Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2019, 07:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
She makes a lot of posts/stories about how she is conscious about not looking at stuff that will make her feel self conscious, so my guess is she does care a lot - or used to - but is self aware enough to know that's unhealthy and is actively working to dismantle that.
Which is even more impressive. It's so easy to get locked into the need to look like one is expected to look. I imagine there is much more pressure on actresses especially to maintain a certain body look and fashion look. If Tina is consciously working to diminish that focus in her own life, kudos to her. She also seems to encourage people through her posts to be aware if their own desire to look a certain way comes from within themselves or from outside influences. If it's something that a person is really interested in and enjoys - then that's fine. But if it's all to appease a societal or cultural norm, then it needs to be examined and rethought.

My niece is a total fashionista and never leaves the house without a totally together outfit and look. But it's her look, and she enjoys doing it. It's definitely not a reflection of anything society or culture demands. I get a kick out of seeing some of the things she puts together - a lot of which came from my mom's old 1950s and 1960s wardrobe.

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I read this a few days ago and honestly was like "you go girl." Veronica Mars star explains why she turned down season 4 return "The schedule reflected to me the diminished value of Mac."

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I mean, the producer is perfectly within his rights to take the show in a direction that might diminish the role of certain characters. But in the face of that, the performers are equally within their rights to refuse to participate in something that diminishes their role.

I'm not familiar with the show, so I don't know anything about how the character was developed over time, but I can imagine how it might feel if something similar was done to Scorpion. For example, if they told Ari that they were going to reduce Sly to basically an occasional walk-on who only provides marginal help with cases. After spending four years building up the fact that Sly is just as important as any other team member, it would be a shame to see that fall away.

~Heidi
Old 08-02-2019, 04:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, Roxanne said they've basically stripped away most of the character stuff and is now focusing on an overarching mystery so everyone feels like a super supporting character with the "main character" being the mystery. I wouldn't really want anything to do with that either, especially if I'm not Kristen Bell, who apparently was the only one who got any character stuff happen
Spoiler:

Reminds me of how part of the reason Cote quit NCIS was she felt that they were doing things to Ziva that she didn't like and the only way to "save" the character was to leave.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I suppose some folks might like a show like that, but for me, the development of characters is really what I enjoy about most shows. I would want to see how the characters deal with the mystery - based on their individual personalities, talents and experience. Otherwise it would feel like watching robots.

~Heidi
Old 08-04-2019, 06:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah - I love me some Agatha Christie, but there's a reason her stories are books and aren't multiole full length season TV shows.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Books can provide a lot more detail than a single episode of a television show, so you can still provide a lot of character background and development while concentrating on a mystery. Although you can argue that with 20 episodes of 45 minutes each, you have time in a television series to do both.

~Heidi
Old 08-04-2019, 03:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
Books can provide a lot more detail than a single episode of a television show, so you can still provide a lot of character background and development while concentrating on a mystery.
And I understand that, but in my Agatha Christie example, we were rarely given anything that wasn't relevant to the mystery.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Agatha Christie also works pretty well as a movie - but you don't get so invested in the characters in a two hour movie.

~Heidi
Old 08-05-2019, 07:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
Agatha Christie also works pretty well as a movie - but you don't get so invested in the characters in a two hour movie.
Yeah, exactly.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I doubt this is a universal thing. I'm sure many people are dedicated fans of TV shows and really only care about the mystery or the medical drama or the crimes or whatever the show is about. But a lot of people who are regular viewers of a TV show begin to feel like the characters are friends. Hopefully most fans still recognize the difference between the real world and the TV show, but there is a connection to those characters that makes them seem almost real. When you think of the characters as friends or family, you want to know more about them. You want to know what drives them; what are their problems; what are their families like; how did they grow up. You want to know all that backstory.

~Heidi
Old 08-06-2019, 04:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, even my mom, who is a VERY casual viewer in the big picture, she will get mad or sad if someone dies or breaks up (or in some cases will straight up cheer when people break up haha).

Old 08-14-2019, 03:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Love Tina's silver hair. It's very striking.

~Heidi
Old 08-16-2019, 03:36 AM
Absolute Fan

I saw her photo on Instagram. It suits her.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Since I come by it naturally, I actually love that grey and silver are popular hair colors these days.

~Heidi
Reply   Post New Thread