Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2004, 08:57 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by L i N d $ @ y

marie: i know what you mean. before i accidentally erased all my f1 pics before, i have tons of kimi pics and i can't remember which kimi sites i've been to to save all the pics! the may issue of f1 racing is wow!!! alonso!!!
Lindsay - u mean these pictures?! very sexy boy

so lindsay I assume that u have bought the May issue? the two features on Fernando are ones that i enjoyed the Jenson feature in the June one is pretty long... i think... i've not read it yet... i just flicked through it last saturday when i got it.

ok Johanna if u wanna be called that i'll call u that I'm happy with MH, Marie, M... i dunno what else anyone on this site has ever called me i think those are the ones that I use

fla - your home computer is now fixed? anyway it's nice to see you again glad u like the pictures. i didn't see Lindsay as Kimi's wife either

jens (almost called u Jense ) I lurve Monaco it's so pretty and nice and... i just like it such a special race. i can't wait to see it again. Practise on Thursday. Practise & Quali on Saturday and the Race on Sunday
Old 05-16-2004, 07:27 AM
Moderator Manager

yes, those "wet" alonso pics. we still don't have the june issue. probably last week of may. we're always late you know. and too bad you didn't see me as Kimi's Wife. maxi saw it. she teased us that we got divorced already. and that's too bad. she was the witness to the whole thing. i nearly asked her to be the principal sponsor to my wedding.

i'm weird, forgive me.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet. ✨

Old 05-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Loyal Fan

We forgive you Lindsay! But you have a huge fantasy

Marie: Jense? Hmm, why not.
Monaco is the only race where the training is on Thursday. I wonder why? Is there something special on friday?
Old 05-18-2004, 06:36 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by L i N d $ @ y
and too bad you didn't see me as Kimi's Wife. maxi saw it. she teased us that we got divorced already. and that's too bad. she was the witness to the whole thing. i nearly asked her to be the principal sponsor to my wedding.

i'm weird, forgive me.
I forgive u but only because the title of my LJ is "the art of being Mrs Alonso"
so if u are weird then I am also weird

Jens - I don't actually know the reason why FP is on Thursday and not Friday but i did once hear something about them opening the roads again on the Friday so maybe it's because they didn't want to close the roads for three days in a row If that's true then they must have to keep setting up the track...
so maybe that isn't the real reason... anyone else know anything?
Old 05-18-2004, 06:42 AM
Supreme Fan

FERNANDO PLAYS IT COOL
Last Updated: Tuesday, 18 May , 2004, 12:37

Fernando Alonso is refusing to make any predictions about how Renault will fare at this weekend’s Monaco GP.

Last year, the team headed to the Principality with high hopes of victory only to be disappointed. Alonso is determined to ensure they don’t make the same mistake this time around.

Asked how he expected to do, the Spaniard said: “We will see - the race is so different to anywhere else that we cannot make any predictions until we have started running on Thursday.

“It is very important to know the circuit well and to have experience racing there, to know how the track changes, and to best understand how to set the car up and cope with the changing conditions - grip levels increase very quickly, and that can catch you out if you don't have the experience to adapt.

“Also, we have an extra day between practice and qualifying, and the circuit changes a lot in that time: you have to learn everything again on Saturday morning.”

Team-mate Jarno Trulli, who finished third at Barcelona last time out, concurred with Alonso.

He said: “We will only find out how fast we are when we actually get on to the track, but the circuit should suit us.

“We made progress with the car at Barcelona, and it was very consistent in performance during the race. I think this can be a good race for us, but there are too many variables now to make any definite predictions.

However, the drivers differ in their assessments of the track, with Trulli much more of a fan than Alonso.

Asked if the race was special for drivers, Trulli replied: “As a Renault driver, definitely! The atmosphere is nice because there are big crowds, and also lots of Renault supporters

“You need a good car, and we have that, but the driver can make a real difference. There are compromises to be made everywhere, but to be quick, the driver has to be 100% confident in the car.”

But Alonso said: “To be honest, you are so busy in the car, all the time, at every point around the circuit, that it is hard to enjoy it. You need maximum concentration at every stage of the race, because any mistake will put you out.”

RENAULT OPTIMISTIC FOR MONACO
Last Updated: Friday, 14 May , 2004, 17:14

Renault’s Bob Bell expects another strong performance at the Monaco Grand Prix.

At Barcelona last week Renault secured their best result of the season with third and fourth positions on the Spanish GP.

Along with Ferrari, Renault are the only team to have a 100 per cent points finishing record and lie second in the championship, 40 points behind the Prancing Horse but 10 ahead of third-place team BAR.

Chassis technical director Bob Bell was delighted with the team’s effort after a difficult start to the weekend.

He said: “I think we got a very solid finish, and it was certainly as good as we could have hoped for given Ferrari's current domination.

“Perhaps most pleasing, though, was that it was the result of a good, progressive weekend.

“When we began on Friday the car was not handling brilliantly, as often happens at Barcelona, and we just kept on moving in the right direction.

“We made sensible changes to the car, and let the track come to us. And of course, both drivers put in a splendid job.”

Bell is particularly excited about the forthcoming Monaco GP for the high downforce set-up for the Monte Carlo streets should suit the R24 perfectly.

He said: “At Monaco, we know qualifying will be all-important.

“This is traditionally a circuit that suits us: the R24 should perform strongly there, and the car has a good high-downforce package.

“Our drivers have been impeccable so far and there is little reason for that to change in Monaco: Jarno has been historically very quick through the streets, and is extremely motivated after his first podium of the year, while Fernando raced very strongly there in 2003 and will certainly benefit from the experience he has gained since then.”

SCHU WARY OF BUTTON THREAT
Last Updated: Tuesday, 18 May , 2004, 11:43

Michael Schumacher has tipped Jenson Button to be his biggest rival at Monaco this weekend.

The German believes that BAR star Button is the man most likely to make life difficult for him as he bids for a record sixth consecutive win from the start of a season.

He said: “I expect they will be strong because the conditions remind me a little of Imola – and they were impressive there.”

The German has not won the Monaco GP since 2001, and it was one of the few races to elude Ferrari in their all-conquering 2002 season.

But Schumacher has every confidence that he will be up at the front this time around.

He said: “There is no reason to think that we should not be strong there.

“This race is a real challenge for a driver and that spurs me on.”

Schumacher is fully aware of the importance of gaining pole position this weekend – although he says he is not especially worried by Jarno Trulli’s rocket start in Barcelona.

He said: “'Jarno himself explained why he made the start he did - he said that he instinctively put his foot down and hoped that the lights would come on at precisely that moment. Luckily for him they did.

“We have analysed all [our] starts of the first five races and come to the conclusion that they are as good as the other team's, even though they don't seem to be, so I am not really worried too much about Monaco.

“More than anything, the pole position is more important than it is elsewhere but thanks to a sound strategy, you can win even if you start further back.”

Schumacher is due to appear in a charity football match in Monaco on Tuesday, leading a drivers’ team against an all-star XI headed by Prince Albert of Monaco.

BUTTON AIMS FOR PODIUM RETURN
Last Updated: Sunday, 16 May , 2004, 18:26

Jenson Button has set his sights on a return to the top three at next weekend’s Monaco GP.

Button’s run of three consecutive podium finishes came to a grinding halt at Barcelona last weekend, thanks to a mistake in qualifying.

The Brit suffered a serious accident at Monaco last year which put him out of the race but he is hoping to erase that memory with a strong performance this week.

He said: “It’s a circuit I enjoy and I think that we are going to be very strong there.

“Ferrari obviously remain the dominant force but it would be nice to get a good result and get back on the podium, especially after the accident I had here last year.

“All in all, I’m really looking forward to it.”

Button is of course a Monaco resident, and he is fully aware of what sets the race apart from other events.

He said: “Monaco is very different to any other circuit. There are big barriers all the way around and it is very fast - it also seems faster to drive because the barriers are so much closer to the track.

“There is no margin for error and that’s why you normally see people building up to a good lap time - some taking longer than others.

“It’s obviously going to be very important to get plenty of mileage on the car and so hopefully Anthony will be able to do plenty of laps during Thursday’s running.”

Team boss David Richards is also upbeat about BAR’s prospects for the weekend.

He said: “This time last year, we might well have considered a two-car points finish in Barcelona to be a good result, so it’s a measure of how far we’ve come that we all left Spain feeling slightly disappointed.

“There is no doubt that we now feel we belong on the podium and Monaco will be no exception.”

INJURED DAVIDSON 'RARING TO GO'
Last Updated: Monday, 17 May , 2004, 13:04

Anthony Davidson will be fighting fit for this weekend’s Monaco GP.

The BAR test driver was forced to pull over in agony during testing at Paul Ricard last week.

Davidson was taken to hospital for a check-up where it emerged he was suffering from a pinched nerve in his back.

The Brit has been receiving physio treatment since last Tuesday and will be fit and well for Monaco practice on Thursday.

He said: “This time it really hurt. It’s on the mend and I’ll certainly be ready and raring to go in Monaco.”

FRANK REVEALS HIS PASS MASTER
Last Updated: Sunday, 16 May , 2004, 18:16

Frank Williams believes Juan Pablo Montoya is the greatest overtaker on the F1 grid.

And the Williams team boss admitted he will be sad to lose the Colombian next year when he joins McLaren.

While the two have not had a particularly close relationship like that enjoyed by Ron Dennis and Mika Hakkinen in the past, Williams has great admiration for Montoya’s skills behind the wheel.

Williams told Revved Up: "I'll be sad to see him go because he's a great driver.

"He has his ups and downs but the main thing is that he is a terrific driver and the best passer on the grid.

"He can see an overtaking opportunity like nobody else - including Michael Schumacher."

In fact Williams believes Montoya is having one of his best season’s in terms of his driving, but the Briton says the performance of the FW26 means we’ve barely seen it.

He said: "He is driving better than ever this year, but I have got to say that we are a little disappointed by the performance of the car.

"I could dish out all sorts of excuses, but at the end of the day we are just not working like a true top team.

"Ferrari are supreme at the moment and another big reason is that the secret of success is no longer a secret. It used to just be Ferrari, McLaren, Benetton and Williams who knew how to win.

"But now you have the likes of BAR, with Jaguar and Toyota not far off."

Last year the team endured similar misery at the beginning of the season but staged a comeback at the Monaco GP, which Montoya won.

Last week though both Montoya and team-mate Ralf Schumacher played down a similar feat at next weekend’s blue ribbond event with Ralf even admitting the team needed a ‘miracle’ to win in the Principality.

RALF LOOKS FOR A MIRACLE
Last Updated: Saturday, 15 May , 2004, 18:27

Only a miracle at next weekend’s Monaco GP will lead to a repeat of Williams’ success at the event last year, according to Ralf Schumacher.

In 2003 Ralf took pole position while team-mate Juan Pablo Montoya took his first win of the season and the team’s first victory in 20 races.

After a dire start to the season Montoya’s victory marked the beginning of a Williams’ recovery that culminated in the Colombian challenging Michael Schumacher for the title.

But Ralf believes that the team will only repeat their 2003 feat if their rivals aren’t on form.

He said: “I am looking forward to next weekend in Monaco as I lived there for many years. That said, the track is not up-to-date, but nevertheless, last year it was the highlight of the season as on Saturday I was on pole and on Sunday Juan won the race!

“It was the turning point of what had been a disappointing start of the season and in the end we nearly claimed a World Championship.

“At the moment we are far away from that possibility, but I would like to believe in a little miracle in the Principality. But looking at it realistically, we are not going to be fighting for the victory unless other teams do not perform at their best.

“At present the team is working round the clock, but it will take some time before we can be at the front again.”

Montoya has great memories of the prestigious event, but like his team-mate, is also keeping his hopes in check.

He said: “No doubt the Monaco Grand Prix is both very special and very difficult at the same time.

“The track punishes you for any mistakes because if you lose the car you end up in the wall. It is an art to learn how to push there!

“It's a unique race because it's the only real street circuit we race at and this is the main reason why it has so much charm.

“I was on pole two years ago and I won last year. I remain very proud of this particular victory as it has long been one of my main Formula 1 ambitions to win at Monaco.

“This year will really be down to the car if we'll be able to catch up with our competitors. Naturally I'll be giving my all to repeat last year's success.”

RUBENS PREDICTS WILLIAMS FIGHTBACK
Last Updated: Friday, 14 May , 2004, 17:22

Rubens Barrichello believes Williams will be the ones to watch at the Monaco GP next weekend.

In the first five races of the season it is BAR and Renault that have taken the fight to World Champions Ferrari with Williams down in fourth while McLaren are fighting for scraps down in fifth.

But Barrichello refuses to dismiss Williams and believes they will mount a comeback starting at the Monaco GP, an event they won last year at the hands of Juan Pablo Montoya.

He told Ferrari’s website: "We should remember that last year, Williams did not really get on the pace until they won in Monaco.

"So we should definitely not discount them and now it is clear that, in terms of pure speed, BAR are the closest to us, with Williams and Renault not too far behind."

After Montoya’s win, the first in 20 races for Williams, the team were back on form after a dire start to the season and came through to challenge Michael Schumacher and Ferrari for the championship by the end of the season.

Williams have remained cautious though and do not expect the same sort of recovery that they staged last year.

But Ferrari’s technical director Ross Brawn is concerned over Michelin’s prominence on the first lap above the Bridgestones.

This is particularly a concern for Brawn at Monaco, a notoriously difficult circuit to overtake on where to be at the front is vital.

Brawn said: "We perhaps have a performance advantage on occasions but it may not be enough to overcome the first lap performance of the Michelins.

"When we don't get a strong position at the beginning of the race we can't use the car.

"We've got a race coming at Monaco where it will be absolutely crucial and we've been doing a lot of things, we've got a lot of things happening in testing to try and give a very strong tyre for the first lap, even if that means a little less consistency."

WEBBER CALLS ON EXPERIENCE
Last Updated: Tuesday, 18 May , 2004, 11:14

Mark Webber hopes his knowledge of the Monaco streets will favour him this weekend.

The circuit is the most unforgiving on the F1 calendar with a brush of the barriers likely to end any driver’s race.

Limited run-off areas also require a driver to have a perfect lap, every lap.

Jaguar’s Mark Webber is no stranger to the Monte Carlo circuit having raced on it in F1 for the past two years and won there while driving in F3000.

He said: "I have great memories of Monaco especially from my win here in 2001 when I was competing in F3000.

“The street circuit tends to favour those who have experience here, so for me this is a track that I really enjoy although even with a few years experience it can still throw surprises your way.

“The on-track activities are starting on Thursday this week and we will be looking to make the most of having three cars on track in order to complete as much mileage as possible.

“The track is generally quite slow and also bumpy so the set-up and balance on the car can take some time to adjust.

“I will be looking to qualify well as there are few overtaking opportunities and as a result you need to make the most of attrition, of which I am sure there will be some!

“Whatever way we look at it, it's going to be an interesting race and the spectators are always guaranteed some entertainment here!"

Team-mate Christian Klien though is completely new to the track and will have to familiarise himself with the streets during the Thursday practice sessions.

The Austrian said: "I don't know this circuit at all so this is going to be a testing weekend for me on track.

“However saying that, this will not be the first track I will have raced at where I have no experience so I am going into it open-minded and motivated.

“I have read much about the circuit and the race weekend and I am looking forward to racing on a circuit that has so much history connected to it.

“I will be making the most of the Thursday testing and working on my set-up and balance here.

“The circuit is also likely to be quite hard on the tyres and traction will be important here. We have a good competitive car in the R5 and I will be aiming for the chequered flag here and points would be a bonus.

“If I can bring the car home in one piece and avoid the barriers I will be pleased."

The R5 will feature some aero upgrades after the team carried out development work in the wind-tunnel following the Spanish GP. It will be minus its rear-wing fences though after a further clarification of the rules.

Head of vehicle performance Mark Gillan said: "The Monaco street circuit is one of the most exciting and challenging tracks there is on the F1 calendar and it usually keeps us busy from the moment we get out on track.

“We have been preparing the R5 both at the factory in Milton Keynes and at Stuttgart in Germany, focusing on the R5's continuous performance development programme.

“As such we will be bringing a number of performance upgrades to Monaco including new aerodynamic, chassis and powertrain upgrades.

“The R5 is in good shape for the street-circuit and we will be looking to capitalise on the fact that Mark knows this circuit and enjoys driving it too.

“Christian is certainly going to find it more difficult here but he is very focused and is very quick to learn the layouts of new circuits.”

JAGUAR GO HOLLYWOOD
Last Updated: Monday, 17 May , 2004, 11:18

Jaguar will launch the Hollywood blockbuster ‘Ocean’s 12’ at Monaco this weekend.

The team said that imagery from the movie will ‘form a central part of Jaguar’s presence’ at the race, with branding on team shirts, overalls and, of course, the cars themselves.

The film stars George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Julia Roberts, and several of the cast members will be on hand over the weekend.

Jerry Weintraub, producer of the film, said: “The Monaco GP is the highlight of the global racing calendar and ‘Ocean’s 12’ will be one of the most exhilarating, thrilling and stylish films of the year.

“The partnership reflects how Formula 1 is the perfect audience for us and Jaguar Racing the preferred partner.

“The cast can’t wait to see their names hurtling around the streets of Monaco at more than 250kph.”

The movie features a number of vehicles from the Ford family, including Jaguars, Land Rovers and Aston Martins.

Jaguar board director Joe Greenwell said: “’Ocean’s 12’ oozes style, sophistication and luxury – qualities integral with the cars in the movie.

“We’re bringing together Hollywood’s biggest movie of the year, the biggest race in the F1 calendar and some of our most desirable cars – it’s an incredibly exciting mix.”

It is not the first time that Jaguar have run with film branding on their cars. The team promoted ‘Terminator 3’ at Silverstone last year, with Arnold Schwarzenegger even putting in an appearance at the race.

HAS BERNIE WON OVER FERRARI?
Last Updated: Monday, 17 May , 2004, 10:55

There is speculation that Bernie Ecclestone has lured Ferrari away from the GPWC.

Rumours have been flying around in the past week that Ecclestone has done a commercial deal with Ferrari although the man himself will not confirm that this is the case.

Ecclestone says that he will be spending an extra $670m on the F1 teams between now and the end of the current Concorde Agreement in December 2007 and will probably use this financial muscle as an incentive for the teams to agree to cancel the existing agreement and start a new system.

But Ecclestone revealed at Imola that the GPWC is not willing to commit for a long term deal until 2014, something which he believes is essential for the future stability of the sport.

If the rumours of an individual deal with Ferrari turn out to be true, it would be a major blow to the GPWC as the world champions are one of their most valuable bargaining chips.

Ferrari failed to send a representative when the GPWC met for a routine meeting at Barcelona last weekend, fuelling the rumours.

If Ecclestone has successfully lured Ferrari away from the GPWC it must have been a very expensive business for him.

But even without the Italian team, the GPWC remains a fairly powerful organization – as long as the manufacturers can convince the other teams to hold out against Ecclestone's offers to do individual commercial deals with FOM.

The biggest sticking point in negotiations between FOM and the GPWC is that no one apart from Ecclestone is happy with the way that the revenues are currently being divided up.

There is also the problem that a lot of revenue goesbto Patrick McNally's Allsport Management.

A big percentage of this then goes on to Ecclestone who has sub-contracted the exploitation of certain rights to McNally.

In order to get this money back into the fold, McNally needs to be bought out because many of his contracts extend many years beyond the end of the current Concorde Agreement and are not dependent on it.

However, buying McNally out and bringing the business ‘in house’ could cost as much as $500 million.

my mobile is a Samsung...
SAMSUNG INTERESTED IN F1 DEAL
Last Updated: Monday, 17 May , 2004, 16:21

Korean electronics giant Samsung are reportedly interested in sponsoring an F1 team.

The company is apparently willing to invest around $150 million over a three-year period, starting next season.

Samsung wants to use the sport to increase sales of its own mobile phones but is understood to be keen not to be associated with any team that carries tobacco sponsorship.

With that kind of money on offer, however, tobacco teams might choose to move into the non-tobacco camp.

A number of teams are talking with Samsung but there are problems also with clashes of products with other sponsors. The teams most likely to land the deal are Williams, McLaren, BAR and Renault.

Samsung only want a three-year deal to begin with because they are already committed to a massive involvement in the Olympic Games.

Samsung are involved in a number of high technology industries including consumer electronics, mobile telephony, chemicals, optical telecommunications and aerospace.

However, it is a little-known fact that it was founded in the 1930s as a trading company dealing in dried fish and vegetables!
Old 05-18-2004, 06:49 AM
Supreme Fan

NO!!!!!!
Rain certain to fall
At the Monaco GP

Oh no - rain is 'certain to fall' on Sunday's prestigious Monaco Grand Prix.

A source in the Principality said sun and 24-degrees beats down on the pretty girls and fast cars on Tuesday morning but that's all to change later this week.

When defending winner Juan Pablo Montoya exits pitlane in his Williams on Thursday morning, cloud - but nonetheless warm weather - should fill the sky.

But when the track-action takes a break on Friday, so too will the good weather.

Scattered showers are likely to move-in on Friday afternoon, giving in to light rain on Saturday, when Michael Schumacher goes for his fifth pole of the season.

'Certain rain' on Sunday, said the source, and 21-degrees, is forecast.

'Unusual schedule'
in Monaco

Remember to tune-in to your favourite Formula One media-outlet on Thursday.

How come? Because one of the twenty grand prix aces would already have gone quickest around the twisty Monte-Carlo street circuit in official practice.

Unlike at other venues, F1 takes a day-off in Monaco on Friday.

''It's an unusual schedule,'' said Hiroshi Yasukawa.

Bridgestone's director of motorsport reckons the Friday void means track conditions 'can vary considerably' from Thursday to Sunday's Monaco GP.

Spanish ace Fernando Alonso agrees that the circuit 'changes a lot.

''The extra day means you have to learn everything again on Saturday morning,'' said the Renault driver, who has finished every race in the points in 2004.

Monaco is also the only grand prix on the Formula One calendar with a fixed date from year-to-year - it's always held on the first Sunday after Ascension Day.

New Monaco 'the pits' for fans
According to Cristiano da Matta

Monaco features an all-new pit and paddock complex for the 2004 Grand Prix.

Land has been reclaimed from the harbour so that F1 teams no longer have to endure a long trek from the pits to makeshift garages in a multi-story car park.

"Usually it is logistically very demanding," said Toyota's Cristiano da Matta.

The Brazilian said 'everything has been improved' for drivers and mechanics.

But while Monaco was always the worst place for teams to work, Cologne's driving star reckons the glamorous event 'was the best one' for the event's spectators.

"Before, they could actually see something," he claimed. "At most other places we're hidden. So we'll have to see what this is like."

Alonso tells Renault to 'up its game'
''...we need to work hard on qualifying''

Fernando Alonso has urged Renault to up its game on Saturday afternoons.

The Spaniard set the third-fastest race lap at Barcelona but he said a podium-chance was squandered because the R24's qualifying form is not up to scratch.

''I was just a tenth slower than Michael,'' Fernando recalled.

''So it's clear we have a good level of performance with the car.

''But we need to work hard on qualifying further up the grid.''

And that, said the 22-year-old star, will be even more important at Monaco this weekend, where overtaking between the arm-co barriers is nigh on impossible.

Alonso has not scored a podium finish since the season-opening Australian GP.

Renault to run 'Ferrari like' wing
In Monaco

Renault is well-equipped for the slippery streets of Monte- Carlo.

Technical director Bob Bell said the Enstone-based Formula One team, like most other grand prix outfits, has developed a 'special high- downforce' package.

It focuses primarily on the 'wing package,' he told us on Monday.

The R24 racer is to feature a Ferrari-like 'roll- hoop wing,' a deck-wing mounted between the car's rear wheels, and a high-downforce 'rear wing configuration.'

Bob explained: ''We [also] have developments to the bargeboards.''

Pantano to miss Monaco?
And Verstappen to step in

Giorgio Pantano's Monaco Grand Prix is in doubt.

A source close to the Jordan team said the Italian has failed to cough-up his latest sponsor-cash instalment that became due at the end of last month.

The source said Pantano's sponsors are unhappy with the rookie's performance.

His replacement could be Jos Verstappen, who has already had his seat fitted, or Friday team tester Timo Glock, who was given plenty of testing miles last week.

A spokeswoman vehemently denied the 'rumour.'

It was earlier claimed that Jos, with Dutch backers, was more likely to replace Germany's Nick Heidfeld, who does not bring a dime to the Silverstone team.

Schumi vs Prince Albert
Michael Schumacher is to take-on Prince Albert of Monaco. The pair are set to play on opposite teams in a benefit football match, and Schumacher - the reigning world champion - is to captain the drivers' XI.

Prince Albert will lead an all-star team in Monte-Carlo. Fernando Alonso, Jordan's Giorgio Pantano and Rubens Barrichello are also definite starters for the Formula One drivers' squad, according to reports.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:57 AM
Supreme Fan

DECORATION!!!!

MIKA & THE QUEEN!!!!!!! (Queen of England)

Kimi and The Queen

what a day for The Queen. Getting to meet Mika and Kimi
Old 05-19-2004, 12:50 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *MH*
NO!!!!!!
Rain certain to fall
At the Monaco GP
Naa, I think a wet race in Monaco could be very interesting. The one who get the Pole has a very good chance to win the race.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:17 AM
Elite Fan

We have Mika pictrues!!

I can't even remember the last time I saw his lovely face on this thread. I am like the decorations that we are having at the moment!! And he and Kimi got to meet the Queen?? That must have been such an awesome experience.

Thanks for all the news and pics Marie.

It wouldn't bother me if it was a wet race. Might make the racing a little closer and more exciting.

It's Elementary my dear Watson
Old 05-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Supreme Fan

yeah i know too long without seeing Mika on this thread
and then what comes along

the only problem that I have with a wet Monaco is that it could hand the advantage to Schumacher i know Monaco is different to other tracks so Bridgestone may not have a tyre advantage and we haven't had a wet race for a while so we don't know how the wet tyres compare at the moment. But during the last wet race that happened Bridgestone did have the better tyre

interesting picture

Old 05-19-2004, 09:37 AM
Supreme Fan

hummm f1 drivers playing football i've found some at getty but i dunno whether pictures from thst site work here... i've found that sometimes u need to right click and then select show picture to make them appear... sometimes it takes more than one attempt

oh wow go to F1Total.com for more football pics! i've found millions!
team photo

look at Schumi's leg... wonder what he's done

ETA: the getty images pictures didn't even work as images... strange
Old 05-20-2004, 02:01 AM
Supreme Fan

INJURED PANTANO PLANS TO DRIVE
Last Updated: Thursday, 20 May , 2004, 09:54

Giorgio Pantano will drive this weekend despite suffering a knee injury playing a charity football match against Prince Albert's Star Team.

The Jordan driver was playing for Michael Schumacher’s driver’s football team in Monte Carlo on Wednesday evening when he twisted his knee and was stretchered off the pitch.

The 25-year old underwent a full hospital medical examination on the knee but suffered no long-term damage and will be able to take part in the two practice sessions on Thursday.

A Jordan spokeswoman said: “Giorgio has had treatment, he is back in the paddock now and although he has had quite a bit of pain from the knee, he is planning to drive in practice tomorrow morning.”

MCLAREN REMAIN REALISTIC
Last Updated: Wednesday, 19 May , 2004, 15:48

Neither David Coulthard nor Kimi Raikkonen predict a success story at this weekend’s Monaco GP.

But the two McLaren drivers have not discounted taking some points home following a positive test at the Paul Ricard circuit last week.

McLaren are in the midst of one of their worst starts to a Formula 1 season lying fifth in the championship on just five points.

At the Spanish GP two weeks ago Coulthard and Raikkonen brought their cars home in 10th and 11th – there were only 13 finishers – one lap down on former rivals Ferrari.

The team await the MP4-19B with much expectation, but in the meantime the British squad has to grin and bear it.

Just to illustrate McLaren’s current state, Coulthard, who won the event two years ago, admits he’ll be happy with a points finish.

He said: "For me, the Monaco GP is definitely one of the key features of the Formula 1 season.

"Despite this quantity of corners overtaking is virtually impossible. There are some chances, such as the braking zone into Mirabeau, but it's always very risky.

“My two victories at Monaco have been highlights of my career so far.

“Realistically it is unlikely I will add another Monte Carlo win to my tally this year, however hopefully we will be able to improve on performance in Spain and take some points."

While team-mate Raikkonen echoes Coulthard’s sentiments, the Finn is at least confident the team will perform better than they did in Spain.

He said: "Like most of the drivers, I always enjoy the Monaco GP.

“There is a special atmosphere about the event, it's a totally different race than all the other tracks on the calendar, I would say it is a real driver's circuit.

“I had a close battle with Juan Pablo last year, it was a good race, and although it is unlikely we will be at the front of the pack this weekend on current form, we are aiming to be more competitive than at the Circuit de Catalunya on the narrow streets of Monte Carlo."

Last week the team tested the MP4-19 at Paul Ricard with test driver Pedro de la Rosa topping the timesheets on one of the days.

Team manager Martin Whitmarsh said: "Since the Spanish GP we have been testing at Paul Ricard in the south of France with David, Kimi, Alex Wurz and Pedro de la Rosa.

“In addition to progressively working our way through the proving process of some chassis and engine modifications, we also completed our Monaco-specific preparations.

"Both our drivers are confident on the streets of Monte Carlo, with its unique characteristics, and will be able to push the car hard given its limitations.

“As we have previously outlined, there will be no overnight fix, but we have a clear development plan in place with regards the current issues."

RALF DOUBTS JV RETURN
Last Updated: Thursday, 20 May , 2004, 10:01

Ralf Schumacher has scoffed at rumours that Jacques Villeneuve will return to Williams in 2005.

Speculation that Villeneuve will be on his way back to the team that he took his 1997 world title with have gained ground in recent weeks.

It is thought that the French-Canadian will carry out a test for the team in the coming weeks.

While Ralf believes Villeneuve’s return would be good for the sport, the German seems to think the team’s bosses would not want him back.

He said: “Certainly Jacques would be good for Formula 1, but I’d just be very surprised if he came back to Williams.

“I remember the days when Frank [Williams] and Patrick [Head] just blamed him for everything and just hated him and wanted to fire him and said he was useless.

“Fine, if he comes back next year to Williams, he would be a very nice team mate if I am still here. From his last few years he didn’t look so strong, but maybe that will change…”

Villeneuve drove for Williams in 1996 and the following two seasons before he joined newcomers BAR until the US Grand Prix last year.

BUTTON BRINGS THE BUCKS
Last Updated: Wednesday, 19 May , 2004, 12:51

Jenson Button’s string of points this year has led to a surge in companies wanting to sponsor BAR.

Button currently lies third in the drivers’ championship after scoring points in each of the five races, including three podium finishes.

Thanks to the Briton’s points and those of his team-mate Takuma Sato, BAR are also lying third in the constructors’ chase.

Team boss David Richards has revealed that Button’s success has caused widespread interest in the British outfit putting them in the unique position of choosing who they do or don’t take on as team sponsors.

Richards told The Sun: “The sudden surge of commercial interest has been staggering.

“We have gone from total no-hopers to a team that’s young, exciting and professional.

“Our latest market research shows a huge change in attitude towards us in key countries such as the UK, Germany and Italy.

“There are now so many people wishing to sponsor us that we can afford to be selective.”

HEIDFELD: WE HAVE A CHANCE
Last Updated: Wednesday, 19 May , 2004, 10:44

Jordan’s Nick Heidfeld hopes the team will pick up some points at the Monaco GP this weekend.

The German reasons that the unforgiving streets of Monte Carlo often catch drivers out producing one of the most mixed up results sheets of the whole season.

Heidfeld therefore believes that if he doesn’t put a foot wrong he could be the one to pick up the pieces from those in front.

He said: "Monaco is one of my favourite circuits, along with Suzuka. It’s a very special race, driving through the city, as it doesn’t give you room for mistakes and on top of that it’s a very special atmosphere every year.

“From the team’s point of view, we probably have a better chance here than we had in the last couple of races because if you look at history, anything can happen in Monaco. We will try our best and see what happens.”

The team have certainly fared well in Monaco in the past qualifying in the top six, six times, including Jarno Trulli’s front row in 2000. Their highest race position is fourth place twice with Heinz-Harald Frentzen in 1999 and Andrea de Cesaris in 1994.

Second driver Giorgio Pantano has no such expectations having never raced in an F1 car around the streets.

He said: “I expect Monaco to be very challenging for me as I have never been there with an F1 car.

“It will be quite hard to understand quickly how to use it best, finding its limits, where the braking points are and so on.

“Fortunately I know the circuit as I have been there three times in F3000, so it’s a case of applying my existing knowledge to learning Monaco in F1.

“It’s a circuit where it may be possible for us to get a good result as you never know what might happen."

BRIDGESTONE: WE HAVE WORKED HARD
Last Updated: Tuesday, 18 May , 2004, 16:45

Bridgestone are confident they have gone some way to improve the performance of their tyres on the first lap.

While Bridgestone-shod Ferrari have won the first five races of the season, there have been concerns that cars using the Japanese rubber have been struggling for pace on the first lap on new tyres.

Bridgestone have carried out extensive work at Mugello, Fiorano, Silverstone and Paul Ricard with Ferrari and other teams since the Spanish GP in a bid to solve the problem in time for this weekend’s street race in Monte Carlo.

At this circuit more than any other on the F1 calendar, qualifying position and the first lap of the race are crucial with overtaking possibilities virtually non-existent.

Bridgestone’s technical manager Hisao Suganuma said: “We have worked hard to improve our first lap performance as qualifying is of particular importance on a street circuit with limited overtaking opportunities.

“Very soft compounds are also necessary for grip and one lap performance but this can increase the likelihood of graining.

“We need to make sure we do not compromise performance following on from that first lap.

“However, we have been encouraged with our test results so I am looking forward to seeing our tyre performance in Monaco.”

Whether the problem is overcome or not, Bridgestone have fallen short of glory at the Principality in the last two years with rivals Michelin taking the top honours first with David Coulthard in 2002 and then Juan Pablo Montoya last year.

Michelin are in desperate need of a win as they have yet to step on the top spot of the podium this year and their last win was the 2003 Hungarian GP last August..

Michelin boss Pierre Dupasquier said: “This is a race like no other on the F1 schedule – it has a character like no other track and technically it is the complete opposite of the previous race in Barcelona.

“In Spain we ran hard tyres to deal with very abrasive conditions; in Monaco we will use much softer compounds.

“I am looking forward to the weekend and am confident we can complete our hat trick.”

SILVERSTONE PLANS ROAD CLOSURE
Last Updated: Tuesday, 18 May , 2004, 15:42

Spectators at this year's British GP should find it much easier to enter the circuit with the closure of the main road leading to the Northamptonshire track.

The Inter Agency Working Group – which comprises Silverstone Motorsport Ltd, the British Racing Drivers’ Club, local bodies and the police – has decided to close the main road into the circuit, the A43, to non-race traffic in a bid to ease congestion on the Friday of the race weekend.

Northamptonshire police said of the announcement: "Spectator numbers will be greater on all three days of this year's event and we will ensure that everyone attending the racing will get to Silverstone as quickly and safely as possible.

"Friday is likely to be very busy with race traffic and we feel the road closures, and the diversionary routes in place for non race-goers, will minimise disruption for all road users during the weekend."

Traffic around the Silverstone circuit has caused much criticism in the past with the problem addressed in the run-up to the 2002 race with a new roundabout on the A43 and dual-carriageway access to the circuit.

This latest announcement will help relieve the problem further still and is sure to be welcomed by teams and spectators alike.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:39 AM
Supreme Fan

Who else but Michael?
Monaco GP - First practice

Michael Schumacher started as he intends to continue by setting the pace in the first practice session ahead of Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix. The Ferrari star, who already has five wins from five races to his credit this year, stopped the clocks in 1:16.502s, nearly eight- tenths faster than his nearest rivals. In what was an action-packed first session, BAR Honda continued to show the way to all but Michael Schumacher as Takuma Sato took the second spot less than a tenth of a second ahead of team-mate Jenson Button.

While things appeared to be relatively smooth for Ferrari and BAR, some of their rivals suffered problems even at this early stage of the weekend.

With temperatures hovering in the mid-twenties, the Monaco weekend kicked off with the first 60-minute practice session of the day. Anthony Davidson set the initial pace in his BAR Honda, trading places several times with Fernando Alonso until the Renault driver set a 1:18.640s best and Juan Pablo Montoya vaulted into third spot behind Davidson. With Montoya lapping fast, team-mate Ralf Schumacher’s session proved brief as he stopped his BMW Williams at Piscine after just three laps and without having recorded a lap time.

At the mid-point of the session, notable in their absence were the Ferrari duo of Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello. Giancarlo Fisichella meanwhile banged in a fast lap 1:18.441s on his fourth tour in his Bridgestone shod Sauber to take the fastest time away from Alonso and Renault.

The session was brought to a halt after 32-minutes as Mark Webber brought his Jaguar Ford to a halt with a reported engine fire. The Australian had just recorded the fifth fastest time of the session in the newly liveried Ocean’s 12 and Steinmetz R5 and now faces the very real possibility of starting the race towards the back of the pack if the team are forced to change the V10 unit.

After a seven-minute halt to proceedings, Davidson resumed his quest to top the timesheets, moving fastest on a 1:17.791 as ‘team-mate’ Jenson Button slotted into second position. Seconds later it was all- change as Michael Schumacher moved to the head of the timesheets with a lap in 1:17.593s, a position he would retain until the dying minutes of the session when Ricard Zonta produced the surprise of the session in his Toyota – a lap in 1:17.426. Not to be out-done by a Toyota test driver, Schumacher immediately responded with a lap in 1:16.502, a time that would remain unbeaten. Sadly for Zonta, both Takuma Sato and Jenson Button also beat his best time as the session drew to a close.

With Michael Schumacher out front ahead of the impressive BAR Honda duo of Sato and Button, Ricardo Zonta was an impressive fourth fastest. To put the Brazilian test driver’s pace into some kind of perspective, regular Toyota racers Cristiano da Matta and Olivier Panis were 13th and 14th fastest, some 1.4 seconds adrift.

David Coulthard took the fifth spot for McLaren Mercedes, half a second clear of team-mate Kimi Raikkonen who was just 10th fastest. Fernando Alonso was sixth fastest in his Renault closely pursued by Davidson’s BAR Honda and Jarno Trulli in the second Renault.

Over at BMW Williams, Juan Pablo Montoya dropped to ninth by the end of the session while Ralf Schumacher – Pole Position holder last year at Monaco – the session was a disaster as the German failed to record a time.

Giancarlo Fisichella topped the timesheets briefly in his Sauber, but soon dropped too 11th overall while Felipe Massa was 16th. Surprise of the session – or disappointment of the session – was Rubens Barrichello who was just 12th fastest in his Ferrari F2004, some 2.119s slower than Michael Schumacher.

Over at Jaguar, the session was not what they would have wished for. With Webber eliminated after an engine fire, Bjorn Wirdheim completed 18 laps before his R5 cried enough and stopped on track at the exit of the tunnel. Christian Klien was just 17th fastest ahead of Giorgio Pantano’s Jordan Ford.

Timo Glock completed 15 laps in his Jordan until problems curtailed his running for the session, but still managed to out-pace Nick Heidfeld who lies flat last in the Championship Standings and has gone on record this week in saying he wants a more experienced team- mate. Heidfeld was 21st ahead of Gianmaria Bruni and Zsolt Baumgartner and Bas Leinders in their Minardis.

P. No Driver Team - Engine Tyres Times Ave/Gaps Laps
1. 1 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari B 1'16"502 157.172 Km/h 14
2. 10 SATO BAR Honda M 1'17"279 + 0'00"777 23
3. 9 BUTTON BAR Honda M 1'17"339 + 0'00"837 19
4. 38 ZONTA Toyota M 1'17"426 + 0'00"924 28
5. 5 COULTHARD McLaren Mercedes M 1'17"524 + 0'01"022 15
6. 8 ALONSO Renault M 1'17"686 + 0'01"184 22
7. 35 DAVIDSON BAR Honda M 1'17"791 + 0'01"289 36
8. 7 TRULLI Renault M 1'17"856 + 0'01"354 24
9. 3 MONTOYA Williams BMW M 1'17"937 + 0'01"435 16
10. 6 RAIKKONEN McLaren Mercedes M 1'17"952 + 0'01"450 18
11. 11 FISICHELLA Sauber Petronas B 1'18"338 + 0'01"836 16
12. 2 BARRICHELLO Ferrari B 1'18"621 + 0'02"119 14
13. 16 DA MATTA Toyota M 1'18"889 + 0'02"387 22
14. 17 PANIS Toyota M 1'19"218 + 0'02"716 17
15. 14 WEBBER Jaguar Cosworth M 1'19"261 + 0'02"759 8
16. 12 MASSA Sauber Petronas B 1'19"335 + 0'02"833 16
17. 15 KLIEN Jaguar Cosworth M 1'19"487 + 0'02"985 29
18. 19 PANTANO Jordan Ford B 1'20"528 + 0'04"026 18
19. 39 GLOCK Jordan Ford B 1'20"534 + 0'04"032 15
20. 37 WIRDHEIM Jaguar Cosworth M 1'20"680 + 0'04"178 18
21. 18 HEIDFELD Jordan Ford B 1'21"141 + 0'04"639 17
22. 20 BRUNI Minardi Cosworth B 1'21"201 + 0'04"699 27
23. 21 BAUMGARTNER Minardi Cosworth B 1'22"203 + 0'05"701 18
24. 40 LEINDERS Minardi Cosworth B 1'23"361 + 0'06"859 12
Old 05-20-2004, 06:00 AM
Elite Fan

Look at how big Mika's son is now!! I remember seeing photos of him when he is a baby!! Mika looks so cool and calm in some of the photos. He really looks at ease now, something that he very rarely looked when he was driving in the F1. Good to see him and his wife out and about.

