Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2015, 06:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
Hoping for some good Quintis moments tomorrow!
Yes please. Give me SOME reason to smile.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:26 AM
Loyal Fan

I really loved all the scenes between Happy and Toby in Arrivals & Departures. They worked so well together and after having so many episodes where Toby helps Happy in her area of expertise, it was fun to see Happy helping out in Toby's. I thought it was very telling that in the final scene, after a very difficult day, they were sitting so close together. Despite the status of their romantic relationship being very much up in the air, they are still best friends and turn to each other for comfort.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxDetective (View Post)
I really loved all the scenes between Happy and Toby in Arrivals & Departures. They worked so well together and after having so many episodes where Toby helps Happy in her area of expertise, it was fun to see Happy helping out in Toby's. I thought it was very telling that in the final scene, after a very difficult day, they were sitting so close together. Despite the status of their romantic relationship being very much up in the air, they are still best friends and turn to each other for comfort.
Completely agree. I was hoping for some good Quintis scenes and we certainly got them. It nearly tore my heart out when Happy collapsed and you could see how torn Toby was - he wanted so badly to go to her, but he realized he needed to work to save everyone - and that little baby.

~Heidi
Old 11-26-2015, 07:13 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Completely agree. I was hoping for some good Quintis scenes and we certainly got them. It nearly tore my heart out when Happy collapsed and you could see how torn Toby was - he wanted so badly to go to her, but he realized he needed to work to save everyone - and that little baby.
Yeah, I loved that part. As much as he wanted to stay with her, he knew that he couldn't really do much to help her, but he could save that baby. Happy seems like someone who would respect that decision and I think in the long term it could work in his favor with her. Plus she's always been impressed when he takes charge and shows off his medical skills.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah, I agree, and I like how the show has shown that - like in 2.06, Walter obviously didn't WANT to cut off Toby's oxygen. But it was either they all were definitely going to die, or there was a chance Toby might and everyone else lives, Toby was at risk either way so Walter went with the option that gave him and all of them a better chance. And here, there was literally nothing Toby could do to help Happy, so as much as he wanted to be at her side, he had to focus on the people he could help, even if his help would go for nothing if Cabe/Walter/Ralph/Paige couldn't fix the problem and the baby died, it was still a better shot at success than sitting with Happy and thinking about how much the situation sucked.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This is also a reflection of the difficulty Walter is having, trying to determine when to allow his logic to control his decisions and when to allow his emotions to do it. It seems that, despite also being a genius, Toby has a pretty good handle on that. Still, Walter was either right or lucky in the burning building. He allowed logic to prevail and everything turned out ok. Yet, as Toby pointed out to him, his emotions - his guilt, his ambition - also played a big part in his decision. It's not so much that Walter doesn't understand when to go with logic and when to go with emotion. He doesn't always recognize emotion for what it is.

Sorry if I've drifted into Walter-land in the Happy/Toby thread, but the parallel just struck me.

~Heidi
Old 11-27-2015, 10:32 AM
Loyal Fan

No problem. That's a great parallel. I think Walter still has trouble understanding that a decision can be based on both logic and emotion at the same time. He thinks it's either one or the other. Toby definitely doesn't have a problem understanding this, especially when he steps back from a situation, but in the past, when Happy's been involved, he's often let his emotions win out. For example, unbuckling his seat belt to protect her in the helicopter crash. In this episode, he was clearly worried about her, but knew logically that he could do more good by helping the baby. Definitely shows growth in my opinion, and I think Happy recognized this as well.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm really excited to see how this relationship progresses after the last couple of episodes. Both Happy and Toby have gotten real wake-up calls about how much they care about each other. It will be interesting to see how that affects them.

~Heidi
Old 11-28-2015, 10:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I'm really excited to see how this relationship progresses after the last couple of episodes. Both Happy and Toby have gotten real wake-up calls about how much they care about each other. It will be interesting to see how that affects them.
I have a feeling things will really pick up for them second half. Obviously Melvester is over, Waige will probably continue their current dynamic, which means the intense, let's-amp-up-the-longing seems to be where Quintis is headed. I hope to see a lot from Happy.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
I have a feeling things will really pick up for them second half. Obviously Melvester is over, Waige will probably continue their current dynamic, which means the intense, let's-amp-up-the-longing seems to be where Quintis is headed. I hope to see a lot from Happy.
I completely agree and I can't wait. The little bits of Quintis that we've gotten so far this season have mostly been from Toby's point of view, so I have a feeling the second half of the season we'll find out what Happy's been thinking and feeling. Happy might take a while longer to work up the courage, but I have a feeling that once she takes the leap their relationship will progress pretty quickly. After all, they're already best friends and know each other well.

