Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2011, 07:39 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Major League Soccer Thread #1: Because they are greening the game!

Welcome to the thread everyone! The thread title of course refers to environmental awareness week, which just started. I am so excited about this season. I saw a large amount of the Timbers/Fire game yesterday on ESPN 2. It was a great atmosphere & was very impressed with the attendance at Jeld-Wen Field, because the weather hasn't been very good lately.

I'll get a support list started soon & some more pics put up. What's your favorite MLS team?
canflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:24 PM
MST Manager

Thanks for starting this new thread here at Sports.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:13 PM

You're welcome. Do you have a favorite MLS team?
Old 04-18-2011, 01:44 AM
Elite Fan

Saw the Red Bulls game vs. the Earthquakes on Saturday. Luke Rodgers looked dangerous out there, scoring two goals and making a brilliant cross that resulted in a Henry header in the 85th minute. It looks like NYRB have their starter at forward. Before that I saw the Timbers game. That was something else! Timbers Army is raising the bar even higher in terms of fanatical support. I rank them at #1 or #2, with the Sounders, Union, RSL and old standouts like DC United.

Then saw the Galaxy go up 0-2 on the Fire before the Fire made the game very interesting towards the end.

Movietime Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:52 PM

Yeah. The Fire have struggled early on. Timbers were fortunate to win yesterday's match, though they lead during most of it. Which is your team?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Elite Fan

For the time being, I'm going with the Red Bulls. I could not get into MetroStars because their ownership kept pushing people away with their inept management and tight-fistedness. It took Red Bull and their willingness to invest to build a proper footy ground to save soccer in this city. If the Cosmos somehow come back and build a stadium in Queens then I'll check them out.

MLS is so much more fun than before. Yes, the quality is not up there with the elites in UEFA but the entertainment is much better. These days it's as if it is now OK to like the local soccer scene. I really can't get into teams that I have no geographic/cultural connection to. Yeah, I'll watch the Champions League because it's good entertainment but I keep supporting the local team.

I check out the match highlights and The Daily on their website. Are you going to watch the RSL CCL match on Wednesday?

Old 04-18-2011, 10:16 PM

I will try. What channel is it on?

Last edited by canflam; 04-19-2011 at 01:04 PM
Old 04-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Elite Fan

It'll be on the Fox Soccer Channel, or FSC.

I'm watching a lot of good players this season. In particular, Luke Rodgers, Donovan, Henry, Omar Cummings, Dane Richards, Charlie Davies, Chris Wondolowski, Perlaza, Wallace, Pappa, Omar Bravo, Teal Bunbury, Juan Agudelo and Steve Zakuani.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 PM

OK. Thanks. That is great that RSL tied Monterray, though they lose Kyle Beckerman.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:09 AM
Elite Fan

This is the first time in my life that I saw a team not be intimidated by going to Mexico for a match. Well, the Red Bulls in a friendly match against (real) Chivas before the season but that didn't count.

Oh, and great performance by the Red Bulls last night!

Old 04-30-2011, 09:39 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. The Timers just won vs. Real Salt Lake at Jeld-Wen Field! I saw a large amount of the match. Kenny Cooper scored the only goal in the 22nd minute of the 1st Half. Very excited after a frustrating loss the the Galaxy last week.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Elite Fan

Great game over the weekend between the Red Bulls and Sporting Kansas City over last weekend. Action was intense right to the final whistle.

I've just learned that Fox Sports is going to unveil Soccer Night in America with the game between the Timbers and the Union. They've put out the theme, along with a new theme for Fox Soccer.

Check it out: Videos Posted by Fox Soccer: Soccer Night in America [HQ] | Facebook

Let me know what you think.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 PM

Thanks for link. Haven't seen the Union play yet. Have you? They've only given up 2 goals in 6 matches which worries me, but Real Salt Lake only gave up 1 before last weekend.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Elite Fan

I saw them when the Red Bulls played them at PPL Park. They are a worker-type team, with an improved defense. In that game, NYRB had the advantage of the possession but gave up the goal late in the game on a turnover from Tim Ream.

The Union won away at Houston on the first game of the season and the Dynamo tied the Red Bulls in Harrison. That should tell you how solid the Union is right now.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:14 PM

Well they were impressive to me vs. the Timbers today, but just couldn't score as Futty got the only goal of the match. Union haven't scored more than 1 goal in any of their matches so far this year. Interested to see when that stat will change. Excited about our winning steak against 2 solid teams & our chance for win #1 on the road vs. Seattle Sounders FC.
Reply   Post New Thread