Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 10:30 PM
Elite Fan

NYYT #15 - What Choke? Just get The Boss to spend some money on this team for once!

NYYT stands for = New York Yankees Thread. I changed it so the long title could fit We can change back for the next thread if you guys want to.

To the New York Yankees aka Bronx Bombers thread.

~Golden Rule~
Don't Bash The Yankees

Lots of changes in the Yankee Family. To keep yourself informed of everything that's happening always check with the Official Yankee Home.

Sooo... Half the titles comes from David Letterman's 9/28/2004 as read by Gary "the Sheff" Sheffield

Quote:
Top 10 New York Yankees Strategies for winning the World Series

10. Blind opponent with light reflected off Jeter's World Series rings.

9. Thanks to some scientist friends of mine over at Cal Tech, Mickey
Mantle will be playing Centerfield.

8. We added a home run hitting kangaroo and there ain't a thing anyone can do it about it.

7. Replace opponents' bats with hilarious novelty exploding bats.

6. Never swing at the first pitch and always hit the cut off man, or some crap like that.

5. Can't think of a number five so check out these pythons, ladies (shows right biceps)

4. Here's a secret I used when I won the World Series in Florida in '97 - in the postseason, give 112%

3. Hideki Matsui taught us some crazy Kung Fu

2. Convince Mr. Steinbrenner to spend some money on this team for once.

1. Hit a home run and Oprah will buy you a new car
That #1 doesn't seem so stupid now, huh? Why, you ask? Because we forgot how to hit during the ALCS (except the mini Boston Massachre 2004 aka, Game 3). But after that not only we didn't get home runs, we didn't get anything thus losing to our dear friends the Red Sox from Boston. I don't believe the word choke applies to us in its true context but hey, it's the only word we have to actually express what happened to our beloved Yankees. If that's the case, so be it!

Story of the thread

This thread dates back to the 2001 World Series. Before we lost to the Arizona Diamondback -we watched the Playoffs, DJ's awesome plays included - Yankee fans gathered in the old Request thread to request a Yankee board (how pretentious, huh?) Of course, we didn't have enough votes to get one so we decided to start our own thread here in the Sports Board. I'm happy to see it's still going strong. Some peeps come and go (sadly) but there's always enough Yank fans to keep this alive and fun. We lost that historic Fall Classic, the best World Series ever as many of believe, many of us will never recover from that blow but the guys gave it their best.

Seasons and off seasons come ago and we stay... Here in this thread we've seen Tino, Paulie and others go. We've cried. But we've also seen Giambi, Matsui and Alex come aboard and we've cheered. It's not been perfect so far but this is our team. No matter what happens, win or lose.

Like the Yankees said: 26 World Championships... We'll try to do better next century. The thing is though, we love them nonetheless..

::Some of our past thread titles::

-We're in heaven, Yanks are going to for 27
-Our blood runs blue
-On odd days, Derek Jeter volunteers with the Mets (from one of D. Letterman's Top 10)
-Thaaaaaaaa Yankees Win!
-Comeback soon, its not the same without you (When Jeter's shoulder got injured)
-Time to go fishing...
-Once A Yakee, Always A Yankee
-The Spirits Are On Their Way
-Murderers Row 2004
-ARod for President!
-Have faith in the Yankees, my son. - Ernest Hemingway
-Steinbrenner for President

Let's Go Yanks!!!
Old 10-28-2004, 11:52 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ROCKSTAR
But you weren't "better" than us.
Beat you regular season, then beat you post season. We are better, if only a little bit || We are ALOT better than St Louis though.

Good luck this winter, i'm sure it'll be fun buying new pieces of that championship puzzle
Old 10-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Elite Fan

Not better than us. When things could've gone either way, it's a match. Not that I'm happy with that but...anyway. St. Louis embarrassed the NL. They didn't deserve to be anywhere near Boston.

This Off Season will be crazy. "Buying" huh? I'll take that as a funny comment considering the title of this thread

And could you please sign Pedro quickly?? I don't want The Boss drooling all over him. And I sure as hell don't like the idea of him in pinstripes.

He hates us. We don't like him.

Old 10-29-2004, 12:36 AM
Banned

You? Better? Oh, puh-leese! Don't make me scoff. 26 World Series titles versus a team that's got a one digit World Series title.. and who may I add recently got over the curse.. Gee.. I wonder which team would be better? Let me think about that first.

Nikki: Thanks for starting the new thread. It's great. Nice title. I just hope we can fill this really fast, because I don't like the NYYT. Sorry.. I just really want to see the Yankees in it. By the way, I'm gonna be a DJ soon. I wanted my air name to have something to do with the Yankees.. can you think of any?
Old 10-29-2004, 12:46 AM
Banned

Chris again: But then thanks for not believing in the "Japanese curse". Maybe you're not as bad as I thought you were. Anyway, you beat us fair and square. Hope it's a different outcome next year, though.

Yankee fans: Guys, guess what. I can't believe my dad, who used to be a Red Sox fan, just finally woke up and realized he was rooting for the wrong team. He told me starting next year, he'll be rooting for the Mariners. It's good news. I like the Mariners. And another good news. Three Japanese baseball players may be going to the Major League next year. The two players' named have not been mentioned yet, but the other one is Nishi, the Tokyo Yomiuri Giants' second baseman and Matsui's former teammate. He's good. Very good. First in the line up, with good batting average. I'm so excited. I'll root for whatever team he plays for, but nothing can take the plays of the Yankees. The Yankees will and always will be my number one team, although I heard the Yankees wanted to speak to him, so next week or next next week, he'll go to the States and talk to the management.

My dad just asked me a question which made me burst out in laughter. He said: "Yuk, who do you think is uglier? Red Sox third batter or fourth batter?" (He means Manny or Ortiz). I couldn't even answer. I just kept on laughing and laughing. I never even thought about it. And then I asked him: "I don't know. I can't make up my mind. Who do [i]you[/b] think?" And he pondered for a moment then slowly said: "I.. don't know." *shakes head* "The fourth batter reminds me of a gorilla, but the third batter's hair is crazy." My dad just asks questions like that out of nowhere. Maybe some of you would think it's kinda mean.. But I thought it was funny.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:47 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*Katherine_Behr*~
Chris again: But then thanks for not believing in the "Japanese curse". Maybe you're not as bad as I thought you were. Anyway, you beat us fair and square. Hope it's a different outcome next year, though.

Yeah, see I've been a fan, as i'm a fan of the culture. I welcome every foreign established player. Just have a fondness for the Japenese players, cept Your Matsui, i dunno why. It's not his being a Yankme either, i just never liked him. Give me time though, i might end up liking him.

And i should rephrase me statement, we ARE BETTER than the Yankees, THIS SEASON, not last, not the past 86 years. But this is our moment, took long enough. Looking forward to another tough year vs you guys in 2005. We welcome the challenge and the rivarly that goes unmatched.

Also, i think i'd cry if Pete went to NY. IT'd just be wrong.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:33 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by The Daywalker
Yeah, see I've been a fan, as i'm a fan of the culture. I welcome every foreign established player. Just have a fondness for the Japenese players, cept Your Matsui, i dunno why. It's not his being a Yankme either, i just never liked him. Give me time though, i might end up liking him.

And i should rephrase me statement, we ARE BETTER than the Yankees, THIS SEASON, not last, not the past 86 years. But this is our moment, took long enough. Looking forward to another tough year vs you guys in 2005. We welcome the challenge and the rivarly that goes unmatched.

Also, i think i'd cry if Pete went to NY. IT'd just be wrong.
If Matsui played for any other team but the Yankees, you'd prolly like him.

Anyways... considering this is a Yankees thread, could you please stop saying "Yankme". If you want to call them that on the Red Sox thread, MLB thread, or wherever else, fine, but I personally consider that bashing.

I will give credit where credit is due, and the Red Sox certainly deserve all the credit in the world for their comeback against us in the ALCS and for their humiliation of the Cardinals in the WS, but as painful as it is to admit it, the Yankees did choke like no other team in the history of baseball has choked. Once again, I am not trying to take anything away from the Red Sox, but the Yankees basically rolled over and died after Game 3, although they did battle in Games 4-6. The Red Sox played better than the Yankees when all was said and done, yes, but you almost have to try to lose when you can't win 1 game out of 4.

Also, the best team doesn't always win. If a team gets hot, and has lady luck on their side (every team needs luck to win, even the Yankees, not a lot necessarily, but some), they can stay that way throughout the postseason, like I believe the Angels did in 2002.

Last but not least, I don't want Pedro to be a Yankee. His numbers show a clear decline and I don't very much care for his personality. That said, if he is signed by the Yankees this offseason, I will cheer my ass off for him, as I do any player that wears the pinstripes. It would take some getting used to though.

Nikki - @ the thread title. I too think it's about time The Boss opened his wallet and spent a few dollars on the team!

