Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Elite Fan

Ichiro seems to want to stay, but I don't know if they'd want him back or not.

In other news, Soriano opted out today, as expected.
-Bianca- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

Do you think that Mo will come back next season or do you think he's going to retire?
(HTGAWM) Connor&Oliver, (OITNB) John&Daya, (B99) Jake&Amy, (NCIS: LA) Deeks&Kensi, (Castle) Castle&Beckett, (Nashville) Deacon&Rayna, (Chicago Fire) Casey&Dawson, (GMW) Cory&Topanga
MrღMrsStinsbatskys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Elite Fan

He said today he's coming back, apparently.

Hopefully he physically rebounds all the way... you never know when it comes to guys his age though...
Old 11-04-2012, 06:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

I just read about him returning, I'm very happy to know that he's coming back next season maybe with him we'll get another playoff post season.
(HTGAWM) Connor&Oliver, (OITNB) John&Daya, (B99) Jake&Amy, (NCIS: LA) Deeks&Kensi, (Castle) Castle&Beckett, (Nashville) Deacon&Rayna, (Chicago Fire) Casey&Dawson, (GMW) Cory&Topanga
Old 12-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Elite Fan

My eyes, my eyes...
Old 12-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Aghhhhhhh 33 yr old Kevin Youkillis ex white sox and Red Sox who battled the Evil Empire" 12 million one year see how he plays . Got a nice ovation last season in Boston . As a white sox
Old 12-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Elite Fan

But Youk is a shadow of his former self at the moment, isn't he?

Last edited by Avatar; 12-17-2012 at 01:34 PM
Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Red sox didn't want to resign jim last season so he wet to Chicago White Sox . now the Yankees .now that A rod is hurt till perhaps July they need a body who can get hits and play the field .
Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Elite Fan

Matt's got it right: they needed someone to play 3B this season and their "in-house" options sucked.

Youkilis is just a one-year bandaid.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Spring Training has begun and I'm ready for the summer with my boys.

I think they need younger players this team is too old. But, still good they have been losing their ST games lately though.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Derek Jeter announces retirement on Facebook — effective after 2014 season

Quote:
"I've experienced so many defining moments in my career; winning the World Series as a rookie shortstop, being named the Yankees captain, closing the old and opening the new Yankee Stadium. Through it all, I've never stopped chasing the next one. I finally want to stop the chase and take in the world."
Y! SPORTS
Old 04-03-2014, 06:30 PM
Master Fan

The Yankees have their first lead of the season. Let's see how long it last.

The previous two games, they played horribly. Seems like they couldn't catch or throw the ball properly.

I'm hoping today end differently.
SachaS44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

CC Sabathia defying all odds for New York Yankees - Yankees Blog- ESPN
Quote:
CC Sabathia defying all odds for Yankees

NEW YORK -- If I had told you during spring training that 61 games into the regular season, the pitcher with the lowest ERA on the Yankees' starting staff would be CC Sabathia, you would have been surprised.

And if I had told you in April that by the middle of June, the pitcher with the lowest ERA in all of major league baseball since May 1 would also be CC Sabathia, you might have moved to have me committed or at least removed to an area where I could do no further damage with a computer keyboard.

But here we are, 10 weeks into the 2016 baseball season, and the best starting pitcher on the New York Yankees' staff is none other than Carsten Charles Sabathia.

That might not seem so outlandish if CC's previous two seasons had never taken place, if he hadn't spent so much time on the disabled list with a knee problem diagnosed as degenerative and basically incurable, if he had not started his offseason with a stay in an alcohol rehab center and if his 36th birthday were not looming barely a month away.

But all those things did happen, as did the slowing of his once-97 mph fastball to a very hittable 89 and the indignity of having to win a spot in the starting rotation in his 16th spring training with an AL Cy Young Award on his shelf and more than 200 big league wins on his résumé.

The combination of all those things makes Sabathia's excellence during the first half of 2016 all the more remarkable. Put it down to smarts, guile or simply the muscle memory embedded in a once-great left arm, it all adds up to the same thing. Suddenly, Sabathia is resurgent and so are the Yankees, who won their fifth straight game to go over the .500 mark for the first time since April 13 (when they were 4-3) behind his seven scoreless innings against the Detroit Tigers in Friday's 4-0 win at Yankee Stadium.

"I'm not amazed," said Brian McCann, who caught him. "When you've got that pedigree in you, the career and the statistics he has, it's not an accident."

"Just another brilliant outing by him," said Joe Girardi, one of the few who truly believed Sabathia would perform well this season, as evidenced by his choosing Sabathia over Ivan Nova, who had a superior spring, for the No. 5 starter's job.

"Feels good," said Sabathia, as low-key as ever. "You want to keep building, pitching better, and hopefully I can keep doing that."

The accolades came in from the opposing clubhouse, as well. Said Justin Upton, "You can't really count CC out. He's been a good pitcher for a really long time. He knows how to pitch."

Or at least, he has learned how to pitch, after years of being able simply to throw. That adjustment may have taken some time -- Sabathia clearly struggled with his new, diminished-velocity repertoire through most of 2014 and 2015 -- but he now seems to have mastered the use of pitches other than his fastball. Last time out, it was a nasty cutter that struck out the dangerous Mark Trumbo twice with the bases loaded in Baltimore. Friday, it was both the cutter and a changeup that neutralized Miguel Cabrera (0-for-4 including a crucial double play), Victor Martinez (1-for-3 with a strikeout) and Ian Kinsler (1-for-3 with a strikeout).

"I think it’s difficult because when you have 97 or 98 in the tank, you can rely on that when you’re struggling with your other stuff," Girardi said of Sabathia's conversion from thrower to pitcher. "But he understands who he is now."

Sabathia acknowledged the difficulty of transitioning from a power pitcher to a finesse pitcher, but attributed that difficulty mainly to the continuing pain in his right knee, which he maintains was alleviated by his reluctant willingness to use a knee brace beginning last September.

"I knew that, obviously every pitcher ages, and you lose your fastball velocity and all that stuff," he said. "It took awhile [to adjust] and it was health. I just wasn’t healthy enough to execute the pitches, so me being pain-free is a big difference."

Girardi agreed. "I think the knee brace allowed him to do [make the adjustment]. All of a sudden he could land correctly, and his changeup wasn't cutting, and he could spot his fastball better, which he has to because he doesn’t have the 97, 98 anymore."

But working with what he does have, Sabathia has put up some remarkable numbers. The win Friday night was his fourth of the season, a number he didn't reach last year until July 8. (He didn't even win his first until May 11, after five losses.) His ERA of 2.28 is the lowest of the Yankees' five starters, a half-run lower than that of the nominal ace, Masahiro Tanaka, more than two runs better than either Nova or Nathan Eovaldi, and a whopping four runs better than Michael Pineda, all of whom were considered much better prospects for the Yankees' rotation than Sabathia. And his WHIP of 1.21 is the second lowest among starters behind Tanaka's 0.994.

But the truly eye-popping stat is this: In Sabathia's six starts since May 4, his ERA is 0.71, the lowest of any starting pitcher in Major League Baseball. Lower even than three-time Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw's 0.81 during the same period.

Asked what that meant to him, Sabathia looked at his questioner as if he were, indeed, crazy. "Nothing," he deadpanned.

Nothing?

"What do you want me to do with that?" he said. "We’re in the middle of the season. I’ll be proud of it if I can keep it going."

If so, the Yankees will be more than proud. In all likelihood, they'll be something that also didn't seem possible coming out of spring training: Successful.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:08 AM
MST Manager

Belated thanks.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

i've always liked CC
GardenSirens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread