Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2020, 01:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

The Crown 4x06 Episode Discussion

Season 4 Episode 6 "Terra Nullius"

On a tour of Australia, Diana struggles to balance motherhood with her royal duties while both she and Charles cope with their marriage difficulties.

Previous episode | Next episode

Last edited by JoJoF92; 11-25-2020 at 03:11 AM
Old 11-16-2020, 08:48 PM
Moderator Manager

This was a good ep and another one of my favorites.

First off, Josh & Emma in this ep, brilliant. Just wow.

Okay so Charles & Diana are off to a grueling tour in Australia & NZ. We also get to see a very cute and always crying baby William. It was really painful to watch them struggle with their marriage. Charles always busy and Diana not wanting to leave William behind. Charles still talking to Camilla while on tour really raised my nerves. So by the time Charles & Diana finally talked about their struggles and Charles saying ILY to Diana, I was shocked. I kind of refused to believe it. Maybe because we already know it's not gonna work out but also because I kind of feel like Charles isn't really trying too hard at all.

Then after they worked it out, it all fell apart again. This time Camilla wasn't involved. It was Charles and his insecurities. Diana was getting all the attention and love and Charles wasn't. He was actually being boo-ed at and Australians didn't want him, they wanted Diana. Now I feel bad for Charles because I remember the past seasons where his parents wouldn't give him the time of day, especially Philip. That part where QE said to Philip in the last ep where the nanny was giving Charles a bath and she just sat there staring because she didn't know how to hold him broke my heart. They were always so cold and unfeeling that Diana around is like a breath of fresh air. I am so glad the show is doing this because the coldness of the royal family is another factor why the people were so mad at them after Diana's death. And personally I did find the real-life Charles dull and boring and Diana was a far cry from what the royal family is. Even in this ep someone said it: that Diana doesn't seem to be like a royal at all because she was so different from them. This is precisely why Diana was loved by a lot of people and this ep highlighted that.

The last scene between Diana & QE is my fave. How Diana hugged QE and QE can't even manage to hug her back is soooo very telling. I want to remember that scene forever because that will come around to haunt QE when Diana dies (if we even get her death on the show).

Witness the magical sprouting of the Purple Acorns
As hopes turn into reality

Old 11-17-2020, 03:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It was a very good episode to showcase the struggles in their marriage.

It was good to see them trying to make it work.

But yes Diana loved the adulation and encouraged it, and Charles was left feeling jealous and resentful. This happened all the time but this is a good trip to show the effects this had on both of them.

I agree the upbringing Charles had didn't help, how could he show love when it hadn't been shown to him? Diana of cause has bulimia, and massive hang-ups and this causes her to need a kind of full on and intense love from him, which he has no idea how to give, and desperately needs himself. It's not a good combination.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:33 PM
Moderator Manager

Yeah, at least they showed that they were trying to make it work. I was getting so frustrated. This was like QE & Philip all over again but much stressful for me.

They did both say that they need the encouragement. I just wish that they gave more of it towards each other. But Diana basks in the adulation and Charles wants more for himself. Apart from that, Camilla's always there waiting in the wings. I also read that Camilla's ex-husband, Andrew, who is also aware of what's going on, just lets Camilla see Charles too. Its all so messy.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes, they did try in the beginning, but it was never going to work. I do wonder what would have happened if they'd had more support and marriage counselling. If they had been actually able to understand the needs of each other and how to get that... Still we'll never know.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:18 PM
Moderator Manager

I wish they did go to marriage counselling on a regular basis but we also don't know if that would've worked. It seems to me that it was really doomed from the start since Charles was clearly still hung up on Camilla.

Old 11-19-2020, 02:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It might have helped, but yes the fact he was in love with someone else may have been an obstacle which couldn't have been overcome.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

I understand that Charles has an inferiority complex but I just can't with men throwing tantrums because of that. it just reminds me of my father who was also violent ofc and Charles wasn't like that but it's such a repulsive characteristic. how could people not love Diana? if he ever had cared about her he wouldn't have been jealous of her but he woulda been proud like, "wow that's my wife yes" but he was just a crybaby and wanted attention to himself while he wasn't an attractive person at all in any sense of the word.

that hug bw her and the Queen was so heartbreaking, and awkward too. Diana was so affectionate but the royals were just not used to touching at all or any kind of display of love..

Old 11-23-2020, 08:46 PM
Moderator Manager

Yeah instead of being proud and supportive of Diana, he wants all (or some) of the attention to himself. And maybe if he was more approachable to the people, then he'd be seen differently. I mean look at William & Harry and why a lot of people love them.

Old 11-24-2020, 05:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Good points. It's hard for us to judge though, we weren't in that relationship.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

sure, but it's a very common thing though among well-known people. athletes too. athletes who have a very attractive personality get more sponsors and such while others who might be more successful at what they do don't because crowds just don't like them as much. I'm sure there's things you can't change but if you just keep yapping about how much people love others you'll never be more likeable if that's what your after. if you're kind to others and they can see that you don't care whether they like you or not you'll probably be much more popular. and if you love your wife you won't be jealous of her popularity, ofc Charles didn't actually love her so that's where the story ends

Old 11-24-2020, 08:47 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoF92 (View Post)
sure, but it's a very common thing though among well-known people. athletes too. athletes who have a very attractive personality get more sponsors and such while others who might be more successful at what they do don't because crowds just don't like them as much. I'm sure there's things you can't change but if you just keep yapping about how much people love others you'll never be more likeable if that's what your after. if you're kind to others and they can see that you don't care whether they like you or not you'll probably be much more popular. and if you love your wife you won't be jealous of her popularity, ofc Charles didn't actually love her so that's where the story ends
This pretty much. I would be proud of my partner and wouldn't even care for the spotlight at all as long as my partner is happy.

“I heard she was insisting on taking the baby with them on the tour.”
“What for?”

^ Margaret & Anne in that last gif. AKLJDALDJFLSLS. I bloody love the writers of this show.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

yeah I remember that in S1 Philip wasn't happy about leaving the kids at home either because he was worried they wouldn't even remember them when they come back

Old 11-25-2020, 08:50 PM
Moderator Manager

QE completely missed Margaret's comment (or is avoiding talking about it because Anne was there). I love QE but she wasn't the best mother to her children, no doubt about it.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

yeah she just considered them a duty but wasn't really bothered much by their upbringing