 08 & 5/11 15}
Old 08-15-2017, 09:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

So Hannah killed herself weeks earlier and Clay is confused and sad. I thought it was so suspicious when Justin said that Clay wasn't as innocent as he though. Clay receives a package in the mail from Hannah, which was super scary for me. I had never heard of the book before, so I thought this was going to turn out differently. I liked how they explained the title, 13 sides to every story.

It was so ominous sounding when Hannah said that if people didn't listen to them they would be made public. It seemed like Clay stole the tape player from Tony. Did I get that wrong?

So the first tape was about Justin. I loved Kat. I wish she had have stayed in the show. She seemed like a strong actress. Hannah and Justin flirting was interesting. She seemed to really like him. Hannah sneaking out of her house to meet him in a park could have been so great, she had her first kiss, but the d-bag takes a picture of her coming down the slide. Then he shows it to his friends. It totally ruined the experience for her.

It was super sad for me when Clay like called her out about it at lunch. Not because there was something wrong with it but that he was jealous, he liked her but couldn't tell her.

Tony telling Clay to keep listening was hard to see. He just wanted to know the ending.

Overall, one of the best first episodes of a show I have ever seen.
Emily
Old 08-16-2017, 10:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah Clay stole Tony's tape player b/c he broke his father's.

I liked Kat too. Kind of wondering if she had stayed around if everything had been different. Hannah would've had her best friend & wouldn't have made a play for Justin.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Kat leaving was one of the early things that could have turned out differently
Old 08-29-2017, 12:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

I wonder if she will be on the next season?
Emily
Old 08-31-2017, 10:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

If they do some flashbacks she might be. Especially if they want to show us more of what Hannah was like before everything got bad. Unless she shows up in the present.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Maybe she could move back. I liked her.
Emily