Vote Kelly Clarkson!
Old 10-30-2004, 01:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Last but not least, I don't want Pedro to be a Yankee. His numbers show a clear decline and I don't very much care for his personality. That said, if he is signed by the Yankees this offseason, I will cheer my ass off for him, as I do any player that wears the pinstripes. It would take some getting used to though.
Ditto, Jojo.

By the way, I heard the Boss is going to invest US$200 million next year.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:41 AM
Elite Fan

Yuki how about Mystique or Aura for an air name And yeah, I don't like it much either the "NYYT" but it's the only way to fit the title

Jo Yeah!

I wish the Boss would lower the payroll. But oh well.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:45 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Batteries Not Included

Also, the best team doesn't always win. If a team gets hot, and has lady luck on their side (every team needs luck to win, even the Yankees, not a lot necessarily, but some), they can stay that way throughout the postseason, like I believe the Angels did in 2002.
this is true! if in game 4 clarks ground rule double hadnt bounced in for a ground rule double sierra woulda scored and can u say SWEEP! man it coulda ended so differently...but i mean really red sox had to win after forcing game7 it was almost expected to not lose then and not lose the WS but it seriously seems like this was their dream year, their dream team, and thatll be it, case closed. YANKEES 2005 is my motto now

i did say congrats to a teach in my school who is a sox fan LOL oh well

but i must say one of the reasons i dont like the sox is their fans...they win after 86 years and they cant even party in the streets w/o having ppl arrested, ppl hurt going to the hospital, and massive amounts of police just to try to control the crowds...

wouldnt find yankee fans doing that...thats all im sayin..

Quote:
Originally posted by Batteries Not Included

Last but not least, I don't want Pedro to be a Yankee.
oh hells no i will have some seriosuly problems with this...the yankees are nto only a better team we are better PEOPLE and pedro's attitude jsut does not fly

nikki great thread thanks

yuki damon the hairy beast is the ugliest altho i must say manny's hair has problems too but omg Bronson Arroy's hair has got to go!!!

thank goodness for no facial hair policy on the yankees

Old 10-30-2004, 06:23 PM
Addicted Fan

Hey everyone. I've been away on holiday for a few days so have missed the home comforts of my laptop and FF (not to mention being on vacation for the World Series - ah well, there's always next year - as they USED TO SAY in Boston). And I come home to a new thread!

Wow, I typed 'Boston' without screaming. The hell-period must be over.

Anyway, there's nothing like reflecting on the good times the Yankees have had - today is the last day I wake up to Nick Johnson (on the Yankees calendar, I mean) so let us keep ourselves busy while we count our WS rings while Boston have their moment of glory.

Go Yankees
I can ride you at a gallop till your legs buckle and your eyes roll up. I've got muscles you've never even dreamed of. I could squeeze you until you pop like warm champagne and you'd beg me to hurt you just a little bit more.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:09 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by PVCscully

Anyway, there's nothing like reflecting on the good times the Yankees have had - today is the last day I wake up to Nick Johnson (on the Yankees calendar, I mean)

Go Yankees
I love Nicky. Too bad he's gone.

Now guys... Why don't we get ironic for a second here. Sox fans have always accused us of "buying" championships... How funny is it then that our new WS champs became the highest payroll of any World Series winner in the history of the game.

Now, now... If we were bitter enough to get technical shouldn't we be accusing them of "buying their WS rings" like they did with us in 2000 and well, almost every time we've won?

Hmmm...
Old 10-31-2004, 05:45 AM
Banned

I loved Nick too. Why's he gone? Oh well.. We got Ollie instead, and I like Olerud.

Nikki: ditto. Most Red Sox fans are sore losers before they won the WS, so they accuse the Yankees of so many things. They're just jealous because they haven't earned a ring until this year. But I have to hand it to them. They really earned it this time. Let's just be happy for the Red Sox fans and their fans. The long wait is over, and the loyal fans deserved it. It used to break my heart watching the Red Sox parading.. but not anymore. I got used to it.

You know the Boss. He'd do anything to win.. even if it means investing 200 million dollars.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:53 AM
Banned

Nikki again: Can you please make me a nice Yankees avi? I'm tired of mine. Only if you have time, though.

By the way, ESPN Asia showed a replay of the ALCS Game 7, and they also replayed the part where A-Rod slapped Arroyo's glove. Did you think he did that on purpose?

Jackie: Arroyo's hair us UGLY!! And he gives me the creeps. If I had to pick between Damon and Arroyo, I think I'd pick Damon. I'd pick Damon over Ramirez and Ortiz.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:09 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*Katherine_Behr*~
they also replayed the part where A-Rod slapped Arroyo's glove. Did you think he did that on purpose?

I think it was just instinct to try to knock the ball out.