Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 05:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

What a great week for Andy Murray!

Andy Murray beats Nadal 3-6 6-2 6-0 for the title in Tokyo!

I'm afraid I didn't see the match as it aired at 6am here. I found this article about the match:

Quote:
Murray made a slow start to his 18th contest with Nadal, dropping his opening service game with a groundstroke error. The Scot began to settle into the match, though, and had Nadal under pressure in the seventh game before the Spaniard held on to close out the one-set lead.

The second-seeded Murray broke through the Spaniard’s defences in the fourth game of the second set, persevering to convert his third break point chance as Nadal hit wide. The Scot then rescued a 0/40 situation in the following game with three straight aces, before saving a fourth break point with a forehand winner and holding for a 4-1 lead. With the momentum growing, Murray broke Nadal again in the eighth game to level the match.

Murray hailed the third set as one of the best he has played against Nadal, whom he lost to in the semi-finals at Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open this year. The Dunblane native allowed Nadal just four points as he battered the Spaniard with controlled aggression and potent backhands, racing through the set with three service breaks to clinch victory in two hours and 16 minutes. It was just his fifth win over Nadal.
Murray then went on to win the doubles with older brother Jamie!

What a great victory for Andy and I am so happy for him Anyone see the match and let us know what happened to Rafa?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Great day for Andy in Tokyo, beating Rafa in the singles final and winning the doubles title with his brother Jamie.

Meanwhile in Beijing, Tomas Berdych defeated Marin Cilic 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 to win the men`s title, while Aga Radwanska defeated Andrea Petkovic 7-5, 0-6, 6-4 to win the women`s title, which is her second straight title.

So that`s the story from yesterday`s finals. Coming up this week will be the Shanghai Masters, the Generali Ladies Linz and the HP Japan Women`s Open in Osaka.

In fact the Shanghai Masters is underway, with Andy Roddick defeating Yen-hsun Lu 6-2, 3-6, 6-2.

Good win for Andy. It`s nice to see him get off to a good start by getting some payback on Lu for Wimbledon last year.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:25 AM
MST Manager

Great wins!

Thanks for the updates.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the updates. I have the sport channels this week so I can record the shanghai masters whilst I'm at work. Great wins for andy and for aga, another title I believe she is seeded 8 now
Old 10-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes Aga has moved up to #8 in the new WTA rankings, while Tomas Berdych is now up to #7 in the ATP rankings.

Also in Shanghai earlier today, Stan defeated Juan Monaco 3-6, 6-3, 6-3; Fed defeated Zhe Li 6-2, 6-2 and Donald Young defeated Mao-Xin Gong 6-1, 6-4.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

You mean Fer beat Li Good win for Fernando who has a tough next opponent, Ferrero I believe.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:31 PM
MST Manager

Thanks for that.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Nikki Lots of upsets today. Feli beat Tipsarevic 7-6 7-6 and Tomic beat Fish in 3.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Updates from Shanghai:

Ferrer d. Ferrero 1-6 7-5 6-2

Roddick d. Almagro 6-3 6-4

A Murray d Wawrinka 6-4 3-6 6-3

The big upset was Mayer d Nadal 7-6 6-3

I watched the Nadal match. I'm not sure what happened to Nadal. Mayer played better though and was simply on fire. Nadal missed a lot of forehands that he should have made. Poor thing.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:10 PM
MST Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by misst89 (View Post)
Nikki
Miss you.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikNak (View Post)
Miss you.
Miss you too, don't be a stranger

Updates!

In the first semi - final, it was an all spanish affair as Feliciano Lopez took on David Ferrer.

It was tough first set as it went to tie break which Feli only just edged David.

In the second set, David fought back well and controlled the match from then on. Feli handed the match to David after a very poor service game in which he doubled faulted 3 times in a row.

In the second semi, Murray took on Nishikori. Nish started off well in the first set, but gradually, the momentum stayed with Murray as he took the first set 6-3, 6-0.

So the final tomorrow will be Andy against David. If Andy can secure the title, he will edge past Federer and take the number 3 ranking!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:35 PM
MST Manager

Thanks sweets.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Update..

Andy Murray took on David Ferrer for the Shanghai final. The first set was tight, but David had a chance to take the 1st set at 5-4 and Murray fought back and seized the advantage edging him 7-5.

The second set Ferrer started off strong but Murray was able to break back and Ferrer simply couldn't match Murray's great passing shots. 6-4

Murray wins, 7-5, 6-4!

3 Masters titles, and from Monday, Andy Murray will be the new no 3!

That's it from Shanghai, the Kremlin Cup in Moscow which features Davydenko, Tipsarevic and Troicki, kicks off on Thursday.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the update from Shanghai Theresa.

Andy Murray capped off the Asian swing with a good win over the always tough David Ferrer, which will move him past Fed to the #3 spot in the rankings tomorrow.

Also on the ladies` side, Petra Kvitova won the Generali Ladies Linz, which is is her first title since Wimbledon and Marion Bartoli won the Japan Open.

So that`s the update from today`s finals. As Theresa mentioned earlier, the Kremlin Cup will be next up on the schedule this week along with the If Stockholm Open and the Luxembourg Open.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:07 PM
MST Manager

Thanks as always.