Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Loyal Fan

Canadian Figure Skating #1 - Past, Present & Future

Canadian Figure Skating - The Past, Present & Future

For years, ice skating has been at the heart of Canadian sport, from Barbara Ann Scott to Joannie Rochette, from Toller Cranston to Patrick Chan, Virtue and Moir and Sale & Pelletier, Canadians have created moments in figure skating history that have transformed the sport and created room for children across the country to become involved in something bigger and better than the rinks that they practice in.

A place to dicuss, share and admire the skaters of the past, present and future of Canadian Figure Skating....

Joannie Rochette

Jamie Sale & David Pelletier

Jessica Dube & Bryce Davison

Patrick Chan

Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir

Karen Magnussen

Kurt Browning

Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje

Bourne & Kraatz

plus many many more......

Old 02-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Dedicated Fan

Great idea!

There was lots of scope in the recent Canadians! I'm interested to see how the National Team does at Worlds results wise. Patrick Chan put down an amazing skate at Nats but hopes to better it at Worlds. Cynthia Phaneuf's SP really impressed me. Her musicality was showcased really well and Myriane Samson's performances were really solid also.
I loved Kirsten Moore-Towers and Dylan Moscovitch and also Paige Lawrence and Rudy Sweigers (I've probably spelt that incorrectly). They brought a different, fun energy to the event!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Dedicated Fan

Great idea, Amelia!

You guys probably all know how I love Joannie- I'm glad she's taking some time off from skating though; she knows best.

..I used to love Sale/Pelletier.. but lost track of them after the Olympic games in 2002.

and I still love PChiddy. He's just so adorable. And pretty good; if not consistent.

(formerly gg_all_da_way) - Liz

Icon by Aly.
WriterLiz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Loyal Fan

Old 02-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Dedicated Fan

I love so many of those programs!!!... actually, probably all of them!

Liz, watching the ladies event from Nationals made me appreciate Joannie's skating a lot more. Just how far she was above the rest of the field.

PChiddy's FS - perfection!!! 2 quads landed brilliantly when you see other competitors in the same event struggling with the easier triples.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by un rêve (View Post)
PChiddy's FS - perfection!!! 2 quads landed brilliantly when you see other competitors in the same event struggling with the easier triples.
It was incredible! Not just the quads, but all of the triples, plus mind-blowing footwork and a program jam-packed with transitions skated at great speed.

After seeing it I thought, "All of the other top men who watch this will be really sweating now" because no one else can deliver a program that includes all of those aspects.

Of course Patrick won't be able to do it every time, either. I think that would be impossible. I hope he can pull it off again at World's!
julie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie27 (View Post)
It was incredible! Not just the quads, but all of the triples, plus mind-blowing footwork and a program jam-packed with transitions skated at great speed.

After seeing it I thought, "All of the other top men who watch this will be really sweating now" because no one else can deliver a program that includes all of those aspects.

Of course Patrick won't be able to do it every time, either. I think that would be impossible. I hope he can pull it off again at World's!
Definitely. If he does a repeat at Worlds it would be utterly amazing!!! And the fact that he improved 30 points on his PB reflects the utter determination and hard work he put in.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Part-Time Fan

PChiddy is awesome.period. (i think anyhow) but although his FD/LP/FS (whatever you prefer to name it as) I dont think, skated as it was at Nationals, would get the same marks, outside Canada.
My personal opinion is they were a little over-inflated.. but idc as i love Patrick <3

ALSO THIS... LOVE THIS!!! LOVE THIS!!! LOVE THIS!!! Miss you Compulsories (R.I.P) Gone but not forgotten..especially when theyare as good as ...see below...

OOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....be awkward then..OSP (original set piece)

Roses are RED, Facebook is BLUE.
27 Mutual FRIENDS, but.. WHO THE HELL ARE YOU!!????
RiverNene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverNene (View Post)
PChiddy is awesome.period. (i think anyhow) but although his FD/LP/FS (whatever you prefer to name it as) I dont think, skated as it was at Nationals, would get the same marks, outside Canada.
My personal opinion is they were a little over-inflated.. but idc as i love Patrick <3

ALSO THIS... LOVE THIS!!! LOVE THIS!!! LOVE THIS!!! Miss you Compulsories (R.I.P) Gone but not forgotten..especially when theyare as good as ...see below...

OOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....be awkward then..OSP (original set piece)

Amen sister!
I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE compulsories!!

I do think that it was maybe a smidgen over marked but hey, I was standing on my feet screaming with the rest of the crowd 30 seconds before he finished and was virtually in tears when they announced the marks. It was ok though, the women next to me were the same

I love that comparason between T/D & V/M. It really highlights how superior V/M's basic skating skills are and how advanced they were at the same age.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverNene (View Post)
I'm not so sure they were inflated. That was really an historic program, quite remarkable in so many ways. It would have scored extremely well outside of Canada, too.

(The criticism of his marks is OTT anyway, IMO. He's such a well-rounded skater that he can earn points in many different ways under the COP system, both TES and PCS. His skating skills and transitions are really second to none. I've seen people point at "falls" to argue that his marks were undeserved, but that's not really a valid argument under COP. He is penalized in points if he falls, but he can still rack up plenty of other points to come up with a good score. ....Sorry, that was not directed at you, RiverNene! - That was just a general rant about the way Patrick gets unfairly dumped on around the Internet. Rant off now!)

I don't think any of his competitors would have been looking at his Nats marks. IMO, they'd be looking at everything he was able to pull off simultaneously - jumps, spins, footwork, mega transitions, speed, with the stamina to keep all of that up through the whole program.

Of course he can't skate perfectly every time, and they all know that, but still, I think it would have been intimidating.
julie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Part-Time Fan

Thank you for starting this thread moncouer! Wow, where to start. So much to discuss. Canadians was seriously awesome this year. Some random highlights for me:

Garret Gosselin (Jr. Men) SP: Where has this boy been hiding? Gorgeous skater. The next Jeff Buttle for sure. He totally bombed his LP (choreo by Jeff B ), but there’s lots of potential!

Purich & Schultz (Jr. Pairs) LP: I was really impressed when I first saw these two on the Skatebuzz coverage of BC Summerskate. Great performance. It’s hard to believe they just started skating together in June. They’re worth keeping an eye on, Natasha in particular. She has nice spring in her jumps and seems quite fearless.

Senior Pairs: All of them. So many different wonderful styles. I think I have officially crossed over into Lawrence & Swiegers uberdom. Although I was gutted for Paige & Rudy about the fall in their LP, I’m very happy that Meagan will be going to Worlds. Her experience at that level will be helpful. It was wonderful to see the camaraderie among the top group. They were all having so much fun and were so supportive of each other. I was also thrilled to see Jones & Gaskell looking much more refined under Lee Barkell, and that Hole & Johnson seem to be making some progress again as Kaleigh adjusts to her new body. They’ll be a striking looking team down the road if they can stick it out.

Harvey & Gagnon SD: The best SD I have seen so far this season. Congrats to them for making the National Team! I heard that they were having financial difficulties and really needed to make the NT to get some funding.

Crone & Poirier FD: Mesmerizing. I don’t think I breathed for the entire 4 minutes. This program is so much better live than on TV.

Alexandra Navarro SP & LP: What a fantastic competition this was for her! Very hopeful that she’ll continue to progress and add the triple loop and lutz to her arsenal.

Patrick Chan LP: What is there to say? Simply amazing. The evolution of the Canadian male skater is now complete. We’ve had jumpers, we’ve had artists, and now we have the whole package. And there’s still room for growth, particularly in improving the fluidity in his upper body and arms, and fixing those starfish hands.

Shawn Sawyer SP & LP: He was on fire!!! So happy to see him landing clean triple axels. Annie, Sophie and Yvan were all at the boards for him, and they were so intense, almost like they were willing him to skate well.

One of my all time favourite programs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterLiz88 (View Post)
You guys probably all know how I love Joannie- I'm glad she's taking some time off from skating though; she knows best.
She's on the cover of the latest Reader's Digest. I spotted it at the grocery store this afternoon and of course had to buy it!
BigBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Dedicated Fan

I was very impressed by Harvey and Gagnon's SD. They really achieved the character and feel for the dance and the whole program composition suited them so well. I was really happy for them, that they could deliver that performance in front of a 'home crowd' (I realise I'm kind of grouping the entire province of BC here).

Shawn Sawyer was really on his game. His performances were so strong. The best part for me however was to see how pleased he was with his own performance. It's great when you can tell the skater enjoyed what they did and he was right on point. His characterisation of the Mad Hatter was done to a tee.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Loyal Fan

Love Swiegers & Lawrence's EX this year! It is so them

Old 02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
It's great when you can tell the skater enjoyed what they did and he was right on point
This. I hadn't watched any of Alissa's performances before, but read an article and decided to look up this performance.

Her face as she finished was amazing. She really did an amazing job!

ETA- I can't find this anywhere on the internet, does anyone know where I could find Joannie's Olympic Press Conference online?

(formerly gg_all_da_way) - Liz

Icon by Aly.

Last edited by WriterLiz88; 02-04-2011 at 05:26 PM
WriterLiz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:19 PM
MST Manager

Thanks for starting this thread here at Sports. I've added it to our thread guide listing.