Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2018, 05:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I was swamped yesterday, but not being able to sleep meant I was sad AND cranky.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I was a big part of the push to get The Mentalist a seventh season (which it did end up getting, 13 episodes to wrap things up; although its season six finale ended up working as a series finale, we didn’t know that when we were pushing for a renewal). And honestly watching these attempts to #SaveScorpion is almost physically painful because people are doing, well, pretty much everything wrong. And I'm gonna vent about that for a second because it's so frustrating to me.

1. It’s astronomically more difficult to save a show that’s already been cancelled. People are using Brooklyn Nine-Nine as a precedent, but NBC initially had that show and sold the pilot script to FOX, and they regretted it before the pilot even aired. They’ve basically been waiting in the wings to get it back. This organization that people are trying to do needed to happen when Scorpion still had (preferably 6-8) episodes left to air.

2. The “official” account for getting the show a season five drags its feet. They keep tweeting about how they’ll have a plan “soon.” As I’ve already mentioned, not only did this “plan” have to be a thing back in February/March, the show was cancelled two days ago now. If they wanted to trend something on Twitter, it really needed to happen two days ago (note that #SaveB99 trended literally within minutes of the cancellation notice and continued to trend into the next day). CBS is not constantly checking twitter to see our reactions and certainly not anymore. Their Upfronts are in two days, they’re working on that stuff now. If we had a ‘window’ it’s pretty much certainly gone.

3. None of these people have any idea how Twitter works. Trending is supposed to be difficult, and Twitter has safeguards in place to prevent spam accounts. In order to trend on purpose, there has to be a focused effort at one particular time – the @SaveScorpion account keeps telling us to keep tweeting lots with #SaveScorpion, and that’s counterproductive. If there are a lot of tweets over a period of several days but not enough to trend, that hurts the chances of it ever trending. Trends pop up when something suddenly gets a lot of attention it wasn’t already getting. When we got The Mentalist renewed, we had the generic hashtags we used to tweet about the show most of the time, and each week when we trended it, we had our #SaveTheMentalist one (or whatever it was, this was years ago at this point and I don’t remember the hashtags exactly) that we ONLY used when we were trying to trend. We trended almost every week for a while there. Trends also need at least one tweet with 100 retweets, and that needs to be a tweet that happens during the period where we are trying to trend. When I informed some people of this yesterday, they started suggesting we get tweets that already had 50+ retweets up to 100 to help it – that won’t work because those tweets are already hours old. ANOTHER THING is Tweets that are spamming the hashtag (like people using #SaveScorpion #RenewScorpion over and over again copy pasting to fill the tweet up) actively hurt chances of trending because Twitter files those as spam. In addition, tweets with more than two DIFFERENT hashtags in them also are filtered as spam, and it was never announced which of the popular hashtags (#TeamScorpion #ScorpionCBS #RenewScorpion #ScorpionSeason5) were supposed to be used, so some people used all of them (counterproductive as they were filtered as spam in the trend algorithm) or people all used different ones (also counterproductive as the trend algorithm didn’t know we were talking about the same thing). The @SaveScorpion account has also used the same hashtag twice in one tweet, i.e. “we need to #SaveScorpion make sure you use the tag #SaveScorpion!” Not only does that put it into the spam filter for trends, everyone retweeting it is also contributing to the hashtag being considered spam. Honestly I don’t know if it’s even possible for that hashtag to trend anymore, what with all the tweets over the past few days and with how many of those tweets were done incorrectly.

4. People are trying to prove points to CBS that are just kinda proving why they didn’t renew it in the first place. Like some of us HAD CBS-All Access and told them we would cancel if the show didn’t come back – we made good on that promise. Other people are now saying “I don’t have CBS All-Access but I’ll get it if you renew the show” and when CBS reads that they see “this show was on for four years and it never made me get CBS All-Access.” They aren’t losing those people’s money by cancelling the show because they didn’t have it in the first place. Ditto for people saying they never bought the DVDs/merch from the store but will if they bring the show back. A lot of this is just too little, too late. We knew from October the show was in danger, but people didn’t take it seriously until the finale had already aired (when I saw Kat in Chicago she kept on saying “watch Scorpion guys, we want season five!” And when I told that to people they were like “oh we’ll be fine The Cancel Bear says we should get renewed.” ) This show was on the bubble all year, and this big organization to save it happened after the season had already aired in its entirety, and then did so without warning (or even knowing, I suspect) that a good chunk of the effort was counterproductive or just seemed to validate CBS’ decision.

Everyone keeps tagging me in their tweets, and honestly, I'm just tired. I hate that this show ended with the team split up, I cried for hours when we found out we were cancelled, but at this point I've accepted that it's over. The result of that acceptance is two feelings when I see all the #SaveScorpion tweets - annoyance at wondering where all this was back when we were still airing episodes, and frustration at how much is being done wrong. Even though our chances of being saved are literally almost zero, it's still frustrating to me to see how much effort is being put out in ways that don't even count.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It does seem as if all these post-11th hour efforts are just extending the pain.

