Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 08:44 PM
Elite Fan

NY Yankees #13 - ARod for President! Jeet for VP!

To the New York Yankees aka Bronx Bombers thread.

~Golden Rule~
Don't Bash The Yankees

Lots of changes in the Yankee Family. To keep yourself informed of everything that's happening always check with the Official Yankee Home.

Important:

-Contreras is gone.
-Loaiza is in.
-Giambi on 15 day DL

Lots of good wishes for Jason Giambi, may his health recover soon!

For anyone wondering how are Jeter and ARod getting along...

...the answer is great!

*I don't know who made this screencap but MUCH credit to you!

Last edited by ROCKSTAR; 08-02-2004 at 09:32 PM
Old 08-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Master Fan

heehee awesome job

Old 08-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks

I just thought we needed to have more life like before! If only I were better at doing this stuff!

We start a series against the A's tomorrow. Very excited about that
Old 08-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Banned

Nikki: Please post this pic in the first post. I it.

And can you add Derek Jeter for Vice? It's okay if you don't. Ignore me.. I'm just totally insane.

Jackie: I'm so excited for tomorrow's game. The first thing I heard Michael Kay said was: "And the Yankees win the game! Let's see if A-Rod picks up his buddy Derek Jeter (sees my man pick up yours).. and he does!" It's so cute!!!

I read some posts in the previous thread, and there's this poster called Uh Blah.. he/she sounded pretty mad at me for not knowing who Don Mattingly was.

I heard Olerud's gonna be a Yankee.. is it true?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Elite Fan

Aren't we all insane?

Yuki of course! as you wish...

Olerud is still a question mark I think. When I last checked he had not been signed.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Banned

Nikki: Where did you find that cap?
Jackie: This is for you and me!! Hope you like it.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Banned

Nikki, I'd post a pic of your guy, but I don't even know who. Sorry.. But I didn't forget you, okay? I didn't get to watch Alex steal home.. I wish I could, though. I hate myself for missing it!!

Jackie: Check your PM.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Elite Fan

I can't post it here because we're not allowed to link to other forums but it was at a Yankee forum

I can PM you the address to the site.

You guys GOTTA read this:

Quote:
Joe Sullivan:
Sox will never be the same
By JOE SULLIVAN
Union Leader Sports

BECAUSE IT’S special people who make places special, Fenway Park will never be the same, can never be as good.

Saturday, when the Boston Red Sox traded Nomar Garciaparra to the Chicago Cubs, things changed irrevocably on Yawkey Way.

At least for me.

More than anyone else in my lifetime, Nomar Garciaparra made Fenway Park special.

And now he’s about the business of making Chicago’s Wrigley Field special, more special than it has ever been. I envy Cubbies fans. They are in for a baseball treat because Nomar Garciaparra plays baseball like a one-man Gashouse Gang.

Not many 60-year-old fans have a favorite player, a guy they idolize. I was lucky because I was one of them.

I love Nomar for the way he plays the game. Hard. He runs to first the same way whether he tops a dribbler down the third-base line that smells base hit or rocks a hard one-hopper to the mound that reeks of pitcher-to-first easy out.

Has anyone on any team ever gone harder to first base every time he hit the ball? It’s a rhetorical question. The answer is no. Never. Nomar Garciaparra doesn’t know how to loaf, how to quit, how to back off. He was Pete Rose in a Red Sox uniform — minus the ego and gambling baggage.

I lived and died with every Nomar at-bat, every Nomar play in the field. When I used this space to call him the greatest Red Sox player of all time, fossils howled. They asked if I had ever heard of a guy named Ted Williams. They called me nasty names because calling anyone but The Kid the greatest of all time is Boston baseball blasphemy.

Well, they must have rejoiced Saturday. They don’t have to worry anymore. The Williams legacy is safe now that the Sox deep-sixed No. 5. No one will ever again call him what I called him.

Oh, how my friends crowed Sunday afternoon, comparing former Montreal Expo Orlando Cabrera’s first Red Sox at-bat to former Red Sox Nomar Garciaparra’s first Cubs’ at-bat. Cabrera drilled a home run; Garciaparra grounded into a double play.

My first thought? How appropriate. Cabrera jogged; Garciaparra hustled.

At the end of the two games, I bit my tongue, nixed a nasty retort, said nothing. But my mind was working.

My second thought? How prophetic. Cubs win; Sox lose.

And it’s only just begun.

Many times this column doesn’t live up to its title. Writing about extraordinary people, marvelous places, wonderful events, I don’t really get to Column Like I See ’em; I simply call ’em as they are.

Not this week. It’s just me. I didn’t consult a Web site or tap into a search engine to bombard you with statistics. This is from the heart.

Some people claim that divorce proceedings started when Nomar and agent rejected a $60 million offer from the Red Sox.

I think divorce proceedings began when the Sox tried to deal Garciaparra and acquire Alex Rodriguez.

For many, the question is would Nomar have opted to stay with the Sox at the end of this season? I don’t know. But more than anything, I wanted my team to try to sign our guy.

But now the divorce is final.

