Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2016, 08:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

REWATCH: 1.17 "Going South" - Air Date 23-Feb-2015

</scorpion> Episode 1.17 Going South

Quote:
TEAM SCORPION HEADS TO MEXICO WHEN A TECH BILLIONAIRE HIRES THEM TO RESCUE HIS KIDNAPPED DAUGHTER, ON “SCORPION,” MONDAY, FEB. 23

“Going South” – Team Scorpion heads to Mexico when a tech billionaire hires them to rescue his kidnapped daughter. Also, feelings are hurt after Walter gives an interview and fails to acknowledge the other members of the team, on SCORPION, Monday, Feb. 23 (9:00- 9:59 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

CHEAT TWEET: #TeamScorpion heads south of the border for a case - ¡Ay, caramba!

2/23 9PM ET/PT @ScorpionCBS #CBS CBS Press Express | TEAM SCORPION HEADS TO MEXICO WHEN A TECH BILLIONAIRE HIRES THEM TO RESCUE HIS KIDNAPPED DAUGHTER, ON “SCORPION,” MONDAY, FEB. 23
Source

Promo * Sneak Peeks * Promo Photos

~Heidi

Last edited by FoxPhile; 04-14-2019 at 02:43 PM
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ah, our first dirty titled episode.

I actually had to reread the press release to remember the specifics of this one. I just remember the Waige and Melvester parts.

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I believe this is also the first episode where Walter meets Richard Elia - and leads to Elia's interest in Walter and Scorpion.

~Heidi
Old 08-14-2016, 05:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
I believe this is also the first episode where Walter meets Richard Elia - and leads to Elia's interest in Walter and Scorpion.
Ugh Elia. He's the human version of menstrual cramps.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
Ugh Elia. He's the human version of menstrual cramps.
I think of him more like constipation.... a pain in the...

~Heidi
Old 08-15-2016, 11:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Well, we both make it very clear we don't like him.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Random Episode Review is "Goin' South" this week.

Going through the previous posts, it's clear we disliked Richard Elia early and eloquently. I still at Nicole's description of him.

~Heidi
Old 04-08-2019, 09:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I didn't even have to scroll back to remember what said description was, I still feel that way.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:38 AM
Absolute Fan

Wow, you really didn't like Richard Elia! I can't say I share your strong feelings, though. I felt his offer to Walter at the end was fair and reasonable and he wasn't pushy at all. He also acknowledged that he had screwed things up with his daughter and he felt guilty about it and was prepared to do whatever it took to get her back. Zoe's reaction when she saw him again after she had been rescued showed she wanted to repair their relationship. In later episodes, Elia did become less likeable, but I think the foundation of his character in this ep was OK.

I don't know if you've read my fic 'Daddy Says' which is set after Sci Hard, so much later canon, but I wanted to address Richard's relationship with Zoe and how it had progressed (or not) since we first met them.

This ep was also the first time, I think, that we saw Walter hurting the team by not thinking about the consequences of his actions. It was heartwarming to see him apologise to everyone at the end and admit he'd made a mistake by not considering their feelings. It was a recurrent theme of course, but it's really frustrating to go back now and watch these early episodes and realise he never really learnt from the fallout of these scenarios - we know how badly things ultimately went wrong because of his continual failings in this area.

Also, I loved how he explained to Sylvester why he was worried about him dating Megan. He acknowledged her eventual passing would be painful (claiming he would be able to cope with it, even though it was obvious even then that he wouldn't ) and, in contrast to the promotional video situation, he absolutely was considering someone else's feelings here - he didn't want Sylvester to get hurt.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I know this is not a favorite for a lot of fans, but I've always liked it. And I agree that Elia wasn't quite as unlikable in this as in later episodes, but the main thing here that makes me dislike him is his assumption that if he throws enough money around, he'll get what he wants. He takes entitlement to a whole new level. I also enjoy watching some of the early interaction between the characters and seeing those friendships unfold.

~Heidi
Old 04-12-2019, 05:37 AM
Absolute Fan

That's true, he did make assumptions that his money would automatically get him what he wanted - Zoe's freedom and Walter - but he didn't come across to me as arrogant. He's probably used to getting what he wants without question - a stereotypical millionaire character trait - but with his daughter in danger I think it humanised his character. In later eps we rarely saw that side of him, although it was still there occasionally.

He did completely miss that Scorpion is Walter's family, not just his company, but I thought once Walter had turned down his offer, Elia accepted his decision with understanding. I think he admired Walter for sticking to his principles, because his were lost somewhere en route to becoming an millionaire.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think Elia admired Walter for a lot of things. I also think he was taken aback when Walter turned him down because it's probably something that never - or hardly ever - happened to him before. There's no question he was sometimes helpful to both Walter and Scorpion, although usually that was because it suited his own aims. I do wish we had seen more of the somewhat humanized Elia that we got in Going South when he was focused on his daughter. I can forgive a man a lot if he's dealing with something like that.

~Heidi
Old 04-12-2019, 06:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, he really only showed that "human" side of him when it had to do with something that impacted him a lot personally. If you're truly a good person, you show that when it's not beneficial to you.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:34 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
Yeah, he really only showed that "human" side of him when it had to do with something that impacted him a lot personally. If you're truly a good person, you show that when it's not beneficial to you.
True. I suppose he was supposed to be a contrast to Walter, to show us what Walter could become if he really wanted to.

Both men have high IQs, but Elia has chosen to apply himself to make him successful in business and filthy rich... but at what (non-financial) cost? When we first met Walter and the others they couldn't even organise themselves to pay their electricity bill on time, or eat, but we know that Walter chooses to use his intelligence to help others for the greater good. Elia seems to be investing in new inventions which he realises could help people in the long run, but it's not quite the same. Walter's not interested in money, or power the way Elia is and of course it makes him a better person.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't think Elia's IQ was anything approaching Walter's. High, yes - perhaps even in the low genius range. But he was obviously more driven to use his intelligence to amass wealth rather than doing anything good for the world.

~Heidi
Reply   Post New Thread