I can't believe how well the BAR's have done!! 2 and 3 so far. That is impressive. They have done some serious work over the last few months on that car. Very different to the car that we saw last year.

I guess a rainy track could be an advantage for Michael. We all know that he is the rain master but, with wet conditions anything can happen. There is more of a possibility that he could run into a backmarker or even do something himself. And even if he is leading the race, there might be some more exciting racing happening behind him.

It's Elementary my dear Watson
Old 05-20-2004, 08:51 AM
Supreme Fan

Schumacher dominates Thursday practice
Monaco GP - Second practice

BAR Honda pushed hard, but could not match the searing pace set by Michael Schumacher in his all-conquering F2004. The Ferrari star set the pace in both of today’s two one-hour practice sessions, dominating proceedings and recording a best lap of 1:14.741, half a second faster than last year’s pole position time.

Rubens Barrichello got his F2004 up to speed to record the third fastest time, six-tenths of a second adrift, but perhaps it was Anthony Davidson who was the star of Thursday practice at Monte Carlo as he split the dominant Ferraris in his BAR Honda to take the second fastest time.

The action was fast and furious from the outset with an initial battle for supremacy between BAR Honda test driver Davidson and Michael Schumacher generating the most interest before Kimi Raikkonen took over at the head of the timesheets after 11 minutes in his McLaren Mercedes. The battle between Schumacher and Davidson would shortly resume.

Jarno Trulli was the first driver to better Michael Schumacher’s time of 1:16.502s set in the first practice session, as the Renault driver moved fastest 15 minutes of the session with a lap of 1:16.494s.

The time would not stand long as Fernando Alonso became the first driver to break into the 75-second bracket, lapping in 1:15.701s, half a second shy of lat year’s Pole Position time. Jenson Button took the fastest time, 35-minutes into the session and soon after Davidson piped Button by two-tenths.

With ten-minutes remaining, Michael Schumacher emerged from the pits, immediately fastest in sector one, sector two and then overall. A 1:14.741s lap resulted and the opposition had been simply blown away. It should be noted however that Davidson recorded the fastest first sector of the lap soon afterwards, but was unable to maintain the pace for the whole lap and had to be content with second place.

Regular BAR racers Jenson Button and Takuma Sato recorded the six and seventh fastest times, but even at this early stage of the weekend, it is clear that Ferrari and BAR are the teams to beat at Monte Carlo.

Jarno Trulli and Fernando Alonso took the fourth and ninth fastest times respectively in their R24s, while Kimi Raikkonen ended the day in a confidence-building fifth position. McLaren Mercedes team-mate David Coulthard was 11th fastest.

Ricardo Zonta continued to show the way to ‘team-mates’ Cristiano da Matta and Olivier Panis. The Brazilian test driver set the eighth fastest time with da Matta and Panis 13th and 15th respectively.

Juan Pablo Montoya was just tenth fastest in the lead BMW Williams while Ralf Schumacher was back in action with a fresh BMW V10 following his engine problems earlier today. The under-pressure German will lose ten positions on the grid for Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix as a result and was just 12th fastest today.

Giancarlo Fisichella was 14th in his Sauber Petronas with team-mate Felipe Massa back in a distant 17th amongst the Ford runners. The Ford Cosworth brigade of Jordan, Minardi and Jaguar suffered a torrid day with the nine Ford runners running consistently at the tail of the timesheets.

Giorgio Pantano took the award for the fastest Ford runner in his Jordan, lapping half a second clear of team-mate Nick Heidfeld to take 16th ahead of Massa, Jordan tester Timo Glock and Heidfeld.

Over at Jaguar Racing, the day continued to be a disaster. Test driver Bjorn Wirdheim clipped the barriers exiting the tunnel before he had even set a lap time, pitted and was not seen again. Mark Webber did not even head out onto track following his engine fire earlier today and Christian Klien put his R5 into the barrier at Casino after 15 laps.

Three Jaguar’s out before the mid-point of practice session two but at least the team had one R5 ahead of the Minardi trio of Gianmaria Bruni, Zsolt Baumgartner and Bas Leinders.

The F1 circus takes a day off on Friday, with practice and qualification resuming on Saturday. As things stand, only a mistake from Michael Schumacher will give the BAR Honda drivers a chance for glory.

P. No Driver Team - Engine Tyres Times Ave/Gaps Laps
1. 1 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari B 1'14"741 160.876 Km/h 24
2. 35 DAVIDSON BAR Honda M 1'15"141 + 0'00"400 32
3. 2 BARRICHELLO Ferrari B 1'15"319 + 0'00"578 27
4. 7 TRULLI Renault M 1'15"472 + 0'00"731 28
5. 6 RAIKKONEN McLaren Mercedes M 1'15"479 + 0'00"738 14
6. 9 BUTTON BAR Honda M 1'15"520 + 0'00"779 30
7. 10 SATO BAR Honda M 1'15"664 + 0'00"923 23
8. 38 ZONTA Toyota M 1'15"690 + 0'00"949 34
9. 8 ALONSO Renault M 1'15"701 + 0'00"960 28
10. 3 MONTOYA Williams BMW M 1'16"097 + 0'01"356 29
11. 5 COULTHARD McLaren Mercedes M 1'16"229 + 0'01"488 16