Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2015, 03:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

OUAT General Discussion #1: Rumple is our dark one.

Season 1
And they lived happily ever after...or so everyone was led to believe. Emma Swan knows how to take care of herself. She's a 28-year-old
bail bondsperson who's been on her own ever since she was abandoned as a baby. But when Henry -- the son she gave up years ago --
finds her, everything changes. Henry is now 10 years old and in desperate need of Emma's help. He believes that Emma actually comes
from an alternate world and is Snow White and Prince Charming's missing daughter. According to his book of fairytales, they sent her away
to protect her from the Evil Queen's curse, which trapped the characters of fairytale world forever, frozen in time, and brought them
into our modern world.

Season 2
Reality and myth begin to merge as the fairytale characters awaken from Evil Queen Regina's broken curse and remember who they were.
But to their dismay, they aren't transported back to fairytale land. To make matters worse, Rumplestiltskin - aka Mr. Gold - in an effort
to gain the upper hand in his power struggle with Regina, has introduced magic into the town. In fairytales magic has its place, but in our
world it can have unfathomable consequences. Meanwhile, back in the fairytale land, Prince Phillip awakens his sleeping beauty, Aurora,
but discovers that he and his traveling companion, Mulan, will soon have to face a deadly foe.

Season 3
As Emma, Mary Margaret, David, Regina, Mr. Gold and Hook enter Neverland to search for a kidnapped Henry, they're greeted by a school
of not-too-friendly mermaids who threaten to end their search before it begins; Henry finds himself on the run from the Lost Boys with
another escapee from Peter Pan's encampment; and Neal, recovering from his wounds, travels through the Enchanted Forest with Mulan in an
attempt to learn the fates of Emma and Henry.

Season 4
A scared and confused Elsa finds herself in Storybrooke and, fearful of the intentions of its residents, creates a powerful snow monster for
protection. With Robin Hood's wife, Maid Marian, back in the picture, Regina wonders if her “happily ever after” with the former thief has
been completely quashed; while on their honeymoon, Mr. Gold finds an intriguing object that makes him question whether or not he should
officially give Belle control over the dagger that makes him The Dark One, and Hook is dismayed to discover that Emma seems to be
avoiding him while she tries to help comfort Regina after being the one responsible for bringing Marian back from the past and into
Storybrooke. Meanwhile, in Arendelle of the past, as Elsa’s sister Anna’s wedding to Kristoff nears, Anna discovers that their parents – who
died on-ship during a violent storm – were heading to a mysterious destination in a quest that may have held the secret to containing Elsa’s
out of control Ice powers. And against Elsa’s wishes, Anna wants to finish their journey to find out what they were looking for.

Season 5
Immediately after becoming the Dark One, Emma disappears and the heroes must band together to save her, but first they have to find
her, which will require the help of an unlikely ally. Meanwhile, in the Enchanted Forest, Emma struggles to resist her dark urges as she searches
for Merlin in the hope that he can stop her transformation. Along the way to Camelot, she gets help from the plucky and brave warrior princess
Merida, as well as King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table.

Season 6
Just when it looks like Storybrooke can enjoy some peace, once more it is threatened by dark forces. The malevolent Mr. Hyde, now separated from Dr. Jekyll,
has arrived and brought his fellow inhabitants from the Land of Untold Stories. To make matters worse, Regina's dark half - the Evil Queen - continues to exist
despite her heart being crushed; unburdened by a conscience, the Evil Queen has declared war on the heroes and separates Snow and David by placing a sleeping
curse on their shared heart. Meanwhile, Aladdin's past as the previous Savior becomes a new factor in Emma's role as the current Savior, and is about to be
pushed to the limits, which could lead her to a future that has no happy ending for her, while Gold must deal with trying to win Belle's heart again so they can be
a family for their future child. Later on, the Black Fairy abducts Gideon, the son of Gold and Belle, which further complicates things for Storybrooke's residents.
As Emma, Regina, and an alternate universe version of Robin Hood return to Storybrooke, Gideon arrives now a grown man, and is revealed to be the one fated to
kill Emma. The events lead to the Black Fairy, the creator of the Dark Curse, who is also controlling Gideon with his heart, crossing over into Storybrooke, as the
ongoing war between light and darkness ultimately leads to the Final Battle that was prophesied before the casting of the original Dark Curse.

Season 7
The residents of the Enchanted Forest face their greatest challenge yet as The Evil Queen, Captain Hook and Rumplestiltskin join forces with a grown-up Henry Mills
and his daughter, Lucy, on an epic quest to bring hope to their world and ours. New fairy tale characters and old search for true love, find adventure and take sides in
the ongoing struggle of good against evil.

Last edited by crazy_diamond; 12-18-2017 at 05:34 AM
sourburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

TFTNT Jade

Have to say S5 is turning out great so far

crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

Added all the synopsis
Old 11-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Master Fan

I'm loving S5 so much!

RoseBennett
confessor_meggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I miss Rumple as an Impish Dark one...he was funny....with his Dearies and cackles... Emma... she isn't funny at all as the Dark One
Make Them Laugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:15 PM
Master Fan

She's scary but I did love when she rolled her eyes when Rumple stop pulling the sword to get all romantic with Belle

RoseBennett
confessor_meggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Dave at least we get to see Imp Rumple in Camelot, he does crack me up

Jade, thanks so much for doing that

Old 11-22-2015, 11:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

You're welcome
Old 11-22-2015, 02:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

The transition of Rumple over those 5 years and you could say the 300 before that..

I wonder who holds for him now though, it is one of the biggest tests for him...

Old 11-24-2015, 09:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Laugh (View Post)
I miss Rumple as an Impish Dark one...he was funny....with his Dearies and cackles... Emma... she isn't funny at all as the Dark One
I agree! I miss him as the Dark One too.
a fine mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:31 AM
Obsessed Fan

I apologize in advance for the long critical rant of OUAT this season.

I'm sort of half and half on this season. There are some things I have enjoyed and some things I have been incredibly underwhelmed by.

I mean bottom line I have found myself bored by Emma's overall story this arc when I thought it would be really fascinating. I haven't really enjoyed Emma as the Dark Swan like I enjoyed watching Rumple as the DO. I think the wardrobe, make up and personality choices for the Dark Swan were pretty uninspired decisions.

Not to mention that IMO two episodes this arc were pretty much wasted to showcase the Arthur/Guin/Lancelot love triangle that was incredibly boring and the Merida/Mulan/Red adventure that I think was only interesting to Brave fans. Both episodes could have been used to drive story forward for the mains.

I also feel that it was a mistake that this show that was originally about families has seemed to have lost itself. Emma's whole Dark Swan story is way more about her romance than her parents or son. In fact she pretty hasn't interacted with her parents all season and only significantly with Henry for one episode.

I have always rooted for Emma but this season I'm not. That's not because she is a dark character but instead because of her story this arc.

Even when this show hasn't featured much Rumple or Belle I have always enjoyed that the show plays up the importance of family. But given that the show has seemed to have lost that this season I find myself genuinely considering stop watching and only watching the future Rumple and Belle scenes on YouTube.

It's also unfortunately that Robert is featured a lot less this arc than previous season. I still think this show gives him enough stability and fun acting opportunities that he'll stick with it until it ends. However Rumple's story being so far in the background takes a lot of enjoyment away from the show.

I have enjoyed that Belle has been a greater part of the story overall and 5x06 was of course wonderful. I have also really enjoyed Merlin and his story. But these are small parts of the story to enjoy when I am bored with the rest.

I'll have to see how this arc ends but at this point I'm 50/50 on whether I will wait around and watch 5B.

Sorry for the rant. I'll go now.
koodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

I love this series, my only criticism though is that there is a huge lack of all other characters. :/
Old 11-24-2015, 02:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

I must admit that the last couple of episodes have left me a bit 'oh is that it' mode, but on the whole I have enjoyed this season much better than the last one...

But yes OUAT has a huge issue of not spreading the scenes evenly between characters, they are, atm, stuck on two which is going against what a programme maker should do...they have to know that their audience is not stuck on two characters. That's the main grip I have at the moment...they were doing well in the first few episodes, it's just the last 3 where it has been lacking...

Yeah I am hoping Rumple is coming front and centre in the last 2 episodes of the first half of the season, because he is at the centre of it all, he is the main character and when you have an amazing actor in Robert, you put him on screen more than what they are doing now....

Sorry went on longer than I thought there

Old 11-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by koodles (View Post)
I mean bottom line I have found myself bored by Emma's overall story this arc when I thought it would be really fascinating. I haven't really enjoyed Emma as the Dark Swan like I enjoyed watching Rumple as the DO. I think the wardrobe, make up and personality choices for the Dark Swan were pretty uninspired decisions.

I also feel that it was a mistake that this show that was originally about families has seemed to have lost itself. Emma's whole Dark Swan story is way more about her romance than her parents or son. In fact she pretty hasn't interacted with her parents all season and only significantly with Henry for one episode.

I have always rooted for Emma but this season I'm not. That's not because she is a dark character but instead because of her story this arc.
I think Emma's actually pretty chilling as the DO, but yeah, this.. It really bugs me that her arc seems to be almost all about Hook, even though there are other people in her life. That just doesn't seem right.. In fact, I sometimes feel like this story is more about Hook than Emma.

Quote:
Even when this show hasn't featured much Rumple or Belle I have always enjoyed that the show plays up the importance of family. But given that the show has seemed to have lost that this season I find myself genuinely considering stop watching and only watching the future Rumple and Belle scenes on YouTube.
To be completely honest, that's what I'm already doing. I live outside the US so I can't watch the show live. And even if I could, I probably wouldn't. I can't stand Hook, and aside from Rumple and Belle I'm just not invested enough in the other characters.

Quote:
It's also unfortunately that Robert is featured a lot less this arc than previous season. I still think this show gives him enough stability and fun acting opportunities that he'll stick with it until it ends. However Rumple's story being so far in the background takes a lot of enjoyment away from the show.
I read rumours at the beginning of the season that Robert had actually asked for a lighter filming schedule for himself (for 5a) because he's been so busy with OUAT and the Barney Thomson stuff that he hasn't had much time to rest. These are of course just rumours and they may not be even true..

But yes, I agree with you.

Quote:
I have enjoyed that Belle has been a greater part of the story overall and 5x06 was of course wonderful. I have also really enjoyed Merlin and his story. But these are small parts of the story to enjoy when I am bored with the rest.
Yeah, I feel like Belle has had more screen time this season than she usually has, which is great. I've also really enjoyed all the Rumple and Rumbelle stuff we've got so far, although there hasn't been enough of them. And I do like Merlin, and even Merida actually. The rest not so much, obviously.

In general, I think this season 5 has been more enjoyable than s4, but that's largely due to the lack of major angst in Rumbelle's arc and them being in a healthier place than before.. And because I find this new version of Rumple much more lovable than S4 Rumple.

icon by me
Seamstress90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:59 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_diamond (View Post)
I must admit that the last couple of episodes have left me a bit 'oh is that it' mode, but on the whole I have enjoyed this season much better than the last one...

But yes OUAT has a huge issue of not spreading the scenes evenly between characters, they are, atm, stuck on two which is going against what a programme maker should do...they have to know that their audience is not stuck on two characters. That's the main grip I have at the moment...they were doing well in the first few episodes, it's just the last 3 where it has been lacking...

Yeah I am hoping Rumple is coming front and centre in the last 2 episodes of the first half of the season, because he is at the centre of it all, he is the main character and when you have an amazing actor in Robert, you put him on screen more than what they are doing now....

Sorry went on longer than I thought there
I mean Robert is only an multi-award winning (and even more nominations) actor. Of course he should have more screen time.

I know those charts that measure the screen time of all the actors aren't really accurate because they don't really measure the "quality" of the screen time. But still the most recent chart showed that Robert has had less screen time this season than all of the other regular cast members. I mean ALL of them. Even Bex despite how much it feels like Zelena's role is very minimal. It's just ridiculous.

So yeah Robert has been kept VERY much in the background this arc and it's a true shame. Like I said before it's definitely taken much of the enjoyment out of the show for me.

Hopefully they set up something in the midseason finale that indicates that both the Rumple and Rumbelle stories will continue with more depth and screen time next arc. Otherwise I'm afraid I'm bowing out of watching further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamstress90 (View Post)
I think Emma's actually pretty chilling as the DO, but yeah, this.. It really bugs me that her arc seems to be almost all about Hook, even though there are other people in her life. That just doesn't seem right.. In fact, I sometimes feel like this story is more about Hook than Emma.
Yeah...sadly have to agree with you on the bolded.

I'm not super anti-Hook or anti-CS. I was actually really enjoying CS and Hook in 4B but the way the story has unfolded this arc my emotions about the couple have ranged from bored to annoyed. And I respect Hook a lot less as a character.

And yes the way the story is structured it feels like this Dark Swan story is more about Hook than Emma. And basically not about her relationship with her parents at all and only a very little bit about her relationship with her son. The only episode I truly enjoyed watching Emma as the Dark Swan was 5x05 when the story was about Emma/Henry.

Quote:
I read rumours at the beginning of the season that Robert had actually asked for a lighter filming schedule for himself (for 5a) because he's been so busy with OUAT and the Barney Thomson stuff that he hasn't had much time to rest. These are of course just rumours and they may not be even true..

But yes, I agree with you.
Hmmmm...I hadn't heard this rumor. Might be true.

But then again sooooo many rumors spread about Robert and this show. Last season continuous rumors spread that Robert wanted to leave the show and the storyline of S4 was setting up Rumple's death. Instead Rumple lived and Robert confirmed over the summer in several interviews that he enjoys being on OUAT, anticipates it will go on for several more years, and is happy about that.

Last edited by koodles; 11-24-2015 at 03:13 PM
koodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread