Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 05:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

I love the new thread title! It will be so cool if 2013 puts an end to the long wait. It's been 35 years ...

I used to follow racing more closely than I have this year, tho not for betting (illegal in my state). I just adore horses. Actually, my namesake, Lutess, is a horse.

New! Benedict Cumberbatch Forum

~Sherry | avi by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Lutesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

If anyone's interested, here's the TV (NBC/NBC Sports) schedule for the second leg of the Triple Crown, the Preakness Stakes at Pimlico:

Fri. May 17
3-4 p.m. Preakness Classics, NBC Sports Network
4-5 p.m. Black Eyed Susan Stakes, NBC Sports Network

Sat. May 18
2:30-4:30 p.m. Preakness Stakes Saturday, NBC Sports Network
4:30-6:30 p.m. Preakness Stakes, NBC
6:30-7 p.m. Preakness Post-Race Show, NBC Sports Network

Read more on BloodHorse.com: NBC Plans 6 1/2 Hours of Preakness Coverage | BloodHorse.com

Old 05-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

The $1,000,000 Preakness Stakes today was won by Oxbow, owned by Calumet Farm, trained by D. Wayne Lukas (his 6th Preakness victory) and ridden by Gary Stevens (3rd Preakness win).

Gary's story is interesting. He's 50 years old and had retired as a jockey about 7 years ago. He was a terrific race commentator/analyst for several racing channels since then, but he missed riding so much that he whipped himself back into shape and came out of retirement early this year. It's an amazing achievement that he is already riding at top levels again after being out of the saddle for so long.

I have to say that I hoped Rosie Napravnik would win the race on My Lute if Orb couldn't do it. (Orb won the Kentucky Derby 2 weeks ago - we must always hope for a chance at the Triple Crown!) Rosie is 25 and started her jockey career at Pimlico when she was just a Junior in high school. I've followed her for a long time and always cheer for her. She is almost magical with horses, always seems to bring out the best in them. She did bring in My Lute for Show money (3rd place), and that's still pretty good.

Next up: the Belmont Stakes in New York 3 weeks from today.
At 1 1/2 miles, it is the longest of the 3 "TC" races. Obviously, there's no Crown on the line this year, but the Belmont has always been my favorite. Very few races in America are run at that distance anymore, so it's considered a rare test of endurance. Belmont winners often become top sires in their subsequent breeding careers.

I'll post again in a week or so when I have the Belmont TV schedule and details.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

I caught the Preakness Stakes earlier today and Gary Stevens did an outstanding job on Oxbow. He really showed his experience by being patient early on and then making his move on the next to last turn.

As for Orb, I had a feeling that he wouldn't win. When I saw that he drew the 1 position, I knew that he would have a very hard time in the race, which came true as he got lost in the shuffle and faded in the last stretch.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod (View Post)
I caught the Preakness Stakes earlier today and Gary Stevens did an outstanding job on Oxbow. He really showed his experience by being patient early on and then making his move on the next to last turn.

As for Orb, I had a feeling that he wouldn't win. When I saw that he drew the 1 position, I knew that he would have a very hard time in the race, which came true as he got lost in the shuffle and faded in the last stretch.
In a post-race interview, Rosie Napravnik said she was planning to follow Orb on the inside for a while but the footing by the rail was too deep and tiring. She was able to get My Lute to the outside fairly quickly, but I guess Orb was trapped there just a little too long. Rosario said he just sort of stopped running around the half.

Hey, thanks for the comment!

Old 05-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

BELMONT ON NBC SPORTS, JUNE 8: NBC Sports Group will present 6½ hours of coverage of the Belmont Stakes from Belmont Race Track in Elmont, N.Y.
Coverage begins Friday, June 7 at 4 p.m. ET and continues with the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, June 8.

Date/ Time-------Event---------Network
Fri., June 7 4 p.m. Belmont Classics NBCSN
5 p.m. Live From Belmont NBCSN

Sat., June 8 3 p.m. Belmont Saturday NBCSN
5 p.m. Belmont Stakes NBC
7 p.m. Belmont Post-Race Show NBCSN

@

Old 06-06-2013, 05:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Belmont Stakes - Saturday, June 8, 2013
Post Time: 6:36 PM EDT on NBC (TV schedule above)

Image-Coglianese Photos

$1,000,000 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), 3YOs, 1 1/2 miles (dirt)

Post...Horse......... Jockey ............Trainer

1 Frac Daddy Alan Garcia Ken McPeek

2 Freedom Child Luis Saez Tom Albertrani

3 Overanalyze John Velazquez Todd Pletcher

4 Giant Finish Edgar Prado Anthony Dutrow

5 Orb* Joel Rosario Shug McGaughey

6 Incognito Irad Ortiz, Jr. Kiaran McLaughlin

7 Oxbow** Gary Stevens D. Wayne Lukas

8 Midnight Taboo Garrett Gomez Todd Pletcher

9 Revolutionary Javier Castellano Todd Pletcher

10 Will Take Charge Jon Court D. Wayne Lukas

11 Vyjack Julien Leparoux Rudy Rodriguez

12 Palace Malice Mike Smith Todd Pletcher

13 Unlimited Budget*** Rosie Napravnik Todd Pletcher

14 Golden Soul Robby Albarado Dallas Stewart

*Orb - winner of Kentucky Derby
**Oxbow - winner of Preakness
***Unlimited Budget - Filly

Read more on BloodHorse.com: Orb Draws Post 5 as Belmont Favorite at 3-1 | BloodHorse.com

Old 06-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

145th Belmont Stakes
Order of Finish

Finish-Post Horse
1 12 Palace Malice (blinkers off did the trick!)
2 7 Oxbow
3 5 Orb
4 6 Incognito
5 9 Revolutionary
6 13 Unlimited Budget
7 3 Overanalyze
8 11 Vyjack
9 14 Golden Soul
10 10 Will Take Charge
11 4 Giant Finish
12 8 Midnight Taboo
13 2 Freedom Child
14 1 Frac Daddy

Once again, three different horses won the 3 "Triple Crown" races. But there's always next year!!

Old 06-30-2013, 07:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Wise Dan repeats in the G2 Firecracker Handicap despite a very stormy night at Churchill Downs, marking the 7th straight win for the 2012 Eclipse Older Horse, Turf Horse and Horse of the Year ....

Quote:
DRF.com - Churchill Downs: Wise Dan squeezes past rival to win Firecracker 06/29/2013

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Many of the victories for Wise Dan during his storybook career have been things of beauty.

Not this one.

“It wasn’t a very pretty race,” said a relieved (trainer) Charlie LoPresti after Wise Dan, the 2012 Horse of the Year, managed to overcome a tough trip, soggy turf, and his 128-pound impost Saturday night in winning the 23rd running of the Grade 2, $168,450 Firecracker Handicap at Churchill Downs. “It wasn’t very pretty at all.”

On a stormy night marked by huge downpours and lightning strikes, Wise Dan and jockey John Velazquez emerged the winners by two lengths after the 6-year-old gelding finally extricated himself from traffic and quickly spurted clear in the final furlong of the one-mile turf race.

Wise Dan was spotting his rivals 11 to 15 pounds while winning for the seventh straight time and the 10th in his last 11 races. Bred and owned by Morton Fink, the gelding has won 16 of 23 overall, with the Firecracker earnings of $104,439 giving him a bankroll of $4,164,070.

(more)
source: DRF.com (video of the race at link)

Old 07-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yesterday, Game on Dude won the $500,000 Hollywood Gold Cup for the second time, under 127 pounds and with Mike Smith aboard. The 'Dude has now won over $5 million and, as a 6-yr old gelding, will probably keep going for a couple more years. He's been a powerhouse.

Sadly, this will have been the final edition of the Gold Cup because Hollywood Park, which opened in 1938, is closing later this year. It will be developed into - you guessed it - a planned community of condominiums and shopping malls. All horses currently stabled at Hollywood's backside will have to be moved out before December. It's a huge loss to the sport of horseracing and those who love it in the U.S.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ource=BHonline

Old 07-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

Big excitement in the world of horse racing as we prepare for the Saratoga Meet which begins next Friday in upstate New York. From July 19th through Sept. 2nd, some of the most important races of the year will be run at "The Spa" : The Coaching Club American Oaks, considered part of the Filly Triple Crown (for 3yo fillies); the $600k Diana (f/m 3+) and Jim Dandy stakes; the $750k Whitney Invitational; the Alabama, Sword Dancer and Woodford Reserve stakes; the Aug. 24th $1 million Travers (aka the "Midsummer Derby") for 3yos and $500k King's Bishop; the Personal Ensign; the $750k Woodward and the Forego; and, on Sept. 2nd, culminating with the important Three Chimneys Hopeful for 2 year olds, many of whom will be running for the roses as next May's 3 year olds ...

These are just a few of the Saratoga races that many horses have been training for through the spring and early summer; and these races carry a cachet of favoritism for the winners and top performers into the November Breeders' Cup series. If I could attend any one Meet in the course of a year, Saratoga would be IT.

But don't forget the highlight of the Monmouth Park (NJ) meet on July 28th: the $1 million Haskell Invitational. Oxbow, winner of the Preakness, is the sole TC winner targeting that race and the distance should be a 'breeze' for him!

Last edited by Lutesse; 07-13-2013 at 04:27 PM
Old 07-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Here's the Gate for this Saturday's (7/27) Jim Dandy race at Saratoga. This is a big prep race for 3-year olds, many on their way to the August 24th million-dollar "midsummer derby," the Travers Stakes; but it's also a great race to have on a future stallion's resume':

$600,000 Jim Dandy Stakes (gr. II, Race 10, approximate post 5:45 p.m. EDT), 3YOs, 1 1/8 miles (dirt)

PP, Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer, Odds

1. Bashaar (KY), J. Castellano, 117, D C Peitz, 15-1
2. Code West (VA), J. Rosario, 119, B Baffert, 6-1
3. Will Take Charge (KY), J. Alvarado, 121, D W Lukas, 12-1
4. Moreno (KY), J.L. Ortiz, 121, E J Guillot, 10-1
5.*Palace Malice (KY), M.E. Smith, 123, T A Pletcher, 5-2
6. Perfect Title (KY), S. Bridgmohan, 117, D Stewart, 20-1
7. Freedom Child (KY), L. Saez, 121, T Albertrani, 4-1
8. Mylute (KY), R. Napravnik, 117, T M Amoss, 7-2
9. Looking Cool (KY), E.S. Prado, 119, C A Nafzger, 15-1
10. Vyjack (KY), J.R. Velazquez, 121, R R Rodriguez, 12-1 - scratch - see Haskell

*Palace Malice - Belmont Winner

Read more on BloodHorse.com: Palace Malice Tops Jim Dandy Field | BloodHorse.com

Last edited by Lutesse; 07-28-2013 at 09:02 AM
Old 07-26-2013, 06:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

$1 million William Hill Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park, NJ
July 28 (gr. I, Race 13, approximate post time 6:20 p.m. EDT), 3YOs, 1 1/8 miles (dirt)

1.Vyjack (KY), Paco Lopez, 118, R R Rodriguez, 12-1
2. Pick of the Litter (KY), 118, J. Castanon, D Romans, 15-1
3. Golden Soul (KY), 118, R. Albarado, D Stewart, 8-1
4. Power Broker (KY), 118, R Napravnik, B Baffert, 3-1
5.*Oxbow (KY), G.L. Stevens, 122, D W Lukas, 2-1
6. Micromanage (KY), J. Bravo, 118, T A Pletcher, 6-1
7. Verrazano (KY), J.R. Velazquez, 120, T A Pletcher, 9-5

*Oxbow - Preakness winner

Read more on BloodHorse.com: Oxbow Draws Post 5, Second Choice in Haskell

It's a big weekend of horse racing at Saratoga and Monmouth, with a couple of important stakes also to be run at Del-Mar (San Diego). I'll be back Monday with your much-anticipated results!

Last edited by Lutesse; 07-26-2013 at 07:01 AM
Old 07-29-2013, 06:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Much as expected, Belmont winner Palace Malice comfortably took the $600,000 Jim Dandy on Saturday at Saratoga, with Will Take Charge and Moreno completing the order of finish.
The big Spa race of the day for filliles & mares was the $600,000 Diana, won by the lovely Irish-bred mare, Laughing. Don't you just love her name?

Sunday at Monmouth, the Haskell was won by Verrazano, with Power Broker 2nd and Micromanage for the show. Oxbow, the Preakness winner, finished a poor 4th.
On the Haskell undercard, the Gr II Molly Pitcher was taken by 7+ lengths by Joyful Victory with her regular rider, Rosie Napravnik, up. It's good to see this filly return so strong after a disappointing race at Belmont in May.

The racing at Monmouth was marred by a serious injury to Take Charge Indy, who was the favorite in the Monmouth Cup. It was his good fortune to be ridden by HoF jockey Gary Stevens, who pulled him up before life-threatening injury was sustained. A fracture to his foreleg will end his outstanding race career; but his career as a top stallion - a grandson of the great Seattle Slew - had already been arranged. Wishing him a speedy recovery!

Also of note: Elusive Kate was victorious for the second year in the Prix Rothschild (Fr-1) at Deauville; and Nikki's Smartypants won the prestigious Royal North S. (Can-III) at Woodbine.
A surprising winner of the Bing Crosby (Gr 1) at Del Mar was Points Offthebench, running in graded stakes company for the first time.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

This coming Saturday, August 3rd, the Whitney Invitational will be run at Saratoga. The Whitney is one of the most important races of the year for horses 3 and up. The favorite will understandably be Fort Larned, winner of last year's Breeders Cup Classic at Santa Anita and Horse of the Year contender; but there are several exceptional runners in the field.

$750,000 Whitney Invitational Handicap (gr. I, approximate post time 5:45 p.m. EDT), 3YOs & Up, 1 1/8 miles (dirt)

****Note: The Whitney will be shown live on a one-hour telecast on NBC Sports from 5-6 p.m. ET.****

Here's the gate:

1. Successful Dan, J. Leparoux, 118, C LoPresti, 12-1
2. Mucho Macho Man, E. Prado, 119, K Ritvo, 6-1
3. Fort Larned, B.J. Hernandez, 122, I Wilkes, 7-5
4. Cross Traffic, J.R. Velazquez, 117, T A Pletcher, 5-2
5. Ron the Greek, J. Lezcano, 118, W I Mott, 6-1
6. Alpha, J. Rosario, 115, K P McLaughlin, 10-1
7. Csaba, L. Saez, 114, P Gleaves, 20-1
8. Fast Falcon, J. Alvarado, 114, N P Zito, 15-1

In addition, the $400,000 Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap will be run at the Spa on Sunday, Aug. 4. At 6-furlongs for horses 3 and up, it is one of the most prestigious sprints of the year.

The weekend highlight at Del Mar will be the $300,000 Clement L. Hirsch Stakes (gr. I, Race 8, 5:40 p.m.), for Fillies & Mares 3 & Up, 1 1/16 Miles (All Weather track). This race was won by the great Zenyatta for 3 consecutive years 2008/09/10.

Read more: Fort Larned Draws Post 3 for Whitney Defense | BloodHorse.com

Last edited by Lutesse; 08-01-2013 at 09:23 AM
Reply   Post New Thread