Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Moderator Manager

I really missed it. I'm glad to be watching it again.

Regarding KERS, I heard not all teams use it but if it uses additional power on the car, then why isn't everyone using it?

I need to read up and orient myself back into F1 - a year of not watching kept me so out of the loop. I used to know all the drivers of each team and now I'm so unfamiliar with them. I didn't know there's Virgin Racing! Is this the same owner as Virgin Records? Richard Branson?

Oh yes, I'm happy for Petrov - first F1 podium. No wonder Vettel & Hamilton are happy for him as well. Do you think Vettel will keep up his winning streak this year? If so, who will be his challengers?

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I heard not all teams use it but if it uses additional power on the car, then why isn't everyone using it?
Because some teams haven't got it working well enough so not only are there reliability issues but if it's not very effective it's not really worth using.

Quote:
I didn't know there's Virgin Racing! Is this the same owner as Virgin Records? Richard Branson?
That's right. Bernie thought it would be a good idea to introduce three new teams for the previous year, only it took quite a while for them to decide on three, and there was meant to be an American team but that all fell through. The three new teams were Lotus, Hispania and Virgin. The most successful out of the three was Lotus last year but none of them managed to get in the points, they were all quite lacking in pace and had a lot of reliability issues. I think Bernie may want to get rid of Hispania, not only did they fail to even qualify for the race but they seem to have a lot of problems, last year they were constantly changing their drivers around, not based on ability but purely on who brought in the money. It's not a good sign.

Quote:
Do you think Vettel will keep up his winning streak this year. If so, who will be his challengers?
I think Vettel is going to prove very difficult to beat, I'd really like Jenson and Lewis to be up there again and challenging, the fact that McLaren have turned their car around in the space of two weeks is incredible so I'd like to think they would be able to put up a good fight. I'm sure Alonso will be in the mix again this year too. I'm not sure about Webber, I know he is a good driver but I find it strange how he was so far off Vettel's pace in qualifying and yet they are driving the same car, I guess time will tell and he maybe he'll be back to fighting Vettel come the next race.

Vicky
Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucas4life (View Post)
Because some teams haven't got it working well enough so not only are there reliability issues but if it's not very effective it's not really worth using.
I see, so that's why it's optional.

Quote:
I think Bernie may want to get rid of Hispania, not only did they fail to even qualify for the race but they seem to have a lot of problems, last year they were constantly changing their drivers around, not based on ability but purely on who brought in the money. It's not a good sign.
There will always be that one team that is underperforming. Do we still have the same number of teams as always? Maybe that's why they're still around because there is no replacement team yet.

Quote:
I think Vettel is going to prove very difficult to beat, I'd really like Jenson and Lewis to be up there again and challenging, the fact that McLaren have turned their car around in the space of two weeks is incredible so I'd like to think they would be able to put up a good fight. I'm sure Alonso will be in the mix again this year too. I'm not sure about Webber, I know he is a good driver but I find it strange how he was so far off Vettel's pace in qualifying and yet they are driving the same car, I guess time will tell and he maybe he'll be back to fighting Vettel come the next race.
Vettel seems to be strong and Webber is always just behind him. Hopefully that can change soon and I want to see more podiums for Mark. Yes, I'm pretty sure Alonso will be in the mix too, he's a good driver. I'm kind of hoping Nick will do good as well. He's a veteran and he's in Lotus but then again, Lotus isn't the strong constructor out there (compared to Ferrari, Mercedes & Red Bull teams). Though the Petrov win makes me think otherwise. Too bad about the Mercedes team this past weekend. Hopefully they can turn the car around for Sepang 2 weeks from now. I want them to have podiums as well.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Do we still have the same number of teams as always? Maybe that's why they're still around because there is no replacement team yet.
Well in 2009 there were 10 teams, then Toyota left, and three new teams were introduced so now we have 12 teams and 24 drivers. Bernie has even said he now thinks there are too many, so if Hispania keep failing to make the cut I can see them being given the push as it's not like they are needed to make up the numbers.

Vicky
Old 04-04-2011, 02:32 AM
Moderator Manager

It has always been 12 teams (or 11 in previous years) so I don't think it's too many and just enough to fit everyone on-track. If Hispania fails to make the cut, then 11 teams are fine and besides, F1 is expensive and sponsors wouldn't want to do business with teams that are not "doing good."

F1 weekend again! Interesting track too, Sepang. Lots of turns and fast corners. Very hot & humid too. Whoever makes pole probably will win the race too.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Loyal Fan

Petrov should have been penalized... even he made a move against his own partner... Poor Michael he should have been on top10 not in 12th...
Old 05-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Elite Fan

Who is looking forward to Monaco? I think we are likely to see our first safety car of the year there.

I loved the Spanish GP and I don't think I've ever said that I still can't get over Alonso's start, it took me completely by surprise I loved that we actually had a challenge for first, it's never fun to watch one car disappear into the distance, and being a McLaren fan I was so pleased that it was Lewis who was the one challenging and pushing Vettel as much as he could. I only hope Monaco will be as close.

Vicky
Old 05-29-2011, 04:14 AM
Moderator Manager

Monaco is my favorite track! Not only is there a tunnel but there are many sharp turns and it's a street track. Overtaking is hard as well so strategy will definitely come into play.

Also good to know that Checo is alright after that terrible crash yesterday. It was troubling to see everyone looking at their monitors and that sheet covering him up so no one can see.

I loved the Spanish GP last week! Alonso's amazing start and then Lewis chasing Seb using KERS & DRS was brilliant & exciting!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:35 AM
Elite Fan

Did you see the British GP?

I thought it was a brilliant race, obviously being British I wanted to see Lewis and/or Jenson on that podium but it just wasn't meant to be, there were some brilliant moments and I loved Lewis and Massa's race to the finish line. It's a shame Red Bull tried to stop us from enjoying the same thing from the Red Bull drivers.

About the team orders, I know they are now allowed and I can see where Red Bull were coming from but can't the FIA see how awful they are for the sport? It's not racing! As a spectator I find it incredibly frustrating and I can totally understand Webber's frustration. I'm still a firm believer that they shouldn't have changed the rule back to allowing team orders. Vettel is so far ahead in the championship, as Webber pointed out, it's not like they needed Vettel ahead of Webber for points, no one is even close, and seeing as we are only at the half way point it seems terribly unfair to make one driver settle for third when they know they need the points if they are to get anywhere near Vettel and yet protect the driver who is so far ahead. I don't understand it and I don't like watching it.

I'm biased but Lewis was my driver of the race, not just because he started 10th and finished 4th, but for the way he managed to hold off Vettel who was in a faster car, the way he still managed to fight off Massa at the very end after fuel saving for 15-20 laps. Formula1 would be a much duller place without him and I wish he had managed to get on that podium, maybe if McLaren had put enough fuel in he would have been.

Germany next, back to where the team orders debate started last year.

Vicky
Old 07-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Moderator Manager

I actually want to cheer for Mark for ignoring team orders. I heard he was reminded more than once over the radio but he just ignored them. I don't really see the point of team orders to begin with but since they are allowed, I guess RBR was doing their 'duty'.

Like you I was cheering for Lewis. He drove brilliantly and was my driver of the race. Everything just went for Ferrari, I guess. And Jenson's horrible pitstop totally ruined the race for him. Also, I kind of noticed on the podium some tension going on with Seb & Mark. It was probably the team order thing but it was a bit obvious on the podium. Good thing too they didn't spray champagne on Prince Harry, that'll be embarrassing if they did that.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:32 AM
Dedicated Fan

Hey everybody!

My favourite driver is Damon Hill, he was brilliant at the Hungarian Grand Prix in 1997, I'm an F1 fan since then. And my respect for him only grew as I learned more about him and watched documentaries and clips of his past races.

Currently I'm rooting for Mark Webber and Ricciardo, the two Aussies, Button, Hamilton, Kobayashi (you can always count on him to bring some action), Alonso and Schumacher. I'm happy if a small team is doing well too. And I do not like Vettel, at all...

Many people were attacking Hamilton lately and I have to say I disagree with them. At least he is doing what everybody is supposed to be doing, racing. I like his aggressive style, he shouldn't change. Okay, he could be a bit more patient sometimes, but he shouldn't hold back.

And the penalties are ridiculous... Let the guys race, damn it! A little bump is fine, if they can both go on, no penalty is necessary. Only if the other driver is knocked out of the race or if someone is driving dangerously. This is F1, stop crying and if you're not up to it, stay in lower categories... Oh, and if there is a little rain, don't wait, let them go, they can handle it!
Old 07-23-2011, 06:19 AM
Dedicated Fan

Webber is in pole position! Congrats Mark, great job!
Old 07-23-2011, 06:44 AM
Elite Fan

I'm so happy to see Lewis up on the front row, it's been too long. It certainly was a nice surprise seeing as he thought he was totally out of the fight for pole. I'm happy for Mark too, the only down point was Jenson being over a second behind Lewis, I don't know what is going on there.

Welcome btw I'm Vicky

Quote:
I actually want to cheer for Mark for ignoring team orders.
Me too It's a shame he didn't manage to get past him.

Quote:
I like his aggressive style, he shouldn't change. Okay, he could be a bit more patient sometimes, but he shouldn't hold back.
I totally agree. He needs to realise he can't win the race on the first corner but I love his aggressive style, he pushes so hard and it's exciting to watch.

Vicky
Old 07-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Dedicated Fan

Jenson was having problems during free practice, maybe they couldn't fix everything. (By the way, interesting trivia: Damon Hill won his first race in Hungary and became World Champion, Jenson won his first GP in Hungary too, and also became World Champion. )
And yeah, it was nice to see Hamilton doing so well, I loved his reaction after he finished the lap.

Thanks Vicky, I'm William.

And to be honest, I'm not against team orders, when they are used wisely, or when one of the drivers is clearly much better than the other one. In Mark's case it was uncalled for though and I'm glad he didn't do as he was told.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Elite Fan

What a great race, three teams fighting for the win and I'm so glad the winner was Lewis.

Disappointed for Jenson but he just had some bad luck, Lewis was brilliant though, that overtake on Alonso I was so nervous for Lewis at those last pit stops, I was worried he was going to be disadvantaged by stopping earlier seeing as they all thought the hard tyre was going to be significantly slower than the soft tyre.

Interesting to see Vettel not doing as well as we are used to seeing, it made a nice change though imo to see him not on that podium. The three drivers that were on the podium all deserved to be there.

That was a much better race than last year's German GP.

Vicky
Closed Thread   Post New Thread