Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Mid-Season TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2021, 07:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

So I was editing/posting a scene in GDT tonight and I started crying over Walter and Ralph.

Don't misunderstand I'm not like "omg I am such a good writer " more like "my ultimate weakness is this dynamic and literally anything involving them that isn't depressing is bound to get the waterworks started."
so baby, run away with me.
WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

There are so few really good Father/Son relationships on TV. Most of them are at the very least conflicted, or they are emotionally detached or at worst they are downright hostile. Much of that reflects our society, which dictates that men - and boys - are supposed to keep their emotions in check. I know that is changing, but the entertainment media seems to have a hard time with it.

Of course, in Scorpion, we had the whole gamut - emotionally detached with Walter/Sean, Walter/Cabe and Ralph/Drew. Somewhat hostile with Sly and his father and I suspect Toby's relationship with his father was somewhere between detached and hostile. But Ralph/Walter reflects a lot that Father/Son relationships should be. Walter, who is normally so uncomfortable with his emotions, is able to show genuine love for Ralph. He is also able to teach Ralph everything he knows, while allowing Ralph the freedom to follow his own interests.

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes! And you still sometimes get conflict, but at the heart of it is a dynamic that simply loves each other, which is the foundation that those other relationships struggle to have, except for Walter/Cabe, but coincidentally that was the next healthiest father/son dynamic on the show.
so baby, run away with me.
WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Even the healthiest, most loving family relationship is going to have conflict at times - especially when it's parent / child. But even at Ralph and Walter's tensest moments, you could still see the underlying love there.

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top