Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

The Crown 2x03 "Lisbon" Episode Discussion

Lisbon

Palace insiders try to prevent a scandal that could reflect poorly on Philip. Eden faces censure from his cabinet and the press.

Last edited by JoJoF92; 12-28-2017 at 11:17 AM
Old 12-08-2017, 08:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

I loved the start of this episode, how fond they had grew of each other in their absence and their children enjoying that picture show of the husky's and penguins.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:13 PM
Moderator Manager

This is a sad ep for me because it's clear that something is wrong with Philip & Elizabeth's marriage. Philip fires Mike because the divorce was carried out. Can you believe in the normal world, this isn't a problem but because they're from the Royal family, the mistake of Philip's private secretary affects him too. Philip ends up with getting yet another title though I don't understand what that title will mean to him when he's already the Queen's husband?

I'm not too sure about Elizabeth actually going to Eileen's house. That could be added drama but at least she was able to read that letter of Mike to the Thursday club.

Anthony Eden is surely the least effective PM. He went to Jamaica to "rest" and then expect everything to get better when he comes back? He just avoided all the problems by going away. I'm glad he resigned, all the negative publicity didn't help too.

Also, Tommy isn't my favorite character but I'm glad he's back actually. If he was still Private Secretary, he would've handled this scandal with ease.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

I loved it when the whole family was watching the footage of Philip they were so cute and Elizabeth was the happiest to see him again. it was clear that she missed him very much, but it felt like she was also sad because he looked happy in those pictures like he was happy enough without them there...

I've never been a fan of Tommy either mostly for misguiding Elizabeth about Margaret's chances to be married to Peter in S1 and not allowing Martin to become the Queen secretary again..but he can sure can get things done at times.

then when Elizabeth was told about the adultery scandal..which only fueled her doubts about Philip's loyalty

Macmillan the new PM is like a corpse, I can never get my head around why all these old men have to take this job sure, more experience and all but if they're tied to bed they surely can't get anything done.

it was sad to see Philip having to let go of Mike he was a good friend of his but he's made mistakes and a figure like Philip can't be related to a man like that..

I was hoping for a happy reunion for E & P but it was never to be of course after all that's happened which is a shame considering how long they'd been apart..
we finally got to the scene we'd seen in the season premiere with them arguing. it was horrible to hear that they would've been considering divorce had it been an option for them and then to save the situation Philip had terms that seemed insignificant but those made him decide to stay I'm sure they matter to him but it's sad to think that those were all he needed..to get a new title and a crown. of course it's weird that the monarch and her partner aren't exactly equal which should be the case in an ideal marriage, but it isn't a given here.
however, when all the secretaries in the house were required to shave that was a funny idea of his. I loved that they had to do it.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:38 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoF92 (View Post)
I loved it when the whole family was watching the footage of Philip they were so cute and Elizabeth was the happiest to see him again. it was clear that she missed him very much, but it felt like she was also sad because he looked happy in those pictures like he was happy enough without them there...
I loved it too! Elizabeth's face cause she missed him so much.

Quote:
I've never been a fan of Tommy either mostly for misguiding Elizabeth about Margaret's chances to be married to Peter in S1 and not allowing Martin to become the Queen secretary again..but he can sure can get things done at times.
I hated him with the Martin thing because I like Martin so much. Poor lad just wanting to do his job even this season.

Quote:
Macmillan the new PM is like a corpse, I can never get my head around why all these old men have to take this job sure, more experience and all but if they're tied to bed they surely can't get anything done.
Tbh, I'm glad Eden resigned and I was excited for Macmillan. But then I felt like he's not really all that so I was disappointed.

Quote:
we finally got to the scene we'd seen in the season premiere with them arguing. it was horrible to hear that they would've been considering divorce had it been an option for them and then to save the situation Philip had terms that seemed insignificant but those made him decide to stay I'm sure they matter to him but it's sad to think that those were all he needed..to get a new title and a crown. of course it's weird that the monarch and her partner aren't exactly equal which should be the case in an ideal marriage, but it isn't a given here.
I was confused too like another title is actually what will make Philip stay with Elizabeth? Surely all those months out to sea and longing for your family didn't mean anything?

Old 12-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Fan Forum Star

I didn't get the prinicipal of the crown either for Phillip but maybe it's about him wanting some respect which he feels like he hasn't been given the last few years?
We know he feels bad that he's not in the same range as his wife in regards of the respect he gets... I know he wants to feel some kind superiority.. Maybe that's why he wants it? He wants to feel some kind of 'power'

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
Old 12-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

yes, it's understandable in a way he couldn't think of anything else that would give him actual power and some respect in the royal family. it's not natural for men to be below their wife in a way, and he was still feeling powerless

Old 12-11-2017, 01:13 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartღaflutter (View Post)
I didn't get the prinicipal of the crown either for Phillip but maybe it's about him wanting some respect which he feels like he hasn't been given the last few years?
We know he feels bad that he's not in the same range as his wife in regards of the respect he gets... I know he wants to feel some kind superiority.. Maybe that's why he wants it? He wants to feel some kind of 'power'
That's true. He did mention those mustached men not listening to him. So that part where he's on this throne and everyone else is looking at him was so telling of the change that was gonna happen to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoF92 (View Post)
yes, it's understandable in a way he couldn't think of anything else that would give him actual power and some respect in the royal family. it's not natural for men to be below their wife in a way, and he was still feeling powerless
I agree, especially during that time where people are so old-fashioned. Normally, it has been men in power so it's the reverse during Queen Elizabeth's reign.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

and Philip's always had lots of troubles with that role. I always wondered why he didn't wanna kneel before her at the coronation when he must've done it when he proposed. it couldn't have made such a difference

Old 12-13-2017, 05:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

Maybe the proposal wasn't that romantic
Though with a proposal he wanted a yes.. he got nothing out of the kneeling before the crown

I had difficulties with the scene where everything was so silent when he had that crown on his face.. Nobody looked happy, it seemed like a way to please Phillip and gain stability in that marriage. I think everyone thought that!

Quote:
I loved the start of this episode, how fond they had grew of each other in their absence and their children enjoying that picture show of the husky's and penguins.
The footage was lovely!

Quote:
This is a sad ep for me because it's clear that something is wrong with Philip & Elizabeth's marriage. Philip fires Mike because the divorce was carried out. Can you believe in the normal world, this isn't a problem but because they're from the Royal family, the mistake of Philip's private secretary affects him too. Philip ends up with getting yet another title though I don't understand what that title will mean to him when he's already the Queen's husband?
Yeah this ep really showcases it! Especially since Elizabeth has to ask him what it takes for him to be happy so they can move on from being this unhappy with each other.

Quote:
I'm not too sure about Elizabeth actually going to Eileen's house. That could be added drama but at least she was able to read that letter of Mike to the Thursday club.
Not sure either but they've known each other since Malta

Quote:
Anthony Eden is surely the least effective PM. He went to Jamaica to "rest" and then expect everything to get better when he comes back? He just avoided all the problems by going away. I'm glad he resigned, all the negative publicity didn't help too.
He also put Elizabeth in a weird position when he lied to her when she knew there was involvement from him in those attacks

Quote:
Also, Tommy isn't my favorite character but I'm glad he's back actually. If he was still Private Secretary, he would've handled this scandal with ease.
It's nice to see Michael asking for his support.. Tommy has handled a lot of scandals and though situations so it's nice to see him still being involved with the Royal Family
Plus the actor is doing a wonderful job!
Quote:
they were so cute and Elizabeth was the happiest to see him again. it was clear that she missed him very much, but it felt like she was also sad because he looked happy in those pictures like he was happy enough without them there...
It felt like that to me as well.. I think she wanted to see him be miserable a little

Quote:
then when Elizabeth was told about the adultery scandal..which only fueled her doubts about Philip's loyalty
Understandably IMO since Phillip was always hanging out with Mike..

Quote:
IMO he's more okay then Eden (as far as the eps I've seen so far )

x

Last edited by heartღaflutter; 12-13-2017 at 05:34 AM
Old 12-13-2017, 12:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

^ I was so looking forward to a happy reunion but ofc we couldn't get that either
Quote:
It felt like that to me as well.. I think she wanted to see him be miserable a little
sure. she didn't wanna see him so happy to be without his family it's a very complex feeling
Quote:
IMO he's more okay then Eden (as far as the eps I've seen so far )
well, he was pretty weird in his own marriage which is a bad sign for anything else he does in life there was little said about what he's actually accomplished but he wasn't in office for long either

Old 12-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Liked them watching the video. It was cute.
I did like seeing Tommy back he's not the most likeable guy but he does get things down
Like Philip decree that the men shave the mustaces. I was sad that Philip had to fire Mike, he wasent a good husband but he was a good friend. I hope things get better for E and p cause I do believe they love each other just the crown brings them tension
Old 12-14-2017, 02:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

no sadly no happy reunion

Quote:
ure. she didn't wanna see him so happy to be without his family it's a very complex feeling
Very complex... Especially given how he left with her assumption that he might be cheating.
Quote:
well, he was pretty weird in his own marriage which is a bad sign for anything else he does in life there was little said about what he's actually accomplished but he wasn't in office for long either
No that's true but there seemed to be less political issues.. haha or so it seemed on the show

Quote:
I did like seeing Tommy back he's not the most likeable guy but he does get things down
Very true!
Quote:
Like Philip decree that the men shave the mustaces. I was sad that Philip had to fire Mike, he wasent a good husband but he was a good friend. I hope things get better for E and p cause I do believe they love each other just the crown brings them tension
The Crown complicated things for them for sure... I think before the Crown they were more equal or well maybe not even that, Phillip had more say in things and she was more willing to oblige,now that she is Queen she can't do that anymore

Old 12-14-2017, 02:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
No that's true but there seemed to be less political issues.. haha or so it seemed on the show
they had some serious issues in Ghana but Elizabeth had to take care of that herself

Old 12-14-2017, 02:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think they both had more of a equal say before the crown. They didn't think George would die in their early years of marriage