Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2017, 03:16 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
Toby may be a wise-cracking clown with almost no filters, but he's got a huge heart. Considering all he's been through, that's really amazing.
Yes! The other geniuses - particularly Walter and Happy - wear the emotional scars of their difficult childhoods openly, but Toby and Sylvester use their childhood experiences as examples of how not to treat other people and find it much easier to show how much they care about others.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone139 (View Post)
Yes! The other geniuses - particularly Walter and Happy - wear the emotional scars of their difficult childhoods openly, but Toby and Sylvester use their childhood experiences as examples of how not to treat other people and find it much easier to show how much they care about others.
That's an interesting contrast. Wonder what the factor is that makes them see their difficulties in a different light?

~Heidi
Old 12-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't think it's any one factor, I think it largely depends on circumstances.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'd like to think that even if Toby's mother sometimes said unkind things, that she actually loved him very much and found ways to let him know. Or that she was able to do that before she got too sick. So that maybe it's those early memories that inspired his own desire to find a way to help her, as well as the incredible compassion he has for people who are experiencing emotional trauma.

~Heidi
Old 12-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I'd like to think that even if Toby's mother sometimes said unkind things, that she actually loved him very much and found ways to let him know. Or that she was able to do that before she got too sick. So that maybe it's those early memories that inspired his own desire to find a way to help her, as well as the incredible compassion he has for people who are experiencing emotional trauma.
Even if he didn't realise it at the time, once he'd become an expert in psychiatry he must have been able to look back and realise how much his mother loved him.

It's interesting that he tries to cover his compassion with the wisecracks and sarcasm. I suppose it's his coping mechanism?
Old 12-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The wisecracks and sarcasm could be covers for a couple of things. One - as you say - his compassion. Toby has spent most of his life involved with people who one can kindly term a "rough crowd". Keeping his softer side hidden would be a survival thing. I also think he does it to avoid being hurt. If people know you care about something - they can hurt you with it. I suspect his dad and his dad's "associates" may have done a bit of that. So Toby learned to act like he doesn't care about anything and can make fun of anything.

~Heidi
Old 12-10-2017, 04:12 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
The wisecracks and sarcasm could be covers for a couple of things. One - as you say - his compassion. Toby has spent most of his life involved with people who one can kindly term a "rough crowd". Keeping his softer side hidden would be a survival thing. I also think he does it to avoid being hurt. If people know you care about something - they can hurt you with it. I suspect his dad and his dad's "associates" may have done a bit of that. So Toby learned to act like he doesn't care about anything and can make fun of anything.
That's very true. It's the people who hide how they feel about people or situations that are often the ones who care about them the most, but it's safer to hide it than risk getting hurt. He took a huge risk with Happy, because that could have blown up in his face, but I guess he knew how she felt before she knew herself.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
That's very true. It's the people who hide how they feel about people or situations that are often the ones who care about them the most, but it's safer to hide it than risk getting hurt. He took a huge risk with Happy, because that could have blown up in his face, but I guess he knew how she felt before she knew herself.
With Toby, as much as he tries to avoid getting hurt, he still really needs and wants someone to love who will love him back. So he's driven to try, despite the risk.

~Heidi
Old 12-15-2017, 11:07 AM
Absolute Fan

I love how he demonstrates his compassion for others, often just in subtle ways, like the look on his face when the little dog's owner was telling Paige about how much she loved her dog and what it would mean to lose him. He was busy on his tablet, but he stopped to listen to her emotional outpouring.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:39 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I love how he demonstrates his compassion for others, often just in subtle ways, like the look on his face when the little dog's owner was telling Paige about how much she loved her dog and what it would mean to lose him. He was busy on his tablet, but he stopped to listen to her emotional outpouring.
Yes! I noticed that too! Toby’s compassion for others is definitely one of the reasons he’s my favorite character.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Toby's compassion still surprises just a little bit. Not that I don't expect him to have compassion - I know he does - but mostly I expect Toby to be the jokester. So when he sets that aside and shows how deeply he cares, it's always just a bit of a nice surprise.

~Heidi
Old 12-17-2017, 01:27 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Toby's compassion still surprises just a little bit. Not that I don't expect him to have compassion - I know he does - but mostly I expect Toby to be the jokester. So when he sets that aside and shows how deeply he cares, it's always just a bit of a nice surprise.
I think that's what makes it extra special. When Paige shows compassion for someone in trouble it's not unexpected, so while it's lovely to see her being kind to others, it doesn't pack the same emotional punch as when Toby does it. Or Walter, for that matter.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:12 AM
Absolute Fan

I don't know where to start with how much I loved Toby (and alternate-Toby too) in the Xmas ep! I could write paragraphs here about him, but I won't...yet. I think I may have a problem!
Old 12-24-2017, 04:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I find it interesting that the alternate Toby was a bit like his nemesis - Quincy Berkstead. Basically a pop-culture psychiatrist. And yet, once he's off the stage, the basic decency he has comes out.

~Heidi
Old 12-25-2017, 03:38 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I find it interesting that the alternate Toby was a bit like his nemesis - Quincy Berkstead. Basically a pop-culture psychiatrist. And yet, once he's off the stage, the basic decency he has comes out.
Yes! The essence of Toby was there underneath, the same with all the characters in Walter's dream. I loved how Walter imagined Toby calming him down in the dream, because despite their bickering and Toby's habit of deliberately pushing Walter's buttons, Walter knows that he needs Toby to keep him calm. Paige plays a similar, but different role. Without Toby in his life I'm sure Walter would have got himself in a lot of trouble over the years!