~Heidi
Old 05-14-2018, 04:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
It does seem as if all these post-11th hour efforts are just extending the pain.
Yeah, people are just setting themselves up to be disappointed all over again, and I can't put myself through that.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:07 PM
Dedicated Fan

Nobody in TV can seem to come up with a original idea I would not be surprised if Scorpion is brought back in a few years for the long awaited 5th season it has happened with X Files Roseanne and Will and Grace with original cast
Old 05-14-2018, 05:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

All three of those shows were much bigger hits than Scorpion ever was.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's better to just accept what has happened and do what we can to remember the show we loved when it was really awesome.

~Heidi
Old 05-15-2018, 05:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
It's better to just accept what has happened and do what we can to remember the show we loved when it was really awesome.
Exactly. And I wish people would stop tagging me in tweets about it because it just hurts and I'm trying to deal with this and people including me in dragging this out is making it harder.

One thing I am grateful for though, is the couple of people who are okay with the ending (the people who watch the show for nothing but Quintis and as long as they're together they don't care what else happens) aren't trying to make the rest of us feel bad for not being happy with it. They all get that most of us watch the show for reasons beyond one couple and that no matter what else happens, the show ending with the team fractured is a legitimate reason for us to be upset. When The Mentalist ended I know I had to deal with a lot of people saying Jane and Lisbon being endgame should be enough and that those of us upset with other stuff should just get over it (or they acted like they were better than us for being happy with the ending) and thankfully the Scorpion fandom isn't like that.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
Exactly. And I wish people would stop tagging me in tweets about it because it just hurts and I'm trying to deal with this and people including me in dragging this out is making it harder.

One thing I am grateful for though, is the couple of people who are okay with the ending (the people who watch the show for nothing but Quintis and as long as they're together they don't care what else happens) aren't trying to make the rest of us feel bad for not being happy with it. They all get that most of us watch the show for reasons beyond one couple and that no matter what else happens, the show ending with the team fractured is a legitimate reason for us to be upset. When The Mentalist ended I know I had to deal with a lot of people saying Jane and Lisbon being endgame should be enough and that those of us upset with other stuff should just get over it (or they acted like they were better than us for being happy with the ending) and thankfully the Scorpion fandom isn't like that.
I agree. I've seen a few comments like that from Quintis shippers who are basically happy, but understanding that many of us aren't. It's nice to know that what mild ship wars the Scorpion fandom may have had - and there was some rivalry there - fans are being supportive and not evil.

~Heidi
Old 05-15-2018, 05:52 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I am sorry but the ending just ruins the entire show for me I can't go back and watch again
Old 05-15-2018, 06:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I agree. I've seen a few comments like that from Quintis shippers who are basically happy, but understanding that many of us aren't. It's nice to know that what mild ship wars the Scorpion fandom may have had - and there was some rivalry there - fans are being supportive and not evil.
Yeah. And it's not like I'm not happy it ended with them together, literally everything else sucks but I'm legit happy they're together because it would have been even worse if they weren't. I just wouldn't be happy with this finale even if Waige was the ship that stayed together because I don't watch for one thing and since all the dynamics and the overall family aspect of the show is my favorite part of it, as long as the team is split up, I'm devastated.

This was a good show ship wise in the sense that unlike TBBT, Reign, Arrow, Supergirl, HIMYM, and so many other shows, there weren't any major ships that conflicted with each other, either canon or fanon. People shipped things harder than other things or flat out didn't ship something but it's a rare show where all the ships CAN end up together without interfering with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie (View Post)
I am sorry but the ending just ruins the entire show for me I can't go back and watch again
Then don't.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I have been getting back into reading lately. I used to read a book a day, but when my depression hit, I think I read two books for fun in a three year period. My goal for this year was to read 25 books, one every two weeks, since I started getting back into reading last year and wanted to try and push myself to keep doing it. I'm currently on my 14th book for the year.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow. Better than halfway through - that's awesome.

I don't read anymore - I listen. I'm big into Audible. But that's mostly because I can't read paper books anymore unless I have a really bright light, and that's just not comfortable. I can read on the Kindle or tablet, but since I already spend so much time on the computer, that's not terribly good for my eyes. I'd like to say that I listen to the latest current non-fiction and really pithy fiction, but these days I need what time I spend to be escapist. So I mostly listen to romance novels.

~Heidi
Old 05-22-2018, 03:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't look forward to when my eyes go because I can't listen to fiction for the life of me. Podcasts? All day long. But I've tried audio books and I can't focus.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I couldn't do the audio books either for a long time. A LOT depends on the reader. If I think the reader's voice will annoy me or is just otherwise not pleasant, I won't go there.

I actually got started with audiobooks because I used to sleep with the TV on all night. I would literally wake up if it went off for some reason, and if I was visiting with someone and couldn't have the TV on - I couldn't sleep at all. I didn't like the fact that I had this big, hot electricity suck going all night long, though - back in the days before LCD TVs. When I got my first Kindle to read books on, it had the Audible app and I realized I could run the Kindle all night with an audio book for way less juice than the TV used. I actually listen to about an hour of a book each night before I fall asleep, and I have to reset the book to where I fell asleep a lot, but it works great. I listen to the books a lot while I'm doing housework, or other stuff, too. It's really great for when I'm knitting or something else that I need my hands for.

~Heidi
Closed Thread   Post New Thread