Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2016, 03:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
We may have to elevate you to co-chair of the Paige Studies Department at Scorpion University.
Ralph is the Department Head, who is on my level? Ronnie and Toby?

Here is the link to my dissertation, I know Heidi has already read it.

N i c o l e ~ Tumblr | Podcast | Fanfiction | Twitter
Old 11-27-2016, 03:40 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
Ralph is the Department Head, who is on my level? Ronnie and Toby?

Here is the link to my dissertation, I know Heidi has already read it.
Yes. Walter is also one of the graduate students, but he's currently on an interim. Hopefully he'll resume his studies next semester.

~Heidi
Old 11-27-2016, 03:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yes. Walter is also one of the graduate students, but he's currently on an interim. Hopefully he'll resume his studies next semester.
Hopefully he'll get an internship with the subject that will lead to a permanent position.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:46 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Stef (FauxDetective), pointed out on the Toby thread that 3.09 is the second time that Paige has invoked doctor-patient privilege with Toby before she would open up to him about something. She drew some interesting parallels between the two characters there.

I think it's also a very interesting insight into Paige's character that she feels she needs this guarantee before she will trust someone to divulge bits of her personal life to. We've also seen her be extremely protective of personal stuff - she didn't want anyone to know about Drew at all and she pretty much goes ballistic when she feels they are butting in to her life - not always without justification, but sometimes it seems her reaction is a bit extreme.

I wonder who violated her trust so badly that she feels she needs a guarantee of trust - and without it she keeps so incredibly silent. It's possible that's part of the issue with her mom, but I don't really get that vibe - at least not from the one episode. It feels like Paige's issues with her mom are much more about how much her mom's disappearance hurt her dad - not so much with anything Veronica did directly to her.

Given that she seems to pretty much idolize her dad, it doesn't seem likely that it was him, either. So maybe it was Drew? Or was there someone else that Paige confided in or trusted in only to be betrayed?
I have a completely different take on this. I don't think Paige is private because she doesn't trust people to keep her secrets. I think she just prefers to bury the parts of her life that she's ashamed of.

In Charades, she approached Toby as a psychiatrist, but I don't think that was because of doctor-patient confidentiality. Like I said in the Toby thread, I see that more as her feeling uncomfortable just asking a friend for help. And I don't think she ultimately decided not to tell him about her dream because she didn't trust him - I think she was just embarrassed.

In Mother Load, the reason she didn't want the team to know about Veronica was the same reason, as a little girl, she chose to lie to her friends rather than tell them her mother was in jail - she was ashamed.

And this could also explain her reaction when Drew first showed up. In a way, after Drew left her, she found herself in the same position that her own father did years before. Just as her mother had prioritized pulling cons over being there for her husband and daughter, Drew chose his career over being around for Paige and Ralph. Obviously nothing that Drew did was in any way her fault, but I can see Paige feeling ashamed for allowing Ralph to grow up in a situation even remotely similar to her own childhood. I think she just wanted to put the whole mess behind her so she could focus on creating a better life for her son.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I could see her being ashamed as a driving force as well - though Heidi did point out to me on Tumblr today that she views it as more than Paige being uncomfortable or embarassed, just because she's actively taking steps to avoid her trust from being betrayed, like giving Toby the money and explicitly pointing out that that means he can't tell anyone.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:14 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
I could see her being ashamed as a driving force as well - though Heidi did point out to me on Tumblr today that she views it as more than Paige being uncomfortable or embarassed, just because she's actively taking steps to avoid her trust from being betrayed, like giving Toby the money and explicitly pointing out that that means he can't tell anyone.
It's certainly possible, but we've only seen her pay him or even mention doctor-patient confidentiality once, so I'm not yet convinced that it's evidence of some underlying trust issue.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:20 AM
Elite Fan

Bringing this over here from the Ray thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatFan89 (View Post)
Tonight's Ep, The Old College Try really caused me to miss Ray. He would sure be welcome this season. Soon! That line when he told Paige to make the move on Wally was a heck of a snapback! What happened to that?
We've talked a lot recently about Paige's issues, in part because she's often "allowed" to have issues because she's the "normal" one. In other words, if she has issues or does things that are inappropriate, no one calls her on it because, after all, she's only human and humans do that, right? But if Walter or one of the other geniuses exhibits a similar issue or flaw - it's all because they have low EQ and so they need to work on that and they aren't ready to be in a relationship or they can't be trusted to interact with other human beings.

A couple of issues we've talked a lot about with regard to this is trust - together with a fear of abandonment - and communications. We know Paige was badly burned by Drew. He was absent, left her basically alone with a baby - and he cheated on her. We now also know that she feels her own mother betrayed her and abandoned her, and her father died - which many people feel as a type of abandonment, especially when it happens at a relatively young age. In the face of those situations, it's not surprising that Paige is very reluctant to be the first to make a move, or to engage in deep relationships with anyone other than Ralph. Additionally, she may be sincerely afraid of the depths of her feelings for Walter, and in particular afraid - as he is - that if she pursues a romantic relationship he may pull away - and ruin the friendship that she values and has come to depend on.

Ironically, given that she is Scorpion's liaison and was employed, in part, for her communications skills, Paige has exhibited a lot of problems expressing her true feelings - with everyone except Ralph. She kissed Walter and told him she cares for him only when he's unconscious. When she admits to doing this, she masks it as an "overly emotional" response to a tense situation. If I was Dr. Rizzuto I'd be pushing my nuttin' button, because that's nuttin' but a lie. On the rare occasions that she and Walter have discussed their feelings - or when she's discussed her feelings for Walter with others - she's basically followed his lead and gone along with whatever he says or just denied her feelings - they should be professional colleagues; she felt nothing from their kiss; she doesn't mind Walter speed dating. She puts a great deal of effort in convincing herself that she doesn't have the feelings she has - pushing forward with a relationship that she's put so much effort into denying is sort of counter-intuitive, no matter how much other people might recommend it.

