Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo Save Meღ (View Post)
I recall Jess mentioning the sal is her weak spot (we knew that) and that she finds it really hard and that she even finds the triple lutz easier to do. We've seen some beautiful 3sals from her over the years, so I can only imagine how great her lutz would look like. I guess what it comes down to is if Bryce can do it. He's always come across as a great jumper to me but well, I don't know him. But if he can do it, a 3lutz may not be such a crazy idea, and give them a better score too!
Really? She does the throw lutz but the lutz on its own is the hardest jump other than the 3axel. her sal has to be more consistent than that.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Canada (View Post)
I do not like the sound of that. I really hope its nothing serious. But I guess that explains a lot about the lifts they did that day. They better not withdraw from SC!
Oh boy, I certainly hope it doesn’t come to that! I can’t see them competing here if there was a chance it might jeopardise the GP season. With her history of injuries, I’m sure their medical team and the future Dr. Davison keep a close eye on her. Whatever she’s wearing is white, and it actually looks like it might be on both wrists, so I’m wondering if maybe she had them wrapped with athletic tape for support?

*delilah* if you’re still out there, do you remember if it looked like Jess was wearing something on her wrists? Did Bryce seem concerned at all?

They talk about their jumps in this article: Dynamic Duo Jessica Dub� and Bryce Davison - Figure Skating News

Bryce
Quote:
I have all the triples, but my flip is pretty ugly. And I don't have a triple Axel.
Jess
Quote:
Dubé includes a triple Lutz-double toe, a double Axel-double toe, and a triple flip-double toe in her programs, but no triple-triple combinations. "The triple toe is my worst jump," she confessed.
Idk, as much as I’d like to believe it, I just can’t see Jess doing a triple-toe triple-toe combination. Bryce maybe, Jess no way. They were working on the lutz in practice at Skate Canada though and she did a couple of really nice ones. I think I remember reading somewhere too that the lutz is her favourite jump. It has a really distinct feel to it, and you get a lot of pop from the counterrotation on the take off, so for some people it is easier than the toe.

I wonder if Skate Canada is still going to have a High Performance camp next month? If so, maybe we’ll get some more details about the changes they’re making to the TWWW. Skate Canada seems like such a long way off! (Val - see my sig for the date)
Old 08-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Loyal Fan

Its actually the other way around. SC is on Oct 29-31 and CoR is Nov19-21. Way too far away. I think youtube will blow up on me if I keep watching their vids over and over again.
I can't see them do the triple-toe triple-toe combo. Hopefully they will play around with some things and adjust a few tricks to suit them and push them. I really don't want another plateau year.
Having said that, I really like the death-spiral entrance for the SP.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:37 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueEyes (View Post)
They were working on the lutz in practice at Skate Canada though and she did a couple of really nice ones. I think I remember reading somewhere too that the lutz is her favourite jump. It has a really distinct feel to it, and you get a lot of pop from the counterrotation on the take off, so for some people it is easier than the toe.
Yes I remember that actually! Jess landed a couple (but missed a lot as well), Bryce couldn't land any. I hope she lands her sal more consistently than she was landing the lutz then, otherwise I would be worried lol. I know she can do the lutz, because practicing the throw lutz so often must help her a bit. I just don't think it would be smart to add it. Bryce would need a lot of work. And they just need to focus on being able to skate clean at this point. That's their main problem.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Part-Time Fan

ITA, skating clean this season has to be their # 1 priority. Unless one of these other jumps is practically 100% in practice (which I doubt), it would be foolish to put either of them in a program right now. Best to keep working on them in practice with an eye to including them somewhere down the road. There’s lots of other stuff they can work on. What I’d love to see them do this season is focus on creating programs that are more intricate and creative. I think we’re seeing a little of that in the new SP, for example with the cool entrances into the lift (which I ) and the death spiral. And that’s what having an actual pairs coach is going to help them with. I’m totally looking forward to seeing this program with a few more miles on it on, and also wearing their new outfits!
Old 08-13-2010, 02:46 AM
Elite Fan

I just hope that Jess can gain confidence again & that they'll be consistent so they/we never have to go through this again...