Trading Nomar is the biggest gaffe the team has made in my lifetime. Sox management said some interesting things about the trade that brought Cabrera and Minnesota first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz to Boston. The Nomar team couldn’t win a World Series. The Cabrera-Mientkiewicz team can. Yeah, right. Ticket prices are going to drop next year, too.

And somewhere along the line, I missed the Sox clinching a wild card spot.

General manager Theo Epstein, spinning things like a tire balancer, said, “I think we improved. Whether we improved significantly or not will be told by how we go out and play, and how deep into the postseason we go.”

Come again? The postseason? This Sox team won’t contend for the wild card spot.

I feel bad for Nomar and the way his career in Boston ended. I feel worse for the Sox fans who appreciated what he did and how he played every time he took the field.

But I feel worst for someone else. Me.

Because for the first time in my life, I have to say that I don’t care what happens to the Boston Red Sox.
-Source

Makes me realize the wounds in most of the Sox fans are deeper than I thought! At the MLB.com boards also a kid said he "lived and died" with every Nomar at bat. My God, I never realized...

It's like if Cashman had traded Jeter. But damn...
Old 08-02-2004, 09:46 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*Katherine_Behr*~
Nikki, I'd post a pic of your guy, but I don't even know who. Sorry.. But I didn't forget you, okay? I didn't get to watch Alex steal home.. I wish I could, though. I hate myself for missing it!!
Oh hon! I love them all! From Skippy (the ball boy) and the minor leaguers in our farm system to The Boss!

But I have to admit my "favorite" player has been Giambi... Since he signed there was something about him. I'm devastated he's not feeling well But now that his health is going to get better with the new treatment I think I can breathe easier now.

Wow, Contreras will make white sox debut tom!! I'm so nervous for him!! Man.. He could've been one of the Yankee great!

Sooo weird!

Last edited by ROCKSTAR; 08-02-2004 at 10:01 PM
Old 08-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Banned

Nikki, Thanks for posting what that guy wrote. I never realized the wounds were that deep either. It's so sad.. But you know, as I said before, Nomar was the only sane member of the Red Sox team. I miss him, but I watch him play in the Cubs. At least when I watch him play, I don't feel sorry for him and I can cheer for him.. cuz if I watch him play in his previous team.. ugh!! I don't even wanna talk about it.

Cashman trading Jeter..Why if I ever hear him do that I will fly all the way to New York and kill him!! But I know he can't do that!!

Skippy Michael Kay always says something about Skippy. He's funny..
Old 08-02-2004, 10:04 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Nikki, Thanks for posting what that guy wrote. I never realized the wounds were that deep either. It's so sad.. But you know, as I said before, Nomar was the only sane member of the Red Sox team. I miss him, but I watch him play in the Cubs. At least when I watch him play, I don't feel sorry for him and I can cheer for him.. cuz if I watch him play in his previous team.. ugh!! I don't even wanna talk about it.

Cashman trading Jeter..Why if I ever hear him do that I will fly all the way to New York and kill him!! But I know he can't do that!!

Skippy Michael Kay always says something about Skippy. He's funny..
No problem...

I bet Jeter has a no trade clause but only the thought is wildly upsetting... Wow.

Skippy rocks! I love when he misses a foul I love Michael Kay although almost everyone hates him He's so jolly.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:35 PM
Elite Fan

Jorge had his First Annual Heroes for Hope Gala and Benefit on August 1st.

Donnie, Joe, Bern, Tony, Cairo, Jeet, Willie, Mo, Sojo & Coney and others were there

Donnie looks like a male model! lol!

Old 08-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Banned

Wow!! The Yankees lookin' gooood!! Can someone please post a nice cute picture of Jorge Junior? I just love that kid.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:

Derek "Another sloppy kiss before we start?"
Alexa "Yes, but wait for the cameras to turn away"

Quote:
Originally posted by ROCKSTAR

It's not gay!
A little gay.

And having such facial hair rules removes the individual expression of the uh individuals. I wouldn't want my Johnny, Pete and Manchild any other way.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:51 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
there's this poster called Uh Blah.. he/she sounded pretty mad at me for not knowing who Don Mattingly was.
That would be me & FYI I am a guy. Sorry if I came off a bit harsh. I should have realized you girls are probably too young to remember the 80s. It's also clear that you probably know more about the players favorite snack food, who they're dating & of course where they get their clothes, than you do their on field statistics. I'm really not this mean in real life I swear. I just hate the Yankees.

On Nomar I've already said my peace over at the Milineum Falcon aka the Red Sox thread:
http://www.fanforum.com/forums/showt...threadid=19211

It's funny to hear you all sing praise to Nomar now that he's no longer a member of the Sox. I highly doubt u were making similar comparisons to Jeter on that July 1st extra inning game. I admit on paper the deal was unbalanced in favor of the Cubs. But u have to remember that Nomar was not coming back next year & that he told the trainers he'd likely need more time off to heal his achilles. Knowing that the Sox GM Theo Epstein(who u ladies would probably drool over) had to make a decision. Do I stay put & keep a guy that at best may play 6 out of the last 8 weeks of the season? Or do I try to significantly improve the leagues worst defense? It's almost a no brainer if u ask me.

Last edited by Uh Blah; 08-03-2004 at 07:15 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread