Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2018, 12:36 AM
MST Manager

Thanks for the news! Those trophies are amazing.

I'm very much looking forward to the US Open.

It's a shame about Tsonga.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The US Open starts tomorrow. I'll be watching tennis all day.
New England Patriots Super Bowl LIII Champions
Old 08-26-2018, 07:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Love US Open!!
Old 08-26-2018, 12:27 PM
MST Manager

I'll be watching it live and recorded.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Here is an update from yesterday's finals.

First of all in New Haven, Aryna Sabalenka upset Carla Suarez Navarro 6-1, 6-4 to win the Connecticut Open singles title.

Great win for Aryna Sabalenka, who captured her first title after coming up short in three previous finals.

Andrea Sestini Hlaváčková and Barbora Strýcová won the doubles title.

In Winston-Salem, Daniil Medvedev defeated Steve Johnson 6-4, 6-4 to win the Winston-Salem Open singles title. Jean-Julien Royer and Horcia Tecau won the doubles title.

So that's the story from yesterday's finals.

Next up on the schedule will be the U.S. Open. The final Grand Slam of the year begins tomorrow. The afternoon session will be headlined by a couple of intriguing looking matches in the first two matches at Arthur Ashe Stadium as Grigor Dimitrov will take on 2016 men's champion Stan and then we'll get a matchup of former champions as Venus Williams will face Svetlana Kuznetsova. The new Louis Armstrong Stadium will have it's first matches as French Open champion Simona Halep will play Kaia Kanepi, followed by 2012 men's champion Andy Murray's return to Grand Slam tennis as he will take on James Ducksworth and then reigning women's singles champion Sloane Stephens begins her quest to repeat as she will face Evgeniya Rodina. Elina Svitolina, John Isner, Jack Sock, Kevin Anderson and Milos Raonic will also be in action in the afternoon session. The evening session will have it's usual star power in the first night as former champions Serena Williams and Rafa will be headlining at Arthur Ashe Stadium, while Vika and 2009 men's champion Delpo will be headlining at the new Louis Armstrong Stadium.

Lastly here are some pics of some of the stars at Flushing Meadows and around New York City along with a couple of pics of the new Louis Armstrong Stadium.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:55 AM
MST Manager

Thanks for the news. Amazing pics.

I've just found out that the only way I can watch the US Open is to get Amazon Prime.
It's not going to cost me anything because I can have a month's free trial then cancel it but I won't be able to tape the overnight matches. As I'm in the UK that means most of the matches.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That really sucks. I know a lot of people are having problems with watching sports in different countries. I hope you're able to enjoy what you watch.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:03 AM
MST Manager

Thank you. I've worked out how to get Amazon Prime on my PC and my Smart Phone so I'll see how much tennis I can watch. I might not sleep very much.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That sounds like everyone in the US during the Australian Open.

Simona Halpe lost in the 1st round. My mom was so upset.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulieter (View Post)
Thank you. I've worked out how to get Amazon Prime on my PC and my Smart Phone so I'll see how much tennis I can watch. I might not sleep very much.
I have amazon Prime too! fortunately have this week off work so will be watching quite a bit!
Old 08-27-2018, 03:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Here's the first update from the U.S. Open.

First of all as mentioned earlier, Kaia Kanepi upset Simona Halep 6-2, 6-4.

I had a feeling that this would be a tricky match, especially given that Kaia Kanepi is always a tough challenge for the top players. So good win for her.

Obviously this was a disappointing performance from Simona Halep, who looked a step or two slower than Kanepi.

Andy Murray returned to Grand Slam play with a 6-7(5), 6-3, 7-5, 6-3 win over James Duckworth.

Good win for Andy, who overcame a slow start to come through with the win.

Reigning women's champion Sloane Stephens, John Isner, Jack Sock, Karolina Pliskova and Garbine Muguruza won their matches in straight sets, while Elina Svitolina defeated Sacha Vickery 6-3, 1-6, 6-1 and Milos Raonic defeated Carlos Berlocq 7-6(4), 6-4, 1-6, 6-3.

Also Stan defeated Grigor Dimitrov 6-3, 6-2, 7-5 and in a matchup of former champions that just ended a few minutes ago, Venus Williams defeated Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-3, 5-7, 6-3.

So that's the story from the early matches at Flushing Meadows. Coming up a later on will be the evening session which will be headlined by Serena Williams, Rafa, Vika and Delpo.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:51 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Cyatt (View Post)
Simona Halpe lost in the 1st round. My mom was so upset.
Disappointing no doubt as she's 1 of my faves. It was nice though on a different note to see Andy Murray back as he won his match today. Hope Caroline does the same tomorrow of course.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:21 AM
MST Manager

I saw some live matches, including Halep, and found some highlights online for the matches I missed.

I expected Halep to eventually come through that match so that was a shock.

Great win for Andy Murray.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Here's a brief update from the late matches at the U.S. Open.

First of all, Serena Williams, Vika and Delpo won their matches in straight sets, while Kevin Anderson defeated Ryan Harrison 7-6(4), 5-7, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Also in the last match of the day, Rafa was leading David Ferrer 6-3, 3-4 when Ferrer was forced to retire due to a calf injury. Disappointing end for David Ferrer, especially since he announced that this is gonna be the final Grand Slam of his career. Plus he was playing better too. As for Rafa, he looked good in the first set, but his quality of play dipped in the second set. Obviously he has some fine tuning to do with Carlos Moya and the team.

So that's the story from in the evening matches at Flushing Meadows.

Day 2 is coming up in a few hours and the day will start with an intriguing looking match at Arthur Ashe Stadium as Caroline will take on 2011 champion Samantha Stosur. Following that match, Nole will begin his quest for a third U.S. Open as he will face Marton Fucsovics. The afternoon session will also be headlined by 2014 champion Marin Cilic, Naomi Osaka Caroline Garcia, Petra Kvitova, Coco Vandeweghe, Fabio Fognini, Kei Nishikori, Richie and Gael. Later on in the evening session, former champions Fed and Maria will be in action along with Madison Keys and Nick Kyrgios.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:18 AM
MST Manager

I like Caroline and Samantha so that match is going to be hard to watch.