ETA: I was watching the Cutting Edge: Chasing The Dream yesterday. Did you guys know that Valerie Marcoux, Mylene Brodeur and John Mattatal were skating doubles?

Last edited by silversparkle; 08-13-2010 at 04:01 AM
Old 08-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo Save Meღ (View Post)
I just hope that Jess can gain confidence again & that they'll be consistent so they/we never have to go through this again...

ETA: I was watching the Cutting Edge: Chasing The Dream yesterday. Did you guys know that Valerie Marcoux, Mylene Brodeur and John Mattatal were skating doubles?
((Jess)) If I never see another photo like this ^ of her again, it will be too soon. There will be nothing better for her confidence than skating clean at a couple of competitions. Despite whatever was going on with her wrist, she was looked like she was skating so freely at the championnats québécois d'été. Love the positive GOE’s they got for the jumps, especially that big throw loop. I think we’re going to see them really start to blossom this year.

I didn’t know that about our pairs being the skating doubles! Very . I’ll have to rent the movie, although I heard it’s not very good. J&B’s new coach Doug and his partner Christine were in the first Cutting Edge movie. They played the evil Russian team. Speaking of Doug, he’s doing some coaching at the Battle of the Blades boot camp. For the non-Canadians here, this is a TV show sort of like Dancing With The Stars, only pairing up retired hockey players with female figure skaters: Battle of the Blades. You can see him just briefly in the two newest video clips (not sure if they’re geoblocked or not).
Old 08-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Part-Time Fan

Old 08-15-2010, 12:39 AM
Loyal Fan

Only 75 days to SC!
I discovered Battle of the Blades earlier this year and I loved it. It is such a brilliant format! I wish we had something like that here.

I have seen both of the sequels to The Cutting Edge but I have never seen the original. I have looked everywhere possible but I may have to order it from overseas! If I had of known they were the skating doubles I may have actually not been bored to death in them
Old 08-15-2010, 02:56 AM
Elite Fan

I saw all four of them -yes, there's 4 of them by now - and thought the third one was the best. It's no Oscar winning material but it's worth watching if you are willing to face the many mistakes against figure skating reality.

That said, I totally prefer watching an actual competition, but since we have to wait almost another 3 months for that...
Old 08-15-2010, 04:28 AM
Loyal Fan

IA. I love watching actual comps.
I didn't even know there was a fourth!! The guy in the 3rd was my favourtie! So Hot!!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 06:20 AM
Master Fan

I can't watch Battle of the Blades. Maybe because I have such a trained eye for figure skating, whenever I watch Battle I always have this urge to yell at them to point their toes, get some more speed, etc. I'd rather watch good figure skating lol
Old 08-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I can't watch Battle of the Blades. Maybe because I have such a trained eye for figure skating, whenever I watch Battle I always have this urge to yell at them to point their toes, get some more speed, etc. I'd rather watch good figure skating lol
haha I totally understand. Its the same with me and dancing. I can't watch much of Dancing with the Stars because I get angry at technique and timing. Although I must admit some celebrities are actually quite good.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I like the show. It was quite touching how seriously the guys took it, and how much respect they had for the girls and the sport. But I know what you mean about finding it hard to watch. You really have to adjust your idea of what “figure skating” means. Did you catch any of Thornhill this weekend? Wow, Brittany & Kurtis look fabulous!!!! Going to Lee Barkell has been great for them.

If anyone is really desperate to watch a skating competition, Skatebuzz is live streaming a couple of summer competitions. One was this weekend from a competition in Ontario, the other will be next weekend from British Columbia. There were people from outside of Canada in the chat session, so I’m guessing that it’s not geoblocked. Here’s the link: Skatebuzz Presents Skate TV You do have to register to watch.

ETA: Wandered into the V&M thread while waiting for my cake to bake (have they actually announced their music? ) and stole this:

I have to say how much I like Bryce’s shirt. The white cuffs & collar band are really sharp. He’s learning!

Last edited by BigBlueEyes; 08-15-2010 at 08:11 PM
Old 08-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Loyal Fan

V&M haven't announced their music yet, only that they will be doing a 'Latin' FD.
Thank you for the SkateBuzz link. I will definitely be venturing over there more often!

I love Jess' dress. It looks really good on her!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread