Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2018, 04:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Great discussion topic, Candy. I've moved your threads into the Season Discussion threads. We try to keep the board from being cluttered with a lot of threads by posting in existing ones whenever possible. If you think a new thread is appropriate, or can't find a thread that fits, it's a good idea to ask the mods before you create a new thread. They can usually point you to the right place - or if something is really new, then you can create your new thread.

The first or opening post (OP) in the Board Guide / Introductions / Rules includes a list of threads with links. So please check that out before creating new threads. Thanks!

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:46 AM
Absolute Fan

Season 1 rewatch finished! Goodness me, I really enjoyed it. First time around I kind of binge watched it (because I knew I was so far behind and I was desperate to catch up), but I think I probably missed some of the details doing it that way. SInce then I've not rewatched the whole season, just my favourite eps in random order.

The two part season finale had me in tears (again) and, as far as the actors' performances go, I would agree that Kat was brilliant in Cliffhanger, as was Elyes.

We definitely saw more of Ralph in the first season than we do now and Cabe was more serious and a little more distant, but then he was only just getting to know the team. It also felt like there was more emphasis on family, with Walter being very protective of the team - recently it's felt like he's constantly bickering with everyone and I know it's mostly played for comedy, but it would be nice for him to reaffirm those sentiments again.

Also I've been reminded of how much I miss Megan.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think one of the scenes that got to me most is when Walter is standing outside Paige's apartment, looking up at her...and Drew . You can just feel his pain in that scene. What follows is hardly surprising given the state of mind he must have been in.

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
I think one of the scenes that got to me most is when Walter is standing outside Paige's apartment, looking up at her...and Drew . You can just feel his pain in that scene. What follows is hardly surprising given the state of mind he must have been in.
That scene hurts even now, to be honest.

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:22 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone139 (View Post)
Season 1 rewatch finished! Goodness me, I really enjoyed it. First time around I kind of binge watched it (because I knew I was so far behind and I was desperate to catch up), but I think I probably missed some of the details doing it that way. SInce then I've not rewatched the whole season, just my favourite eps in random order.

The two part season finale had me in tears (again) and, as far as the actors' performances go, I would agree that Kat was brilliant in Cliffhanger, as was Elyes.

We definitely saw more of Ralph in the first season than we do now and Cabe was more serious and a little more distant, but then he was only just getting to know the team. It also felt like there was more emphasis on family, with Walter being very protective of the team - recently it's felt like he's constantly bickering with everyone and I know it's mostly played for comedy, but it would be nice for him to reaffirm those sentiments again.

Also I've been reminded of how much I miss Megan.

Season #01 had the right tone for Scorpion. Walter, despite his low EQ, was not animated as Scorpion had him be in, say, parts of Season #03. Sometimes, Scorpion—that is, Nick Santora and company—would give the series so much comedic stuff that it could have some wondering if it was in the genre of comedy or drama. A little bit, here and there, was better. Too much of Walter goofiness came after Season #01. I liked down-to-earth Walter—like in “Father’s Day,” when he is no position to insert himself too much in Ralph’s upbringing, because it is Paige, so he delicately approaches giving suggestions or advice. (In that episode, Happy had the best advice for Paige, to the benefit of Ralph, for re-meeting his biological father Drew.)

I find myself reserving re-watching “True Colors” and “Charades”—because of my love for the pairing of Walter and Paige—because they are the most pivotal episodes for both, and they were written by Rob Pearlstein (who may be my favorite writer on Scorpion), and I want to give each my undivided attention when re-watching. (They are the episodes in which one romantically awakens to the other.) So, I do find, with re-watches, I like to go over “Father’s Day” and “Young Hearts Spark Fire” a lot. The latter episode made it clear, by the end, that Walter is in love with Paige. (It his known with his refusal to erase the stick figures, drawn by Toby, of a hearted Walter and Paige. Emmy nominee Mel Danski did a great job directing that episode and that final moment.)

I also have re-watched “Love Boat” a few times. I find myself more and more appreciating Ari Stidham’s performance as Sylvester. He doesn’t let the off-the-wall stuff take away from Sylvester’s personal dignity. The character is a very good person. In “Love Boat,” when he is pretending to be Chaz Bonesteel, and then he becomes the unlikely hero who to the rescue—it was a marvelous outing. I appreciate that episode and Ari Stidham a lot.

The one episode I did not like from Season #01 was “Revenge.” Part of it was that agent trying to seduce Walter. Part of it was Drew trying to renew a romantic relationship with Paige. This episode—which was about the aftermath of Sylvester nearly getting killed by a bomb—felt rather cold. But, it was in between two outstanding episodes, “Talismans” and “Dominoes”; so, perhaps, I can call “Revenge” Filler.

Last edited by Candy83; 01-26-2018 at 06:28 PM
Candy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:34 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
That was at the end of “Crossroads” (S01 E20). “Crossroads” is a really good episode for Jadyn Wong, because Happy is furious that Toby fell asleep prior to and during their scheduled date. In this episode, Scorpion helps to protect an eye witness who, to their surprise, is also a genius.

“Crossroads” came just after “Young Hearts Spark Fire” (S01 E19) and before “Cliffhanger” (S01 E21). So, Walter admitted to Toby—who discovered that Walter erased his board with all images except the hearted Walter and Paige—that he does have romantic feelings for Paige. Toby encourages Walter to step up and let Paige know. And the episode ends with Walter about to do that—until he sees that Paige and Ralph, in their second-floor apartment, are having dinner with Drew. Walter assumes, incorrectly, that there may be reconciliation and stops himself.
Candy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Candy83 - It is a rule that you don't post twice in a row. You may always edit your first post if you'd like to add something.

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread