Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2016, 02:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Stranger Things ▪ Chapter Eight: The Upside Down ▪ Episode Discussion

Chapter Eight: The Upside Down
Episode Discussion
Air Date - July 15, 2016

Episode Description:
Interrogated by Brenner, Hopper gives up El's location in exchange for neutrality and access to the gate. He and Joyce enter in Hazmat suits and discover the creature's nest, where they find Will unconscious with a slug-like creature in his esophagus. Nancy and Jonathan booby-trap the Byers' home, then cut their hands to attract the creature with their blood. Steve arrives, intending to apologize to Jonathan about their fight. The monster attacks and Steve traps it, but it escapes back to the Upside-Down. In the middle school, where El and the boys are hiding, Mike asks El to a school dance, then kisses her. Agents storm the school, but El crushes their brains. As Brenner recovers the weakened El, the monster enters and begins to attack Brenner. The boys escape with El and hide in a room, until the monster finds and tries to attack them. El pins it against a wall, says goodbye to Mike, and both vanish. Will is hospitalized and reunited with his mother, brother, and friends. Hopper is reluctantly picked up by a black car. One month later, Nancy has gotten back together with Steve, and both are friends with Jonathan. Hopper leaves Eggos in a box in the woods. In the bathroom of his home, Will coughs up a slug-like creature, briefly sees the world like the Upside-Down, and returns to dinner.

Basic Rules:
↬ Be respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views.
↬ Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
↬ No character/actor bashing. We love your opinions on storylines, but keep in mind that these are real people
who are just trying to do the best with what they are given.
↬ We might not always like how things turn out, but just remember things can always get better.
↬ Any talk of illegal downloading should not be brought up here. Live streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
↬ Most importantly, HAVE FUN!
a fine mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:50 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

Thanks for starting this thread Cece
One Thing Remains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for starting!
Old 10-14-2016, 01:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

This is a cool recap for anyone interested .
Old 09-08-2017, 03:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm confused as to how Hopper knows so much. And why the bad men think that they wouldn't find Will? How is the lab connected to the underground? They just discovered it or did they create it? And how can the monster come to Wills room through the wall? Because Will had been hiding there in the underground world? And how was Will able to survive without food? He's just been hiding the whole time?

NANCY AND JONATHAN ARE SO CUTE. I wish they would have kissed. Why did Steve have to show up? I sorta love that Steve was there though and was let in on everything! Him freaking out over the monster was hilarious! I love that he came back in to help. Him swinging the bat was pretty hot. The three of them working together was kind of great.

The kids didn't have a lot to do this episode at the beginning but stole the end. Personally I didnt like the Mike/Eleven stuff, I think they are a bit too young. But I guess with Eleven "sacrificing" herself they wanted to do it. Eleven finally overpowering the monster was amazing. But also sad.

Hopper pulling the thing out of Will's mouth was SICK man. But I am glad they revived him! And then the scene at the end with Jonathan and Will was really sweet.

Steve in a Christmas sweater! So in the flashfoward he and Nancy are back together, which I am okay with. I want more of a slow burn for Jon/Nancy anyway. And I liked that Steve was supportive of that friendship.

Will spitting up the slug at the end. And the little flash of the underground... so creepy.

Fitting for the show to end on Christmas!

Such an amazing first season. Cant wait to see where the show goes in season 2.
Alexa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:13 PM
Moderator Support Team

dr. brenner says the "thing" has taken 6 people this week.

the interrogation between him and joyce was great. glad she told him to go to hell

i love the way they booby trapped the house

so when hopper and joyce go into brenner secret layer, hopper then has flashbacks to his daughter having problems breathing.

so the boys are left at the gym alone and dustin needs more chocolate pudding

so in the layer hopper sees some of his daughter's toys that belonged to her when she got sick. which now gives him hope?

so the monster is ontop of jonathan and nancy is shooting it but the bullets have no effect on it. so steve then comes running back and starts hitting it with the bat? and then they get it onto the bear trap and set it on fire. i am really surprised that steve actually came back into the house to help them.

i love the awkward scene between mike and el how he tries to ask her to the dance and why they are not bother and sister. and then he does in to kiss her.

el then saves her friends from the bad guys by killing them but also drained herself completely in the process

so all the blood from killing those agents attracted the monster and then it killed dr brennen as well.. the boys were able to escape with el

"goodbye mike" was so sad. cuz mike was actually crying when she said it.

watching hopper do cpr on mike and then the flashbacks to his own daughter dying was such an emotional scene.

jonathan comes out to the waiting room to tell them that will is awake. im surprised to see that steve is one of the people sitting there. but all his friends and family are there. nancy still seems distant though, i guess she is missing barb?

hopper leaves with the MIB, i guess this is part of the deal he made with brennen's men before when they agreed to let him have access to the secret layer?is he working with them now?

so one month later and steve and nancy are back together but it seems nancy still has feelings for jonathan? that camera that steve gave jonathan was clearly and empty box cuz it would have been a lot heavier when will picked it up and tossed it around

so hopper puts a tupper wear container and eggos in a box out in the woods. how does he know that will lead to el and his daughter? so that some portal or something?

will then goes to the bathroom to wash his hands only to cough up a slug and sees flashes of the upside down world.

cant wait for the next season to start
My Kind Of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

This was a phenomenal episode. Best of the season imo. I also loved the pilot and i would say episodes 7 and 2 were the strongest ones of the season imo. Nancy and Jonathan setting everything up at the house was a fun scene. I like that Jonathan has a little Lucille.. (walking dead anyone? lol) Steve showing up was really hilarious and fun. I wish the three of them would have more scenes together because I really enjoy them. Steve coming back to help was really awesome.

Poor Hopper! Seeing flashbacks of his daughter was so sad. LOVE that Will was still alive and Hopper was able to save him. What was the deal with Hopper and the MIB people? The ending we know where that leads now, but that was such a huge hint that Eleven was alive.

The scene with Will and his friends as the end was so cute. I love Will. Poor guy though, having underground flashes and caughing slugs. Ewwww. And he's not telling anyone... not good.

Steve/Nancy are cute but I still want her with Jonathan and a big confused as to why they arent together... but Steve getting the camera for him was really sweet. I liked the little look between J/N as well.

Really excited to watch season 2 because I only saw it once and don't remember a lot of it.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

This was a phenomenal episode. Best of the season imo. I also loved the pilot and i would say episodes 7 and 2 were the strongest ones of the season imo. Nancy and Jonathan setting everything up at the house was a fun scene. I like that Jonathan has a little Lucille.. (walking dead anyone? lol) Steve showing up was really hilarious and fun. I wish the three of them would have more scenes together because I really enjoy them. Steve coming back to help was really awesome.

Poor Hopper! Seeing flashbacks of his daughter was so sad. LOVE that Will was still alive and Hopper was able to save him. What was the deal with Hopper and the MIB people? The ending we know where that leads now, but that was such a huge hint that Eleven was alive.

The scene with Will and his friends as the end was so cute. I love Will. Poor guy though, having underground flashes and caughing slugs. Ewwww. And he's not telling anyone... not good.

Steve/Nancy are cute but I still want her with Jonathan and a big confused as to why they arent together... but Steve getting the camera for him was really sweet. I liked the little look between J/N as well.

Really excited to watch season 2 because I only saw it once and don't remember a lot of it.
Reply   Post New Thread