Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Once Upon A Time Episode Discussion 5x14 "Devil's Due"

5x14: Devil´s Due
March 20th, 2016 @ 8:00 p.m. Eastern

Description:

GOLD FINDS MOTIVATION TO HELP EMMA RESCUE HOOK AS HADES BEGINS TO UNLEASH HIS FURY ON THE HEROES, ON ABC’S “ONCE UPON A TIME”

Greg Germann Guest Stars as Hades, Victoria Smurfit as Cruella De Viland, Rachel Shelley as Milah

“Devil’s Due” — Hook’s captivity takes a dark turn when Hades threatens to condemn him to the River of Lost Souls after Hook refuses to choose which three of his friends will have to remain in the Underworld. Meanwhile, Gold is suddenly eager to help Emma, Snow, David, Regina, Robin and Henry find Hook so he can return home to Belle; but in order to do so, he must find his ex-wife Milah in the Underworld and ask for her help. In Fairy Tale Land flashbacks, Rumple and Milah face a life-or-death crisis concerning their son, Baelfire, that forces Rumple to make a deal that will haunt him, on “Once Upon a Time,” SUNDAY, MARCH 20 (8:00–9:00 p.m. EDT) on the ABC Television Network.

“Once Upon a Time” stars Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White/Mary Margaret, Jennifer Morrison as Emma Swan, Lana Parrilla as the Evil Queen/Regina, Josh Dallas as Prince Charming/David, Emilie de Ravin as Belle, Colin O’Donoghue as Hook, Jared S. Gilmore as Henry Mills, Sean Maguire as Robin Hood, Rebecca Mader as the Wicked Witch/Zelena and Robert Carlyle as Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold..

PROMO:

RULES:
+ Some of you may not like everything about the episode. Please try to be constructive when you are criticizing something.
+ Do not insult characters/actors. Please stay positive.
+ Respect each other's ships.
+ Enjoy!

Last edited by crazy_diamond; 04-02-2016 at 04:20 AM
crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for starting. Lots of Rumple.
*Stephie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

No problem

It's Rumple day
Old 03-20-2016, 02:07 PM
Elite Fan

Really looking forward to this one! And a bit nervous, too..

icon by me
Seamstress90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:15 PM
Extreme Fan

Okay, I've seen it. Anyone else?

I'm already seeing Rumple hate, totally unwarranted in my opinion, on the Facebook group I follow, so I'll stick to the friendly forum. So far, I haven't seen Rumple hate on the OUAT Forum and I'm surprised. I'm sure it'll turn up.

So....there is a Rumbelle baby! But, oh no, Rumple's a victim of his own kind of deals. I just can't get over how nothing, nothing, nothing goes right for our guy.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:15 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnki (View Post)
Okay, I've seen it. Anyone else?

I'm already seeing Rumple hate, totally unwarranted in my opinion, on the Facebook group I follow, so I'll stick to the friendly forum. So far, I haven't seen Rumple hate on the OUAT Forum and I'm surprised. I'm sure it'll turn up.

So....there is a Rumbelle baby! But, oh no, Rumple's a victim of his own kind of deals. I just can't get over how nothing, nothing, nothing goes right for our guy.
Up and down this whole episode. What is with Adam and Eddie that they can't have Rumple follow through. I don't feel sorry for Milah at all. The witch was drinking and flirting with Hook when her son was lying on his deathbed and her poor husband was bullied into killing a man! Rumple made that deal so he wouldn't be a monster in his son's eyes! He didn't think Milah would want another child with him and all of a sudden, she wants another child with him? That woman makes me sick!

Also, why didn't she apologize for abusing Rumple at all!

Emma is also in the dog house with me. Why didn't she tell Rumple and Henry first off about Neal and not the woman who abandoned and neglected him?

Hook's sacrifice comment? Give me a break!

Rumple a slave again. I hope he can rescue Milah as well even if I don't think she deserves anything.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:24 PM
Obsessed Fan

Sooooo...because it was a Rumple episode, I caved and watched at least some of it online.

First I'll say some nice things.

The absolute best part of this episode for me was the brief subplot of Regina finding Daniel's grave with Snow. That moment Regina had at his grave actually had me in tears. I'm really glad this episode included something genuinely nice and hopeful for viewers who aren't CS shippers. Regina and StableQueen feels!

Second nice thing. As always Robert is an acting genius. We got him playing Spinner Rumple, FTL DO Rumple and present day Rumple doing good things and doing evil things. And Robert just killed it.

As for the rest...I mean what can I say? Obviously I'm very disappointed.

I mean despite how much I dislike Milha, I always considered Rumple murdering her to be the worst thing he has ever done. I had a small amount of hope (no idea why I bother ) that he would help Milha pass on as part of his redemption. So watching him condemn Milha to a fate worse than death after that lovely talk they had in the boat (props to Rachel Kelly for making me cry with her amazing acting in that scene) just to cover his own ass was devastating. I was so shocked but given that this was a JE episode and she has a record of character assassination in everything she writes I don't know why I was surprised.

I mean I guess the one saving grace is that unlike his actions in 4A, Rumple was genuinely remorseful for what he did instead of gloating about it like Hades wanted him too. But then again in that same scene, Rumple was ready for Hades to send him back to SB and abandon Henry in the UW.

This show just keeps showing Rumple do one devastating thing after another. He just keeps making a mockery of the sacrifice Neal made for him. The other characters get to move on and redeem themselves but the writers just keep dragging Rumple back with barely any excuse for his actions. No hope and barely any reason to root for him as a character anymore.

Frankly it's just bad and depressing writing.

And poor Belle...
Old 03-20-2016, 09:20 PM
Extreme Fan

I was looking forward to watching this episode because it was a Rumple-centric but I recorded it and waited for the reviews. Is there any reason for watching it now?

It doesn't seem like the writers have any interest in reinvigorating the great character that they created in Seasons 1-3. He was such a nuanced character originally, but they seem really commited to teling the story of how he goes darker and darker despite having more things to look forward to (Belle, a new child, Henry).

The problem is that there isn't any other character in the show that I'm realy interested in watching. I enjoyed Snow & Charming but they're not as well used as in the past either. I loved Neal but he's dead. I used to like Emma but I feel like she's hit the Mary Sue level.

I enjoyed Robin but he hasn't had a major storyline at all. Hook has become a major Marty Sue since the first season he was in the show. So Emma & Hook is like watching a Mary Sue/Marty Sue combo.

I really enjoyed Henry but he's become much less significant to the show as it's gone on.

I already had tuned out after last season until my son started to get into it and wanted to watch it with me. That's the only thing that got me watching it again after 4A.

I had a similar experience with the other show that I came to fanforum for. After the first few seasons it just got painful, and my favorite character was assasinated to prop up another couple. He still got his happy ending in the end, but it was so unsatisfying by the end of it. I got to the point where I stopped watching and only watched X's scenes on youtube. I think it is its own kind of misery to love something so much and have to watch it deteriorate. It's like divorcing a tv show or something.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace52373 (View Post)
Up and down this whole episode. What is with Adam and Eddie that they can't have Rumple follow through. I don't feel sorry for Milah at all. The witch was drinking and flirting with Hook when her son was lying on his deathbed and her poor husband was bullied into killing a man! Rumple made that deal so he wouldn't be a monster in his son's eyes! He didn't think Milah would want another child with him and all of a sudden, she wants another child with him? That woman makes me sick!

Also, why didn't she apologize for abusing Rumple at all!

Emma is also in the dog house with me. Why didn't she tell Rumple and Henry first off about Neal and not the woman who abandoned and neglected him?

Hook's sacrifice comment? Give me a break!

Rumple a slave again. I hope he can rescue Milah as well even if I don't think she deserves anything.

Yeah, I was talking about the Rumple hate, the people were saying how awful it was that Rumple sacrificed a nonexistent child to save the one actually alive and gravely ill! This was my response:

I still have no sympathy for Milah. She told Rumple to murder someone if necessary and sent him in when obviously he's not up to the job of overtaking a big guy like that if something went wrong. If that was her solution, then she should have put it upon herself to do it, she had more chance of success. And, yes, compromising a future child they might have was bad, but he was saving the child they did have in the best way he possibly could! She seemed to ignore the fact that he saved Bae without committing murder and most likely ruining all of their lives in the process.

Koodles, I know Henry is Rumple's grandson and there's been a lot of flack about his apparent disregard for Henry, but, honestly, I don't know how I feel about that. Yes, he's his grandson, his only tie to Baelfire, but there has never been much emotional connection between the two. Finding out Henry was his grandson really didn't change their relationship at all. He's always been kind to Henry, but he's known him as Regina's son for most of his life, as his grandson for only, what, maybe two years. Does that excuse his potential abandoning of Henry? No, but I'm just not sure that Henry is high in his thoughts when he's making his plans. His concern, first and foremost, is always Belle.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:46 PM
Obsessed Fan

Amomentintime, sadly IMO, there is no reason to watch this show anymore is you aren't a CS shipper. Their's is the only continuous SL that has a running "romantic" and hopeful story. All the other couples have a nonexistent story or are continuously tortured through depressing and sloppy writing.

The only positive thing I can see for this arc if you aren't a CS shipper, is that Regina finally has a compelling SL again. I didn't watch 5x12 but I heard great things and I loved Regina's brief subplot in this episode.

For some reason I'm not able to paste links but I advise reading Matt Mitovich's review/recap of 5x14. He calls the writers out on the sloppiness of Rumple's regression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnki (View Post)
Yeah, I was talking about the Rumple hate, the people were saying how awful it was that Rumple sacrificed a nonexistent child to save the one actually alive and gravely ill! This was my response:

I still have no sympathy for Milah. She told Rumple to murder someone if necessary and sent him in when obviously he's not up to the job of overtaking a big guy like that if something went wrong. If that was her solution, then she should have put it upon herself to do it, she had more chance of success. And, yes, compromising a future child they might have was bad, but he was saving the child they did have in the best way he possibly could! She seemed to ignore the fact that he saved Bae without committing murder and most likely ruining all of their lives in the process.
ITA!

I've been seeing that ridiculousness online and it just shows the immaturity of Rumple haters. I get hating on Rumple for the present day stuff but in the flashbacks he did right by his son.

And I don't buy Milha whining as if she wanted more children. Nothing will convince me that she wanted another child. She abandoned her first child and never looked back until after she died!

And by all evidence Milha and Hook could have had children and in the roughly 10 years they were together they didn't sooooo....

Quote:
Koodles, I know Henry is Rumple's grandson and there's been a lot of flack about his apparent disregard for Henry, but, honestly, I don't know how I feel about that. Yes, he's his grandson, his only tie to Baelfire, but there has never been much emotional connection between the two. Finding out Henry was his grandson really didn't change their relationship at all. He's always been kind to Henry, but he's known him as Regina's son for most of his life, as his grandson for only, what, maybe two years. Does that excuse his potential abandoning of Henry? No, but I'm just not sure that Henry is high in his thoughts when he's making his plans. His concern, first and foremost, is always Belle.
I can see where you're coming from but at least IMO, Rumple should do everything he can to protect Henry in order to honor Neal. There's really no excuse for him not doing that.

Plus Henry has actually been a pretty good grandson this season. He defended Rumple and believed in him and tried to find a way to protect him from DO Hook. Plus he was the one who called Belle to convince her to come back to SB. I think Henry is doing his part to further their relationship along and it's very sad that Rumple doesn't seem to care.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:04 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by koodles (View Post)
Amomentintime, sadly IMO, there is no reason to watch this show anymore is you aren't a CS shipper. Their's is the only continuous SL that has a running "romantic" and hopeful story. All the other couples have a nonexistent story or are continuously tortured through depressing and sloppy writing.

The only positive thing I can see for this arc if you aren't a CS shipper, is that Regina finally has a compelling SL again. I didn't watch 5x12 but I heard great things and I loved Regina's brief subplot in this episode.

For some reason I'm not able to paste links but I advise reading Matt Mitovich's review/recap of 5x14. He calls the writers out on the sloppiness of Rumple's regression.

ITA!

I've been seeing that ridiculousness online and it just shows the immaturity of Rumple haters. I get hating on Rumple for the present day stuff but in the flashbacks he did right by his son.

And I don't buy Milha whining as if she wanted more children. Nothing will convince me that she wanted another child. She abandoned her first child and never looked back until after she died!

And by all evidence Milha and Hook could have had children and in the roughly 10 years they were together they didn't sooooo....

I can see where you're coming from but at least IMO, Rumple should do everything he can to protect Henry in order to honor Neal. There's really no excuse for him not doing that.

Plus Henry has actually been a pretty good grandson this season. He defended Rumple and believed in him and tried to find a way to protect him from DO Hook. Plus he was the one who called Belle to convince her to come back to SB. I think Henry is doing his part to further their relationship along and it's very sad that Rumple doesn't seem to care.
I didn't get that he was going to abandon them because he looked surprised that all of them couldn't leave and he was surprised by the tombstones as well. Also didn't Hades threaten to kill them all? Was I watching a different show?
Old 03-20-2016, 10:18 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace52373 (View Post)
I didn't get that he was going to abandon them because he looked surprised that all of them couldn't leave and he was surprised by the tombstones as well. Also didn't Hades threaten to kill them all? Was I watching a different show?
You're correct that Hades did threaten to kill everyone if Rumple didn't go through with it. But at the end of the episode Rumple came to Hades and demanded to be sent back to SB immediately as per their deal...so right there he was abandoning all the other characters including Henry.

But the writing is sooooooo sloppy. In that scene they had Rumple expressing remorse of what he did to Milha and saying he would never do anything like that again. Then five seconds later he tries to collect on the deal that included him abandoning the other characters in the UW and returning to SB alone.

It makes no sense!

And on that note, I think I'm done commenting on the current OUAT happenings. I'll probably cave in and watch an episode down the line that I've heard might have some Rumbelle positivity but I am far less hopeful about that now. I already regret having watched this poorly written episode despite RC's great acting.

Oh well. Nice discussing with you all.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:31 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Well what a humdinger rollercoaster of an episode that was!!

Right let’s get my head around this..

- Hades, I’m liking your snark a lot…
- So Pan has now disappeared, wonder where he has gone and Rumple is cooking up something, oooooo…
- Love the Rumple entrance and the snarkfest to the “heroes”. Aww he wants to get back to Belle
- Milah, I hate that , always have and always will for what she put Rumple and Bae through
- at the intro that Rumple made between Milah and Emma, that was brilliant
- Great convo I thought between Regina and Cruella at the diner, oh dear Bambi’s mother
- See Milah you would want Rumple to go into a fight with a knife and kill someone and give him blacklash while telling him to do it
- Aww lovely moment of Regina saying goodbye to Daniel..
- Rumple/Hades showdown…..great scene and snark, Rumple was making himself at home…
- Now Milah, I got to admit I thought that was justice to what happened to her. All that crap she did to Bae and Rumple, particularly not giving a stuff about Bae.
- Hook, pity you got away from the Lost Souls river
- Oh the deal is made between the Healer and Rumple, why do I get a bad feeling about this…
- BELLE IS PREGNANT, BELLE IS PREGNANT!!! and oh my
- HADES knew!!, he knew all along and basically had Rumple in the palm of his hand and working his deals
- Now Rumple works for HADES!! , oh blimey . Rumple you can find a loophole, find it for you, your wife and your baba

And now I’m getting some alcohol!, everything he did from the start of this episode was for Belle and his unborn child..
Old 03-21-2016, 06:12 AM
Master Fan

Alcohol is definitely needed, what a rollercoaster last night.
Rachel nailed it, and so did Greg. Amazing acting the whole episode just a pleasure to watch on that side.
Loved Regina's subplot, and the goodbye to Daniel was so sweet

I'm also done with Emma, not telling Rumple about Neal's fate but telling aMilah is just pointlessly cruel even if she doesn't like him at all, she was there when Bae died, she owed at least to him to put his father at peace about what happened to him. Not to mention she involuntarily set this whole mess into motion, if he knew he wouldn't have to look for Bae and discover Belle's pregnant and going mad about getting back to save his second child.

The only thing I really didn't like for Rumple was offing Milan again. I detest the woman but there were other options, like taking her memories or explain to her why he had to do what he had to do. At least he could have tried, but he acted in a rush and did a horrible thing, regardless of who it was directed at.
Other than that, I don't see how he could make a different choice regarding the boat and regarding the FBs, so I'll just let haters be haters, he looses anyway with them.

Other cons:
-Hook sacrifice speech and the insistence on forgetting WHY he had to do it in the first place
-can Rumbelle have on happy announcemebt? Ever. I couldn't even properly celebrate the Rumbelle baby news grrr

Other pros:
-Cruella is always fantastic to watch and Victoria is just fantastic
-the episode I thought was very well paced and distributed for a centric
-how adorable was it that Belle was having breakfast with Leroy?
-Belle was clearly still exhausted by the 24hrs lovemaking since she went to sleep some more after breakfast, lol.

RoseBennett
confessor_meggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

ITA about Emma meggy, I'm done with here too now, still can't believe she done that

and Hook I wanted to slap him too...

Greg is great as Hades

I'm hoping happy announcements when Rumbelle are finally reunited and get some time together!

Now Rumple has got to plot and plot well to get out of this which I'm sure he will do..
Reply   Post New Thread