Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2018, 03:02 AM
Master Fan

Found one.

Quote:
CBR: Everyone has a role on the show. Does it feel like Iris has emerged as the team’s matriarch?

Candice Patton: For sure. If you think about Iris from Season 1 until now, she’s made a huge leap in terms of her importance and her role on the team. I do think she’s been accepted into the matriarch role of the team. That’s come with her and Barry’s relationship, and then subsequently getting married. He’s the Flash and she’s the wife of the Flash. They lead the team in that sense.

After getting a taste of superpowers this season, why was it important for Iris to go back to her journalistic roots?

I think it’s fun. I’ve always said I’d like to be a superhero on the show, just for the fans and myself. Iris is one of the few characters that is truly human, who is brave and heroic in her own ways without having superpowers. If everyone on the show ends up with superpowers, it becomes a different show. It becomes Legends of Tomorrow. We already have that show. It’s important on The Flash to keep some of the human aspects like with Iris and Joe (Jesse L. Martin). Iris has proven herself over the seasons of just being heroic without the powers, of being a great journalist, of being brave and being calm in the face of danger. It’s always been important to keep her in that lane.

On a series like The Flash, are you a believer that the pen can be mightier than the proverbial sword?

Yeah, I would like to believe that. We haven’t really delved into that a lot over the last few seasons with Iris being an on-and-off journalist. I hope that’s something we can continue to explore in the coming seasons. It’s a tricky thing for Iris to be a reporter and deal with S.T.A.R Labs. I don’t know how the writers will handle it, but I hope they can figure it out in a way to make her reporting important to the storyline and helping Team Flash.

This year, Iris outed DeVoe in a blog…

It was interesting on the writers’ part. Fans seem really excited that Iris is getting back to her roots. That all kind of started with her being a superhero and her realizing why she is on this Earth. She realizes while it’s fun to be a superhero, that’s not her calling. That is Barry’s calling. It reminded her of what her really calling is, which is to be a journalist. It’s exciting to see her get back into what makes her want to get up in the morning.

As a wordsmith, is that why Iris was the right person to hunt down Marlize (Kim Engelbrecht)? Iris presents a pretty convincing argument.

As we’ve said, Iris is a journalist. She’s really great with her words, but she’s also good at verbalizing her words, her feelings and expressing things. I think that’s why she makes such a great team leader. Everyone is so analytical, and she is the heart. She can speak truth to power and motivate everyone. We saw that in the last episode with Marlize. Iris has a really fantastic way with words and galvanizing everyone. I think that will help ending the season, with recruiting Marlize on our team to help stop DeVoe.

Iris never sits on the sidelines. Where do we find her while Barry confronts DeVoe?

She’s right there alongside him. We will introduce this interesting concept where Barry tries to enter the mind of DeVoe, to find DeVoe’s good side, and help defeat him. The team is alongside him, with Iris there, too. It speaks to the title of the episode, which is “We Are The Flash.” It’s a team effort and this theme we have been playing with all season.

Why do you feel viewers have become obsessed with the identity of the Mystery Girl?

Well, there hasn’t been a lot of her and there hasn’t been a lot of story there. I think people are curious and interested and they know we wouldn’t continue to put someone on the show for no reason. People are naturally very curious to what her role is and how it will play out.

It developed over time, but we knew early on who her character would be and how it would eventually unfold this season. I’m still curious to how it’s going to look for next season. There should be some really great stuff for Iris to play with, and for Barry as well.

Iris had plenty to do in Season 4. In what way did all that activity rekindle some of your creative juices when it came to the character?

It’s been a good season. The last two seasons, the writers have done an excellent job of trying to write more for Iris. It’s been exciting this season, especially getting to be a superhero, having this big wedding and being part of this crossover — I think it’s been a long time coming. It’s been frustrating for fans of the show. But, it’s getting there. I think there’s a lot more room to go. For me as an actor, it’s definitely more stimulating on set when I have something to do and I am contributing to the storyline.

Even though some audiences found last year quite dark, Iris was instrumental to the Savitar arc.

I enjoyed it, too. I know a lot of people did think it was dark. I think we can have both. We can have seasons of darkness and seasons of humor and lightness, and a little bit of both. I enjoyed last season. It plays into my natural affinity for drama. I also enjoyed this season of doing more comedic bits. But, I did like Savitar. He was a good villain. I was happy that Iris was integral in saving herself.

The next logical step for Iris could involve a baby. How would you feel going down that path? What would that add to the Iris/Barry dynamic?

I don’t know. I don’t know if we will see Iris pregnant for a very long time. But, that doesn’t mean we won’t potentially see children of Barry and Iris.
The Flash’s Candice Patton Details Season Finale Showdown with DeVoe
Philanthropist.

You can take away my house, all my tricks and toys, but one thing you can't take away – I am IRON MAN.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:31 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 05-29-2018, 04:34 AM
Master Fan

You're welcome!
Philanthropist.

You can take away my house, all my tricks and toys, but one thing you can't take away – I am IRON MAN.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:45 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Nice to get something.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 05-30-2018, 11:20 AM
Master Fan

This will be sure to be good too!
Philanthropist.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Leigh Tumblr
Old 06-01-2018, 10:58 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
If you watch The Flash, then you're probably familiar with the talented Candice Patton. While the 29-year-old is known for her fierce onscreen persona, Iris West-Allen, she's just as inspiring off screen. When she's not filming the hit CW series, the actress is using her voice to empower young women through the campaign Shethority, which she created with her fellow Arrowverse costars.

Since we're such big fans of the actress, we're super excited that her next project will be with us. Candice will be hanging out with POPSUGAR for our weekend-long festival, POPSUGAR Play/Ground. On Sunday, June 10, she'll join her fellow CW stars Vanessa Morgan and Ashleigh Murray for a panel. If you want to get up close and personal with the star, we suggest buying your tickets now. In the meantime, learn even more about the star through her exclusive interview with POPSUGAR below.

POPSUGAR: What is one thing that has influenced your career today?

Candice Patton: My family, for sure. My mom and my dad [have] always been extremely supportive of me following my dreams and doing what I love. I know a lot of people don't have that luxury of having parents that support that, especially when you're trying to go into the arts. I've been extremely lucky in them pushing me to stay in the business even when it was difficult and hard because they knew it was what I love to do. My dad has always said that [if] you find something you love to do, you'll never work a day in your life. They've always kind of pushed me to follow my dreams rather than to follow money or to follow something that was easy. I think that's part of why I'm successful. I did what I love and I kept doing it.

PS: What advice would you give your 22-year-old self?

CP: In my 20s, I wanted everything so bad. I wanted success and love and the whole package right away, but there's something very powerful about adversity and failing. I think one of the greatest things that's ever happened to me is not having things when I wanted them. It taught me perseverance and strength, and by the time I did have my career and my success, I was extremely grateful for it.

PS: What talent or passion have you been able to use in your career in an unexpected way?

CP: Being a feminist and being a role model to a lot of young women is something that has been unexpected. Caity [Lotz] and I created this thing called Shethority to give back to a lot of our young fans and empower young women to use their voice. It's something that's really important to both of us.

PS: What does finding your happy mean to you? Do you feel like you've found it?

CP: I'm learning as I get older [that happiness] is contentment. The grass is always greener, and I'm always going to want more. I'm always going to want another job, or a better car, or a bigger holiday. So for me, to just be content exactly where I am with everything that I have is what true happiness is.

PS: What would you say is your happy place?

CP: I'm definitely here now in Texas. My mom and dad are here, my brother, my niece, my nephew, and my dog are here. It's just very normal to me. It reminds me of growing up, and everyone here is so Texan and so friendly. People say "please" and "thank you" and "hi, how are you?" I don't wear makeup, I don't dress up or look fancy, I just feel normal.

PS: What is your most prized possession?

CP: My puppy, Zoë. She just turned a year old, and she's changed my life. I can't really remember what it was like before her. I take her to work with me every day. I, like a lot of actors, have anxiety, so she is kind of this place of calm for me. She travels with me everywhere back and forth to LA, to Texas, to work, she comes to the set with me. She loves me no matter what.

PS: What is your favourite splurge?

CP: Definitely electronics. If it's new and cool, I have to have it, whether it's a robotic vacuum cleaner or a new gaming system.

PS: What is your guilty pleasure?

CP: Potato chips. I can't even bring them in the house. I discovered some when I was in Canada, where I shoot the show, called Old Dutch Gourmet. They're almost like a Ruffles potato chip, but thick and not too salty. It's like the perfect chip.

PS: What is your favourite healthy food?

CP: I really like acai bowls with fruit and sometimes bee pollen. I also really love juicing. The first thing I bought when I got my first check on The Flash was a $600 juicer.
x
Philanthropist.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks

Leigh Tumblr
Old 06-02-2018, 12:38 PM
Master Fan

You're welcome.
Philanthropist.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Need more.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 06-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Master Fan

Philanthropist.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:56 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks

Leigh Tumblr
Old 06-09-2018, 09:21 AM
Master Fan

You're welcome.
Philanthropist.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Always love getting articles.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 06-11-2018, 12:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
The CW is full of inspiring leading ladies, and The Flash's Iris West-Allen is no different. While we can't get enough of her relationship with Barry Allen (aka the Flash himself), Iris is a superhero in her own right. Aside from being a hard-working journalist, this past season we've really seen Iris step up as a leader as she has become a vital member of Team Flash.

Since we're so obsessed with Iris, we're extremely excited that the actress who plays her, Candice Patton, will be hanging out with POPSUGAR this Summer for our weekend-long festival, POPSUGAR Play/Ground. On Sunday, June 10, she'll be trading Central City for NYC as she joins fellow CW stars Vanessa Morgan and Ashleigh Murray for a panel. Ahead of the event, we had a chance to talk with Patton about everything from her inspiring character to the beloved "West-Allen" romance. See what she had to say below before you purchase your tickets to Play/Ground.

POPSUGAR: The Flash dropped some big news during the season four finale. What was your reaction when you found out that Barry and Iris's daughter was joining the show?

Candice Patton: I think we found out very, very early on. I think I may have found out during our last hiatus, actually.

PS: Oh, wow.

CP: Yeah. So I've known for a very long time that that was going to happen. But I think we're all excited for something new, and to add to Team Flash, especially the West-Allen family.

PS: Barry and Iris are one of the most beloved couples on The CW. What is your favorite part about their relationship?

CP: I love that their relationship isn't really questioned, you know? They have a pretty solid thing going. I mean, it took them awhile to get together, but I think once they got together, it's been a respected and respectful relationship, and they have people around them that love them and support them. And I don't know, they're kind of — they're destiny. I mean, they've always been destiny, it feels like. We've been hinting at it since the very first episode.

PS: What would you say has been the most exciting episode to work on this season?

CP: Well, for me personally, obviously, when Iris [becomes a speedster], because it was something so different than what I've done in other episodes. Getting to suit up and kind of bear the brunt of the work for one episode was really, really fun. I got to see kind of what Grant [Gustin] through goes through every episode.

PS: This season specifically, we've really seen Iris step up as a leader for Team Flash, not just when she suited up as a speedster, but working behind the scenes, which I think is really important for young girls to see. What is it like playing a character that so many fans, especially young girls, look up to?

CP: It's great. I know how important this character is for a lot of girls and boys, but especially young girls and young women of color. It's really, really empowering for me, too, because this is a show and a character that I would've loved when I was a child and would've looked up to. So I think the more agency Iris has as a leader with Team Flash and, hopefully, next season, becoming a reporter, and being a superhero this season, she just is becoming more and more a role model every single episode.

PS: How would you say that you relate or differ from Iris?

CP: That's a good question. She definitely has her stuff together way more than I do, let's just say that. She's really decisive and knows how to make a decision, which I am terrible at. I mean, I'm just way more of a hot mess than she is, clearly. But I think that's why I love playing her. She kind of makes me feel powerful and empowered in my own life, to kind of get my stuff together.

PS: What do you hope for your character next season?

CP: I would love to see Iris kind of away from Team Flash a little more, doing her own thing, especially reporting and being a journalist. And I am really hoping that there's a lot more heart in the show. The West-Allen family, our daughter, all of those dynamics will be really very interesting.
What Candice Patton Loves Most About Barry and Iris's Relationship on The Flash: "They're Destiny"
Philanthropist.