I know tv writers are often hesitant to have the characters in a relationship so early on because they fear that they'll run out of dramatic situations for them, but these two have so many issues (Toby's gambling addiction, Happy's trust issues, difficult childhoods, etc.) that I think they could have them together and still have a lot of potential storylines to explore.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I seriously hope we get more from Happy's point of view. We've gotten so much from Toby - his ups and downs about pursuing Happy, letting it all go, and now letting their "Might Love Oak" grow naturally. I'd really like to get some idea of what's been going on in Happy's mind all this time.

With this and other shows, I'm beginning to wonder if tv writers even know how to write a female character's POV.

~Heidi
Old 11-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxDetective (View Post)
I completely agree and I can't wait. The little bits of Quintis that we've gotten so far this season have mostly been from Toby's point of view, so I have a feeling the second half of the season we'll find out what Happy's been thinking and feeling. Happy might take a while longer to work up the courage, but I have a feeling that once she takes the leap their relationship will progress pretty quickly. After all, they're already best friends and know each other well.

I know tv writers are often hesitant to have the characters in a relationship so early on because they fear that they'll run out of dramatic situations for them, but these two have so many issues (Toby's gambling addiction, Happy's trust issues, difficult childhoods, etc.) that I think they could have them together and still have a lot of potential storylines to explore.
I hope that once the writers have the couples together, they don't do breakups. I'm so tired of shows being all "they have to work out their own issues first!" but like...in real life, couples can work on their own issues TOGETHER, without breaking up. And there's tons of ways to keep a relationship interesting, people's lives don't end when they get in their endgame relationship, so shows shouldn't always wait and wait and wait. I just want Quintis and Waige to get their acts together and spend the rest of the show navigating all their responsiblities AND personal faults as couples.

I agree that once Happy is ready, it won't take long for them to progress, like you said, they've known each other a long time and already are familiar.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
I hope that once the writers have the couples together, they don't do breakups. I'm so tired of shows being all "they have to work out their own issues first!" but like...in real life, couples can work on their own issues TOGETHER, without breaking up. And there's tons of ways to keep a relationship interesting, people's lives don't end when they get in their endgame relationship, so shows shouldn't always wait and wait and wait. I just want Quintis and Waige to get their acts together and spend the rest of the show navigating all their responsiblities AND personal faults as couples.

I agree that once Happy is ready, it won't take long for them to progress, like you said, they've known each other a long time and already are familiar.
AMEN! I'm so sick of TV relationships that break up and get back together - often multiple times. Everyone has issues. If it wasn't possible to have a relationship without working one's issues out first, then no one would have a relationship! I'd really like to see a tv couple where each of them recognizes - or comes to learn about - the issues the other person has and is supportive and helpful to each other in working on those issues. Not only would it be refreshingly different - but it actually might be a public service. In many ways, Toby and Happy are a great couple to do that. Neither of them are shy about discussing other people's issues, so it would not be surprising if they have a lot of deep conversations. Toby's psychiatric background can bring some legitimacy to the discussions, and also serve as a bit of comic relief - to keep things from getting too heavy - as he attempts to psychoanalyze himself as well as Happy.

~Heidi
Old 11-28-2015, 05:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
AMEN! I'm so sick of TV relationships that break up and get back together - often multiple times. Everyone has issues. If it wasn't possible to have a relationship without working one's issues out first, then no one would have a relationship! I'd really like to see a tv couple where each of them recognizes - or comes to learn about - the issues the other person has and is supportive and helpful to each other in working on those issues. Not only would it be refreshingly different - but it actually might be a public service. In many ways, Toby and Happy are a great couple to do that. Neither of them are shy about discussing other people's issues, so it would not be surprising if they have a lot of deep conversations. Toby's psychiatric background can bring some legitimacy to the discussions, and also serve as a bit of comic relief - to keep things from getting too heavy - as he attempts to psychoanalyze himself as well as Happy.
YES. Both the Scorpion couples would - Waige is essentially already doing that (being mutually supportive and confiding and all that) acting like a total couple just without actually being together yet, and Quintis, yeah, they're already so knowledgeable about each other as best friends and they both talk about other people a lot and they'd be good at communicating with each other (even though Happy will never be nearly as open with anyone else) once they allowed themselves to. It'd be WONDERFUL to see them as a long term couple moving through their many individual issues together, as a committed, mutually supportive couple. It'd be so great to see this show take that route with their couples.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It would be rather ironic. Here are two couples where three of the four people involved are, by their own admission, inept at interpersonal relationships. And they wind up being more mature and communicative than the typical TV couple.

~Heidi
Closed Thread   Post New Thread