Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2017, 05:42 PM
Loyal Fan

Toby (Tobias) Curtis / Eddie Kaye Thomas Appreciation Thread #2 - Because now he's a happily married man

Toby (Tobias) Curtis / Eddie Kaye Thomas Appreciation Thread

** Supporters **
1. WeBuiltThePyramids
2. FoxPhile
3. What's a hickey?
4. Just A Dream
5. KeepThisaSecret
6. *OldHollywoodStarlet*
7. FauxDetective
8. JMRamos
9. Cyclone139

** Previous Threads **
Toby (Tobias) Curtis / Eddie Kaye Thomas Appreciation Thread #1 - Because he's the Behaviourist {31-Aug-2015}

Last edited by FauxDetective; 09-19-2017 at 07:40 AM
Old 09-04-2017, 07:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT, Stef!

Old 09-06-2017, 04:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT! You did an awesome job.

~Heidi
Old 09-06-2017, 09:06 PM
Loyal Fan

Thank you for the title, Heidi!
Old 09-16-2017, 07:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

So I was talking about season one with someone today, and honestly one of my favorite moments from the whole season was when Toby was trying to find out about Drew and came up to him where he was staying pretending that his cat was lost in the area. I don't even have to watch it - all I have to do is think about his "will you drive me around the neighborhood to look for Sprinkles?" and I literally laugh out loud.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:08 PM
Loyal Fan

That was a great scene. That whole episode was a lot of fun, actually. I might need to rewatch that one while I wait for the new season.

Something occurred to me while I was rewatching Something Borrowed, Something Blew. Toby said that his wedding tux was the same one he wore to his prom, but in the episode where Ralph was making a time capsule, we were told that he was still a little boy when he graduated from high school. I know the writers wanted to get the American Pie reference in there, but it seems very unlikely he would have attended prom, let alone have worn that tux.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh gosh you're right, I didn't even think about that.

Toby's utter disdain for Drew is one of my favorite things. He's like "hell no to the jock deadbeat dad." I also crack up at "come on, Babe Ruth, take a peach!"

Old 09-17-2017, 11:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I love that Toby is, in general, the one who let's his real opinions fly.

I hadn't thought about the tux thing either. I'm pretty sure they don't have proms at many colleges and certainly not at med school. Maybe when he was 17-ish he was dating a high school girl and it was actually her prom?

~Heidi
Old 09-17-2017, 02:03 PM
Loyal Fan

I love that Toby is so protective of the people he cares about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
Maybe when he was 17-ish he was dating a high school girl and it was actually her prom?
He told Walter he went stag. Maybe he just crashed a prom?
Old 09-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxDetective (View Post)
I love that Toby is so protective of the people he cares about.
Me too. One of my favourite non-Quintis Toby moments is so brief you could almost miss it, but in It Isn't The Fall That Kills You when Paige is in tears after what she's had to say/do to save Walter and he just asks her if she's OK, it's so sweet.

Toby gets all the best lines, too. "We covered this in medical school. Falling thousands of feet without a parachute is bad for your health." "Did you say 'hi' to the chimney sweep on your way to the cobbler?" "With great responsibilities comes great wedgies!"
Old 09-17-2017, 03:42 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone139 (View Post)
Me too. One of my favourite non-Quintis Toby moments is so brief you could almost miss it, but in It Isn't The Fall That Kills You when Paige is in tears after what she's had to say/do to save Walter and he just asks her if she's OK, it's so sweet.

Toby gets all the best lines, too. "We covered this in medical school. Falling thousands of feet without a parachute is bad for your health." "Did you say 'hi' to the chimney sweep on your way to the cobbler?" "With great responsibilities comes great wedgies!"
Yes! I love Toby and Paige's friendship so much! I wasn't crazy about season 3 as a whole, but the continued development of that relationship was one thing that I felt was extremely well done.

Another moment last season that I thought was really underrated was in Keep it in Check Mate when Toby went to check on Cabe after Patrick's arrest. Toby knew Cabe would be beating himself up and he wanted to make sure he knew how important he was to everyone on the team. It was such a sweet, heartwarming moment.

Eddie is so much fun to watch because he is just as skillful with these subtle emotional scenes as he is with the witty lines and big comedic moments.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

One that I always find funny now that we've seen so much of the show was when he and Happy were off to get the airport's old data system in the pilot and he says "tell the waitress I'll be right back." Because like...there is zero Toby/Paige flirting or implications at all through every single other episode but in the pilot Toby just has that moment where he's like "oh hope she doesn't miss me!" And I believe that was ad-libbed too, because in the commentary for the pilot they mentioned occasionally ad-libbing and Eddie asked "did 'tell the waitress I'll be right back' make it in?"

Old 09-17-2017, 04:13 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
One that I always find funny now that we've seen so much of the show was when he and Happy were off to get the airport's old data system in the pilot and he says "tell the waitress I'll be right back." Because like...there is zero Toby/Paige flirting or implications at all through every single other episode but in the pilot Toby just has that moment where he's like "oh hope she doesn't miss me!" And I believe that was ad-libbed too, because in the commentary for the pilot they mentioned occasionally ad-libbing and Eddie asked "did 'tell the waitress I'll be right back' make it in?"
That's why I almost never rewatch a show's pilot episode. The character's personalities and relationships are never consistent with the rest of the series.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxDetective (View Post)
That's why I almost never rewatch a show's pilot episode. The character's personalities and relationships are never consistent with the rest of the series.
Usually I feel this way too. Sometimes the entire first season - or a good part of it - the characters are somehow different. But for me, Scorpion's pilot is the exception. I see so much of the foundation of each character's personality and backstory. Yes, they are a little underdeveloped and they don't have the fine-tuning they have now, but I feel that most of them are, in the pilot, the essence of the characters they will develop into.

~Heidi
Old 09-18-2017, 02:40 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
Usually I feel this way too. Sometimes the entire first season - or a good part of it - the characters are somehow different. But for me, Scorpion's pilot is the exception. I see so much of the foundation of each character's personality and backstory. Yes, they are a little underdeveloped and they don't have the fine-tuning they have now, but I feel that most of them are, in the pilot, the essence of the characters they will develop into.
I think it's an excellent pilot episode. I'm usually not a fan of pilots for the same reasons that you've stated already, but you can tell that a lot of work went into creating the characters and their backstories before filming. The characters are all there, fully formed and wonderful.

The only moment in the pilot that really annoys me is when Toby manages to wipe the vital data off the drive by putting it too close to the magnet in the speaker. He's a genius, he should have known that would happen! And even if he momentarily forgot, Happy should have known! Apart from that, it's a brilliant episode and I re-watch it regularly.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread