Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Master Fan

Favorite Sports Commercials

This topic came to mind after watching the brilliant marketing campaign Nike is running right now. I’m referring to the “Just Do It” commercial, in which they envision superstar athletes playing, and succeeding in, different sports. Brian Urlacher and Michael Vick playing hockey? Lance Armstrong a heavyweight fighter? Andre Agassi playing for the Boston Red Sox? Marion Jones a gymnast? Serena Williams a beach volleyball player? This commercial is just so innovative and effective. It’s one of the best ads Nike has come out with in a while, and the reason why they are the leaders in sports marketing. With that said, what are some of your favorite/most memorable sports commercials? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Here are some others that come to mind:
[*] MJ-Bird McDonald’s commercial: "Off the backboard, over the scoreboard, through the rafters...nothing but net." [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
[*] Tiger Woods Nike golf: This commercial is off the hook! I’m talking about the one where he acrobatically bounces a golf ball on his club and then proceeds to complete a drive all in one motion. The ironic thing is that Nike hadn’t originally envisioned this, but rather it was conceived when they saw Tiger goofing around.
[*] Nike’s synchronized dribbling: Remember this one? It was a basketball version of “Stomp,” with ballers like Jason Williams, Rafer Alston, and others performing acrobatic moves to the same tempo. Talk about sweet!
[*] Gatorade’s “Be Like Mike” campaign: Who could ever forget the lyrics to that theme song? “Sometimes I dream that he is me. You’ve got to see that’s how I dream to be. I dream I move, I dream I groove. Like Mike. If I could be like Mike.” [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
[*] Lil’ Penny: Ah, I loved these commercials! They were aired back in the day when Anfernee Hardaway was a legit All-Star, who was considered to be the next MJ. I loved how Lil’ Penny would hit on Tyra Banks all the time. Bwah! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
[*] Reebok’s “Dan vs. Dave”: I thought these commercials were a nice buildup to their competition/rivalry leading up to the 1992 Summer Games. Both athletes eventually flopped, but Reebok milked their journey for all it was worth.
[*] ESPN Sportscenter: They have had too many classic ones to mention. I think my favorite was the spoof of Kerry Strug being carried after her injury in the 1996 Summer Games.
[*] Nike’s Mars Blackmon/MJ shoe commercials: “Yo MONEY, it’s gotta be the shoes”. Spike Lee’s depiction of this character really helped sell Air Jordans back in the late 80’s-early 90’s. Those ads were classic!
[*]"Chicks dig the long ball!": Nike did a great job of captializing off the revitilization of baseball following the great HR campaign in '98 with this ad.

[ 03-09-2004: Message edited Chi159 ]
Old 03-09-2004, 01:35 PM
MST Manager

Ah, Kathie. You are bringing back the memories from back in the day, yo! Are we old? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Oh, I used to love the MJ-Bird McDonald's commercial, and all the Lil' Penny ones, too. Hilarious! Those just served my Penny love even more at that time.

But, seriously, I think you picked one of my personal favorites of all time when you mentioned Gatorade's "Be Like Mike" campaign.

*sigh*

Still, the best catch phrase.

Ever.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Total Fan

All of those are gems!

I also liked three recently:
  • Ali Returns: Ali vs Ali, Ali jogging with other Adidas athletes, etc; great work!
  • Michael vs Michael: Best Gatorate commercial ever. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
  • Reebok's All Sport: I just made that title up, no idea what the campaign was actually called. It aired a month or two ago, with each of Reebok's represented sports shown with the top athlete (i.e. Iverson for hoops).
Old 03-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

The Be Like Mike Gatorade ads - Who doesn`t want to be like Mike?

The Sportscenter commericals - Those are always very funny.

The Baseball Tonight commericals where Karl Ravich, Peter Grammons, Harold Reynolds, and Dave Campbell reenacted scenes from famous baseball movies - Those were hilarous, especially one of the Bull Durham ones where Peter Grammons dressed in drag. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

The new Nike ad - Katie Brian Urlacher would make a great Blackhawk.

The old Miller Lite ads where various athletics debated whether Miller Lite tasted great or was less filling.

[ 03-09-2004: Message edited Hot Rod ]
Old 03-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Passionate Fan

Have to admit the MJ-Bird was one of my favorites which is surprising since I don't like either player.

I also like the Office Linebacker commercial.
Katiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:02 AM
Total Fan

You mean Terry Tate, Office Linebacker? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2004, 09:57 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Headhunter:
<STRONG>You mean Terry Tate, Office Linebacker? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Yep that's the one!
Katiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:33 AM
Total Fan

Too bad Reebok didn't take out more Super Bowl time this year to give us another serving of Terry. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2004, 01:44 AM
Master Fan

Great mentions! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Terry Tate, Office Linebacker! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I totally forgot about this commercial. It's a good one, though. One of the better Super Bowl ads in recent memory.

Quote:
Originally posted by NikNak:
<STRONG>Ah, Kathie. You are bringing back the memories from back in the day, yo! Are we old? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
</STRONG>
Gah! It looks like it, doesn't it? Most of the commercials I referenced were from the early 90's. I'm starting to show my age. Scaaaaary!
Old 03-12-2004, 03:03 AM
Total Fan

Oh yeah, I also like the ESPN video games/Tracy Morgan spots. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Hot Rod:
<STRONG>

The Baseball Tonight commericals where Karl Ravich, Peter Grammons, Harold Reynolds, and Dave Campbell reenacted scenes from famous baseball movies - Those were hilarous, especially one of the Bull Durham ones where Peter Grammons dressed in drag. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

</STRONG>

ESPN rocks.

Urlacher and Vick in the NHL, that was cool to see.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Hot Rod:
<STRONG>

</STRONG>

ESPN rocks.

Urlacher and Vick in the NHL, that was cool to see.

I loved the old KG/Marbury "tastefully done" commercial for ESPN the magazine heh
Old 03-13-2004, 08:50 AM
Total Fan

Got to get my hands on some of these commercials via the 'Net, some of them never air in Canada. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2004, 03:20 PM
Passionate Fan

Well, i like the Nike's commercials with all the famous soccer players competing inside a boat and Cantona was the referee i think

Innocent Venus ~>Transpose-Team<~ One Piece
Cite Des Anges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Elite Fan

I love seeing the new coke commercial, i don't like coke, but that whole "come get it, i won't even put my bag down" Then kid gets schooled "your mouth looks dry, have a coke" I was like, oh shht.