~Heidi
Old 12-04-2016, 11:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Just wanted to share my random thoughts of the evening.

Quote:
We've talked a lot recently about Paige's issues, in part because she's often "allowed" to have issues because she's the "normal" one. In other words, if she has issues or does things that are inappropriate, no one calls her on it because, after all, she's only human and humans do that, right? But if Walter or one of the other geniuses exhibits a similar issue or flaw - it's all because they have low EQ and so they need to work on that and they aren't ready to be in a relationship or they can't be trusted to interact with other human beings.

A couple of issues we've talked a lot about with regard to this is trust - together with a fear of abandonment - and communications. We know Paige was badly burned by Drew. He was absent, left her basically alone with a baby - and he cheated on her. We now also know that she feels her own mother betrayed her and abandoned her, and her father died - which many people feel as a type of abandonment, especially when it happens at a relatively young age. In the face of those situations, it's not surprising that Paige is very reluctant to be the first to make a move, or to engage in deep relationships with anyone other than Ralph. Additionally, she may be sincerely afraid of the depths of her feelings for Walter, and in particular afraid - as he is - that if she pursues a romantic relationship he may pull away - and ruin the friendship that she values and has come to depend on.

Ironically, given that she is Scorpion's liaison and was employed, in part, for her communications skills, Paige has exhibited a lot of problems expressing her true feelings - with everyone except Ralph. She kissed Walter and told him she cares for him only when he's unconscious. When she admits to doing this, she masks it as an "overly emotional" response to a tense situation. If I was Dr. Rizzuto I'd be pushing my nuttin' button, because that's nuttin' but a lie. On the rare occasions that she and Walter have discussed their feelings - or when she's discussed her feelings for Walter with others - she's basically followed his lead and gone along with whatever he says or just denied her feelings - they should be professional colleagues; she felt nothing from their kiss; she doesn't mind Walter speed dating. She puts a great deal of effort in convincing herself that she doesn't have the feelings she has - pushing forward with a relationship that she's put so much effort into denying is sort of counter-intuitive, no matter how much other people might recommend it.
I want to add to this, but you just say it so well. Sometimes I feel we share a mind when it comes to Paige analysis - but you articulate it way better than me.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:46 AM
Elite Fan

It is fun when Paige comes up with a totally lo-tech solution to a knotty problem and the geniuses just sort of stand around like, "Yea - okay - that works, too."

~Heidi
Old 12-05-2016, 07:54 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I've seen this brought up several times now and I have to disagree. The difference between Paige and Walter, for me, is in their behavior. To use an example mentioned earlier in the thread, both Paige and Walter have experienced jealousy. That in and of itself is perfectly normal but, in my opinion, Walter's behavior in response to that emotion was unacceptable. I'm not saying that Paige responded in the most mature manner in Tech, Drugs, and Rock 'n Roll, but to me there is a huge difference between her making a few catty comments and Walter deliberately attempting to sabotage Paige and Tim's relationship. And Walter has displayed this type of selfish and inconsiderate behavior time and time again.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
It is fun when Paige comes up with a totally lo-tech solution to a knotty problem and the geniuses just sort of stand around like, "Yea - okay - that works, too."
Another way she helps is it saves time. Like, the geniuses always feel like they need to explain exactly what they're doing and why they're doing it, but Paige just acts.

I know it could be argued that "it's a show about geniuses, the average viewer doesn't know what this stuff is so they have to explain it" but I honestly think even if it was 'real' they would do that. They all have egos the size of their IQs, they like to show the extent of their knowlege and I can completely see them going into a long winded explanation of the plan even if everyone there already knows what they're doing.

Quote:
I'm not saying that Paige responded in the most mature manner in Tech, Drugs, and Rock 'n Roll, but to me there is a huge difference between her making a few catty comments and Walter deliberately attempting to sabotage Paige and Tim's relationship.
The problem is how the show treats it. It shouldn 't be "what Walter does is bad and anything less bad is acceptable." Walter sabotaging Paige and Tim's trip doesn't mean that Paige being a petty s lut shamer in 2.06 was okay. But still, it was played off as humor and no one told her to stop acting like a 12 year old. It's as if the show's belief is "well, she doesn't do anything as bad as the geniuses, so we're just going to let it happen with no consequences as if she doesn't have flaws at all." That's what makes me mad.

Last edited by WeBuiltThePyramids; 12-05-2016 at 09:56 AM
Old 12-07-2016, 03:18 PM
Elite Fan

One of the first things I did when I joined the fandom is go looking for videos of Kat's performance with Andrea Boccelli. I absolutely adore him - and the two of them together is fabulous.

One of the things I love most is that, unlike several others who have sung with Andrea, Kat does not try to outshine him. She truly sings with him

...and here's the video, if someone wants to see it.

~Heidi
Old 12-07-2016, 09:19 PM
Loyal Fan

What I really love about that video is how Andrea is holding Kat's hand throughout most of the performance. In spite of his blindness, it's almost like he's feeling the music through Katharine; they're so in sync, and like you said, Kat doesn't outshine Andrea like other artists. They have a beautiful musical chemistry that I will always admire.
WriterFreak001 Twitter Tumblr FFNAO3YT
Old 12-08-2016, 08:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Well her Instagram has been absolutely wild the past few days. *shakes head* What even is with people.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:59 PM
Elite Fan

Apparently they are all having a LOT of fun on set right now. It's all pretty goofy.

~Heidi
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top