Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 01:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Weight lifting thread!! Let's get in shape!

Didn't see a thread for this and i'm very excited to begin weight training. I heard it's great for women and since i'm not getting any younger, I thought i'd give this a try. Does anyone have any advice on where to start and what exercises are good? I don't want to be super built like a bodybuilder, but just toned. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Found this info tonight.

Once you've started burning fat, now you're ready to hit the weights. According to Ricciardi, you should work out with weights three to four times a week, performing strength-training exercises after your aerobic workout.

What exercises should you do to start building muscle and firming up areas now plagued with cellulite? Try some of these:

Leg Curls: With a weight between your feet, lie facedown on the floor. Bring your feet up behind you in a semicircular arc as far as possible. Keep your torso pressed against the mat or bench without lifting your hips. Repeat 10 to 15 times. Firms up thighs.
Hack Squats: Place your feet shoulder width apart. Hold two dumbbells behind your bottom. Bend your knees to 90 degrees, and then stand up. Repeat 10 to 15 times. Tightens rear.

Inner Thigh Toning: Attach an exercise band around both feet, keeping legs straight. Lie on your side and extend your left leg. Hold this position for 30 seconds. Change legs and repeat 10 to 15 times. Tightens inner thighs.

Lunges: Place your right leg in front. Stretch out your left leg, place your hands on your hips, and bend both legs at the knees until you are an inch from the ground. Change legs and repeat 10 to 15 times. Firms thighs and bottom.

Step Exercises: Use a step and hold a weight in each hand. Start with both feet on the step, and then step off the back with your right foot. Don't allow your right foot to touch the floor before you use the muscles of your left leg to bring your right one back up to the step. Change legs and repeat 10 to 15 times. Firms bottom.

Ricciardi adds the following tips for women getting started with strength training:

Train with a partner. The ability to motivate and the sense of security each provides, increases the likelihood of her fitness longevity and reduces the chances of injury.

Don't dress to find a mate. Wear comfortable clothing in the gym that will absorb perspiration.
Remember the basics of strength training: consistency, determination and motivation.

Don't waste your time. Hire a Certified Fitness Trainer if your knowledge is limited of the weight room.

Plan workouts ahead of time. Always know what you're going to do in the gym before you go.

Write everything down. Sets, reps, weight, how you're feeling, what you ate and when. You can use these notes as a guide as you continue working out.

Through it all – the commitment to healthier eating, regular aerobic exercise and weight training – remember that it's easy to get discouraged, especially if you're not seeing results as quickly as you'd like. Vedral reminds women that "it takes about 12 weeks to see a clear change and up to 40 weeks to see most of it (cellulite) gone from a difficult area."

Ricciardi stresses that women should focus on the progress they have made rather than how far they have to go. "Take the successes, no matter how small. Celebrate those successes." He also recommends to his clients that "they take a 'before' picture in a bathing suit in week one. Place it aside; don't look at it for 12 weeks. In the thirteenth week of consistent training, take another picture. Compare the two – you'll be amazed how much better you look."

When you do achieve the results you've been striving for, don't stop. Keep up your fitness routine and you won't have to make another New Year's resolution to get in shape again – being in shape will be a lifestyle. With support, a plan and a spotlight on the little wins along the way, you can make this year the year you get serious about eliminating those dimply, jiggling areas that plague us all. Get moving!

I really like the journal idea. I'm going to start doing that. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-30-2003: Message edited Josh'sTexasGal ]

Watch life unexpected and glee.
icon by jess
*Stacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 04:49 PM
Master Fan

Apparently we have a bunch of lazy people at this board who don’t work out! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I’ve dabbled in weight training for a while now. It’s a tremendous workout and it keeps your heart rate in the “target zone.” Plus, it’s great for endurance if you’re the type who likes to run (like me) or who is involved in sports. Lifting weights 2-3 times a week can make a huge difference! If you do it properly, it’s the best way to burn calories and to build lean muscle mass.

It looks like the workout plan that you listed is a good one. Nice variety! If you want to target a specific area of your body, I would suggest that you look into more exercises to improve strength and tone. However, you can’t spot reduce, so it would be smart to provide more variety to your workout by doing a bunch of different exercises. In doing so, I would suggest that you also add some aerobic work (walking, jogging, riding a bike, swimming, etc.) to enhance the results you get from weight lifting.

Make sure to keep us updated with your progress. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Btw, the journal thing is a really good idea! It's very easy to want to give up without seeing immediate results after a few weeks, and a journal is a great motivator to show you just how much progress you've made. The most important thing I can stress is variety. If you do the same routine all the time, you are likely to get bored and not stick to exercising.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for responding. I was beginning to think I was all alone. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I started lifting a bit tonight with my husband. I felt pretty good and didn't over do it. Once we were through, I went and walked around our short block a few times. It feels good just to get off the couch or away from the computer desk. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I also like the idea of a journal. I have an online one and I'm just going to add to that my progress each week.

icon by jess
Old 05-06-2003, 10:39 PM
Elite Fan

I used to work out 6-7 days a week, but i got uh depressed and distracted, i enjoyed it though. I learned that all those fitness fockers are morons and you should do your own thing. But that's just me.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Extreme Fan

oh me me..i'm not a lazy bum [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] i like to workout a lot too---except i don't have lots of time and and ..umm i'm lazy sometimes.. j/k
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

those a are pretty good exercises--if you don't have an exercise band for the inner thigh exercise can you just use like an ordinary band--lets say a rubber strip or something?
Old 05-08-2003, 08:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think we all get lazy sometimes. The thing is to get back up and go again. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

icon by jess
Old 05-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Extreme Fan

yes--it's just this cold i have that kinda slowed me down..

today i shall bike a 12 k and lift weights [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Dedicated Fan

ok, I workout like once every 2 or so months, sometimes with longer intervals. But I've been meaning to go more often. I just have no time, which is no excuse for not doing crunches or pushups or something while I'm watching TV (though I'm doing homework and talking to people online at that time so I guess that's why I don't do it). I need inspiration.

I like using the bench press machine, though I don't use it right. I just like to see how much I can do, and then the one time I actually did reps I was dying cause I set it at too high of a weight setting. But the most I've done is 115 I think. But only once each time. And I did 100lbs. 6 times.

Anyway, yeah, we should share workout routines and stuff here and the journal idea is good. My dad keeps a chart of how many pushups he does each night, so when I start working out more regularaly (probably starting this summer) I'll have to keep track of everything.

float along and sing a song, we'll hum
along
NYi182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:29 AM
Obsessed Fan

It's hard to find good gyms around the town I live in. They are all in crappy building with old equipment. The one closest to me is a "steroid gym", full of bodybuilders and meatheads. I'm usually the smallest guy using the free weights, or one of the smallest.

Good gyms in Boston but the memberships fees are so expensive. $85 a month and also an initiation fee. I do really like to lift though. I hope to own my own gym in about 10 years.

-Will
When people get the opportunity to talk about the real issues, it becomes clear how vacuous the present agenda is. I have never met anyone in Vermont who thinks it's a good idea to give tax breaks to billionaires and cut back on health care and education. Nobody.-U.S. Representative Bernie Sanders
Milt Palacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 06:11 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Milt Palacio:
<STRONG>
Good gyms in Boston but the memberships fees are so expensive. $85 a month and also an initiation fee. I do really like to lift though. I hope to own my own gym in about 10 years.

-Will</STRONG>
Damn that's high, ours is like 15 a month.

I mainly stick to the HDT room. I ike the steroid freaks do their ISO room posing.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:51 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by NYi182:
<STRONG>ok, I workout like once every 2 or so months, sometimes with longer intervals. But I've been meaning to go more often. I just have no time, which is no excuse for not doing crunches or pushups or something while I'm watching TV (though I'm doing homework and talking to people online at that time so I guess that's why I don't do it). I need inspiration.

I like using the bench press machine, though I don't use it right. I just like to see how much I can do, and then the one time I actually did reps I was dying cause I set it at too high of a weight setting. But the most I've done is 115 I think. But only once each time. And I did 100lbs. 6 times.

Anyway, yeah, we should share workout routines and stuff here and the journal idea is good. My dad keeps a chart of how many pushups he does each night, so when I start working out more regularaly (probably starting this summer) I'll have to keep track of everything.</STRONG>
hello Sophie! how are you?
okay, i'm trying to get my routine together--
then i'll post is here.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:50 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ~soul~:
<STRONG>

hello Sophie! how are you?
</STRONG>
hey! I'm good, how are you?

wow $85... I think it's somewhere around $35 a month and even that is considered kind of a lot, but probably average. But prices have to be kinda low cause there are so many gyms all over the place on Long Island. My best friend's mom is a personal trainer so my best friend and I are going to work on some stuff this summer from what she learns from her mom. If I learn any random interesting stuff I'll post it here for you guys

float along and sing a song, we'll hum
along
NYi182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 05:58 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by NYi182:
<STRONG>

hey! I'm good, how are you?

wow $85... I think it's somewhere around $35 a month and even that is considered kind of a lot, but probably average. But prices have to be kinda low cause there are so many gyms all over the place on Long Island. My best friend's mom is a personal trainer so my best friend and I are going to work on some stuff this summer from what she learns from her mom. If I learn any random interesting stuff I'll post it here for you guys</STRONG>
that would be greatly appreciated [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2003, 01:08 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Guantis Maximus:
<STRONG>
I mainly stick to the HDT room. I ike the steroid freaks do their ISO room posing.</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I've seen this sight far too often! I love laughing at muscleheads checking themselves out in the mirror every five seconds. It's quite amusing.

$85/month?!!! That is quite expensive. The average price around here is around $40-$50 per month, and I even thought that was rather expensive.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:05 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Inner Thigh Toning: Attach an exercise band around both feet, keeping legs straight. Lie on your side and extend your left leg. Hold this position for 30 seconds. Change legs and repeat 10 to 15 times. Tightens inner thighs.
[img]smilies/blinkie.gif[/img] tried this one.. [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] it.
it works the other portion of the thigh as well--good for removing what's people call "saddle bags"

Quote:
I've seen this sight far too often! I love laughing at muscleheads checking themselves out in the mirror every five seconds. It's quite amusing.
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] yup-- they're quite vain yeah--it's funny
oftentimes i believe that guys are a lot vainer than women ..it's funny at the same time pathetic

[ 05-29-2003: Message edited ~soul~ ]