Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2020, 01:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

The Crown 4x09 Episode Discussion

Season 4 Episode 9 "Avalanche"

Charles is caught in a deadly avalanche, prompting both him and Diana to reevaluate their commitment to their troubled marriage.

Previous episode | Next episode

Last edited by JoJoF92; 11-25-2020 at 03:12 AM
Old 11-18-2020, 09:03 PM
Moderator Manager

So this ep is stressful to watch.

Charles escaped an avalanche accident but his friend didn't. The incident however further pulled Charles away from Diana but Diana is the opposite. She wanted to make the marriage work whereas Charles didn't even try. He had security follow Diana and in the event that she strays, then Charles is out. This irked me to no end because Charles was basically doing all the wrong things so that Diana will stray. He doesn't answer her calls. The are no freaking cellphones and voice messages or GPS trackers that time. But yeah, he basically had Diana followed and once Diana & James happened, that was the only thing Charles needed to get out of the marriage. I also read elsewhere that this wasn't even half of what Charles did and that what real-life Charles did was much worse than what we saw on the show.

If real life Prince Charles was worried about last season, he should be worried about this season now. This ep is like the villain origin story for Charles actually.

I do have to say kudos to Josh & Emma. They have so much chemistry that I was low key rooting for them. Complete opposite of my reaction to real-life Charles & Diana as I don't like them together and was happy that Diana was able to go out with someone else that isn't Charles.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 11-19-2020, 02:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

You see it quite differently to me, as I saw Charles in this episode being side-lined and ignored by everyone.

Diana wanted to try but he didn't, and he wasn't given the opportunity to object. They wouldn't even allow a formal separation. I saw a man on the edge of breaking, and resentful about the way he was being treated.

He needed an excuse to separate, what else could he do?
Old 11-19-2020, 09:25 PM
Moderator Manager

I saw it differently because I saw no effort from Charles to try to save the marriage. He wasn't given the opportunity to speak up because I have a feeling QE knows what he was gonna say. But that doesn't mean that he tries to find a reason for Diana to break up with him because he was being side-lined by his family. He should be the better person even if his family is horrible to him. Though I guess doing it in that way is a surefire way to get the family to finally see it his way since they weren't gonna give him the time of day anyway. It's sad and unhealthy.

Old 11-20-2020, 02:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It's a bad situation all over.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:38 PM
Moderator Manager

It is. The way the royal family treated Diana from the get go. And Charles was the only one that I was hoping who would treat her better if the others wouldn't.

Old 11-21-2020, 04:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think to fit in your partner has to be on your side. That support wasn't there either because he didn't know how to, or because he didn't want to, but she ended up on her own, and her only way to try to have the influence she wanted was to use the Press, and that kind of thing. She didn't have an internal way of doing it, but of course that massively backfired, as the Royal family close ranks when such tactics are used. I suppose that was the card she had to play at that point. I guess we will see that in the next season.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:16 PM
Moderator Manager

It was odd cause she passed the "test" in Balmoral but then after that...completely ignored. And then later on it was like (mostly to Charles) to suck it up because they can't separate.

Old 11-22-2020, 01:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes there was no support at all.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:24 PM
Moderator Manager

Also I'm just realizing, Dickie never met Diana right? I think he would've loved her.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Also I'm just realizing, Dickie never met Diana right? I think he would've loved her.
well pretty much everyone loved her except for her own stupid husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)

If real life Prince Charles was worried about last season, he should be worried about this season now. This ep is like the villain origin story for Charles actually.
exactly, IKR?? I knew this was coming as soon as we'd see Di, cause last season I felt for Charles but he's become unbearable now. that crap he pulled while he was with Camilla the whole time, was somehow all fine but when Diana couldn't take it anymore and called her ex lover back after weeks, then he turned it all on her like she was the only faulty party here. disgusting behavior, someone should've just shaken some sense into Charles because boy was he rotten inside

Old 11-23-2020, 08:28 PM
Moderator Manager

Yep. I knew this was gonna happen once they'd introduce Diana on the show. And bless Peter Morgan for all of this really.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

yeah she was just glorious as ever really

Old 11-25-2020, 02:39 AM
Moderator Manager

+

Lord, save me from this show.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:19 AM