Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2020, 03:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

He has such heart and such strength of character.

~Heidi
Old 10-20-2020, 06:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I know there were more interesting characters, more complex characters, characters it was easier to get invested in - but in terms of weighing them as people, I think Sly was the best character.

And honestly, throughout the entire show (and I'm talking main or recurring adult characters here), he's the only one that never made me mad.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I hate to use this word because it's overused, but Sly was relatable. Even though his anxieties were sometimes portrayed a little large for comedy, they still felt real and they felt like the sort of anxieties most people feel at some time or another. His OCD was typical of a lot of people with OCD - odd quirks that can sometimes interfere with life, but are second nature to the person who has them and rarely cause any serious problems. And you're right, he was also the most likeable character. I think he'd been hurt so often in his own life, but rather than striking out because of it, he put a lot of effort and thought into never hurting anyone himself.

~Heidi
Old 10-22-2020, 08:31 AM
Absolute Fan

I agree, they portrayed his OCD very well. Often characters with OCD are used for comic effect, or portrayed as having an extreme case that affects every aspect of their life, but in reality I think most people with OCD are able to manage it and have a normal (sorry for using that word!) life. Sylvester also had the highest EQ of all of the geniuses so he was the most relatable in that sense.

And I agree that he was the one I was most angry with at the end! His behaviour was completely out of character. The others (including Paige) reacted to the situation pretty much how I would have expected them to in the heat of the moment, given what we'd learnt about them over the previous four years.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Of everyone at the end, I think I understand Sly's reaction most. Even if it was irrational of him to think Walter had anything to do with Flo's feelings, that's a common reaction. People don't want to be angry with the person they care about, so they deflect the anger onto the other party. Walter is also the person Sly trusts more than anyone, so any hint of betrayal is magnified for him.

~Heidi
Old 10-23-2020, 01:51 PM
Absolute Fan

That's interesting, Heidi.

I would have thought Sylvester would be the one trying desperately to hold everything (and everyone) together. Yes, I can see why he would take out his feelings about what Florence said on Walter, but I just don't see him to be the first one to quit Scorpion.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Basically, I think he broke in that moment. Most of the time, I agree - Sly would be the one trying hard to keep the team together. We've even seen him do that. But something just snapped within him and all the years of standing by and taking everything life dishes out finally became too much.

~Heidi
Old 10-25-2020, 09:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
Of everyone at the end, I think I understand Sly's reaction most. Even if it was irrational of him to think Walter had anything to do with Flo's feelings, that's a common reaction. People don't want to be angry with the person they care about, so they deflect the anger onto the other party. Walter is also the person Sly trusts more than anyone, so any hint of betrayal is magnified for him.
I agree - especially considering his age. You're not fully mature until you're around 25, and the mental part of his brain had always been stimulated more than emotional. And he was around 25 when the show ended, at least a couple years younger than any other character and 7 years younger than Paige, 8 younger than Walter and Florence, 9 years younger than Toby. (I don't think we ever knew Happy's age, and she's probably the second youngest, but she also wasn't overly involved in all the finale drama so her age isn't super relevant to this specific topic.) Now that's not to say that once you get older the older one will always be more mature - my father is miles beyond his oldest brother and he's 5 years younger. It's also not to say you can't mature once you're past that age. But Sly was a lot closer to - and possibly was even still in - that age range where physically your brain hasn't matured. And Sly was dealing with feeling blindsided, his dead wife was brought into the conversation, and it's entirely possible he left Scorpion because he knew Scorpion was going to leave him and he felt like he had to go first. There has been a lot of discussion about Paige's abandonment issues and how she was possibly looking for a reason to run from her relationship with Walter ("not if I leave you first") and Sly may have in the heat of the moment applied similar logic to the team/his found family.

Old 11-13-2020, 02:42 PM
Absolute Fan

Ari is appearing on a comedy show tonight on an online channel I've never heard of call Twitch TV. The only link I have with info is on Instagram, so I hope this works:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHf_EIPpwLo/
Old 11-15-2020, 04:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It seems that was only available if you watched it live.

~Heidi
Old 11-15-2020, 05:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, Twitch is a livestream service.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:20 PM
Absolute Fan

Ari is also doing a lot of live streams on Instagram lately. I haven't watched any of them.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I haven't either; I love him but I'm not interested in like 99% of what he's up to.

Old 11-16-2020, 03:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Same here. I think I would have enjoyed seeing his Edgar Allen Poe thing if I were in LA.

~Heidi
Old 11-17-2020, 07:57 AM
Absolute Fan

I love Sylvester, of course and I enjoy listening to his Jacuzzi Louis album, but that's definitely where my interest ends!