Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2017, 11:03 AM
Moderator Support Team

Stranger Things: S02E09: Chapter 9: The Gate

Chapter Nine: The Gate
Episode Discussion
Air Date - October 27, 2017

Episode Description:
Eleven makes plans to finish what she started while the survivors turn up the heat on the monstrous force that's holding Will hostage.

Basic Rules:
↬ Be respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views.
↬ Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
↬ No character/actor bashing. We love your opinions on storylines, but keep in mind that these are real people
who are just trying to do the best with what they are given.
↬ We might not always like how things turn out, but just remember things can always get better.
↬ Any talk of illegal downloading should not be brought up here. Live streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
↬ Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Last edited by My Kind Of Crazy; 10-28-2017 at 03:59 PM
My Kind Of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:50 PM
Moderator Support Team

we finally get the school dance

mike and eleven
lucas and max
will and some random girl
dustin and nancy

love that she reached out to him when he was sitting by himself crying cuz nobody would dance with him. (and that hair. omg)

hopper adopted "jane". but still needs to keep a low profile thanks to dr. owens.

so is the shadow monster still alive? or is the gate simply not closed all the way? what was the deal with that last scene?

Last edited by My Kind Of Crazy; 10-28-2017 at 04:16 PM
Old 10-29-2017, 02:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

Great episode! One of the best this season for sure, but that was expected seeing that it was the finale.

I liked seeing Mike’s break down, that was great acting by the actor there.

Eleven and Mike were cute but a tad cheesy for my taste. However, I was still a bit annoyed when Hopper interrupted their kiss.

Billy flirting with Nancy’s mom was grosss. WTF was that random ass scene. This character is annoying and what is his obsession with his sister? He just wants to have power over her because he feels powerless with his father?

Can Joyce and Hopper get together now? So they can all be a family? That would be so adorable with Eleven, Jonathan, and Will in one roof.

I loved seeing Hopper be fatherly to Eleven. It was clear he was projecting because of Sarah. I love that we finally got a mention of her. Hopefully we’ll get some answers to what happened there next season.

Steve is a great guy this season, I actually felt pretty bad for him. But I still prefer him and Nancy as friends. When he said he was a good babysitter that was hilarious. And I love that he wanted her to go with Jonathan. What a great guy. I just love how involved he is with everything this season. Standing up to Billy was great too. He’s such an MVP this season. He’s definitely becoming my favorite character at this point I think.

Steve and Dustin are one of my favorite interactions this season for sure. All those scenes with Steve and the kids was so great. I love that they tried to do something to help.

Nancy and Jonathan . They are so cute. Poor Will getting tortured like that, but it needed to happen. I loved when Jonathan cried into Nancy’s shoulder.

Glad to see there was justice for Barb’s death.

Glad that Eleven survived! I still wanna know how Eleven survived at the end of LAST season.

The flashfoward was cute. I liked getting to see Christmas again.

HOPPER ADOPTED ELEVEN! YAY!

STEVE TOOK DUSTIN TO THE DANCE I CANT.

Steve watching Nancy was really cute. Poor Steve.

The Nancy/Jonathan looks were so cute.

TIME AFTER TIME OMG one of my favorite songs! So many feels!

Lucas and Max are cute I guess. Poor Dustin. His little wink was SO FUNNY.

NANCY DANCING WITH DUSTIN WAS SO CUTEEEEEEE. “You know. Out of all my brothers friends. You’re my favorite.” Her little pep talk to him was so damn cute.

Eleven showing up and Mike and her seeing each other was really cute. The kiss too. They are sweet together, i can admit.

WHY DID THEY HAVE TO THROW THAT ENDING IN THERE. WHY. lol I do wonder if it means anything or if it was just for fun.
Alexa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:05 AM
Passionate Fan

I definitely think the shadow monster is still alive. It was just pushed out of our dimension.

I'm not sure how the Upside Down will play into next season. It does look like the gate was closed, but of course she couldn't destroy the UD, so it is still there. *shrug*

~Katie~
Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:42 PM
Moderator Support Team

i dont know what to think about that monster at the end. that is such a bad tease they left us with .

Stranger Things: Here's Why the Dance Was the Perfect Ending

Last edited by My Kind Of Crazy; 10-31-2017 at 04:11 PM
Old 11-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

i thought the end was just like a little eerie ending for fun maybe?

it'll probably get opened again by the dumb lab or something lol.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Moderator Support Team

yeah your right about the lab. they would be the ones to open it
Old 11-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

The ending to this was freaking amazing! Eleven floating was so powerful!

I cried like a baby at Dusty in the end. He can do so much better than Max though. I also think it's amazing Nancy saw him and danced with him, especially since he used to fancy her. It was so heartwarming I loved it.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Moderator Support Team

i agree he needs to forget about max. he can do so much better. i loved his scenes with nancy.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I didn't mind the ending it was a tease to next season. I try to focus on everyone at the dance and all the couples and friendships. I am glad that Hopper and el are family. Love that Dustin and Steve are still friends.
I hope next season the monster leaves Will alone
fox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Here I am at the last episode again. Both excited...and bummed out that I have to experience it ending for a second time

The best way to start an episode? Mike and Eleven getting their long overdue teary hug! Him assuring her he never gave up and called her for "353 days" <--El finishing his declaration because she knows. She heard him the whole time So naturally Mike is confused why she didn't let him know she was alright and that's when he learns Hopper has been hiding her. So they go have a little chat and by chat I mean Mike yells at him and punches him and curses at him and Hopper is lowkey cool with it and hugs Mike as he cries and all Hopper wants is for Mike not to blame Eleven which he doesn't.

"You have teeth" I love that Eleven notices that about Dustin pretty much right away and startles when he does his little purr I'm sooo sad by her petty young girl reaction to Max, but I'm hopeful that in the future they'll be friends. Because honestly the show could use a female power duo! I loved hearing Joyce call her sweetheart as they hugged. Such a sweet moment between a mother and her future daughter Eleven is quite worried about Will who she has never had much proper interaction with, but she knows he isn't doing well because she saw it. Joyce is hopeful that because Eleven once opened the gate that Will messaged them about that she could close it again.

Poor Mrs. Wheeler just wants a moment of peace in the bath tub with her romance novel, but nah. Doorbell rings. Husband is useless. So moment is ruined. Then we got Billy laying it on THICK with her, calling her Nancy's sister and all, and she's eating it up because...well Billy is attractive and, like said, her husband is rather useless. But anyway Billy pretends to be worried sick about Max and was hoping she was chilling at what he heard was the designated hangout from Mrs. Sinclair (he made sure to look at Lucas's first), but nope. He's given Will's address. Also interesting to note he says Nancy isn't his type which....is making me think considering his father use the F word in a previous episode.

"Stop trying to make demadogs happen." I feel like that's everyone toward Dustin who insists on interrupting with the word he came up with whenever the creatures are mentioned El believes she can close the gate despite Hopper's warnings. Mike, naturally, is the one that points out that sending the Mind Flayer away and back through the gate would effectively kill it's army and Will is part of that army. Will would die. MIKE WOULD BE THE ONE TO THINK OF THE WILL OF IT ALL

Joyce FINALLY realizes that they have to stop giving the thing inside Will what it wants. And they all conclude that since he essentially has a virus that likes to be cold they have to make Will uninhabitable by making him super hot. And Mike points out they have to do it somewhere the Flayer won't recognize. Hopper's cabin to the rescue! Steve is searching around outside with Nancy for space heaters and such and tells her she should go with Jonathan. And when she's uneasy about leaving Mike he points out the truth we all know, he's a damn good babysitter. He also said he was a crap boyfriend which I don't really agree with? I think he was originally meant to be portrayed as one, but honestly that didn't pan out so well. He wasn't a crap boyfriend. Regardless he tells Nancy it's okay and is really mature about everything. Steve wins the season as we all know

Mike and El have an almost kiss! One that came with promises that they'll see each other again. But then Hopper had to go and interrupt at just the right moment. Such a dad Mike is one very sad and teary puppy as he watches her leave again. Actually Will is leaving at that time, too. His favorite people are both off on some very dangerous adventures without him.

Ahh this scene between Hopper and El is their best scene of the season! So much happens! So many shared emotions! It's beautiful. He's wondering why she looks like an "MTV Punk" And his reaction as she explains that she went to see her Mama by riding in a nice man's big truck is priceless I do hope Eleven one day realizes how very dangerous that was! It still didn't explain her look though since he didn't believe her aunt Becky gave her those clothes, but El didn't elaborate. She just said she shouldn't have left, but he didn't want her blaming herself because he should have been there. He shouldn't have lied to her about her Mama. It was saddening to see him refer to himself as a black hole He truly believes he destroys everything around him, including his daughter Sarah who El learned about for the first time Basically they are both very sorry. He admits he thinks her new look is cool and she says "bitchin'" which he tries out also. Just so cute! Such a cute moment! Which is somewhat tainted by the fact that they're driving toward the lab

Segway to more cuteness! Steve with his kiddos! Doing normal babysitter things like shoving a dead creature from another dimension into the fridge! Per Dustin's very bossy request! The other kiddos start devising a plan after they point out to Steve they are on the bench (they don't want to be). They think they can draw the pack of puppies away by shimmying down the hole Hopper dug and setting fires! Steve, being the sound babysitter he is, is like HELL NAH STAY ON THE BENCH! I mean, it's his jobs to keep those lil sh**heads safe! But then Billy shows up and he has that to deal with. He tells Billy not to cream his pants because he's there. And Billy asks where his sister is. "Small. Red head. Bit of a bitch." I will ruin you Billy Steve wants to play dumb, but the kiddos are kinda actually dumb for watching this all unfold from the window so Billy sees them.

Billy really is an unnatural rage machine and not only that, but he has complete tunnel vision when he's raging out. The dude walked into a VERY weird house, full of scribble drawings that were plastered EVERYWHERE and he didn't even notice. He just saw Max and complained about her disobeying him and how he needs to break things and that thing needed to be Lucas. He tells Lucas to stay away from her, but Lucas knees him in the jewels Then Steve comes into play hero which has Dustin fanboying, but backfires when he starts getting his butt kicked pretty horrifically. Let me take this moment to point out that I truly believe Billy is the most pointless character. I mean okay not POINTLESS, but he is nothing other than a plot device, and if there isn't much of him next season I wouldn't be sad about it. But anyway! MAX'S GLORIOUS MOMENT HAS ARRIVED! She stabs her step-bro in the neck with Will's sleepy time meds, almost nail bats him in the jewels, and makes him say that he understands to back off her and her friends. The trio of Lucas, Dustin, and Mike look part terrified and part in awe. There's really no denying now she's part of their party. She grabs her bro's keys and is ready for them all to get out of there

So! Eleven sees the lab again and naturally has some not so fun flashbacks, but she steels herself and marches in ahead of Hopper right after he tells her to let him handle the heavy lifting so she can save her strength They find Doc in rough shape, but hey at least he wasn't eaten like Bob Doc is in shock to see El and Hopper admits she's been with him for a year now and is about to save them all so maybe after everything is settled Doc can help save her by helping her live a normal life.

Will is tied up. Heat is up. Fire is on. It's getting toasty! And Mama bear is ready to smoke that bitch out of her son and, with the memory of Bob in her heart, she is not falling for Will's screams or letting up. It's clear Jonathan wants to cave and has to hide against Nancy. It's HARD to see Will thrashing and screaming about his pain. Seriously kudos to Noah because I feel like this whole segment was utterly exhausting to film.

Steve waking up to see Mike (who he initially mistakes as Nancy ) holding a gas can in a car driven by Max while Lucas gives directions and Dustin consoles him about him getting his butt kicked. He naturally freaks out Also the little band-aids on him are so precious omg! Max, aka Zoomer, REALLY zooms (as fast and recklessly as Billy tbh) them to Hopper's hole and impresses the boys yet again. Steve keeps arguing with them. Keeps pretending he is in charge and has authority, but it's a losing battle. Dustin gives him his bat and reminds him he told Nancy he would protect them so he should do that. Down into the wild tunnels they go! Mike leading the way! Dustin has such a HISSY FIT when he gets sprayed. The intensity of his shrieks just to eventually say he's okay I hope he really is and that's not something that will come back to haunt him in the future

Jonathan and Joyce have a difference of opinion on how this Will thing should be handled. He wants to free Will and thinks this is all too much and she has to stop him, but then one of Will's arms comes free and he becomes a demonic-mother-choker that is only stopped by Nancy ramming a hot poker into his side. I wonder if that'll leave some kind of scar? But anyway Mind Flayer/Shadow Monster/Whatever flies out of Will and out into the night. Will is himself again. Thank goodness!

I have no idea what Hopper would have done had Steve and his kiddos not lured all the puppies away....I mean he was just walking up to him with his gun and hoping he could clear them away...which he likely wouldn't have. So yeah! Good thing those kids are crazy! Jonathan gives the okay to shut the gate!

Why must someone always trip when there's a mad dash to run away from somewhere? Mike was that person and Steve saved him, but then Dart showed up. Actually the Dustin and Dart scene was really cute. And oddly sad. It's a good thing Dustin seems to always have 3 Musketeers on his person and it was just the thing to give Dart to distract him while the others pass, but really Dart LET them pass because he did turn to watch them go. See? Kinda cute. The world shakes and they start getting the heck out of the underground. Max first (what gentleman). Everyone is out except Dustin and Steve and it's looking too late for them because the puppies have arrived. Steve is ready to protect Dustin to the end But the puppies don't care about them because they are being called back to where El and Hopper are. Not a moment too soon!

Eleven is one powerful child. And we see the child in her when she holds Hopper's hand before she starts closing the gate. She thinks about what Kali taught her about channeling her anger into her powers. Shadow Monster isn't liking this so Hopper has to starts shooting puppies who are coming at them from all directions while Eleven does her thing. A lot is going through her head and fueling her. Basically everything she has ever been through led up to this moment and it's so overwhelming that she is literally lifted off her feet. Hopper was like Admittedly! I thought it was a little hokey. Not necessarily a bad hokey! Just very superhero movie...which I guess it kind of is for her. All the electricty in town is reacting to her and then BOOM! Bye bye gate! Also bye bye Dart that was kinda sad. Gotta love Hopper's "You did good, kid. You did so good."

A month later the lab is shut down Hawkins is in the national spotlight. Conspiracy reporter man is loving life. Barb is finally put to rest like she deserves And her parents...know enough of the partial truth of what happened to her, like that it was the lab's fault. Doc managed to get Hopper a birth certificate for Eleven...or should I say Jane Hopper Jane is such a hard name to get used to! Just goes to show though that the Doc came through and helped out like they hoped he was, but he warns Hopper that he should let things cool off for about a year. But Hopper wants to let her out for one special night

I don't think I had noticed Will's drawing of Superhero Bob before. I'm so glad I caught that this time Joyce teaching Will to dance is forever precious And Jonathan is filming which is also rather precious. Feeling less precious is Mike because his mom is back at it with the camera I looove Lucas practicing how he's going to ask Max to dance and being busted by his sister Erika But the BEST is Dustin with the Farah hairspray Also shoutout to his mom for getting a new kitten! I'm glad she's healing from her loss

Seriously I never expected Steve to take Dustin to the dance. He really took to that kiddo. And he's still pushing his terrible "pretend not to care" advice. Oh, Steve. It's really quite wonderful how he assures Dustin he looks good and is just a really supportive faux older bro. Sad that he's so hung up on Nancy though. I hope he can get over that! He deserves better honestly. Nancy is manning the punch bowl and Jonathan is taking photos which is cute, but also funny If Steve is a babysitter then they are parents How very dare the gang of kiddos make fun of Dustin's hair! I mean that's what friends do, but still! How dare

I dreaded watching the dance scene again because honestly It was the one time during the whole season that I got really teary eyed. Firstly, Lucas is adorable in his utter failure to ask Max to dance, but she still picks up on what he's trying to say and off they go! Then some random girl comes for "zombie boy" and after some encouragement from Mike off Will goes, too! Now could I be reading too much into things? Possibly. But they showed both Dustin and Mike looking off at the dancing pairs with a similar look on their faces. Just saying. Anyway, the fact that Dustin tries repeatedly to get someone to dance with despite rejection makes him one brave young man! But he ends up by himself crying which once again made me cry also, but it's okay! Because Nancy saved him! She taught him to dance, told him he was her fav out of her brother's friends, and most importantly told him girls that age are dumb and they'll wisen up. Such a great lil scene

I like that Joyce's idea of giving Will space is lurking in the parking lot outside of the school After everything though, who could blame her? I'd be doing the same thing Hopper and her share a moment and a cigarette. She's still very much grieving Bob. BOB

Enter Eleven! Jane Whatever! She comes in and Mike is all They figure out how to dance together and there's double the kisses with Lucas/Max and Mike/Eleven. It's all very sweet! And feels very rewarding since they've all had so much to deal with. But then things get very creepy when lurking right above the school in upside down land is the Mind Flayer it can sense their presence. Because every move they make...every breath they take....it'll be watching them

Goodbye to Season 2 of Stranger Things The rewatch was wonderful This show was wonderful! I can't wait for season 3 so I can write more novel sized responses!
Old 11-30-2019, 02:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

Steve trying to protect all the kids was so cute.

What is Billy's problem? Why is he such a psycho? lol.

The end half was a lot better than the first half imo, I really loved just seeing the kids in some normal scenes, going to the dance and stuff. That was refreshing. Some great interactions between people. Dustin/Steve are the cutest.

Nancy asking Dustin to dance was so sweet!

The Hopper/Joce scene was so cute.

The music in this episode was so good! I just love 80's music.

Nice finish to the season, and I am so excited to rewatch season 3!

Last edited by Alexa; 05-05-2022 at 09:15 PM
Reply   Post New Thread